New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Caelyn

Caelee begins to catch on that something was amiss not based on the words she heard but by the demeanor of some of her family members. She is also a bit deflated to hear that wyverns and druids were unfriendly. She removes a small wooden bowl from her own kit and meekly passes it to the woman, avoiding the hares in favor of her own fruit and dried beef. Eating quietly, she starts observing the two new people more closely. Periodically she feeds Kess berries from her hand, and even throws a few bits of food to her wildfire spirit, which reaches out with its flaming tendrils and promptly chars whatever she throws.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 14/14
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

Nodding seriously at Aintas, Melian then shrugs. "There is wisdom in that. We just need to be sure to have one of us on watch duty at all times."

Melian then makes small gestures and mutters an easy incantation under her breath as the stew gets ladled out, flavoring it according to her siblings' taste, winking at Senna as she recognizes the trick.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Prestidigitation to flavor stew. "Wild bird broth a la highway bandit" doesn't sound delicious.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Cold sweat runs down Senna's face. She looks left to right, panicked. I...I...can't do this. I'm sorry. Im, Lyn. You are bandits. Why are you so honest with us? And you guys, why aren't you scared to be robbed? Senna stands up. She is confused, and demands answers. I was educated under the assumption that bandits are evil and need to be fought, not dined with. You did, too.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Im smirks at Senna's outburst, handing back the bowls (now full of stew) without reservation, while Lyn bursts out laughing. Not cruel though, it's jovial. "Dunno where you guys came from or where you're going but you're good for a laugh at least. You know what's 'evil'?"
    "Oh god, here we go. You've got her started now." Im was rolling her eyes, but still smiling.
    "The world's broken you know. The way it works. Nobles never have to work a day in their life. Merchants make their coin ripping off people just trying to put food on the table. Governments steal taxes from their 'subjects' to build palaces for themselves and hire soldiers to keep us out. And us? We're stuck scrabbling for table scraps. People with power stomp on those with none." Her eyes darken. She pulls out a flask from a hidden pocket and takes a deep swig before offering it to the party. It stinks of potent but cheap alcohol. "They all bleed the same though. Princes and paupers, they both die in ditches." She reaches across and takes one of the berries you've offered, holding it up to the firelight before popping it in her mouth.
    "But," Im interrupts, sitting back to eat her food, "we don't kill those we break bread with."
    "Bad for the soul." Lyn confirms. "We only know what we've picked up along the way about the Iron Crisis, but we're open books. What do you wanna know?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, you're high and mighty. Ever considered merchants are trying to stay afloat on their own? Not mention the people you guys kill and injure?

I helped at an infirmary of Oghma. Suffering is indiscriminate. We should be enjoying song and wine, art and love. Not stab each other for a piece of bread. According to your dialect, Lyn, you were once a noble yourself. What went wrong?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Lyn falls silent for a moment, before pulling another flask from another hidden pocket and taking another deep swig. Im answers for her. "Open book, yeah? Shouldn't have started if you didn't want to finish. Lyn, or should I say 'Lynette Du Tigra'," Lyn flinches at her full name, "was a noble. I was a maid working in the kitchens. For years, we watched her parents hurt people who couldn't say 'no' for fear of further hurt."
    "Well without going into detail, Father started hurting someone I cared about and wouldn't stop. So I stopped him. Forever." She took another swig. "Him and my whole bastard family. You'd do the same, if push came to shove. If someone started hurting those you loved, what wouldn't you do?" Lyn locks eyes with Senna.
    "A decade later and here we are." If you had to guess their ages, they were both somewhere in their mid-20s. "Here we are."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Senna locks her gaze with Lynette. I shot a guy like that yesterday. But it did not feel good. the priest stammers, holding back more personal information. I don't think that it helped at all.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas sighs. His sister was right, but he was not sure that it was now the time for high-minded morals.

"Senna, we were the ones who came and asked hospitality. Tomorrow, after we eat and sleep - in joint shifts, for protection - we will part ways."

When his has a moment of privacy later on, he whispers in her ear.

"Senna, is it better to stay with the bandits, so that you know where they are, or camp some miles down the road, and risk an attack? Remember, we are hunted ourselves. We cannot afford more enemies"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Caylee raises a hand to her mouth when Senna reveals what is going on in this small camp they've found. Bandits?!? She thinks. But they seem just like normal folk... She finishes the last of her stew with a gulp, setting about cleaning her bowl with her water skin as the conversation continues to become heavier and heavier. Soon her meal feels like a rock in the pit of her stomach. Things aren't helped when her wildfire spirit disappears in a loud whoosh behind her, which sours her mood even more. She pulls Kess into her lap and does her best to stay calm and collected. I can take first watch... I'm sure it will be fine...
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10

Although he's surprised to hear the two are actually bandits - what with their welcoming demeanor - Sam finds himself sympathizing with them. From the sounds of it... Lyn experienced something terrible when she was only as old as he and his siblings, maybe younger.

"Senna," reaching up, Sam tugs at the sleeve of her shirt, trying to get her to sit down. "We really don't know a lot about how the world out here is... try not to judge people so readily. C'mon, sit and eat."

Crawling over from one shoulder to another behind Sam's back, Grepha speaks up to say, "Just don't let them feed you idealized nonsense about freedom fighting. Rule and law exist for a reason. Look at them. Living like animals in the woods, barely surviving."

Waving Grepha away with his hand, under the guise of scratching his shoulder and back, Sam tells the two friendly bandits, "You shared your tragedy with us. Only fair we do the same. Last night, our foster father was killed while we were traveling. A fierce man in heavy armor, a priestess of some kind, a few archers, and some big lugs that might have been half-giants. Have you seen them?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas was eating his soup when Sam let's go of his ballista bolt of a question. For a second, as he tries to understand, Aintas remains with his mouth open, soup drooling.

"Sam! Of all the lame-brained..."

he stops and breathes from his nose. It is too late to fix that now. He then speaks, slowly and distinctly.

"Sam. There is noone to get you out of your messes now. We are not home. Do you think our...hosts would enjoy the attention of the people we met earlier? With Father? Do you think they will ask politely, if they meet?"

Not to mention selling the information.

"Next time, try and think before you talk."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 17/17
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Vyvian had been going to respond more to Im when suddenly everyone was shoving in front of her or blocking a clear angle where it wasn't going to involve Im having to turn her neck facing basically behind her at Vyvian who wouldn't be saying anything aloud. And then they just wouldn't stop making accusations, blurting out personal information, or asking questions to let her have the time or space to converse with the pair of bandits herself.

Later when things calm down she gathers up her siblings and says, "Could you all please stop telling people who we are, where we come from, and that people are hunting us? I feel like I shouldn't need to have to stress that last part since it's the reason you shouldn't be telling people these things. We don't know who those people were, so we don't know who might consider selling us out to them."

Later still, Vyvian insists on taking first watch with Im and Lyn. If anyone insists on sharing it, she insists they do so from "over there", pointing to somewhere that should be out of listening distance from those at the fire.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Caelee just blinks at Sam in surprise. She knew her younger brother could be tactless sometimes but... well this was just exceptional. She let her other siblings chastise him though. It wouldn't be helpful for the youngest child to feel like everyone was dogpiling him. Instead she began to ready her belongings to take first watch, only to have Vyvian insist on taking it instead. Caelee's blood rose in her cheeks and she almost shouted But I called dibs!, but she simply closed her eyes, sighed inwardly, and volunteered for second watch instead. I'm going to trance early. This whole evening has me... conflicted. Wake me in about four hours, Vyv, if possible. With that she finds a spot close enough to the fire for a bit of warmth but away from the bandit's tent, folds her bedroll into a pad for sitting, then sits cross legged on it, closing her eyes and letting herself fall into her mental exercises.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-06 at 01:21 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

"I expect you'll be shooting more than one before your trip's done." Im says, a hint of regret in her voice. "We didn't see any big armoured people yet, but chances are we'd steer clear if we did."
    "Aintas here is right though." Lyn motions to him with her flask, before taking another drink. "We couldn't care less about your backgrounds. Chances are we'll forget you as soon as you're out of sight - but you'll find most people aren't us." She leans back and looks at the sky, then, quietly, almost as an afterthought: "Maybe for the best."
    The two bandits play a quick game of rock-paper-scissors to decide watch order - Im won, meaning she gets to sleep and Lyn settles in by the fire with a blanket and her flask(s).
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #135

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian tries eating her megically-flavored stew as her siblings talk to the strangers. She feels bad for the two bandits; trauma was obviously at the root of their problems but she also can't condone indiscriminate banditry. She damn near chokes on her food when Sam blurts out their life story; the time it takes for her to stop coughing is enough for both Aintas and Vyvian to speak up. She nods vigorous agreement while the coughing subsides.

She catches Caelyn's attention before she trances, standing and following her to her chosen spot. "Let Vyvian take the first watch, Caelyn. She's good at this sort of thing. Then we can take a later watch together." She then pitches her voice lower. "And we can finish a conversation we started yesterday." She then gives her sister's shoulder a gentle squeeze and leaves her to her privacy.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Before Im goes to sleep she goes over to the pair and says, "If you don't mind, I'd like to talk to the two of you for a bit. Since we didn't get the chance to earlier."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure, what's up? But make it quick yeah. Girls need their beauty sleep."
    "Some more than others." Im punches Lyn on the arm lightly with a soft 'oi'.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian scratches her head, not sure this is really a "quick" conversation, but proceeds anyway, "Right. So first, I wanted to apologize for Senna. She hasn't experienced how hard the world can be. And even though she's supposedly 'not that kind of cleric', she still sees the world in black and white a lot. To me, it sounds like what you two did was brave and hard. And well, it'd be kind of a waste for this to be how that ends for you. Either way I mean, though honestly I'd bet you'll just get killed out here keeping this up. No offense."

There's a pause before she continues, "I don't see the world as dark as you described earlier either though. And what you say you're doing here, it's not making the world any brighter. Myself, I grew up without money or parents. Just a pack of urchins on the city streets. It... wasn't pleasant. I stole just to get by. So I know what that's like. And I don't think I'd ever want to go back to that. I was shown kindness, taken in and given a safe home. What that wound up teaching me is that it's a lot better to give than to take. I'm not saying you're in any position to do that right now, but you could be. I can't say for sure, but I think the people we're going to meet might know some people that could offer you a better life than this. For you and for other people. Because like I said before, I think you're kind of courage is better suited to better things."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10

Finishing his stew, Sam seems unbothered by the mass panic. He sets his bowl down on some towels from his bag and leans back against a tree, arms crossed. "Man, you're acting like I tell everybody our life story. I'm not sure how you guys plan to figure out who that guy was and where he went without talking to anybody." He kicks up his legs in front of him and folds them over each other opposite his arms.

"And when you go off grilling somebody like Senna did, and they be straight with you, they're worth being straight with back."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

"You say Senna's the cleric of your group but it seems you're the one trying to 'save our souls'." Lyn replies with a chuckle.
    "It's appreciated. Im bows her head slightly. "But we've been doing this a while now. We've had our share of close calls but always came through in the end."
    "Well there was tha-"
    "We're not talking about the Cult again." Im cut Lyn off with unusual sharpness. Lyn's mouth snapped shut with a grin. "You've probably got more to worry about than two ne'er-do-wells like us." You can't be certain, but she's looking a bit more introspective than before. Maybe it's just the light.
    "Anything else? If Im doesn't get at least 4 hours sleep she gets grumpy."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian makes a face at the "cleric/save our souls" comment like she honestly doesn't know which emotions to respond to that with. Then makes a point of sighing and replies, "Yeah that's fine. If you change your minds and decide it's worth traveling with us to where we're going for a day or two to find out if I'm full of **** or not, I'll convince the others to not make a big deal out of it. Goodnight Im."
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-06 at 05:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

At some point, Melian exits her trance and quietly moves near Caelyn to start her watch. She takes position near her sister, facing her slightly at an angle to cover a different sector than Caelyn, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness.

She lets the silence linger for a moment, enjoying the warmth of the campsite.

Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    "So, sister," she speaks softly to avoid waking the others. "You asked me about Labelas and Shevarash and Corellon last night. What did you hear, what do you know and what do you want to know?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm assuming we can just fit this conversation mostly anywhere during the night.

Perception: (1d20+3)[22]
    edit: oooooh Melian is a sharp lookout

Last edited by cigaw; 2020-04-06 at 11:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Caelyn blinked as she came out of trance to find her sister present. She turned her night eyes to the edge of camp and beyond, keeping vigil in a different direction to Melian as well.

Spoiler: In Elvish
    Show
    I know that they are Elven gods, but that's about it. You know me, I was always more focused on studying nature deities like Mielikki and Silvanus. I... sometimes don't feel like much of an elf at all. Does that make me a bad elf or a pointy eared human, do you think?
    The last comment was meant as a joke, but showed an inner conflict that had been troubling the druid for some time.

Spoiler: Elvish Again
    Show
    I probably wouldn't even know our native tongue if it hadn't been for your prodding. And it took me years to get it right. I still occasionally forget some of the grammar! It's just so much harder than common for me.
    Caelee is facing away from her sister, but she even sounds a little deflated on the subject.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #144

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian thinks for a moment before answering.

Show
    "Sometimes I feel like a pointy-eared fraud as well, Caelyn," she chuckles lightly. "I think there is something in our blood that transcends upbringing; I can feel an affinity for our traditions and I think you do too with your connection to Nature. We may not have been raised by elves but we're not apart from them either."

She pauses to consider her next words. She then speaks almost like giving a lecture. "My oath from last night was something I read about in a book - which should probably surprise nobody. The Seldarine - the elven pantheon - are led by Corellon Larethian, father to all elves and god of Magic. Labellas Enoreth it the god of Time, which I think makes sense for a people as long-lived as us. Shevarash is the god of revenge and loss, which I guess also makes sense for a long-lived people; I'm sure there's always cause for it. My request was for Shevarash to help me avenge father, with Corellon granting me knowledge of the Art and Labellas granting me the time to see it through because, if it takes hundreds of years, I will see it through. I also think you may feel some of the same rage I do, given your new fiery companion. Perhaps a manifestation of your own inner turmoils?"

Then, changing tack she continues. "You know, several older elven scholars would argue that Mielikki and Silvanus are but aspects of Rillifane Rallathil, the Seldarine god of Nature. Senna would likely be able to talk about this much more authoritatively than I can; personally I think it's been long disproved and in the end it doesn't matter. What matters is what you know in your heart. You know that you are an Elf. I do too."

"Am I always this longwinded?" she asks with a laugh.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Lyn is mostly quiet during her watch - but she does share some details about the groups they mentioned before, after a few more drinks. Both are new and making big splashes on the scene, maybe 6 months old at most. The Blacktalons are a human-centric bandit group who've been mostly preying up and down the main roads, focusing on trade shipments. The Chill seem to be made up of monster races - hobgoblins, gnolls, ogres, and the like. They Blacktalons came to recruit Lyn and Im and it ended in violence. "The only boss we have is ourselves," she concludes.

Im is silent throughout her entire watch. She may or may not be napping while sat up.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Caelee listens with rapt attention to Melian's words, considering them carefully. After her sister is done, she speaks.

Show
    Maybe... I was feeling very angry when I summoned the spirit for the first time. I guess I was reaching out for something to aid me in understanding what had happened, and aid in destroying the people who killed father. And nature... whether is be Mielikki or this Rilifane Rallathil, sent me help. I've never read anything about this type of summoning... this type of bond in the books of Candlekeep. There weren't too many texts on druids, though. I know I feel more powerful, and I don't think my new abilities are fully explored yet.

She reached down and pet Kess where he slept next to her side with one hand, the other hand reaching out and finding her sister's, wrapping around it and squeezing.

Show
    You're the very best elf I've ever known, Melian Galanodel. If I'm not a fraud, you certainly are genuine. I'd like to learn more about these elven gods. Is it terrible that what I really need right now is a book and we've just left Candlekeep for good? She giggles. You're pretty much always this long winded. I just assumed part of your wizard training involved giving long, dry speeches that went on through half a watch. Her eyes move up from the terrain to the horizon, where the stars are twinkling brightly.If I'm a real elf, and you're a real elf, where does that leave Vyvian? I never really thought about it while we were growing up, but she's human and an elf. Or is it one or the other? Do you think we should have this conversation with her too? Much as she gets on my nerves, she is still our sister, and maybe these words could help her feel better like they've made me feel better. Caelee then turns and shifts her body to face her sister, revealing a wide, happy smile. Thank you, Melian. I think I understand more now. And I swear too. But do I have to cut my hand like you did? I'm willing to, but that was a little scary... She draws the small blade she keeps for woodcarving and looks at her sister questioningly.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-07 at 10:22 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

True to their word, neither of the bandit women makes a move against you overnight. The morning brings a different threat though - rain. Large black clouds moved in from the west overnight, obscuring any chance of a sunny day. Just as dawn hits and you see first light over the eastern horizon your campsite is beset by what begins as a light constant misty drizzle, and looks to only get worse as the day goes on. Lyn and Im are, understandably, pissed. Their breaking camp has a lot more stomping and grumbling about than you might expect for first thing in the morning. It's practiced though, and they've got their horse saddlebags stocked and stored quickly despite the weather.

Lyn looks like she's ready to head out without another word but Im seems to cajole her into at least a farewell. They seem set on not going with you, at least this time.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-04-07 at 05:17 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

As the drizzle sets in, Vyvian wraps a cloak over herself. Before they leave she waves goodbye to Im and Lyn and says, "Until we meet again. Good luck with your terrible life choices!" and gives an exaggerated shrug and a grin. To the others she says, clearly intending to be loud enough to be overheard by the pair, "Glad we'll have a roof over our heads to ride out the rain and a warm meal soon!"
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-07 at 05:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Show
    "Hah! You may be onto something about longwinded speeches. You should have sat in on one of Tethtoril's lectures - or worse - Ulraunt's," she laughs.

"No Caelyn, you won't need any blood. Blood is a more of a symbol of your intent and devotion; your own flaming spirit is sign enough of your intent," she says as she squeezes her sister's hand back. "I'm... ashamed to say I've never considered how Vyvian handles her Elven roots. Most half-elves tend to resent her parents, never fitting in with either culture. Vyv is certainly not most half-elves, though. Talking might help; I've felt a bit apart from her lately, unfortunately."

After her conversation, Melian finds a secluded corner to study her spellbook and prepare for the day. She also leafs through her other book as time permits before packing her belongings. She's quiet as the dawn breaks bringing a gray and rainy day, and she checks on each of her siblings in turn and gently nudges awake the ones who need nudging.

She nods in the direction of their bandit hosts, unsure of what to say other than "Safe journey, for you and those you meet."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

As they break camp, Senna is trying to mingle with Vyv a bit more. She seemed a bit lost between the two other elves talking elvish. So, I wondered, Vyv, if you could teach me a few elvish sayings. Part curiosity, partially because exactly half of us speaks it, even though Melian can speak Draconic like me and Sam.