New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Caelee

As the first drops of rain start coming in, Caelee whispers a few words into her palm and casts a simple spell. A miniature cloud appears above her palm, and when it remains constant she gives a sigh and blows a lock of her hair back from her forehead. Rain, rain, and more rain. Then she smiles and pulls her cloak over her head just before the drizzle picks up. She watches Melian gather her things and begin poking and prodding the sleeping figures, and tries an experimental prayer in elven before packing up her own belongings.
    Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    Thank you for the life giving rain, Mielikki. Oh, and you too, Rillifane Rallathil. May it's water nourish the unicorn and the oak alike.

All packed up, she approaches her rising family and blows a few energetic notes on her flute to encourage everyone to ready themselves quickly.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 17/17
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

Vyvian raises an eyebrow in surprise, visibly almost voicing the questions of "why me?" and "why now?", and then shrugs and smiles and says, "Sure, I can do that. What do you want to start with? Useful phrases? Or maybe how to say our names?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Well. I WOULD prefer to start with rare and ancient dialects used throughout the Netherese Empire to deceiver ancient and important Elven texts. But I guess common phrases and some basic tips on conjugation and declination should be good for starters. If Senna tried to make a joke, or just waltzed through her personal preferences, you are not sure. She nudges a bit closer: Plus I feel kinda excluded with the two others barely speaking a word of common in the last twelve hours. she whispers at you. I'd have Sam and Aintas to talk to, but they're kinda simple-minded.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-07 at 07:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian rolls her eyes and replies, "I like talking to our brothers the best personally. I can usually tell what they're on about. The rest of you it's all just 'book words this, book words that, tree, god stuff, tree, god stuff.' " She says "tree" and "god stuff" while making little talking mouth puppet motions with either hand. She's very clearly sassing Senna, though this is standard Vyvian levels of sass, not annoyed Vyvian levels of sass.

After getting Senna to explain what "declination" means, she complies with the lesson giving. Focusing on practical phrases like: "Where is the outhouse?", "I would like a meal.", "I would like a place to sleep.", "I do not speak Elvish.", "No.", "Thank you", "Polite No.", "Empathic No.", "Yes.", "Greetings", and "Danger!".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10

Having slept in past first light, Sam is awoken by the droplets of water hitting his face. Sitting up with a wide, toothy yawn, he looks around and realizes he left some of his things out. He stuffs his towels and clothes back into his pack before they get too wet, along with the still-somewhat-dirty bowl he used to eat last night. Just in time, as the downpour starts to hit.

The damp weather doesn't seem to dampen Sam's mood though. He stands up and stretches, cracking his back and flexing his shoulders. "Aha! Thanks to whatever water goddess answered my prayers, I was just thinking I could use a shower," he comments, scrubbing his face in the rain while everyone else tries to cover up under branches or hoods. "After shaking hands with those two yesterday." Shooting the bandits a joking grin, he adds, "Not you, of course. I didn't even shake your hands."

"Stay warm where'ere the road takes you," he sees their gracious hosts off with a wave as they leave, making his way towards the Friendly Arm alongside his siblings.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn started to say something cross about Sam oversleeping, but held her tongue when she saw the dragonborn was just as excited for the day as she was. Why ruin his day with a reprimand? She had a soft spot for her youngest brother, despite his questionable habits. Ready for another day, Sam? Hopefully your clothes handle water as well as your scales, or else they'll hold the damp for days. Cloaks aren't simply a fashion statement. She scooped up Kess and deposited him in his bag where he could stay dry and warm. The rabbit didn't enjoy the rain nearly as much as she did. Reaching to her belt, she withdrew her mistletoe focus and passed it over her hands three times, whispering in druidic. After the third pass ten plump red berries appeared in her palm in a small pyramid. Anyone want some breakfast? They don't look like much but they'll feed you for a day. Plus they can heal, if only a little bit. I'll be making some everyday in case anyone gets hurt... or forgets to buy rations. Though between Aintas and I even that shouldn't be an issue. She popped one into her mouth and savored the flavor of the miniature strawberry, resisting the urge to eat more.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-07 at 11:22 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas spent his watch sketching his brothers as they are sleeping. He also draws Sam marching in the fire and the face of the half-giant who attacked them, from memory.

The other day, he takes his customary position in the marching order. When the rain comes, he takes the time to refill everyone's waterskins from dripping leaves. He remains silent and introspective the whole day.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

The morning (or what you judge to be morning - the light beneath the clouds is evenly dismal, so confirming the sun in the sky isn't easy) passes without incident until you come across what looks to be an overflowing stream. Under normal circumstances it would probably be little more than a stream, barely ankle-depth, but with the rain it looks to have grown to flowing past your knees at its deepest point. You can see a spot where it looks like some stones have been piled into where people (and likely animals) would usually cross the stream. A waterfall nearby is surging and the speed of the flow seems to have increased dramatically from where it usually is.

Spoiler: Senna and Caelyn
    Show
    You spot three figures (human males at a guess) lurking among the trees and bushes near the crossing. All three are crouched down and though it's a little hard to make out through the gloom and the rain, all three seem to be looking in your direction intently. You can't see what they're holding (if anything), nor what they're wearing.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

In an unusually happy voice, Senna proclaims. I've learned some Elvish. Vyv taught me. There is

Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    Danger!

around us. Surrounding us is
    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    danger

It is cold, sure doesn't feel so good.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

That's pretty good Senna! Caelyn smiles at her sister before turning back to the ford and frowning. We're being watched. There are three people waiting in the bushes and watching us. I can't imagine it is with friendly curiosity. If we try to cross they might jump us while we are split up. Maybe Vyv and I can send some arrows near them while Sam or Aintas... someone big I mean... yells at them to come out and present themselves. Caelee readies her bow, looking serious and a bit worried. She hoped she wouldn't have to kill anyone like Senna was forced to...
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #161

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

"Guess I'll hafta hang them out to dry next time it's sunny," plucking one of the berries out of Cae's palm, Sam bites into it, savoring the sweet juices. "Mm-mm. Very nice. How come you never made those before?" He asks, hooking his thumbs in his pockets and walking casually, clearly unprepared for any danger happening to appear.

Of course, he's so casual because he knows there's a pair of eyes on the back of his head. So to speak.

"You all will find many gifts beginning to blossom," the imp's haughty voice points out, almost as if bragging about knowing something they don't.

"Who'd have guessed we'd all see our powers grow so quickly," he comments pointedly over his shoulder, seemingly to the air or to himself.

Barbed tail whipping back and forth behind Sam's back, Grepha holds up a finger. "If you want to get something out of me, you'll need to earn it. How about a little wager?" She knows the dragon's weakness for a bet.

Again he seems to just be pondering aloud, "I'd wager we'll just have to see what happens."

"When the time comes and I have a physical form again," the imp begins, tapping claws against Sam's shoulder thoughtfully, perched like a looming gargoyle. "If you've bled from the time of this wager till then, be it by blade of foe or by pricking your toe on a bramble, you will obtain me some... ice cream. And if you go so far without a scratch, I will tell you the name of one sibling to whom you are related by blood."

"Ice cream?" the confusion on Sam's face is quickly replaced with surprise when Grepha reaches the second half of the wager. "Uh. Yes. Yes, I could go for some ice cream."

"A frivolous craving. But we must start our wagers small, Samuel. Besides, it looks like I'm going to win," Grepha points, drawing Sam's attention to where Senna and Caelyn have stopped and grown tense. Someone is watching them from the bushes.

"Huh? Oh. Do they look armed?" Sam quickly lowers his voice after realizing what's going on.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Caelyn ready her bow there's a short tussle in the bushes before one man is apparently pushed forward by his two companions, stumbling forwards almost dropping the large club in his right hand. "Uh...roight. You there!" He points at you with his weapon. "Hand over all your gold and goods and we might let you live!"He turns around, as if his friends said something before following up with "Yeah, and your weapons too!" He's dressed in ragged clothes, though his leather armour appears to be in relatively good condition in comparison. Prominent on the armour you can make out a sigil branded on it - what look to be bird talons
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Are you really trying to rob a dragon and his servants? Senna blatantly lies, tugging on Sam's cloak. His magical companions? she incants a simple light spell on her holy symbol.

Spoiler
    Show
    Setting Sam up for advantage on an intimidate check.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 14/14
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: Sleep (readied)

Melian smiles warmly at Senna's use of elvish, then furrows her brow at the meaning behind the words.

When the braver bandit steps forward, Melian puts one hand on her dagger preparing to draw it and her other hand performs the necessary motions to draw, shape and hold magical energy at the ready. She watches intently how the bandits react.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready Action: Sleep spell if bandits attack.
    • In case Sleep gets cast it affects (5d8)[30] HP

15. - Top - End - #165

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

"I might have spoke too soon. These ones look incompetent." Grepha lowers her crooked finger in disappointment.

Stepping forward, Sam retains his largely friendly demeanor as he looks the bandit over. This guy doesn't seem all that bright or dangerous. Or all that experienced either. The symbol on his chest is interesting though, and Sam recalls something Lyn and Im mentioned.

"Howdy there Blacktalons," raising a clawed hand, Sam waves casually without a care. "I'm rather attached to my hoard, sorry to say. Fortunately for all of us, the smell of burning flesh does nothing for my appetite! So how about you hand over your weapons instead and nobody walks away any crispier?" He grins a toothy grin, letting his flame organ flex and hiss a little smoke from between his jaws.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Intimidate:
    [roll0]
    [roll1] advantage

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas cassualy walks near the front and brandishes his glaive.

"And then run. Away."

Spoiler: OOc actions
    Show
    Intimidate help or whatever, since Aintas is actually proficient in that.
    (1d20+2)[20]
    EDIT: Now he rolls!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee raises her bow and reaches behind her for an arrow, then pauses. Her hands felt hot again, as though magical energy was building, begging to be released. Instead of an arrow, she brought her branch of mistletoe up to her bow string and begins to whisper in druidic.
    Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    Rillifane Rallathil, lend me strength. Stoke my flames and bring the terror of wildfire to these fools.

An arrow of flame appeared, mounted on her bow string like any other arrow, but it did not burn the string, the wooden bow, the mistletoe, or her hand. The arrow felt hot and powerful, as though the magic was hungry to strike out at her foes. Aiming at the lead bandit, she added her voice to those of her siblings to try to end this fight before it began.

You are outnumbered, outclassed, and ill equipped to deal with us. Drop your weapons, take your lives, and leave before you're burned.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Firebolt loaded and ready to go. Readied action to fire the "arrow" right at their stupid face.

Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-09 at 03:29 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Uhhhh..." The man looks deeply concerned and takes a few steps back, before dropping his club and spinning to dash across the stream. His two friends follow suit. Then, from across the stream you see four more erupt from bushes - their ambush plans apparently ruined. One, their leader, takes a moment to yell across at you "This isn't over! You haven't seen the last of us!" before following after his men.

They disappear into a treeline before you know it, and any sounds are washed away by the pouring rain, leaving only a large wooden club and their dignity in their wake.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #169

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

"I admit, I am disappointed," the imp watches the bandits run off, their green recruits trailing behind. "No entertainment, and another group of lawless lowlifes continue prowling the countryside. Are you proud?"

Sam shrugs and picks up the wooden club lying next to the riverbank. "A win's a win, right?" He turns and holds up the club to his siblings, "Didn't even have a sword. Think that guy was driven to this from that iron crisis stuff?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe. Maybe not. Senna still tries to wrap her head around the fact that she made a threat, and it actually worked. It was by large parts due to their large group size, the botched ambush and Aintas' and Sam's more impressive physique. But then again, Senna fought for her life yesterday. Maybe this adventuring thing is actually her thing. Can't go around asking every other robber in the woods about their tragic backstory, now can we? But thanks for helping me to these very useful elvish words.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee lowers her bow and the flaming arrow goes out in a puff of smoke. Some small part of her wanted to fire that arrow into the backs of the fleeing bandits. It even argued that they'd just come back with more trouble. But she shut that part of herself off and tried to ignore it. Well, that went better than expected. Good job, Sam. You sounded very scary there. She blew some stray hairs out of her face and turned her attention to the stream. They made crossing seem easy, so it should be easy for us too, right?
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas gives Caelee a mockingly hurt look.

"He looked scary?"

Tightening his cloak, he says

"Let's keep moving. That Inn must be close. Otherwise it would really be hard to light a fire."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian gives Aintas two consoling pats on the back and a knowing look as they walk forwards.

24. - Top - End - #174

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    Concentrating: --

Exhaling, Melian dismisses the energy she held and relaxes her grip on her dagger's pommel. She'd have to get a proper sword sooner rather than later.

"Good riddance," she says as the bandits retreat.

She then walks to the back of their marching formation, giving Sam a quick pat on his shoulder and Aintas a knowing nod as she passes them.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

With the bandits disappeared you are left with nothing but the steady, endless patter of rain, and a continuing path ahead of you. It's hard to enjoy the sights and smells of the countryside when you're fishing your boots out of bogs and trying to see further than 10 feet in front of you. Outside of the failed ambush, your path is mercifully quiet - presumably most are sheltering from the rain, giving you some degree of freedom even if your sodden clothes don't feel like it.

Eventually though the rain lets up, but it's still a squelching journey. You catch sight of the Friendly Arm Inn just as the last remnants of sunlight slip away. It's called an Inn but truthfully it's more of a castle - a walled keep that juts out of the landscape, being both inviting and defiant at the same time.

The gate is open and lit by torchlight, flanked by two armoured guards sat down, though they stand upon seeing you with their halberds in hand, though their stance is closer to 'lazy' than 'guarded'. "Ho there, travellers. Welcome to the Friendly Arm Inn. I trust you know the rules of conduct?"

Spoiler: Friendly Arm Inn
    Show
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

We come from a place with VERY strict rules. I know them...I think. Senna says. But maybe tell us any special rules you have. Also are there several tap rooms in there? This thing is huge, and we want to meet up with friends.

27. - Top - End - #177

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    Concentrating: --

Melian's mood darkens as the day's rain continues unabated. Despite her people's love of the wilderness, she hated being caught in the rain.

Catching sight of the Inn in the distance her spirits are lifted as she starts thinking of drying off by a nice warm fire. She pipes up for the first time in hours. "Don't know about you lot, but I could do with a nice hot bath and a change of clothes."

Once at the actual gates she takes the time to look around while the others talk to the guards.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas waits, wet and cold, for his more diplomatic siblings to smooth their entrance to the inn.

29. - Top - End - #179

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Rain itself isn't too much of a bother. Sam even kind of likes it. But there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. When the water began bogging them down and got higher than his boots, that was when his patience ran out. Wet and drooping, he trudges up to the walls of the... inn? Sam sighs in relief, stepping onto the drawbridge to take off his boots and dump out any excess water.

"Um," he makes a thinking face at the guard's question, then guesses, "Be excellent to each other, and party on?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian didn't terribly mind the rain, in thanks mainly to he waterproofed leathers and boots so she was soaked through and through like most of the others (which is not to say she was especially "dry" either).

She gives Sam an amused smirk at his remark.