New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

"Well that's about the long and short of it. No stealing, no fighting, keep your weapons in their sheathes and arrows in their quivers and we'll all get along like flies on ****. Head inside, and then up into the keep, you can't miss it." He waves you through with a smile and sits back down.

You walk through into an expansive courtyard overshadowed by the enormous keep ahead. To your left is a small row of squat houses, to the right are some stables and what looks to be a smithy. Past the keep, you spy a small stone building marked with the symbol for the gnome god, Garl Glittergold. Between the weather and night having now fallen there's few people outside milling around - a stablehand, a woman sat in a chair knitting outside what you presume to be her home. The entrance to the keep is still ablaze with a welcoming light though.

Crossing the threshold is an assault on the senses. The night was quiet, punctuated with the dripping of water and aimless clutter of the few, but inside is bright, boisterous and loud. The wet stone scent is replaced by the pervasive scent of roasted meats, steamed vegetables and hard ale. Almost all tables are full of travelers, some merchants, some soldiers, some who may be adventurers. Between them servers (both men and women) weave their way in between the throng of people providing drinks and collecting empty tableware. Off to the left are a set of stairs leading further up into the keep, off to the right is a small door that looks to lead to the kitchens, and at the far end is a gnome stood behind a long bar, heartily making conversation with a few guests who are pulled up with stools. If any guests pay attention to you, it's fleeting and they quickly go back to their drinks.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Table for six please. Senna says to the gnomish barkeep politely waiting until it is her turn, which may take a while. She looks around, half shouting over the noise. We would like two jugs of water and ale, six portions of your meal of the day, and rooms for the night. Thank you!
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-10 at 02:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

"Blessings to you friends, and welcome!" The gnome replies. "Looks like you may have had some hard times on the road, welcome welcome. For the food and drink that's 3 gold 4 silver. For rooms you can double up at two to a room for 8 silver a night or a room each at two gold a night." After confirming your room details, he takes your gold he swiftly jots down a few details on a wax tablet and points you to one of the few free tables in a corner, while he passes it off to a server. It's not long before the food and drink reaches your table.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --

"I'm fine doubling up to save a coin or two," Sam suggests. "Only two guys, so Ains and I can just double up, right?"

"What am I, chopped liver?"

The half-dragon takes a seat at their table, leaning back and folding his legs under the table. "Sooo," Sam taps a claw on the table awkwardly, mood dimming as thoughts of Gorion come back to the surface. "Who were we supposed to find here again?" He stirs some vegetable soup while he looks around the tavern for anyone who stands out.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+1)[21] Insight? to read the room.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 17/17
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

"I'll room with Senna tonight. We can continue your elvish lessons." Vyvian says, the last bit to Senna.

When the food arrives, Vyvian immediately digs in and thinks back to her boast to the two bandits and nods to herself approvingly.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 14/14
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

As Melian's senses are assaulted by the cacophony inside she allows herself to relax slightly, unconsciously feeling safer within the stone walls of the keep.

She takes a seat, fills her siblings' mugs from the flagon of ale and raises her own in a silent but obvious toast.

After taking a long drink she sighs and says in a low voice "Well, I guess we should try to figure out who Khalid and Jaheira are. The bartender seems friendly with the locals, maybe he knows of them?"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas takes his tome to get comfortable, making sure his cloak is set to dry, that his polearm is in noone's way and finally, that he has room to stretch. With a content sigh, he lets the warm seep in his moist clothes. He is at peace with the world, so much that even sharing a room with the prone-to-party-in-inappropriate-hours Sam does not cause him to shy.

But Melian 's ida is the correct one. Food is not ready, any way. He rises and goes searching for the gnome. When he locates him, Aintas says

"Excuse Master Innkeeper. I am looking for two acquaintances of my father, two travelers by the name of Jaheira and Khalid. Would you know if they are still here?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Senna forks over 7 gold pieces.Three rooms for tonight then, six people. Give something of the extra money to our server. I know she will deserve this tip by midnight. Like a good little duck, she picks up some of the order on her way over, helping the server.

As she sits down, she takes a good swig of water: I paid for the food and shelter, and since Gorion gave us our money to share, we should do so. However I did not realize life on the road was this expensive, so barring a few rations to get to Nashkel to help the two rich nutjobs, at least I am essentially broke. Senna sighs, eating a small hunk of bread and a few spoons full of stew. I feel uncomfortable with charging for one's life but we should maybe offer our magical services. I can assume at least some people here could need healing.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

"Jaheira and Khalid you say?" The gnome looks at you thoughtfully, with skepticism in his eyes. "And who might yo-" "It's fine, Bentley." A female voice cuts him off, and you turn to see a half-elf pair who had appeared seemingly from nowhere. The man is handsome, with a rugged beard but his charm is offset somewhat by the nervous twitch in his eyes and hands, setting his metal armour jingling with each movement. The woman's expression is harsh, and from her gear you can judge her to be at home in the outdoors - browns and greens, with an ornate leaf pattern woven all across her leathers. Her confidence is clear through every part of her - stance, face, eyes, movements. All speak to someone full self-assured, the polar opposite of her companion. She locks eyes with Aintas before glancing over to your table. Then, without a word, drags two chairs over and seats herself, the man meekly taking a seat behind her. She speaks firmly, directly, without hesitation.

"Where is Gorion?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #190

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

When the two of them take their seats at the table, Sam looks to his other siblings and says cheekily, "I found 'em."

His expression dims when word of Gorion comes up, and he nurses his mug of ale, swirling it hesitantly. His body language says it all before he ever gets a word out. "You were his friends?" Sam asks, looking between the stoic woman and the twitchy man. Twitchy in a different way from the one they'd seen on the road, he thinks. Hopefully.

11. - Top - End - #191

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian watches intently as the newcomers join their table, trying to get a sense of them. She gives Sam a gentle nudge at his joke before becoming serious again.

She takes a moment to collect herself and speaks in an even voice. "There was an ambush and father didn't make it. We buried him as best we could." Though her voice almost wavers before she finishes speaking, Melian tries to gauge their reaction to the news.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to gauge their intent and learn something about them. Do they also wear Harper pins like Gorion? Anything to give out allegiances or devotions?

Insight: (1d20+1)[19]
    Investigation: (1d20+5)[10]
    Perception: [roll]1d20+3[roll] 18
    derp. roll was done here.
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-04-11 at 01:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

"Were? Then..." The woman trails off. "We're s-s-sorry for your l-loss." The man stammers out, filling in the silence. It's enough to allow her to regather herself. "I am Jaheira. This is my husband, Khalid. We knew Gorion for years and worked with him many times. We were told to meet him...and you all, here. He wrote of you all often." She leaned forward onto the table, glancing at each of you in turn. "Could you tell us everything that's happened, from the beginning?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on:

Taking a seat at the table, Caelee whispers thanks to Senna. She'd spent the last of her own money in Candlekeep. She had no mind for gold and silver. She eyed these two new figures. Friends of father... who have worked with him many times. Doing what, I wonder? She drinks again, leaving the telling of the tale to her brothers and sisters, and instead observes Jaheira more closely. She has the looks of a skilled woodswoman about her, and that intrigued the young elf.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

With not much to do but follow, Aintas does exactly that. He takes his position at his table and lets the conversation flow, trying to gauge the two strangers.

Show
    Insight (1d20+4)[7]

"Our father woke us up at the very early dawn. We traveled way after dark and then we were ambushed. A strange cleric with an accent, a giantish kind of man and several monstrous retainers. Father died trying to protect us. We have been on the road for two days. We came here.

How about some reciprocity, now? If he wrote of us often, then you surely know our names. We are quite distinct from each other.

And after that, some information. What is happening?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Jaheira glares at Aintas, the look of a disapproving teacher. It seems well-practiced. Even if she's not taller, she's still looking down on him. "N-n-n-now now, dear, he's r-right to be s-suspicious." Khalid takes a moment. "Y-you're Aintas. Sam's the big one of course." He points, gently, at each of you in turn, seemingly gaining a mite of confidence as he speaks. "Quick-fingered Vyvian. Melian who spends more time searching for secrets than doing her chores. Playful Senna. And Caelyn, who so yearns for the outdoors beyond the walls." His smile is sincere and kind as he finishes.
    "It was Gorion's wish that if...anything should happen to him that you would come into our care and raise you in his place, but looking at you now...you're all grown." Sadness tinges her voice. Her demeanour softens, and for a moment the edge of her expression vanishes. "I doubt you're looking for another home, if what he wrote about you all is true." "T-t-time to f-fly the nest, eh?"

"We're not familiar with this cleric or...giant man, but we can see if any of our contacts have heard of them." She offers.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

The cleric had a Kara-Tur accent. She served....uh, did anyone get that? Senna asks around. Sheepishly, she adds. Thank you for your help, Jaheira, and for your kind words, Khalid. Do you also have a way how we can help you in any way? Father had a peculiar pin on his person, and an ominous letter.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian shrugs in reply to Senna's question. Gods-stuff was Senna's hobby, not hers afterall.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I GOT IT! Senna shouts. I remember where I saw this holy symbol. It was some odd story about seven amber spheres, granting a wish to a monkey. The god waswas a large lung dragon coiled around a large, black-bladed sword. It's the symbol of Chan Cheng, one of the Nine Immortals of Kara Tur, the god of bravery, war, martial arts and combat.

19. - Top - End - #199

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Sam smiles softly at Khalid when his name comes up. "It's good to meet friends of father. It's good to see friendly faces at all." He holds out one of his large hands to shake with the stuttering man. "I am, in fact, Sam. Though I would argue Ains has gotten bigger than me." He jabs his brother in the elbow.

"We're kind of lost as to what to do next," Sam admits, going back to his usual relaxed posture. "We heard there's some kind of iron crisis going on. That's all we've really learned."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Jaheira takes the letter and pin, though she barely glances at the latter as she unfurls the paper. Khalid shrinks a bit at the bloodstains though she doesn't react. They both scan it quickly. "Gorion had this?" The pair look at each other, a silent conversation being exchanged entirely through looks. Then she folds the letter and slipps it into her cloak. "We...need to verify this with our colleagues." "O-o-o-of course along with the cleric you m-m-mention. How many Kara-T-t-turians can there be this end of the Sword Coast?" He tries a reassuring smile but his mouth twitch makes it a little less than perfect. Jaheira sits back, lost in thought.
    "The Iron C-c-crisis started a year or two ago. Slow at first, but it's g-g-gotten worse. It started in Nashkel, where the ore started coming out weak and b-brittle. The Gate could have managed through trade, but..." "Two new bandit groups have sprung up harassing supply lines, and on top of that tensions with Amn to the south are rising. It all seems too coincidental." "S-s-some thing it's the zhentarim, others Amn, or another foreign power. No one's really sure, that's p-p-part of why we're here."
    "This," she taps her cloak where she stashed Gorion's letter, "is more important though."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Some guys mentioned their faction is being blamed with the Iron Crisis though. Senna adds. We met two of their agents at the Lion's Road. They offered us payment. We are thinking of taking the job, seeing as we are basically broke. We didn't get who they work for. Small scary halfling. Lanky mad robed man.

Senna looks at Sam during mentioning his and Aintas' height and size. You're pretty small for a dragon, I'll give you that. But twice as enamored with yourself, mister. Say, I have noticed, you are often talking with yourself. I don't recall you ever doing that before.

During her talks, Senna seems to look at the other people in the guest room. It was loud but there were the possibility of eaves' dropping. Not that they were particularly subtle by waltzing in with a half-dragon, a cleric and an elvish entourage that looked like they came straight from Suldanessalar.

22. - Top - End - #202

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

"Hold there a moment," Melian says as she places a hand over Gorion's pin, preventing Jaheira from pocketing it. "I grant you that you knew our father and obviously corresponded with him but you will not simply take the few mementos we have of him by alluding to some ill-defined 'colleagues' that must be consulted."

Her voice isn't angry but her brow furrows seriously, lending gravity to her voice. "It is obvious you know more than you let on; the letter you wish to inspect says as much. We have told you what has come to pass; it is now your turn to share."

23. - Top - End - #203

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

"Maybe we should check on Nashkel while you two look into the letter?" Sam suggests, taking a slurp from his soup. He doesn't respond to Senna right away, faking chewing on something. It's pretty obvious since he typically tears into things and swallows them in big chunks.

"Just been thinking a lot since we left, I guess." He blows off the question with a shrug and silences any rambling he might do with another spoon of soup.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Jaheira hovers her hand over the pin, but ultimately pulls it back empty, leaving it on the table. She doesn't return the letter. "Of course," Her voice is softer. "My apologies." "We s-s-suspect some things, but we don't k-know anything, yet." "We'll tell you everything once we have facts and not guesses." It was said with a finality that said she wouldn't be convinced otherwise.
    "We'll s-s-stay here for tonight and head out tomorrow morning. Once we've confirmed what we c-can, we will look to m-meet you at Nashkel. Ah! B-but don't wait for us. It could take some time." Khalid leans back in his chair, a sudden wave of fatigue writ over his face. "It is about t-time we turned in. You're probably t-tired t-too."
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-04-12 at 05:33 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian just waves them goodbye and asks one of the staff if there happens to be a bath.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-12 at 05:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian smiles softly as Jaheira allows them to keep Gorion's pin. While she isn't satisfied by their answers it will have to do for now. "Very well then," she says as she stands up and drains the rest of her ale. "I was good to meet you two. I need to check with the Innkeeper for some odds and ends and will see you all in the morning. Caelyn, I'll be up in a bit."

She moves to the bar and catches the gnome's attention, suddenly missing Winthrop's booming voice and jokes. "Good evening sir, I was wondering if you had some... unusual items I may borrow? I'm looking for a small brazier and maybe a sprig of rosemary from the kitchen?" She looks expectantly at him. She then brightens up and asks "Oh, I'm also curious about how this sizable Keep became an Inn. There must be an interesting story there."

Show
    The brazier and rosemary are for the Find Familiar ritual; Melian will spend the 10gp and this is really just RP and fluff and who knows maybe the gnome with a name like an english car will recognize this.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

I will see you soon, sister. Caelyn nods to Melian as she heads for the bar. She turns to watch Jeheira go, her eyes betraying her desire to approach the woman, but in the end she resolves that she will better prepare herself for their next meeting to ask her about her profession. Caelyn finishes her meal and heads upstairs to the room she will share with her elven sister, settling down on the bed in a cross legged position to trance for a few hours, intending to be in the common room in the morning to question the woman over breakfast. She spends her trance thinking of the best way to approach her and what questions she should ask.
    The Bear is Back.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian pops by Caelyn and Melian's room before taking her bath. Finding just Caelyn there she says, "Hey little sister. Can you spare a moment?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn opens one eye when Vyvian steps into the room, then both eyes a blink later as she approaches. I've got time. I want to get up early tomorrow to try to catch Jaheira, but a few minutes talk won't affect that. What can I do for you, Vyv? She wiggles her position on the bed to get more comfortable, her butt awkwardly close to falling asleep underneath her. Her armor and most of her clothing lie spread out to dry, near a fire if possible. She wears a simple bed robe that falls just above her knees. When Gorion first bought it for her she'd been inches shorter and it fell nearly to her ankles, so it didn't fit that well anymore, but it reminded her of a simpler time- a relic of her more awkward teenage years.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian notes that Caelyn has already changed into her bedclothes and frowns a bit. "Ah. Well I had two things I was hoping you might do. Neither of which I think you'll be doing now that you've already changed your clothes. The first was I was wondering if you'd be willing to find me some nice flowers I could give out as gifts later. I didn't see any as we came in, but I was a lot more focused on getting indoors. I know you don't really mind the rain and figured you'd have a better idea where to find them than I would."