Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 17/17
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

I'd be happy to try to find some outside the keep after I trance. I should have HOURS of free time before anyone else wakes up, and the night won't hide pretty flowers from me. Is that soon enough or do you need them in the next few hours? Caelee looks to her clothing and back to Vyv, eyes showing curiosity of her older sister's intent warring with her desire to be comfortable after a long day. And what is the second thing you require?
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Vyvian shrugs, "Whatever's convenient for you is fine. Right. My second thing was that I was thinking maybe since I'm teaching Senna some elven, and we all saw how useful that was today." Vyvian gives a prideful smile before continuing. "Maybe you could teach Sam? I'm sure you and Melian don't want me to teach him and well, you don't want Melian teaching him do you? She'll waste weeks trying to make him memorize book words he doesn't need to know. And think how happy it'll make her that we did something besides bicker for once." She gives a smirk to express an idea something like "that's an exaggeration, but you and I both can recall times it's clearly annoyed her".

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee bites her lip and considers Vyv's words carefully before responding. I can try. I don't know if I'd be a better teacher than Melian, but as long as I can keep my grammar straight teaching him should help my own mastery of the language. Is your goal to teach elven to everyone so we can all share a language some people won't understand? Because I think that would be wise. She looks unsure of her ability to instruct, but definitely sees the benefit of the idea.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian nods and says, "Yeah that's the idea. Well to be fair it was Senna's idea, but it was mine to include Sam so it's all of us."

She notes Caelyn's look and says, "Hey. If I can teach Senna, I'm sure you can teach Sam. If he balks, just tell him we could use it to help him cheat at cards or whatever you think the little scamp will bite for." and gives a smirk at implying their draconic brother is more fish-like than draconic.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

I'll make sure to collect some flowers for you first thing. You'll have them by the time you wake. She smiles at Vyv's comparison of Sam and a fish, taking a few moments to consider the visual. I'll do my best with Sam. You've got a good idea on how to get his attention, and I think I'll borrow it. Soon enough we'll be able to have secret conversations as a family. Caelee flashes a winning smile at her sister.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas has been watching the conversation, eating and drinking his share. When the conversation dies down.

"Before we all settle for the night, we should consider what to do next. Going to Nashkel is just fine by me, but perhaps we should look around if there is any work to be done around here, or on our path to Nashkel? If we pool our resources, we have perhaps five days worth of money.

Let's ask around. Who wants to come with me and ask the innkeeper?"

With any of his siblings that take an interest, and if noone objects, Aintas goes to meet the gnome again. Catching his eye, he says

"Master Bentley, a question. Would you know if anyone is looking to hire help? Someone around here or going to Nashel?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Int to see where Nashel is. He is supposed to have a good mind for maps.
    Int (1d20-1)[6]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Earlier

"Yeah, that seems like a good idea. Not sure we'd have enough funds to get us there even if we took a direct path and... I honestly don't see any reason we have to. I'm in no hurry to meet those two creeps again." Vyvian replies to Aintas and comes with him to inquire about potential jobs.

Later

Vyvian smiles back, pleased everything went over so well. You could never tell with Caelyn. Sometimes she'd just explode over the most random things. "Huh." she accidentally says aloud as she thinks to herself that it's not surprise her druid magic took on the form of fire afterall. Before Caelyn can question the accidental outburst she waves it away, indicating it was some unimportant thought. And then winds up somewhat awkwardly sitting there in silence as it eventually becomes apparent to Caelyn that Vyvian was expecting her reaction to go find Sam and start teaching him right then and there.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-12 at 11:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn blinks a few times in the awkward silence between her and her older sister. Like Vyv, she is anxiously waiting for the conversation to take a wrong turn. The half-elf just knew how to push Caelee into a frustrated, fighting mood. When she finally understands what Vyv intends, she sighs lightly and climbs down off the bed, shakily standing up and heading for her clothes. There may have been a time when she wouldn't have thought about entering a hallway potentially full of strangers in her night clothes, but this was not Candlekeep and she kept some level of propriety in mind as she put on her pants. Once she is at least half dressed, she knocks on Sam and Aintas' door, intending to get a couple of hours of instruction in before resting.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Later

Vyvian hangs around until Caelyn leaves, thinking about waiting for Melian to come back and then remembers she needs to take a bath and teach Senna some more elvish tonight too. So a private conversation with her eldest sister will have to wait for another time. She makes sure to lock the door behind her when she leaves.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Senna goes around the table with her stool, pushing the others away, whispering into Sam's ears. You know I am concerned for your well-being, Sam. You...no we were always a bit weird. But you're not yourself since the incident with the armored man. Talk to me about it. I can't force you but I ask you. As your friend, as your sister. With that, Senna adds loudly: Sorry, I ordered the stew for you too. You're more of a meat person, right?

She turns to Aintas: We have the option to check the larger town in between, Beregost, but both our leads point towards Nashkel for now.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-13 at 07:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Jaheira and Khalid slip off to their room quietly, any discussion they might have had together was kept silent until they had left the room. They were truthful, best as you could tell, in what they told you, though they were clearly not entirely forthcoming.

Melian -
    "Aye, no doubt we can furnish you with those." Bentley replies. "Spellcasting I take it? I dabbled a bit in my early days but my wife was always the expert. This keep used to be a stronghold for a cleric of Bhaal. Evil witch terrorised the countryside for years. Well, me, my wife and my friends decided we'd had enough and-" One of the men at the bars interrupts with a 'Here we go again!" "Shut up lad, it's a good story!" Bentley yells back jovially, but with a bit of red to his cheeks. "Well to cut a long story short, we killed the cleric and claimed the keep. So we retired from adventuring, me and my wife. You probably saw the temple outside - she's the head cleric there. My friends are still around and they stop in on the regular." You weren't quite sure when he'd sent off the request for the materials, but no sooner had he finished speaking that a server arrived holding the requested items out to you. For all its rambunctious atmosphere, the inn seemed to be ran like a well-oiled machine.

Aintas -
    "Head south and you'll hit Beregost in about a day. Keep going and you'll hit Nashkel in another. You can't miss it if you tried, and believe me I've seen some people who've tried!" Bentley replies with a laugh that's matched by those at the bar. "As for work you'd have better luck going south than sitting around here - most folk just come and go rather than putting up notices. Ah! There was one though - Joia, lass who helps out at the stables, lives in one of the houses you passed by, she got robbed a few days back by some hobgoblins and needed some hands to help get her ring back." He pauses thoughtfully. "Trouble is she's got no money to make payment with, since she got robbed and all, so most folk turn their nose up at it."

Spoiler: Rooms
    Show
    Your rooms, three adjacent, are off to one side on the third floor accessed by a side staircase. Each is roughly 20' wide and 40' long with two beds, two chests for storage, a desk and two stools, and of course a large tub to be filled with hot water (at request) for bathing. At the end of the hallway leading to the rooms are two toilets. The beds are fluffy and spacious. Bentley's finances must have been impressive to furnish rooms like this, but he wouldn't be the first adventurer-turned-landowner who had bags of money on hand.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 14/14
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

Melian edges over to where Aintas is to keep listening to the gnome, her hands occupied by a brazier, charcoal and assorted herbs. "Aintas, much as I'd like to make some coin I think we should help those we can. Maybe bring it up with the others in the morning?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas nods his agreement.

"I believe you are right. It will also be a good test on how we can operate as a team. We can use the practice. And it would be good to have a sympathetic ear and someone to put a good word for us somewhere."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10

Laughing awkwardly, Sam rubs the back of his neck and waves off Senna's pestering. "I like vegetable soup actually."

Lurking on the chair Aintas vacated, Grepha looks up with an eye roll. "She's going to find out sooner or later."

Flicking his eyes down to the chair, Sam takes the last of his soup and chugs it down out of the bowl. Then he looks back at Senna with the most serious face he can muster. He reaches out and places a clawed hand on her shoulder. "Senna. I hear demons in my head."

"I'm not a bloody demon!"

Unable to resist taking a comedic cue, Sam suddenly hops off of his stool and practically prances away up the stairs to find his room. Grepha is yanked off of her chair, unable to get in the air before the pact chain snaps taut, and dragged invisibly behind Sam, yowling like an angry cat.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 14/14
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

Nodding agreement, Melian awkwardly tries to give Aintas a pat on the arm but, her own arms being full of arcane accoutrement, she ends up just sort of bumping him. "Agreed. Well, I'm now going to work on a hot bath and a tactical advantage," she says indicating the items she's carrying. "Sleep well, brother."

After a step or two she stops. "And many thanks for the story and the odds and ends, Bentley. You shall have these back early morning!"

Melian makes her way upstairs, dodging patrons here and there. Finding her own room, she enters and finds it empty. Gently laying the items on the unused bed, she makes good use of the bathtub and allows herself to relax and the tension in her shoulders to melt away.

She hangs her travel clothes up to dry and with practiced ease wicks the moisture away with her magic. She does the same with Caelyn's clothes and moves them away from the fireplace to prevent them from smelling of smoke.

"Now to the business at hand," she says out loud to an empty room. Taking some of her chalk she draws a summoning circle on the floor, making sure the lines are precise and the sigils correct. She places the brazier in its center and lights the charcoal, laying rosemary, thyme, bay and incense atop it to smolder. She breathes in the scented smoke and opens her spellbook, beginning the long incantation to summon a familiar. As she chants the old arcane words, she begins visualizing a piece of herself, of her essence, and starts giving it shape and purpose.

She then stops abruptly, not interrupting the ritual but bringing it to a stop and opening her eyes. Something she had read on her secret book came to mind, how the oldest, bravest warriors of Evermeet rode ancient dragons of tremendous power in ages gone by. She smiles and continues the ritual, shaping the raw essence into a winged creature, smart and bright-eyed, a dark crimson in color. As she opens her eyes, a tiny dragon stands before her, head tilted inquisitively as it takes in its surroundings.

Ritual complete, Melian breaks the circle and magically extinguishes the charcoal. She faces her familiar, letting their sense meld and then names it. "You are of me and also your own. You are Fëanáro - Spirit of Fire."

Suddenly very tired, Melian cleans the chalk marks from the floor, sets aside the items she borrowed, and then curls up on the bed, Fëanáro beside her.

Show
    Prestidigitation to dry all the clothes.

Find Familiar to summon a Pseudodragon! This is a pared-down version of the warlock familiar or even the familiar variant side-bar. Familiar as per MM p. 254 except it cannot attack as usual familiars and it does not share the Magic Resistance trait. But hey, tiny dragon!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Senna rolls her eyes at her brother. She scoffs, then follows him. If you're not taking this seriously, I can change tunes, mister! she berates him.

17. - Top - End - #227

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Sam stops in front of his bedroom door, Grepha scrabbling to her feet. "Why?" The imp hisses, finally regaining her balance.

"Sorry, forgot you get dragged around," he looks up and sees Senna following him down the hall. Leaning back, Sam stretches out his arms and yawns. "Auugh. Persistent huh Sen'? Okay, okay, it's not a demon. She insists she's not a demon at least."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas had a long day. He retires to his room, after also taking a bath and making sure his clothes are clean and fresh. There will not probably be another chance to enjoy such luxury in the near future.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Following up on her threat, Senna enters Sam's room. Now if you're not taking this seriously, just say so. Maybe father's death didn't even move you. What do I know, you are still part magical fire lizard. she says, less to insult, more to remind her of his reptile nature.

I realize I haven't told you, but Glyph is a fiend as well. Senna flicks her elbow, summoning her cat familiar. But she is not invisible. And no, I don't know what I did wrong to have her summoned like this. I didn't use particularly dark magic. I followed the instructions as written.

Senna sighs. You can't hear demons. You never had any formal training in summoning them. And demons are not invisible all the time. Maybe what you're hearing is the primal essence of dragon...kin, or something. Your kind is difficult to research you know. Not many written sources.

20. - Top - End - #230

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

With a sigh, Sam follows Senna into the room, sitting on his bed to unwind his footwraps. "If you think dragons can't feel, you need to read more of Bahamut's teachings." His tone is quiet, a little hurt, as he tosses the soaked through pieces of cloth over the foot of his bed to dry. "Just because I didn't sit crying over it doesn't mean I don't care, or miss him."

Grepha lands upon the top of the bedpost. She shoots a glance down at the feline familiar. To test just how much the cat can sense, she lets her tail and stinger dangle beneath her near to the floor. "I'm sure the immediate forgiveness of all of your debts was fine consolation."

Sam tenses up and turns towards the end of the bed. For a second Grepha flinches away, expecting to be smacked or thrown, but it never comes. Shaking a little, Sam lies back and looks at the ceiling. He glances apologetically at Aintas as he walks in with an inn servant carrying buckets of warm bathwater. His brother's arrival gives him a good excuse to get some space though. "Sorry, Ains. Senna was just leaving. Unless you're such the mother hen that you plan on helping him bathe?" He gives her a joking smile that falters as soon as he lays back and stares at the ceiling again.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    Aintas was bathing, so she decided to go with her first instinct and talk to Sam about learning elvish tomorrow. Instead she decided to do a few things before she went to bed. Quickly changing back into her clothes, she went down to the bar room all by herself, making sure that none of her siblings are in the area before she takes a seat at the bar. Suddenly, much more than Candlekeep, money had value when a girl meant to misbehave. Meekly she ordered water and went people watching for a while. She heard new languages, saw races she'd never seen before, admired clothing and jewelry from across the land, and nearly lost herself in the hub bub of so many strange and interesting people. She avoids conversation and turns quickly away if she catches anyone's eye. After about an hour she loses her nerve (and possibly the bartender's patience), requests a bath, and dashes upstairs, somehow certain if she didn't make it upstairs quickly she'd be caught... by who? By Gorion? By Aintas? Vyv or Melian? Was she somebody else's responsibility now? She nearly walked head first into the door to her room pondering these thoughts.No. I'm my own responsibility now. Better start acting like it. When she returns, Melian is already in her trance, but with a miniature dragon curled up against her. Caelee felt the urge to shake Melian awake and ask her about the creature, but instead she meets the bathwater at the door and holds a finger to her mouth when she welcomes the inn worker in. She pours the bathwater in slowly, thanks the servant, and washes away the dirt and the damp of the road in silence, with Kess munching his rabbit food under the bed. When she again settles down to trance, she feels more relaxed, fresh, and tired, all of which made falling into her mental exercises easier and quicker.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-13 at 06:38 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

We...I...warmbloods have a hard time interpreting your body languages, and you know that. Sure, I'll leave. Let you boys play with the water a bit. Senna leaves the room, partially angry and embarrassed. Glyph stares at the bed. Glyph, back! she commands as the cat transforms into vapor.

Senna knocks at Melian's door. Hey could you dry my... she pauses, investigating if the elf meditates or really sleeps. She always was curious. Then the cleric saw the pseudodragon. Things are getting weirder and weirder. she says as she covers both with a blanket and leaves the room.

She tries to enter hers and Vyv's room. She rattles the locked door. I paid for the rooms, you know. The least you can do is let me in, Vyvian.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"I'm in the bath! Can you wait?" Vyvian says loudly from the other side of the locked door. There's a pause and then she says, "While you're waiting could you get me another ale?"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Are you for real? Senna shouts from the hallway. This is the last time I pay for anything. You'll sleep in the haystacks in Nashkel, you hear?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

After retiring to your rooms, washing, laying out clothes to be cleaned and returned, you eventually settle into a comfortable sleep. While it may not have been that long in raw hours since leaving Candlekeep, the weight of those days is clear, and you sink into a deep slumber.

Spoiler: Caelyn
    Show
    You're deep in the forest, sat in a small clearing alone. In the centre of the clearing is the stump of a tree felled by an axe and long since carried away. Around you, you can hear the leaves rustle from the wind, birds chirping and singing, and far off the barking of wolves and whinny of deer. It's a gentle day. The ideal almost, until it's interrupted.

“Power.”

A voice streaks through you like a bolt of flame surging up your insides. The tree stump begins to char and crack from the inside. Its roots pull themselves up and out from the grass, standing, and you recognise it easily as similar to the spirit you summoned but...somehow more. More ancient. More powerful. More dangerous. The aged brown wood is now entirely black as coal, but it cracks further. Rivulets of dancing flame sketch a haphazard spider's web all along the surface, almost looking like exposed veins pumping the liquid blaze.

“Take my power.”

It speaks again, and you see the flames licking the tips of its roots spread out the clearing, scorching long marks through the grass in uncountable lines all criss-crossing. The moment they hit the edge of the clearing to the treeline, the entire forest ignites in one moment. The trees are swarmed in flames, the bird song changes from happy to panicked, and the sky turns black as night – the sun blocked out by the sudden smoke overpowering everything. It's choking hot but you can't move, you're affixed in place, forced to sit and watch as the creature approaches and you cough and splutter at the smoke. It's on top of you, charred wooden tendrils grasping at your limbs as its voice yells through your mind, the cacophony of spirit and crackling flame drowning your screams.

“Become my vessel.”

You wake up choking on smoke that wasn't really there, still half-asleep but keenly aware of the rustling of your room door. Someone is trying to get in. You manage to gather your things together just in time for a hooded man with a staff and a small steaming imp to burst into the room.

Spoiler: Aintas
    Show
    ”Run”. Gorion's voice still echoes in your head. You're there again, in the dead of night. You were always so tall compared to...well, everyone it seemed like at Candlekeep, but the armoured man dwarfs over you. You're clutching your glaive in both hands while this man wields a sword just as long in a single fist.

“Weak.” The voice of the armoured man booms out from his spiked skull helmet. Piercing glowing yellow eyes look at you. Look through you. For a moment all that you can see are those eyes, engulfing your whole world, but you're forced to look away – and that's when you see your siblings. All strewn about your feet. Bloodsoaked corpses to match the man's bloodstained sword.

“Weak.”
    The croaking groan of Gorion at your feet barely hits your ears but you hear it, even over your own pumping heartbeat. His hand is on your boot, his last gasp of help for you, but you can see in his eyes he's dead. The armoured man steps forward and raises his sword. It's all you can do to bring your glaive up to block, but the blade passes effortlessly through the shaft, shattering it into broken splinters. You fall back into the mud.

“Weak.” “Weak.” “Weak.” Your dead siblings all take up the quiet chant that grows and grows around you. You scrabble back in the mood, searching for anything to take hold of to use against the approaching warrior. Instead your retreat is blocked when you hit the body of Sam. You turn your head to see Sam's eyes locked on yours, his dead mouth echoing the words still. Then the man is upon you. But the blade never comes, instead you look up to see him offering his hand.

“But you don't have to be. Take my power, and shed your weakness!” His voice booms out, it reverberates through you, shaking you to your bones. And then, despite yourself, you start to reach out.

Whether you would have taken his hand remains a mystery though, as you wake up in your bed at the Friendly Arm Inn to a rustling at your door. Someone is trying to get in. You manage to gather your things together when the door slams open and a hooded man enters, blade in hand and ill-intent in his face.

Spoiler: Senna
    Show
    Alone. That's what you are. You feel it keenly as a fact. You're in your room at the Friendly Arm. Vyvian isn't there, her stuff is gone and her bed made as if she'd never lay down to sleep in it. Alone. Your world's gone grey, as if all the colour and life had been sucked out of it.

You don't feel the cold floor as you dash out of bed and pull open your room door. There's no sound. No life. The torches have all gone out but you can still see everything in a dull lifeless colour, as if everything is emitting the same grey light that barely gives vision. You pull open the door to Sam and Aintas' room. Empty, no gear or sign of them. The same for Melian and Caelyn. Without dressing properly, putting on shoes or gathering your things you rush down the stairs towards the main hall. Empty. The furniture is all there but there's no sign of life. No Bentley or travelers or servers or guards or anyone. In your mind you know that there's no one back 'home' at Candlekeep. They're all gone too. Your master. Your friends. Everyone.

You rush out side and the world falls away before your eyes. The Friendly Arm Keep sits upon a floating rock in an infinite void of greys and blacks. Then slowly, behind you, the keep starts to disappear, crumbling into dust that falls into the void. The ground goes with it. You back up, trying desperately to cling on to any solid ground but in almost no time at all your last slip of ground vanishes and you're falling. Falling through the infinite. Alone. Alone. Alone.

After what feels like an eternity and a single moment you hear it speak - “Senna.” It's not your voice, but it sounds...adjacent, as if they're copying you. “You don't have to be alone. We can be together.” You can't see it in the void, but you see it on you, a shimmering black wisp climbs its way up your arm, moving towards your face. You slowly begin to move your other hand towards the wisp, gently.

Then you wake up to a rustling outside your door at the Friendly Arm. Someone is trying to get in. Vyvian is waking to the noise also. She's not gone, and neither are her things. You manage to get your gear together before the door slams open and a hooded man enters, ill-intentions writ on his face.

Spoiler: Vyvian
    Show
    How many years have you been here? You look down at your alms bowl. Empty. Again. Another hungry night. You try to pull your cloak around yourself tighter with fingers that are no longer there. That's right, you realise, they took your hands. Robbed the right person but got caught by the wrong people. Now you're here, living in a squalor on the streets of some city you can't name begging for scraps with bandaged stumps instead of hands.

Then you see her, a half-elf woman walking down the street. Brown hair and ivory skin. Rich and flaunting it, with exotic white furs and jewels galore. You skitter forwards from your spot against the wall, bowl held aloft between your wrists as best you can balance it. You manage to get in front of her and beg her in a broken cracked voice for anything she can spare. She looks down at you, barely restrained disgust covering every inch of her face. Then lashes out with her foot, knocking your bowl flying away. It clatters loudly, almost overwhelming, drowning out the hustle and bustle of the other people passing in the street. Time seems to slow as the anger rises, boiling in your gut. You leap upon her, knocking her down onto the street.

Your stumps slam into her face again and again, bashing her head back against the grimy stones. Blood streaks across the pristine furs. No one stops you. You're screaming, pure rage, white-hot spittle erupting from your mouth. You can't stop. Then the woman laughs, and manages to turn her head. Through a broken eyesocket and bulbous swellings across her face, she locks eyes with you. And it's you. It's your face. Your eyes. Your lips and nose and hair. All looking right back at you.

“That's right Vyvian. Just like that. Take everything you want.”

Then you wake up to a rustling outside your door at the Friendly Arm. Someone is trying to get in. Senna is waking to the noise also. Your hands are there in all their dexterous glory. You manage to get your gear together before the door slams open and a hooded man enters, ill-intentions writ on his face.

Spoiler: Sam
    Show
    ”One...One more game.” You words tumble out. You're crouched on the ground, kneeling in deference. You're chained to the ground in what looks to be hell, or one of the hells. Wrought red and brown stones, flames, great smoke clouds and the screams of the damned echoing. It's with a horrifying realisation that you know you're one of them – the damned. Above you, seated on a throne all too big for her is Grepha, your longtime imp 'companion', now your master. You'd lost everything to her. Your family. Your friends. Your freedom. Every time you thought “Just one win and I can turn it around. My luck's got to get better at some point, right?” And now you're here. In hell. Alone. And you still believe your luck's going to change.

"Fine.” Grepha replies, floating off her throne, she gently comes closer with flaps of her tiny wings. “You've given me everything else, and now I'll take your body and soul.” The thrill. The risk. All of it sends your heart singing. One final game. You win and get it all back, or you lose and you're damned forever as Grepha's puppet in all things. It didn't matter. Whatever the stakes it didn't matter. All that matters is the next game. The next coin flip. The next turned card. The next...

In her hands materialise a cup and two dice. She rolls them around in her hands for a moment before tossing the dice in the cup, rolling them further and then slamming them to the ground in front of you.

“Now...high or low?” She asks, an evil grin stretching ear to ear. The simplest of games of chance. You can barely contain yourself.

Before you can answer though, you wake up to your door slamming open. Intruders are upon you. You're still barely awake, but at least Aintas looks ready.

Spoiler: Melian
    Show

“Again.” The instructor whips you across the face with her stick. It stings, and you feel beads of blood begin to form. You've been practicing for hours. Days. Weeks. All without rest beyond that you get when you pass out, unable to move, and collapse. You lunge forward again, blade in hand, only to watch it be knocked from your grip and the stick whips your other cheek. Your breath burns in your lungs and you struggle to keep your head raised.

“You thought it would be easy?” The instructor asks cruelly, lifting your chin with her stick. “Our arte is known only to a few, and mastered by even fewer. Did you think your book would teach you the truths held within? Our truths? My truths?” She yells, pure rage given voice as she slams her stick into the side of your head. You fall flat, unconscious.

Then you're in bed in the infirmary of the training hall. At your side is a young medic, you've seen him around, and caught him looking at you more than once. He's handsome enough. He's dabbing your cheeks with a small cloth that stings, but you can tell it's helpful. You can already feel the wounds healing. “You don't have to go so far you know.” He says amiably after noticing you've awoken. “The Instructor is harsh but she's also...old-fashioned.” He pulls back his hand and places the cloth on a side table, before pulling a small pouch from a pocket. Gently, he produces a perfectly spherical gem. It pulses with purple light and inside you can see swirls of cloud and sparks of energy. He holds it out. “Take it, and all the secrets and skills you want will be yours. Just...reach out, and take it."

Before you make a decision though, you wake up to your door slamming open. Intruders are upon you – a hooded figure holding a staff and a floating imp-creature covered in steam. And you're covered in slugs that came from...somewhere. Somehow, that's real. At least Caelyn looks ready.

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show

Roll for initiative. Sam and Melian, unfortunately, didn't make their listen check so they're Surprised and miss their first round. Lucky they didn't room together at least.

Intruders Initiative: (1d20+3)[16]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+3)[16]

Caelee wakes up with a silent scream on her features, her normally peaceful meditation made horrifying by smoke and flames. This was not the balanced nature that her gods championed- this was fire out of control and consuming all in it's path. With tears in her eyes from the trauma and the smoke of her "dream". Dream, right? That's what her non-elven family called them? She took several coughing breaths before she heard the door moving in it's frame. Suddenly her eyes were wide open, her heart racing. She quickly put on her armor and drew her scimitar just as the door opened. When the robed figure strode into her room, she let out the fear and pain of her dream in a cry of indignant rage as she charged the figure, ignoring the imp for now. You will NOT hurt my family, you bastard! She slashed with her tiger scimitar while roaring like the great cat emblazoned on the blade.

Show
    Rolls from the OOC thread- Forgot that if I reserve a post I cannot add rolls to it. To hit with Scimitar- (1d20+5)[17] and damage (1d6+3)[6]. Here's another damage roll in case I crit- (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-14 at 01:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas
    HP:20 AC:12

Aintas wakes up angry, defiant, roaring.

"Your blood will spill on my feet!"

And the suddenly, he is awake and his blood is pumping. Without thinking he rolls over and grabs his glaive, standing next to his bed.

"This was a bad idea" he tells the intruder casually, as he whirls his glaive with all his skill

"SAM WAKE UP!
    " he roars in his training voice.

Show
    So, lots of actions. Move out of bed and draw his weapon as part of his attack. Action surge for en extra attack.
    Attack from 10 ft to keep reach.
    Atk1 (1d20+5)[8] dmg (1d10+3)[5]
    Atk2 (1d20+5)[15] dmg (1d10+3)[11]
    Bonus Action Attack (1d20+5)[24] dmg (1d4+3)[5]

Reaction if he moves within 10ft reach, even if disengages. If hits, 0 speed

(1d20+5)[18] dmg (1d10+3)[4]

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

The intruder for Aintas and Sam's room takes the attacks in stride. He may be well trained or well experienced, but the glaive catching his shoulder merely elicits a grunt of pain rather than a panicked retreat that you might have hoped for. Even when he steps forward and receives another blow, he presses in and delivers back in kind, his shortsword whipping forward and cutting Aintas on the side.

Senna and Vyvian's intruder strolls forward, crossing the room and eyeing both carefully, trying to gauge best who would attack first and how to respond. He's cautious, possibly due to hearing Aintas' roar from next door and the subsequent slice of the glaives.

The staff wielder is cut by Caelyn's scimitar though it's shallow, in anger he launches a spell in retaliation. Tendrils of purple mist snake out around Caelyn's eyes but they dissipate in a mere moment. Whatever spell he attempted is shaken off, and just in time to avoid the steaming claws of the flying creature to her side.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Aintas takes 10 damage, but his attacker is heavily wounded.

Senna+Vyvian's intruder takes the Dodge action, so attacks have disadvantage against him until his next turn (unless cancelled by Advantage).

Sam+Melien are still surprised (sorry, betrayed by your dice), but feel free to do an RP post.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Senna wakes up in a pool of sweat. She never was comfortable with foreign beds, and this was not different. She saw the intruder, and once again, like when her father was killed, a prominent voice of confidence pushed her shy and childish personality in the background. This was no time of talking or begging, this was time for combat, for murder.

Senna jolts up but not before the intruder reaches their beds. She smiles. I do not care what you are doing here, but you have come to your demise if you fight us. Electricity crackles between her fingertips, as she looks for spots that conduct it particularly well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shocking Grasp (1d20+5)[21] Disadvantage says 11
    (1d8)[4]
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-14 at 01:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian wakes up to the intrusion and immediately forgets all about the creepy dream. She has to take a moment to untangle herself from the sheets, as she apparently tossed and turned more than normal, and then launches herself out of bed with both blades in hand as she slept with them under her pillow.

Landing opposite the intruder from Senna she slashes once with each blade and comments, "For a castle, the security sure doesn't impress!"

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+5)[14]
    disadvantage: (1d20+5)[17]
    damage: (1d6+3)[8]
    if crit: (1d6)[3]

Off-hand attack: (1d20+5)[17]
    disadvantage: (1d20+5)[20]
    damage: (1d6)[6]
    if crit: (1d6)[2]

Sneak Attack: (1d6)[2]
    if crit: (1d6)[3]