New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Getting to Queen Yharnam in Bloodborne

I am trying to get to Queen Yharnam on NG++ and for some reason I only have one Red Jelly. And I believe I am going to need 4.

I completed Pthumerian Labyrith, Central Pthumerian, Lower Pthumerian, Ailing Loran, and Lower Loran, and will have to do the Cursed and Defiled Ptumeru to get the last chalice.
    Is there a way to still get Red Jellies without playing through the game two more times?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Getting to Queen Yharnam in Bloodborne

It can be farmed in some of the Chalices. I think Lower Loran has a chance to generate them? I'm fairly sure that's where I farmed mine in the playthrough I actually bothered doing Chalices in.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

So they are dropped by enemies?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty sure they spawn in chest rooms, actually. It's been a long time though, so I could be wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

No, just checked it. Chests are not reset.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You can apparently buy them with Insight, so do a lot of co-op I guess?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Wiki says there are 6:

Two in Lecture Building 1F (Ground Floor), to the right of the entrance to Nightmare Frontier
    Lower Loran Chalice (One in layer 2, one in layer 3)
    Great Isz Chalice (Two in layer 3)

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Red+Jelly

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Insight buy only works after you've been to the Great Pthumerian Ithyl Dungeon. When you don't need them anymore.

I went to the Great Isz Dungeon, and I am actually great I made that detour. It's pretty fun with an interesting new look.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's been long enough that I don't remember for sure, but everything I see online says you can farm them in the chests.

If the chests aren't resetting on creating a new non-root chalice dungeon, try searching for an already created dungeon of the required type.

Good luck with your quest. Great Pthumerian has the hardest boss in the game in it, and it isn't Queen Yarnham.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I could have sworn the chests respawned somehow. I'm absolutely certain I got all the Red Jelly I needed by farming one of the dungeons for chests, and Ritual Blood as well. Maybe there's a trick to it? I think there was a method to remove and remake chalices that you used to use for Blood Rock farming, but it's possible that's been patched out as well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Wiki says you can buy them for 5 insight after the ritual for the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice, from Insight Messengers.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Wiki says you can buy them for 5 insight after the ritual for the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice, from Insight Messengers.
    Great Pthumeru Ihyll is the one Yora is trying to perform.

It's kind of a tradition in the Soulsborne games to give you an infinite supply of crafting materials after you no longer need them, and this is no different.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Good luck with your quest. Great Pthumerian has the hardest boss in the game in it, and it isn't Queen Yarnham.
    Can't be much worse than Cursed and Defiled Amigdala.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Can't be much worse than Cursed and Defiled Amigdala.
    Chuckles nervously.

So, yeah, I actually agree. Pre-Yharnam, that damned Amygdala is definitely the worst thing, though the headless Bloodletting Beast isn't much less evil and nightmarish. Both are no fun at all, and just remembering back to them puts my plan to never touch the Chalices again back in context.

That said... I remember doing some of the stuff after Queen Yharnam as well. I remember running into a ludicrously buffed up version of the Blood-starved Beast that one-shot my 40 Vitality character with any contact from any attack, almost instantly poisoned just by being near you in phase 3, and had standard-issue late Chalice way too much HP. And it never, ever stopped dashing right at you spamming attacks everywhere. Never did beat that cursed thing. I have no idea how people do that nonsense.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I have to figure out how people in speedruns with no level ups kill bosses in two hits.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to figure out how people in speedruns with no level ups kill bosses in two hits.

Not sure if its changed since I last saw it, it has been a couple years, but the key was appropriate exploitation of Beast Blood Pellet using a Saw Cleaver. When you use a Pellet you get a beasthood (name?) meter, as the meter builds you both deal and take more damage, and some items can significantly extend how much you can build up and how fast you can build up the meter. Couple it with the appropriate Paper (usually fire but sometimes bolt), you can do HUGE amounts of damage to the bosses, if I recall correctly at maximum attainable buff it gave you something like +75% physical damage (but coupled with -75% defense) You could build it extremely quickly with Saw Cleaver then switch to a heavy damage weapon for the boss and have the buff last for multiple minutes before it drained. Something like a Kirkhammer at max gauge can do 2000 damage with a charged hammer attack, so that's why you're seeing them 2 shot bosses.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2020-03-30 at 08:10 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I am not sure I can afford decreased defense. Because then every hit will be a one hit kill. Now only some are.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I am not sure I can afford decreased defense. Because then every hit will be a one hit kill. Now only some are.
    Well yeah, but you asked how they did so much damage to bosses. Obviously though good speedrunners have practiced enough that they don't really get hit unless its faster than not getting hit. For regular schmucks playing through the game a lot of speed run strategies aren't viable

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

So this just happened.

What...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Woah. Even with Simon's Bowblade that shouldn't be possible. Amygdala in Defiled Chalice has around 22000 HP, and I refuse to believe that player managed to scale up their bow to be able to dish out that amount of damage. Even at NG++ the diminishing returns on damage should kick in long before you're hitting 20K damage on a boss.

I checked a couple videos as well. They confirm my suspicion - you can get a lot of damage, but not that much! A standard "maxed out" build with 50 Skill/Bloodtinge looks to be doing ~800 damage per hit. A super high level player (level 219) who had 50 Skill and 99 Bloodtinge was doing around 1300 damage per hit.

So either there was a glitch, or that guy was hacking.

Edit: This appears to confirm it. Dude referenced in the post was using a Bowblade as well.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2020-03-31 at 07:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting he's still around. Not that I mind particularly in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Yeah, about that...

Did the Bloodletting Beast it with another player on first try. One player drawing aggro and the other slashing at the legs seemed not really that difficult. I was doing pretty good damage and getting hit was never really much concern. Being Soul Level 190 with 50 Vitality, Strength, and Skill and 40 Endurance probably helped a lot, though.

Queen Yharnam indeed wasn't very hard. With this much health there just isn't much danger from her attacks.

But I did it! Yay! Bloodborne 100% completed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

But I did it! Yay! Bloodborne 100% completed.
    Congratulations! Now do it without cheating.

Both the Watchdog and the Bloodletting Beast are incredibly frustrating single-player because they never give openings. You dodge their attacks for ages, then the instant you go to close the distance they do an undodgeable attack that kills you. Having a summon would indeed trivialize the boss. You have to wait for 5 minutes until you finally bait the one 100% safe attack, get a single hit in, then back off for another 5 minutes. For the Watchdog I think I actually overleveled my Vitality to the point where I could survive a single attack. I had something like 65-70 Vitality.

All this talk prompted me to start up the game again myself. I've made it to Rom in the Lower Pthumeru Chalice, and I'm remembering just how frustrating the Chalice bosses can be. It's not like Dark Souls 2 or 3 where the bosses will combo you to death or keep after you without giving you a chance to heal. The bosses simply one shot you. I've got 30 Vitality and taking Rom's meteor shower is an instakill.

I put myself through it once and managed to full clear every Chalice dungeon with no summons. This was pre-DLC too so no broken DLC weapons to help out - all done with the Chikage. I think I can remain proud of that and set the game aside again now that I've reacquainted myself with the Blade of Mercy.