New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Rokugan in the Shadows - Rise of the Nezumi

"Wak-Chat reporting in!" A leather-clad ratling stopped at the gates outside a massive grey citadel that looked, to the untrained eye, like a massive, ten-storied many-tiered anthill. Guards at the entrance this Nezumi paused raised their wicked bone-glaives, letting him pass without a word.

The ratling ran his way along a winding corridor, taking turns at corridors or random intersections until he reached guards outside a cavernous room. "How is he?" Wak-Chat looked past the door guards to the emaciated, sniveling rating sitting on a high throne made of bone and covered with many lavish animal pelts. He was attended to by many females that cooed at him, fed him food, and rubbed his skin and shoulders with scented oils.

' Shaman-Chief Red-Eye has less and less lucid moments. By his decree, breeding was finished soon Yesterday. We still follow his Will.'

'I bring news of our war effort.' Wak-Chat handed over a square of parchment to the guards, saluted, then left.

'Damn Hobgoblins...Bring in The Children. ALL of them.'

---

Ikrit had been gathered into the cavernous Throne Room with his many siblings. Although there must have been more than five hundred of them gathered there, it was tough to see more than five of them. Swirling around the space were the contrails from several thousands of incense sticks, and the conversation kept the incense moving.

Into the area walked a grey-furred Nezumi, and conversation quieted. This one had eyes that were milky-white, and though cataract-bound and blind, it walked with perfect precision. It turned and searched among the many faces for twenty tense minutes.

It touched one, then another, and again until it had touched thirteen. 'You will lead our forces now. You are all strong with His fury, and can bless our brothers to turn the tides of this battle.'

She finally turns to Ikrit 'And You!! Ikrit Plaguebearer, your powers are of the Old World. You and your spirits shall bring sickness to their forces where they must be made weak.

The rest of you carry the Blessed Blood of our Shaman-Chieftan Red-eye! The time is now, when you all have grown and trained and become strong, that we turn the tide of war! We will take these Hobgoblin heads, and leave no prisoners!!

The Seer looks like she has more to say, but instead turns around and walks out of the room.

For a brief moment, Red-Eye straightens. His left hand shoots out, and he runs down from his throne and Seizes Ikrit by the collar. Tun! You will find-take him and bring- drag to me!! You will do this, yes-yes!
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-29 at 11:55 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Rokugan in the Shadows - Rise of the Skaven

Surrounded by the four spirits that usually accompany him, Ikrit nods as he is ordered to spread the gifts of the divine father, hardly paying attention as his thoughts are filled with devotion and his eyes, alight with religious zeal, constantly drifting to Red-Eye's form.

As the Grey Seer leaves and Ikrit once more prepares to lead his siblings ritualistic prayer, the subject of their worship snaps out his hand and grasps the plague priest, his claws drawing blood.

"Tun! You will find-take him and bring-drag to me!! You will do this, yes-yes!"

For once the object of his focus is the one addressing him, his answer for the first time instant and without hesitation:
    "Yes Chieftain-Lord, Tun-thing will be chained-caught, it is unknown-new to this one, where does your servant-son start-begin this search-hunt?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rokugan in the Shadows - Rise of the Skaven

'Tun drew-made much-many deal-pact with Red-Eye, until this fate-curse. Tun became ally-traitor-friendship-stabber.' Red-Eye undid the torn leather belt that he had refused to let anyone even touch and beckoned Ikrit forward. With bony yet strong and firm hands, Red-Eye tied The Thew to his son. 'Your mission is most-most-great need. You go to Chokka, tell her you scour-search Hell-Pits for Tun. When you believe-know this mission, answers will come. Find-make way.'

Chokka, the Firstwife of Red-Eye, had produced nearly three hundred children, all of whom had been well-used in the conflict against the Hobgoblins. They had proven the greatness of Red-Eye's virility and had given rise to the power and reverence he currently held. If anyone could take credit for Red-Eye's continued success as a leader despite his Curse, it would be her. She stood from the platform of the great bone-and-pelt throne, and her gaze swept over all of the Nezumi gathered. Great Shaman-Chief, any words for the gathered?

GO hunt-kill-maim ALL WHO OPPOSE US! The time of Nezumi-Skaven is now!

more

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rokugan in the Shadows - Rise of the Nezumi

In response this commotion, the auditorium surges with energy. The excited and assembled mass of ratlings breaks, and as they flow out of the cavern, excitement flowing through them as palpable as a Ikrit feels immune to their flow, as if a feeling guided him to sway at just the right time. Just as he was to exult in being nearly alone with Red-Eye, ten attendants usher him--along with Chokka--out of the room. They tell him that The Chieftan would be ill soon, and they had questions to ask him.

Chokka instead appraises Ikrit, and asks him, I expect you have questions? Come, let us walk to our map room.

more

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Slowly bowing to Chokka, Ikrit reaches for the small cuts on his neck and flicks the blood at the floor:
    "Blessed First-Mother, this one am alive-awake for the first time, the spirits flock to serve-obey. Please inform-tell all-all about this Tun-thing. It must be important-vital for Blessed-Chief Red-Eye to give-lend his belt-relic to this lowly one."

As he shuffles after Chokka, the blood sizzles on the floor, unseen, and between a blink and the next the four spirits surrounding him turns into eight. Their forms less ethereal as a divine mandate has been given, all that is left to do is change reality to suit the will of the truly favored.
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2020-03-30 at 07:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Chokka pays little heed to the young-born's manifestations. She has grown used to strange occurrences among her people since Red-Eye's influence, even if this recent gathering was among the strangest. Their war-efforts had waxed and waned, and they fought over ground that had become increasingly wearied and worn down over the substantial foot traffic of the past year's conflict. Still, The Nezumi had kept the secret origin of the Skaven, the quick-growing, miraculously potent and quick-growing hybrids of Red-Eye and his female...consorts to a minimum of exposure. Mixed in with their normal numbers, these "Skaven" had quickly grown to undo the dwindling numbers of the Nezumi population and revitalized what many believed were a dying trend of their kind. The incredible births had led to a resurgence of growth throughout the many and gathering tribes. Even though this war with the Hobgoblin host had shifted its sole focus on the Nezumi and away from the Unicorn and other Human tribes, the Ratlings had endured beyond hope.

Nezumi did not follow human measures of time. They had little capacity to focus on anything but now or a season from now. The past was known as Yesterday. The Rememberers, the only Nezumi with a capacity to recall past events from even the Darkest Day--the day their empire had been shattered by Fu Leng and his fall from his space among the Celestial Heavens--all the Rememberers had been dying. That was, until Red-Eye came along. His Skaven-born gave rise to grey-furred Rememberers, now dubbed Seers, that also had the means to access the Old Magics. The Old magics, the Sorceries of the past, had long since been abandoned as an agreement with the Rokugani, that Sorcery only stemmed from Jigoku. But it was not so with the Skaven-Nezumi generations. Red-Eye had been tested with magics, and it was shown that his soul was a collective piece of many hundreds of recovered from The Beyond. And so the Seers, the just-born few among his second-generation children, had grown quickly into stable Nezumi that had great magics.

Times were changing. But Chokka had little means to cram all these ideas into Ikrit's skull. She watched him, and knew that The Thew would soon be reaching into his mind and giving him answers.

---

The Thew pulsed and throbbed into Ikrit's mind. He felt a soft voice, one that gave the idea of a well-worn couch, a comfortable and wholesome feeling touched with age, soon to expire. You are a first-born of Red-Eye, and your blood runs thick with his essence. Come, tell me of what you have learned little one, for in his presence I have felt myself fading from existence.

more

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Exulting in the newfound blessing from just a single touch from his progenitor, Ikrit welcomes the voice of The Thew and answers eagerly:
    "Greetings Exalted One, this honored one is named Ikrit and is blessed by your presence! If you would grant this lowly one your hallowed name so that I may carve it into the annals of history, and perhaps explain your relation to the great Chieftain Red-Eye. We are at war with the hobgoblins, death decimates the Nezumi, but the Skaven rally time and again against the unblessed hordes. Blacksmiths and other craftsmen are establishing themselves, and the Blackspot tribe, first of the Nezumi to rally to the cause, have proven of great help. In his great forethought the Mighty Mage-Chief Red-Eye gifted them with a liquid flame thing that produces no smoke and immense amount of heat, making our forges hard to track and disrupt. The nezumi does not have many craftsmen however, but together with Skaven smiths their ability to repair scavenged arms, armor and trinkets the tides are turning. I have however been sent spirits of his divine glory and they have constructed a holy relic, because of this I have been chosen by the Exalted Red-Eye to track down a 'Tun' and bring him before him in chains. The traitor apparently dealt in bad faith and turned traitor. However, I know naught of this mysterious figure, but I was given what I assume is your vessel to help me in this endevor, might you confirm this, Trusted one?"
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2020-03-31 at 07:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The Thew gives an impression of deep thought and contemplation.

I know a bit of Tun, for I was spun of godflesh possessed by his masters. Although I can tell you much, I am also bound by ancient rules that forbid me to name or speak directly of many specific details of his and others' natures.

The many Realms of existence all have organizations of great power. Tun that Red-Eye knew was a being of great Order and Evil, bound to the equally powerful body of a being of Earth and Water. His natures gave him a very rare power with Blood, that enabled him to perform great and binding Rituals both weaker and more powerful than what you mortals call Magic. With all of this in mind, you must now consider what next I tell you.

Tun is not the kind of Traitor you expect. You, your siblings, the discoveries Red-Eye brought to the Nezumi, and the Rebirth of the ancient beings you call Skaven, are all products of deals he made with the one named Tun. In fact, Red-Eye himself exists because of the deal his ancestors made with Tun and his "cousin" Orusc. Every deal Red-Eye made came with greater and greater consequences, and your father lacked the insight to see the precise nature of the contracts he made. Still, Tun has left one contract incomplete, and I suspect this is part of why your sire feels that Tun is a traitor. You must also see this from another angle.

Realize that Tun has given your father, and your people, considerable fortune and power in exchange for his current affliction. Any attempt to break Red-Eye of his state will carry steep costs, as I have explained to him a countless number of times. I tell you this because he may ask it of you. It is far beyond my power and knowledge to break the curse of the First Aboleth, which Red-Eye falsely calls a laghathi. It has a vastness far beyond what you might call a God, and has a malicious intent far beyond the Being known to the Rokugani as Fu Leng. The First Aboleth can see far into every Future and far into Every Past, and it chooses to speak words and share Memories that do the greatest possible damage to every being with which it interacts. Thus, I urge you to consider what Tun has done to your Father as a mercy. This being, the First, is the only real traitor your father has ever encountered.

Whatever Red-Eye asks of you, do not seek the First Aboleth, the "Laghathi" as he calls it. Do not seek it even if your father orders you, cajoles you, censors you. I repeat again, never seek out the First Aboleth for any reason, ever; put the idea forever out of your mind. Your real quest remains to find Tun and bring him to your Father.

Tun has not died a True Death, for his spirit-soul remains bound in contract with his ancient Masters. I suspect, however, that for you bring him before your Father, you must also secure a new body for his Masters that will satisfy their many requirements. For this, I urge you first to find a means to contact them. The Rokugani do not posses the requisite knowledge, and neither your enemies the Hobgoblins. However, there is one enemy of the Rokugani empire that almost certainly does. You must travel to the lands of the Phoenix and talk with their enemies, the Mirror People. We will talk more of this later.

As I expect you will first be asked to aid your people against the Hobgoblins, let us end with a warning of my Duty. If you say "I wish" and then wish for something, I am must do my best to fulfill this request. However, my powers grow weak; I can only fulfill a Limited Wish, as much of my vast insight and minor power has aided and guided your father. Before our tenure runs out, you may have to use me to fulfill his request.

Now, do you have any other questions?

more

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Speaking aloud, Ikrit addresses Chokka: "Blessed First-Mother, The Thew-belt speaks to this one, it speaks of the traitor-Tun, do you have any way-method to contact-speak its masters or it's 'cousin-kin' Orusc? To complete my quest-goal I may-must find-reach the mirror-people of the phoenix-enemy lands."
    Thinking at The Thew Ikrit voices his questions: "Blessed Thew, do you know of a way to contact this Orusc? And does my father possess knowledge or perhaps a way to contact or summon any of these ... things you speak of?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The Divine Cloth remains silent, giving an indication that either it was unwilling or could not answer his question. Chokka does.

'Red-Eye always mentioned that he could concentrate on Orusc or Tun and cause it to appear. You are lucky I remember him from our single meeting Yesterday. Come, let us find privacy.

She leads Ikrit to personal chambers--a simple room with a high ceiling and a window higher up, no more than 4 by 2 spaces, and perhaps 8 paces high. It was simply adorned with a wash-basin, a chamber pot, a sleeping space with pelts, and a small table with organized tools for upkeep of blades and armor, and a small weapon rack & armor stand. The rack held a few knives and a single spear with a strangely long blade and so it could be used both as a thrusting weapon or a 2-handed blade. The metal looked light and strong, and was worked with strange symbols that Ikrit felt he could not read even if he wanted to.

Chokka takes a kris--a knife with a wavy blade--from the rack and finds a round bit of leather from the worktable. She searches her walls until she finds a hole and jams the knife through the leather to the hole and motions for them to stand back. She speaks a few words in a strange language and turns to the table. From one of the ordered boxes, she takes a small wrapped object and holds it as you both wait.

A Nezumi with silver eyes and what looks like cloth-and-bamboo armor climbs out of the leather circle. The ratling struggles as if it's climbing from the other side, and finally he tumbles down from the wall. As he dusts himself off, the leather disk emits distant sounds of what seems like crumbling dirt, the myriad cracking of breaking objects, and a countless number of screaming creatures until the silver-eyed Nezumi touches the leather, which then melts into a terrible stench of rapidly-burning flesh. Ugh, he mutters. Here again? He spots Ikrit and snaps his head to Chokka. I specifically forbade you from calling me around others.

Actually, if I remember correctly Orusc, you forbade me from calling you around others unless I was willing to have them bound to you by Contract. As an aside, she explains to the youngling that it was the only way to be able to contact him in the first place. Orusc gives a smile that shouldn't be possible with his anatomy.

Do you have what you promised? Chokka hands over the...cloth-covered...object and Orusc turns around to unwrap it. Oh, this is definitely worth the trip. He wraps it up, turns around and pockets the thing in a fold of his armor, and takes out a small scrap of paper. This is your next task. I'll have our agreed-upon reward soon.

No Orusc, by midnight tonight by this region of the world's standard Rokugani's measurements, or our arrangement is finished. Her hand points to the kris and she continues, 'Or I will break that knife.

Orusc gave a nearly-imperceptible nod. Addressing Ikrit he asks, 'Tell me child of Red-Eye, if you would house the ancient spirit of a Celestial in a non-Celestial body, what would you choose? How would you do the same for a Fiend?

more

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thinking upon the question, the lethargy of a diseased body back in full force, for a full minute almost unblinking, Ikrit finally opens his mouth to answer: "Human-elf-things, spirits seem to favor that shape or a slight variation of it. Most intelligent races seem to be variations on that base shape. Nezumi seem to be an exception to this, a superior one if less underhanded. Humans, if the stability is all that matters."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Orusc chuckled. Among humanoids, Nezumi have a great resistance to the corruption of a soul. Despite your age, there is wisdom in that choice. How about you, Chokka?

Would you dispense with the condescension and just tell him what he needs to find?

Oh, but I am curious what you might think. Indulge me.

Chokka sighed. The nature of Tun's spirit-soul already provides protection against corruption. His last form gave him a terrible weakness. Perhaps a resilient, powerful body. A Great Lizard of Yesterday, one more powerful than the Wani ka Gomi.

Interesting. Where would you find this creature?

This is intolerable Orusc. You know more of the...world and the Realms than I. Why should I guess?

If you won't entertain me, then why should I help you or this youngling?

Chokka furrowed her brow and put her long slender fingers to her brow as she bowed her head. Finally she breaths out and raises her head. Chikushido, the realm of beasts and nature spirits?

Nope.

Sakkaku, the Trickster realm?

Orusc gives several soft claps. The Rokugani and your Elders have all lied to your people for generations, Chokka. You can indeed Remember without a Rememberer. This is why I ask you to do the intolerable.

The last...would-be Adventurers I to which I gave aid also encountered a particularly pleasant breed of "great lizard" called a Ryu, or a lesser Dragon. Usually they serve as messengers between the Celestial Realm and the Mortal one, but sometimes they are given permission to stay. This I would use to bind the soul of a Celestial.

That's cheating!

Hardly. They are magical lizards but are not Celestial beings, as the True Dragons are.

This world has little understanding of Fiends, as even the one you call Fu Leng is not one, yet steals from fiends to make his Oni. The young Ikrit touched on the most important aspect for this world: the ability to resist the influence of Fu Leng truly makes Nezumi the greatest of Humanoids. A Fiend is corruptible to the extreme, and thus we do not linger in this world else we risk being Tainted by your Fu Leng.

For Tun, we craft a body made from the flesh of Nezumi.

Chokka gave a look to Orusc of complete disgust. I will have no part in this. My contract with you has been fulfilled; I expect you to honor yours.
    Ikrit, no move-touch weapon-tool-armors. Door-closed when leave-done.
    With that, she unceremoniously left her small room.

Orusc smiled as he appraised the young ratling. Payment for the price of being able to commune with me shall be to slaughter the hobgoblins as best you can. Are we agreed?

more

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Once more thinking, Ikrit wheezes out a derisive bark of laughter: "A life-death of slaughter-killing for you-thing? No, this one will not be dissuaded-impaired. The blessed First-Mother have deemed this worthwhile-sacred, so I will offer-pay four days form midday-noon tomorrow by the Skaven-Nezumi of Red-Eye's time-measurement. The time-days will be spent-used seeing the Nezumi-Skaven's victory against the hobgoblin-things come to fruition, this will be done-completed as I deem best-feasible. Is this acceptable-agreeable for, you-Orusc, to enable communion-communication to you-Orusc at your cost-payment until Blessed Chieftain Red-Eye with full knowledge of the consequences decide otherwise in return for this service-deed Orusc-cousin?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Red-Eye is not part of our agreement. However, your participation in battle will do nicely. As for your agreement with him... Orusc pauses, savoring Ikrit's feelings and even his slow thought.

Red-Eye has long wished to crush the Rokugani and reclaim the glory of the Nezumi. It's a fine sentiment, but we'll need to break apart the people from within. When you finish off the Hobgoblins, ask me of the Bloodspeakers.

He stepped over to the workbench, found some leather scraps in a box on the floor beside it, and looked among them until he found a workable piece. It had many cut-outs on the edge, but what looked like was once soft leather had hardened and become brittle. She won't mind losing this... He took the Kris out of the wall and pinned the dessicated, misshapen leather there.

more

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Shaking his head slowly, Ikrit answers the bamboo-clad nezumi: "Blessed-Wise Red-Eye would not be part-subject of the agreement-deal, simply the One-Master deciding-choosing when it is done-over. You must-will agree before we can continue-work towards tomorrow. The pact-deal must be agreed on-to."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Orusc nods to Ikrit. Fine. I'll explain myself this ONE time, since your soul is so young. You must begin thinking for yourself.

In order to construct a body for Tun, I will require Nezumi flesh, and conveniently, your master Red-Eye already wants to defeat the Hobgoblins, and this conflict cannot end without losses. I have already made arrangements for these interests to commingle. TUN is not in a place where he can simply be summoned; rather, because your ruler slew him, understandably, but he's going to take a hundred years to be accessible to MY masters, and worse, I'm not allowed to free his soul. Now, let's talk about you.

YOU are young. You don't have the strength for this job, not yet. My agreement with YOU is to help your brothers and sisters with this conflict; if you do that, you'll learn of battle, of its demands, and your own capabilities and you'll get stronger.

Next, we will begin work on YOUR contact with MY masters, with whom you might bargain for information. To do this, you'll have to make your way across at least two territories of Rokugan, and far from lands where your kind is considered...decent? With a palanquin carried by your own kind? It will take effort, resources, and payments to make this happen. Would you rather pay your enemies--The Rokugani, whom are more likely to lead you off a cliff or let you wander into a battle than help--or deal with someone who has a great amount of experience in this place?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-04-04 at 08:28 PM.

more

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looking at Orusc with eyes glassy from contained illness, Ikrit slowly answers: "So you agree-accept the terms-contract as I said-explained, with understanding-knowing that Mage-Chieftain Red-Eye decides-chooses when you have paid-completed back your part-deal, with Blessed Red-Eye understanding-knowing the consequences of completing the contract? If you-thing will tell-relate the tale-story of Tun's death-life This one will listen-hear."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Orusc sighed. You're lucky The Thew works for you now. There's not much I can tell. Orusc paused briefly, clearly for dramatic effect, and The Thew took this moment to supply to Ikrit's mind, My memory is unclear, but I do have some glimpses of them when I was...whole. They kept what's left of me for...other means, which ended up being a part of a contract between Red-Eye, Tun and Orusc to make me.

Tun and I agreed to not work against each other for a time, and his untimely death was felt by me AND our Masters. We've worked together before, and since he was killed during our assignment to this world, it's MY damnation to finish HIS contracts! I have completed the ones I can, but our powers are different and complimentary.

This war will continue until Red-Eye determines it's gone on long enough; that is HIS decision, and I agree, the war will be complete when he says so. However, this war is through an agreement that he and Tun made, and thus it comes before the deal between you and I. Red-Eye's command to Chokka was to have her instruct YOU how best to fulfill your mission: to bring Tun back. Chokka led you to me, and trusted you and I to work out an agreement; therefore, she acted in a way Red-Eye already asked her to, but leaned on her best judgement. By this chain of connection, my agreement with you will help you fulfill not one but TWO ambitions by your Master. With the completion of his order to you, we'll also have done some work on a THIRD. I call this, young rat, efficient expedience. He stumbled by his own ambitions, as The Thew explained to me, and therefore, I do my best to complete the agreement he had with Tun...at least until Tun is back, and I am free to work on my own business.

I will not be able to help bring Tun back unless I have the appropriate materials. Therefore, you will help your brothers and sisters in the War against the Hobgoblins; that is our deal for continued communication. It is up to you whether or not you wish to honor this. Since this has taken more time than I would have liked, I must leave else risk being late for another contact.
    He gives Ikrit a stern, if not amused, look and leaps into the leather. Once he's disappeared, the leather burns and leaves a foul odor in Chokka's room, only to waft upwards to her open window.

Ikrit hadn't yet processed it, but this entire year he's been alive and growing rapidly, he's been confined to the Barracks, the Mess Hall, the Training Yard and the adjacent Spirit Garden. He now has permission to travel wherever he wants before the next "Deployment." Ultimately, Orusc committed him to a battle he would likely have been assigned to before his conversation with Red-Eye. The Nezumi had, with Red-Eye's great and powerful magic, produced and birthed a record number of Nezumi in addition to the strong...Red-Blooded like himself. Their mage-ruler was fertile far beyond normal Nezumi, and he seeded good stock. His condition aside, the Nezumi had successfully hidden the rapid expansion of their numbers well.

more

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just as Orusc leaps into the leather, Ikrit starts raising his hand to ask: "But what-who is-was Tun? Oh, gone. Thew-Belt, what-who is-was Tun? Why did Blessed Chieftain-Magelord Red-Eye kill-slay him? How-why did he betray-stab the glorious one?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Red-Eye and Tun had a different interpretation about an agreement they'd made. Red-Eye asked Tun to raise an army for him, which is an expensive request for anyone, let alone one being. Tun's request required Red-Eye to travel to a dangerous realm of evil. While there, Red-Eye asked questions of the ancient being I've told you about, the First Leviathan. The creature's incredible power maligned even my own perception: it caused me to see what it was not, and only by delving into Red-Eye's memories at his urging has let me see the truth. I have since told Red-Eye many times about it, but he insists on the false memory.

The First Leviathan forced the memory of a terrible God at the moment of its ascension onto Red-Eye, and he became permanently insane, held back only by the connection to some Divine power he'd gained before my association with him. When Red-Eye returned here, he asked Tun to quickly make a new deal for his return to sanity; This request was beyond my power, and Tun did what he could to alter the magical affliction upon Red-Eye and also fulfilled his first request. The silver-eyed one shunted much of the power from the God-Memory into a magic that would be productive and powerful and also fulfill his request for his new army, but he also left an opening for Red-Eye to have moments of extended clarity, the best he could do. But Red-Eye did not want to be disabled

His second request, for Tun to remove his affliction, couldn't be done, not without considerably more effort. Red-Eye believed Tun had crossed him and thus shot him with a lethal bolt. I have spent what time I could advising Chokka and a few others on what he might gather, but neither Orusc nor I have the means of breaking such maladies. Tun's practice was of blood-magic, evil but also incredibly pure and powerful. His skill in working the life-essence of those he takes is unparalleled, and so Red-eye killed the one capable of giving him real aid.

It is not my place to judge Red-Eye, Ikrit, but know this: We must all accept the consequences of our thoughts and actions.

more

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As Ikrit heads out to once again find Chokka, he mumbles to The Thew: "The Blessed One paid for our births-lives with his mind-sanity, but was surprised-blindsided? Leviathan is enemy of nezumi-skaven, will enter-write into the Annals of Hate. Blood-magic is strong-good, so why-how evil-bad? How can we-I return him-Tun, Orusc-thing acted-talked like enemy-ally, loyal-true only skin-deep."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Red-Eye often took risks without fully understanding their consequences. Hmm...Tun once told me that Red-Eye has blood of a Divine Being, but he refused to say any more. Not all Divine Beings are benevolent, and no two divinities have the same power or AMOUNT of power. On another world, there is a Spider-Queen-God, and her worship only comes from a very isolated population...else she would not be a god. Perhaps this essence, this Divine Blood, has altered the core of what makes Red-Eye.

Ikrit explores the many levels of the citadel, and with the mention that he must find Chokka, he is instructed to one of the large spires at the edge of the tower. The hallways in this part of the citadel look and feel different; they are cleaner, less-trafficked, and there's both less light and less need for it. His path leads him to a wall-section overlooking the great and towering trees of the Shinomen.

From this height, he can see its verdant expanse. Here and there, clouds move just above the tall trees, making what anyone in the forest only sees as mist. Far beyond the shinomen, the land slopes down and he sees a vast landscape that would open up just at the edge of his horizon.

Opposite the view of this forest, beyond and behind the citadel, is the massive Baobob, a tree five times as tall and nearly half again as wide-around as the Citadel, that the hated Hobgoblins have occupied. Ikrit thought he saw smoke rise from its trunk, but as he focuses on it, the smoke disappears from his sight, as if it were as insubstantial as the vitreol in an aging eye.

The Thew continues, Orusc has little desire to do the tasks Tun signed up for, but he is bound to complete them, and he rankles at the task. He has tried to have Chokka and other Nezumi into other deals with him...Orusc does not think in terms of what benefits him right now but what benefits him many years later, maybe ten or twenty or even fourty years later. Chokka might only understand that she doesn't have the vision to understand what he's planning, and doesn't trust what she can't understand.

Ikrit reaches the large spiral tower. "Halt," says one of two Nezumi guards. "This tower is not for the young. Why do you seek this place?"

more

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As he shuffles towards his goal, his censor still lit with pleasant smelling incense, the Plaguebringer starts thinking more about the war he is about to engage in as his thoughts get sidelined he mumbles to The Thew: "The Blessed Divine One is Godling, Skaven-Nezumi will give life-soul to elevate. But Nezumi lives-dies quick, Orusc-thing getting-hiding death-souls? Tun-thing is blood-body, Orusc-thing is soul-mind? Good agents-minions, who is master-puppeteer? Orusc not fit for mind-healing, Blood-mind and Soul-body. Opposites-wrong, fiends instead of celestials. Divine-One Red-Eye tangles in high-strange realms."

Getting his thoughts back on track once more he talks to The Thew about his thoughts: "Plague-disease is weapon, this one can make-turn water sources into foul things, but takes long time to leave. If agent smuggles into water-supply of hobgoblin-things, would spread and weaken-kill. But lack strong-powerful plagues, only have few-weak plagues. You know-wise to where-how this one can get-find more?"

Bowing his head, Ikrit turns his glassy eyes to the guard as the spirits around him stare unerringly: "Have business with Blessed Lady Chokka, new weapon, dangerous, lasting."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

The guard hesitates, mulling over this proposition, and finally says, "This tower holds secrets you are not permitted to see. If you agree to be blindfolded for the ascent and the descent, we will guide you safely to the top, where you may talk with Chokka." With his consent, the guards put a thick, dark bag over his head and another Nezumi just inside the tower looks up from some ledgers to lead him up the steps. They make slow but steady progress, and it's quite a bit longer than he expected. The Thew gives him a comforting sense of their total progress, and with that the journey becomes easier to weather with patience.

The Thew thinks for a long while before it replies. "I do not know what Orusc plans, but I sense that he spoke with some truth: he seeks to make a powerful body crafted from the bodies of dead Nezumi. I guess he wants to make a golem body. If this is the case, the body will interfere with most of Tun's old powers and abilities, be much slower, and Tun might be very upset with it, but he but he will still be able to perform his blood-craft. I suspect Orusc wishes to remove Tun's ability to make pacts and agreements, and keep that ability for himself."

They are little more than half of the way up the tower, and have a bit more time for contemplation or conversation.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-04-20 at 04:13 AM.

more

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ikrit nods at the guard: "Blessings upon you brother-sibling," before following the guard, slowly waving his censor from side to side as he walks.

Mumbling prayers in-between conversing with The Thew as he walks:
    "Do you-belt have-know secrets of plague-disease? Would like-want. Can make-forge alliance-pact?"
    "Tun-thing weakened, but here? Can transfer into new-other body after Chieftain decides-punishes?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

The Thew shows no interest in either a plague or making of pacts. I am here to serve you. As long as you wear me, you are my master.

Orusc has talked with Red-Eye many times, and I suspect he and the Great Chief agree on their...dislike of Tun. I suspect Orusc hides this disdisdain for concern that it would be exploited, and instead tempts others towards more agreements. Body transfers are far beyond my knowledge, as are the workings of metal and energy. But those employers of Orusc and Tun..? They would have connections.

This inevitably brings back a previously unanswered question: Who do they work for, who is master-puppeteer? I am compelled not to say. Orusc and Tun have both an employer and work in service to another being. But I have something else in mind to discuss..

Blood Magic is the purest form of magic possible, for it coheres to the very soul of a being, beyond their simple emotions and choices. In this realm of Rokugan, the being known as Fu Leng, the Divinity that betrayed the others and fell from the Celestial Realm, has made it impossible to work blood magic without him being able to corrupt it. Tun was the exception, but only if he worked in the guise of a Nezumi, a pure being beyond Fu Leng's taint. That word, Nezumi, carries a meaning of vermin in it, both a blessing and a curse, at least to the Rokugani: although Nezumi are pure, they are despised by nearly all the humans. They paid for their purity, and most of their whole race lacks memory.

The Thew's musings blend in with your journey. It's only near the top, as Ikrit hears conversation, does he realize the implications about what The Thew said about the Blood Magic.

Is that why you decided against being a Remember, Chokka?
    No. I would have failed the test anyways. Better to have... She cuts off as the guard brings Ikrit into view. She speaks with another Nezumi, a scarred one, tough and strong-looking despite his age. He has a tattoo on his left shoulder indicating the rank of Captain. This is unexpected.
    The guard that accompanied Ikrit unveils him and descends. The half-Nezumi can see a great deal more than he could from the citadel ramparts. A nearly perfect view of the forest, blocked only by the other two towers, and a good deal beyond. He can see the Baobob, occupied by the Hobgoblins, and their long line of reinforcements and caravans that approach the tree. He sees, too, the hidden encampments of the Nezumi and--was it a trick of his eyes?--a flash of silver among the Nezumi, and another one, more brief than a blink of an eye. Much of the forest had been burnt, and many of the Hobgoblin fortifications near the Baobob had been consumed in terrible fire, evidenced by the blackened earth around them. But even now, they cut down the forest near them.

Beyond the forest to the North, be could see many mountains, and the barest glimmer of heat not from the sun, to the north. The fabled Northern Sands from which these Goblins came. To the West-North, more mountains that also seemed to darken even with the presence of the sun, and to the far West, a darkness that almost hurt his eyes to look at.

They must be stopped, Lady Chokka, the guard says, nodding to the Baobob where the Hobgoblins occupied.
    Chokka eyes Ikrit as she responds to the guard-captain. And they will. This is the one I told you about, captain. He is the one I hope will bring new and lasting victory against our invading host. Do you bring good news, Ikrit?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-04-20 at 07:00 PM.

more

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Does the Skaven-Nezumi carry this purity? Could I-we learn the blood-magic? Do you-belt know, can teach-show blood-magics? Can Thew get-find body and help Skaven-Nezumi?" Ikrit asks of The Thew before ending his prayers as he hears Chokka's voice.

Inclining his head to the guard-captain and bowing to Lady Chokka, Ikrit presents the news: "Two-fold is news.First-worst, spirits" He gestures to the spirits following him, "doubled after blessing of Mage-Chieftain, will-can construct relic-device of power-disease, can spread to hobgoblin-things, if give up-kill tree, can put into water supply, silent killer, can spread to all-most that fights. Allow to retreat, let disease-plague claim-weaken. Best-second, Nezumi are-is pure, immune to taint-corruption, can learn-use blood-magics with no risk-threat of Fu Leng. Blood-magic is pure-stong, is why human-things hate-fear Nezumi. Memory is cost, but if no use price, is bad trade. Must-must start using-teaching blood magic. Hobgoblins are-is materials."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The Thew is thoughtful, and doesn't speak for a while.

Chokka nods. "Whatever knowledge you have, we'll give you the resources you need to construct your war machines. We have forges and forgers, and finally enough resources from our allies among the Rokugani.

When Ikrit starts to speak of Blood Magic, the lady warrior and the guard-captain share a look. "Red-Eye forbade us to use Blood Magic, as it was a practice used by Tun. He does not wish us to use it until Tun has been...returned. If you have such knowledge of these arts, do not practice in this citadel, and do not get caught.

The Thew interjects a thought into Ikrit's mind. I have no means to teach you blood magic. It's the most-guarded secret of Tun. But some of his knowledge may still remain...in crystals that Orusc has.

The air around you darkens for a brief moment, and Chokka reaches out to the Guard-captain. Ikrit hears the sound of a snapping neck, and as the darkness fades, the guard-captain flies off the observation platform, over the thin metal guard-rails, to the outside the citadel, far below. Chokka does an excellent act of yelling out in shock and rushes to the thin metal railing, and even does a risky stunt, as if she, too, were hurled off the platform...but catches herself, and the captain slips from her hands with a curse. Three and a half heartbeats later, his body *thwacks* to the ground far below you. Chokka climbs back up the railing deftly, and narrows her eyes, leans forward to rest her body on his, and whispers to Ikrit, Blood magic is taboo, but I trust you can be discreet. Do not get caught. I will not kill to protect your secrets again. She straightens, as if she had recovered from her momentary weakness, and changes to a normal voice.

...We'll have to find a new guard-captain. If we can't trust them to weather the Dark One's attacks from up here, then unfortunately a replacement must be found. Come, youngling, let's be away from this unsafe place before more tragedy befalls us.
    She picks up the cowl and ushers Ikrit down, quickly placing the cover over his head. Again the young half-Skaven gets a comforting feeling of progress. He has a distinct sense he is alone with Chokka for a bit of time. Tell me, young one, what this plague is. I'm curious now how you discovered it. Is it another of the Divine Gifts granted to the new, elite generation?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-05-22 at 06:41 PM.

more

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not having the reflexes to react in time, Ikrit simply nods and follows Chokka.
    'Possession, by who-what? Nezumi have taboos not set by Chieftain, must remember, weaker, but numerous than Skaven-nezumi. Chokka must understand value of blood and purity.'
    As they are alone he brings up the subject of blood-magic, although slightly less direct: "It is taboo-forbidden because the rokugani-things fear-hate nezumi, the price was memory, weapon must be grasped when strong-wise Chieftain Red-Eye is returned to use. Orusc-thing may have crystals of knowledge, Tun-thing guard-hoard this jealously-fearfully. Is source of power, is unique to nezumi, is important, must usurp and take for own. Also Orusc-thing dislike-hate Tun-thing, is weakness, will try to sabotage-inconvenience Tun-thing if can. Need dead nezumi for Tun-things body, Orusc set up war for this."

As he lets Chokka think he returns to a less dangerous subject, if not less vile: "Plague-disease is blessing, This One collects them, makes vials and weapons, is immune, need sample of body with disease or to get disease itself, any rumors-whispers of places of disease would-will be appreciated-beneficial, Lady Chokka. As blessing by Red-Eye turned the spirits into a multitude, they can now build-make a plague-furnace, is for spreading plague on battlefield, clouds of disease, useful for infecting hobgoblins and retreating. Other-second choice is plagueclaw catapult, but unique, can only have one, spirits make-repair, maybe design can be copied-duplicated, but is magic. Can hurls rocks and plague, spread into tree. Else, send invisible eshin-skaven, pour vial into water supply. Maybe add doses of poison-rats, have seen-watched brothers train-find rats. Fight hobgoblin-things when weak-sick, take prisoners, use for magic or slaves. Important."
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2020-04-23 at 05:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Chokka looks surprised with the warning about the bodies being gathered, then shakes her head. "We'll watch where Orusc has others place the bodies for 'storage' and be sure to burn them so he can't use them. Thank you for keeping watch.

...About the crystals, I know of them. Chief Red-Eye used them, so I guess you have some lenience. Still, we should limit our contact from now on. I'll assign you one of my subordinates; they will work with you and will relay messages back to me when needed. Don't tell that person anything you wouldn't want others to know.
    She turns to leave, but as an afterthought she says, We're working on the designs for your catapults. They might be very useful for this siege.

more