Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re-filling the ranks of an ongoing level 15 5e game

So we´ve had a number of players drop out of our 5e game, Cracks of the Multiverse, so much so that we´re down to 2 players. This is just a brief call to see if anyone is interested in jumping into this game! Thanks so much for your time.

Spoiler: Lore
    Show
    You all will be marauders on the Astral plane, having known and traveled with each other for a while. You come upon what looks to be some sort of astral fortress, and upon you breaking in to investigate, you find another party who was sent to do the same thing for a very different reason... that´s really all you gotta know!

Spoiler: Something that vaguely approximates a Big 16
    Show

Starting Character Level: 15.
    Starting Equipment: Standard, plus 500 Gold and one Rare or lower magic item. I´m gonna say no homebrew for the magic item, last time I allowed that it was a headache! Just stick to published material, please.
    Stat Gen: Roll 4d6 drop lowest 7 times, take the 6 that you want.
    Class Options: Any homebrew class or subclass, as long as you let me review it first. Any published class or subclass works. UA allowed, but use the most recent version, and use a published version if it´s been published.
    Race Options: Any published, non-UA race, except for E:RftLW, only Warforged. No homebrew/UA races, if you please, though if you really want/need something, ask.
    Backstory: Whatever you feel, though your backstory should tell me why you´re on the Astral Plane and why you´re as high level as you are.
    Any other notes? Please try to avoid mechanical thinking, that´s one of my pet peeves! A good litmus test is that if you´re making a mechanical choice because of what you want your character to do mechanically and not their backstory or the story you want to tell with them, then you should rethink that choice.
    Let me know if I´ve forgotten anything or if you have questions.

We´re looking for 4-6 more players, so the first 4-6 completed characters we get are going to be the ones to play! Thanks so much for your time, can´t wait to play with y´all!
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2020-03-30 at 08:18 PM.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

2. - Top - End - #2

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Re-filling the ranks of an ongoing level 15 5e game

Is the Psionics Wizard allowed? Similarly, are some/all of the spells from the same UA allowed?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Modigar View Post
    Is the Psionics Wizard allowed? Similarly, are some/all of the spells from the same UA allowed?
    Go for it.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Edit: Wow, rolls like that, I might even go with regular human.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-03-29 at 01:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

Let dem dice roll!

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Edit - wellp...
    That is going to be interesting

Probably going with a college of blades bard, but not sure yet since I need to be as SAD as possible
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2020-03-29 at 02:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Let dem dice roll!

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    Oof... I won´t blame you if you want to take a reroll on that!

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

I actually never played a character with low starting stats, ao thta could be a nice thought excercise (and will counter my tendancy to sometimes go overboard with OPness)

I might play a tanky paladin or ranger actually, it could be fun

Do you allow UA feats?

8. - Top - End - #8

I actually never played a character with low starting stats, ao thta could be a nice thought excercise (and will counter my tendancy to sometimes go overboard with OPness)

I might play a tanky paladin or ranger actually, it could be fun

Do you allow UA feats?
    Alrighty, best of luck to you with those stats! You´ll need it, it seems...

I´d prefer no UA feats, as I already have kind of a shaky relationship with feats and I don´t want to introduce possible imbalance on top of that. Only published feats, if you please!

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Ok, sure!

One last question for now - Tunnel fighting, yay or nay?

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomeWizardGuy

What are the two characters in the game? I'd usually play a wizard or bard controller at level 15, but if that's what you already have, I'd rather not step on their toes. I may try to make something using shadow blade.

(4d6b1)[6]
    (4d6b1)[5]
    (4d6b1)[6]
    (4d6b1)[5]
    (4d6b1)[4]
    (4d6b1)[5]

Edit: Need to practice my dice roller code.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-03-29 at 02:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Oops. Only kept the best die instead of top 3

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomeWizardGuy

and one more

(4d6b3)[6]

13. - Top - End - #13

Ok, sure!

One last question for now - Tunnel fighting, yay or nay?
    Looking at the feat and the community´s general consensus, I´m gonna say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    What are the two characters in the game? I'd usually play a wizard or bard controller at level 15, but if that's what you already have, I'd rather not step on their toes. I may try to make something using shadow blade.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Currently we have a fighter and a beastmaster (homebrew class). Our wizard just dropped, so that´s certainly a void you can fill!

14. - Top - End - #14

GnomeWizardGuy

Great. I'll make a wizard. Would a NG goblin conjuration wizard be ok?
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-03-29 at 02:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Let's see what happens

(4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[15]

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

Im building a gnome soulknife mystic...details will come soon

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomeWizardGuy

Here's Granite, Goblin Sapper, Conjuration Wizard

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    He was an orphan, adopted and raised by a loving human family where he was treated well and worked as a mason’s apprentice. His village was overrun by orcs and my family and the master mason were killed. He survived, escaped and volunteered with most of the other villagers for the army to fight the orcs. As a goblin, he was considered expendable and discriminated against by many. He was assigned as a sapper, where he worked for 2 years in the fight against the orcs. He would dig tunnels under fort walls and use fire and gravity to destroy the wall. It was dangerous work but he always volunteered for the most dangerous missions. He was given several field promotions and ended his military career as a mid-level noncommissioned officer (equivalent to a staff sergeant) leading a team of human and halfling sappers.

He left the army after the campaign ended, but still wears the military insignia proudly. Most of his fellow enlisted soldiers would have given their lives for him, and one risked his own life to save Granite's. He is well known by anyone who fought in the campaign with him and was treated as a mascot by those who knew him. Despite the occasional discrimination, he loves humans, especially the soldiers he fought with. After the war was won, he was discharged and banished for demolishing a tavern while on leave. He claims he was framed. Despite this, he loves halflings and humans.

Since then, he has wandered, studying masonry and wizardry. In his masonry book were hidden several spells. Over the past few years, he has also added his own spells to the book. He recently joined this party looking for adventure.

18. - Top - End - #18

Here's Granite, Goblin Sapper, Conjuration Wizard

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Show
    He was an orphan, adopted and raised by a loving human family where he was treated well and worked as a mason’s apprentice. His village was overrun by orcs and my family and the master mason were killed. He survived, escaped and volunteered with most of the other villagers for the army to fight the orcs. As a goblin, he was considered expendable and discriminated against by many. He was assigned as a sapper, where he worked for 2 years in the fight against the orcs. He would dig tunnels under fort walls and use fire and gravity to destroy the wall. It was dangerous work but he always volunteered for the most dangerous missions. He was given several field promotions and ended his military career as a mid-level noncommissioned officer (equivalent to a staff sergeant) leading a team of human and halfling sappers.

He left the army after the campaign ended, but still wears the military insignia proudly. Most of his fellow enlisted soldiers would have given their lives for him, and one risked his own life to save Granite's. He is well known by anyone who fought in the campaign with him and was treated as a mascot by those who knew him. Despite the occasional discrimination, he loves humans, especially the soldiers he fought with. After the war was won, he was discharged and banished for demolishing a tavern while on leave. He claims he was framed. Despite this, he loves halflings and humans.

Since then, he has wandered, studying masonry and wizardry. In his masonry book were hidden several spells. Over the past few years, he has also added his own spells to the book. He recently joined this party looking for adventure.
    Looks phenomenal! 1 of 4 down.

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SunderedWorldDM View Post
    Looks phenomenal! 1 of 4 down.
    Great! Thanks

I tried to avoid spells that I thought you'd want as a psionic wizard. If you get your character in, I'm happy to trade out any spells that would be redundant. Two wizards in a party can be a lot of fun.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

I tried to avoid spells that I thought you'd want as a psionic wizard. If you get your character in, I'm happy to trade out any spells that would be redundant. Two wizards in a party can be a lot of fun.
    Having been one of two wizard in my only high level game played, it really can be. Speaking of my character, meet Elirathol, renegade githyanki wizard that appropriately wound up far more gishy than I originally intended.

Show
    As with most of his kind, Elirathol was hatched in a well concealed military post on an obscure island on the material plane. Trained practically from birth, it became clear he had significant aptitude, both as a decent swordsman, and as an incredibly psionicist. Trained all the harder for this, he nonetheless prospered and stood out among his peers. And when the time came, he slew a mind flayer, as was tradition, and presented it's corpse to Vlaakith personally.

Having entered Tu'narath, however, he quickly found himself frustrated with the laziness of his peers. Although induction into the githyanki knights kept him occupied for a while, the boredom was nonetheless quick to set in. As such, he was first to volunteer for the next raid.

However, said raid only intensified his disdain for his culture. Less a battle and more a pointless massacre, it was then he made his decision. Feigning his death, and casting aside his silver sword, he abandoned Tu'narath. Now, he wanders in search of allies, that he might slay Vlaakith, and force a change from the outside that he could not have accomplished alone inside.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-03-30 at 06:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

(4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

(4d6)[11]
    (4d6)[15]
    (4d6)[11]
    (4d6)[11]
    (4d6)[11]
    (4d6)[12]
    (4d6)[17]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Xetheral View Post
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    [roll6]
    Wrong dice code. Correcting:

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Apparently I can't type today. One more: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Last edited by Xetheral; 2020-03-29 at 05:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

*sigh* (4d6b3)[14]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

(4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Wow... assuming reroll...
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2020-03-29 at 10:45 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, sorry for the double post. I’m considering a Land Druid or a Cleric of some sort.

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Having been one of two wizard in my only high level game played, it really can be. Speaking of my character, meet Elirathol, renegade githyanki wizard that appropriately wound up far more gishy than I originally intended.
    Great! 2/4! Could you post your backstory here so I can have it all in one place? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Ok, sorry for the double post. I’m considering a Land Druid or a Cleric of some sort.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    Go ahead and keep those new rolls! Those sound fun.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be interested. Astral Marauders sounds like a place for a Conquest Paladin and/or a Warlock of some kind. Let's see what the dice are up to:

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's my character. I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure what sort of group would be called marauders. Doesn't seem like a stereotypical paladin would fit in.

https://ddb.ac/characters/25765209/dRoYy4

Spoiler: Backstory:
    Show

Megil was born to two half-elf heroes - a holy paladin and a powerful wizard. It's a curiosity that he inherited neither his father's strength and conviction, nor
    his mother's intellect. He spent his youth being surrounded by their success and excellence, which was denied him. His parents were understanding - if his talents
    lay elsewhere, they were happy to support him in his search for a role. Might he be a cleric? But he had no faith in any gods, nor any interest in discipline or
    self-abnegation and humility. Perhaps a bard's path would suit him better? He was too proud and self-centered to perform.
    One day, he happened to be around when an unusual sword was brought to his mother for safe-keeping. Its black scabbard was decorated with pieces of cut obsidian and everyone was careful not to draw it. Was it cursed? Or just too powerful?
    She explained to him that it was called Blackrazor, and it was recovered from a terrible man who was just arrested by the authorities. She locked it away, pending sealing in a secret location the next day, but Megil knew where she kept the key.
    That night, he snuck in and opened the case but barely had time to even touch it before the alarm sounded and he ran. That touch, though, was enough to create some kind of bond.
    He ran away from home shortly after, determined - obsessed - to become powerful in his own way. To get by, he collected bounties by tracking down wanted men, but he craved more. This wasn't power! He began to hear whispers, telling him that he could have power somewhat like his mother's, and battle prowess somewhat like his father's. All he needed to do was agree and she would give it to him. For a price…
    He received power, training, information. He learned how to cast spells and fight in armor and with a greatsword. In return, he would receive mental orders which he did not dare to disobey.
    Over the last twenty years, he grew in power and performed increasingly more difficult tasks for his mysterious benefactor. Then, a little while ago, he was ordered to join a certain group and go with them to a special location on the Astral Plane, the first time he had left the Prime.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokaze View Post
    Here's my character. I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure what sort of group would be called marauders. Doesn't seem like a stereotypical paladin would fit in.

https://ddb.ac/characters/25765209/dRoYy4

Spoiler: Backstory:
    Show

Megil was born to two half-elf heroes - a holy paladin and a powerful wizard. It's a curiosity that he inherited neither his father's strength and conviction, nor
    his mother's intellect. He spent his youth being surrounded by their success and excellence, which was denied him. His parents were understanding - if his talents
    lay elsewhere, they were happy to support him in his search for a role. Might he be a cleric? But he had no faith in any gods, nor any interest in discipline or
    self-abnegation and humility. Perhaps a bard's path would suit him better? He was too proud and self-centered to perform.
    One day, he happened to be around when an unusual sword was brought to his mother for safe-keeping. Its black scabbard was decorated with pieces of cut obsidian and everyone was careful not to draw it. Was it cursed? Or just too powerful?
    She explained to him that it was called Blackrazor, and it was recovered from a terrible man who was just arrested by the authorities. She locked it away, pending sealing in a secret location the next day, but Megil knew where she kept the key.
    That night, he snuck in and opened the case but barely had time to even touch it before the alarm sounded and he ran. That touch, though, was enough to create some kind of bond.
    He ran away from home shortly after, determined - obsessed - to become powerful in his own way. To get by, he collected bounties by tracking down wanted men, but he craved more. This wasn't power! He began to hear whispers, telling him that he could have power somewhat like his mother's, and battle prowess somewhat like his father's. All he needed to do was agree and she would give it to him. For a price…
    He received power, training, information. He learned how to cast spells and fight in armor and with a greatsword. In return, he would receive mental orders which he did not dare to disobey.
    Over the last twenty years, he grew in power and performed increasingly more difficult tasks for his mysterious benefactor. Then, a little while ago, he was ordered to join a certain group and go with them to a special location on the Astral Plane, the first time he had left the Prime.
    Looks great! Love the idea of Blackrazor commanding you to inscrutable ends... would you rather you, me or the both of us play Blackrazor? 3/4. Almost full, everybody! I can take a max of 6, but we'll probably get everyone into the threads sooner rather than later... moral of the story, act fast!