Default Re: Re-filling the ranks of an ongoing level 15 5e game

[roll]4d6k3[/roll]
    [roll]4d6k3[/roll]
    [roll]4d6k3[/roll]
    [roll]4d6k3[/roll]
    [roll]4d6k3[/roll]
    [roll]4d6k3[/roll]
    [roll]4d6k3[/roll]

I'm thinking of playing either a gun-using bladelock (DMG gun rules are fairly balanced with the Arcane Gunslinger invocation), a martial swordfighter (I have a fairly balanced homebrew feat for barbarians to gain rage benefits with dex), or maybe something else, depending on what you're okay with and how much garbo I roll.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    *cough*

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Might be too late for this, but let's see what happens:

(4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SunderedWorldDM View Post
    Looks great! Love the idea of Blackrazor commanding you to inscrutable ends... would you rather you, me or the both of us play Blackrazor? 3/4. Almost full, everybody! I can take a max of 6, but we'll probably get everyone into the threads sooner rather than later... moral of the story, act fast!
    Awesome! I was actually going for the voice being the Raven Queen because of this from the hexblade description:

"Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends."

Either way, I think it would be cool to have conversations with it, like a crazy person, so if you're good I'll play that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and take a reroll.
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Missed one! Seventh roll:

(4d6b3)[15]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokaze View Post
    Awesome! I was actually going for the voice being the Raven Queen because of this from the hexblade description:

"Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends."

Either way, I think it would be cool to have conversations with it, like a crazy person, so if you're good I'll play that.
    Oh, gotcha! I was thinking you took the famous sentient magic item Blackrazor and that it was talking to you. If it's the Raven Queen, then sure, you can play her however you so please.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a legendary level magic item so I didn't even consider taking it. But if you're cool with me having it, I won't argue!

9. - Top - End - #39

It's a legendary level magic item so I didn't even consider taking it. But if you're cool with me having it, I won't argue!
    See, that's what puzzled me- I didn't think Blackrazor was rare! I would prefer you NOT take the one the only the true Blackrazor, but who's to say the other sword can't be a friendly little impostor, hm?
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2020-03-30 at 11:47 AM.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Here's my character, Varis Brightwood:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2164875

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Varis was born in a joyful house. His parents were simple folk, and very much in love despite the difficulties their lifespans would bring in the future. From them, Varis learned to live in the moment and be grateful for his blessings.

He showed talent for music and song at an early age, and soon began to earn some renown as a troubadour. However, his sharp tongue got him into trouble as he punctured self-righteous individuals in high society, stood up to bullies, and generally stood up for what he thought was right.

Of course, he eventually overreached himself and had to go on the road after humiliating a visiting lord, who swore vengeance. From there, a life of adventure began to unfold itself as Varis tumbled from one situation to the next, led by nothing more than his conscience. He loved the look on people's faces when he managed to relieve their burdens or free them from their oppressors, and eventually travelled deep into the woods to swear an oath to the old powers that he would spread joy and light wherever he went.

Several escapades later, he crossed blades with a warlock beholden to one of the unseelie. He managed to disrupt the ritual being carried out which would have buried the whole kingdom in snow and darkness, but the backdraft blew him through a portal to the astral plane. Varis now searches for a way to get home - but not too quickly. After all, this place is new and interesting, and has many new things to experience!

Background now finished 🙂
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-30 at 12:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wanted to shore up his defense, since he won't be using a shield, but I couldn't afford a suit of half plate given the gold limit. So I used my free magic item pick to give him adamantine half plate which is actually uncommon, not rare... I would actually be willing to downgrade to regular half plate if I could have a better sword.

How about this, I just got this idea. Let's say Blackrazor is not unique and there are several/many of them going around Prime, but the twist is that their full power is "sealed away" until a worthy/capable wielder who is sworn to the Raven Queen's service wields it in her service. Kinda like a zanpakuto actually. So, lets say it would be a fully released and have all the stats of the Blackrazor when wielded by a level 20 Hexblade, but since Megil is still only level 15 it has lower stats.

If you're interested, maybe you could take the Blackrazor and nerf it so it's about as powerful as a rare item?

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    Here's my character, Varis Brightwood:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2164875

Show
    Varis was born in a joyful house. His parents were simple folk, and very much in love despite the difficulties their lifespans would bring in the future. From them, Varis learned to live in the moment and be grateful for his blessings.

He showed talent for music and song at an early age, and soon began to earn some renown as a troubadour. However, his sharp tongue got him into trouble as he punctured self-righteous individuals in high society, stood up to bullies, and generally stood up for what he thought was right.

Of course, he eventually overreached himself and had to go on the road after humiliating a visiting lord, who swore vengeance. From there, a life of adventure began to unfold itself as Varis tumbled from one situation to the next, led by nothing more than his conscience. He loved the look on people's faces when he managed to relieve their burdens or free them from their oppressors, and eventually travelled deep into the woods to swear an oath to the old powers that he would spread joy and light wherever he went.

Background still WIP - have to go out!
    Looks fabulous! That'll be 4/4. I'll close this thread this evening and get everyone into the threads! If you really do want to play, I can take 2 more submissions max, and it's first come first serve!

I wanted to shore up his defense, since he won't be using a shield, but I couldn't afford a suit of half plate given the gold limit. So I used my free magic item pick to give him adamantine half plate which is actually uncommon, not rare... I would actually be willing to downgrade to regular half plate if I could have a better sword.

How about this, I just got this idea. Let's say Blackrazor is not unique and there are several/many of them going around Prime, but the twist is that their full power is "sealed away" until a worthy/capable wielder who is sworn to the Raven Queen's service wields it in her service. Kinda like a zanpakuto actually. So, lets say it would be a fully released and have all the stats of the Blackrazor when wielded by a level 20 Hexblade, but since Megil is still only level 15 it has lower stats.

If you're interested, maybe you could take the Blackrazor and nerf it so it's about as powerful as a rare item?
    Hm... the idea is interesting. Perhaps it could be tweaked, the other way around: Blackrazor is unique, a champion of the Raven Queen took their pact blade and forged it into a truly mighty artifact. All of the RQ's other pact blades got jealous that this one became so cool, and so some of them on their own decided to call themselves Blackrazor in the hope that a mighty user would forge them into a blade to rival the original? So your Blackrazor is just a pact weapon, for now, but it will be leading you and guiding you to ways of enhancing its power so that it can join its distant cousin. Does that sound like an acceptable compromise?

What sort of a "better sword" are you wanting? Unfortunately, I'm not too keen on refluffing or homebrewing the original Blackrazor, though if you found a rare item that you wanted to emulate and tweak the fluff of, we could negotiate that!

13. - Top - End - #43

GnomeWizardGuy

Sundered, do the wizards start with their spell components? I took Plane Shift, Forcecage and Contingency but they each have non consumable spell components that cost 500gp or more. If I need to buy my spell components I'd like to change a few of my spells.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Sundered, do the wizards start with their spell components? I took Plane Shift, Forcecage and Contingency but they each have non consumable spell components that cost 500gp or more. If I need to buy my spell components I'd like to change a few of my spells.
    Change away.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, right now I can make a +1 greatsword via pact weapon feature, out of thin air. That's fine with me but if I gave up the uncommon armor I would be happy with a +2 greatsword which is a rare quality magic item. That +1 to hit might not seem like much but with my build every little bit counts.

I'm fine with doing it as you described.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to come into this with an Astral Soul Monk, having traveled to the Astral Plane in pursuit of perfection. Lemme chuck some stats and hope they're not terrible.

(4d6b3)[14](4d6b3)[15](4d6b3)[12](4d6b3)[14](4d6b3)[10](4d6b3)[7](4d6b3)[15]

Not bad at all. For my magic item: Arms of the Astral Self are "Monk Weapons", can I make them a magic weapon?
    Last edited by Rokku; 2020-03-30 at 02:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Oops - just remembered Oath spells. Don't want to forget them!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Two spots left? First come, first serve? I like those odds.

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-03-30 at 04:39 PM.
    Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, may their updates be ever-compatible.

If you need me to address something as a moderator, please include a link.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Got my entry done. Hopefully, in the nick of time.

Malathorn

Show

Malathorn was a holy warrior, though he insists he still is one. Fed up with what he saw as the feebleness of his old order and their kowtowing to temporal authority, he struck out on his own path. Not only did he find he did not lose his god's blessing, but his abilities were improved exponentially when he learned to draw on the arcane might within his own blood; study and prayer proved useless in expanding his knowledge—only the heat of combat drew out his true talents. In the years since he abandoned his old oaths, he resolved to gain the might he needed to return to his country of birth and sweep aside the bickering merchant-politicians, the corrupt guardsmen and their incompetent captains, and the simpering old men who comically named themselves Templars. He would need to secure powerful allies and artifacts to do so, however, and his pursuit of both has led him to further realms than he had ever known existed.

Spoiler: Theme Song
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Two spots left? First come, first serve? I like those odds.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    Best of luck to you!

Well, right now I can make a +1 greatsword via pact weapon feature, out of thin air. That's fine with me but if I gave up the uncommon armor I would be happy with a +2 greatsword which is a rare quality magic item. That +1 to hit might not seem like much but with my build every little bit counts.

I'm fine with doing it as you described.
    Go for it, take the +2! I haven't looked at the Hexblade in a while, but I assume you can use that as your pact weapon if you bond with it and circle the fire three times under the full moon and whatnot?

Cool cool. Your pact weapon is a Blackrazor wannabe! Of course, by that I mean genuine article in the making...

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I'd love to come into this with an Astral Soul Monk, having traveled to the Astral Plane in pursuit of perfection. Lemme chuck some stats and hope they're not terrible.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6]

Not bad at all. For my magic item: Arms of the Astral Self are "Monk Weapons", can I make them a magic weapon?
    Let me look into that... though I'm thinking that since the Astral Self is like an internal pool of energy or something like that, it wouldn't be able to be traded out for a magic version.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Ranged fighter, focused on the bow. Very straightforward. I'll have a sheet up later tonight hopefully.

Edit: ouch, those rolls.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2020-03-30 at 07:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

May I take the standard array instead of the above rolls?

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian MD View Post
    May I take the standard array instead of the above rolls?
    Go for it, or you can just roll again!

24. - Top - End - #54

All y'all daredevils wanting to get the last two spots have a couple hours until I just call it and take the four that I have. Once I post the final list and get the links up, that's it! Let's say the cutoff is going to be just before two and a half hours from now?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Standard array character sheet (Rune Knight Bow-focused fighter): https://ddb.ac/characters/25826674/NSj0NC

Here's a roll though, cause why not, right?
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[7]

Backstory is rattling around in my head. Will complete tonguth hopefully, as well as purchases.

26. - Top - End - #56

GnomeWizardGuy

All y'all daredevils wanting to get the last two spots have a couple hours until I just call it and take the four that I have. Once I post the final list and get the links up, that's it! Let's say the cutoff is going to be just before two and a half hours from now?
    If you like these two I think that puts us to 6. 2 wizards, 2 paladins, a hexblade and a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Got my entry done. Hopefully, in the nick of time.

Malathorn

Show

Malathorn was a holy warrior, though he insists he still is one. Fed up with what he saw as the feebleness of his old order and their kowtowing to temporal authority, he struck out on his own path. Not only did he find he did not lose his god's blessing, but his abilities were improved exponentially when he learned to draw on the arcane might within his own blood; study and prayer proved useless in expanding his knowledge—only the heat of combat drew out his true talents. In the years since he abandoned his old oaths, he resolved to gain the might he needed to return to his country of birth and sweep aside the bickering merchant-politicians, the corrupt guardsmen and their incompetent captains, and the simpering old men who comically named themselves Templars. He would need to secure powerful allies and artifacts to do so, however, and his pursuit of both has led him to further realms than he had ever known existed.

Spoiler: Theme Song
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian MD View Post
    Standard array character sheet (Rune Knight Bow-focused fighter): https://ddb.ac/characters/25826674/NSj0NC

Here's a roll though, cause why not, right?
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]

Backstory is rattling around in my head. Will complete tonguth hopefully, as well as purchases.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go for it, take the +2! I haven't looked at the Hexblade in a while, but I assume you can use that as your pact weapon if you bond with it and circle the fire three times under the full moon and whatnot?

Cool cool. Your pact weapon is a Blackrazor wannabe! Of course, by that I mean genuine article in the making...
    Yes! Hopefully I can push through and reach bankai full Blackrazor level!

But, man. Really, no healers. Man... I don't want to give up the hexblade but how're we going to live? Sundered, do you want me to reroll a healer?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Let me look into that... though I'm thinking that since the Astral Self is like an internal pool of energy or something like that, it wouldn't be able to be traded out for a magic version.
    Yeah it's just frustrating to be denied that basic bonus every other melee class can get, y'know?

Anyway, I'd assume it would come from honing the purity of the soul and whatnot.

(I'd also be fine with anything that works on Unarmed Strikes - which is also virtually nonexistent - working on the Arms of the Astral Self.)
    Last edited by Rokku; 2020-03-30 at 08:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Backstory," since this is going quickly:

Growing up in Sigil you meet all kinds of Berks, y'know? The Doomguard. The Wavers. The Takers. The Harmonium. Everybody had a gormin' name. They lived and died for some imagined ideal, or philosophy, god or goddess.

But all that do'en't change the fact that everyone in the City of Doors, in the end, is just a prisoner, does it?

Kore was just more a prisoner than most folks. He'd spent three years in this gormin' prison, and another three ta go.

And now someone was springin' him early. Who in the nine hells the berk was, Kore didn't much care. But he apparently had a lot of pull, or a lot of money, or both. He had gotten Kore out. And that was all that mattered. Clearly there was goin' to be a catch. There was always a catch. No one handed over five hundred gold to an ex-convict with no strings attached. But anything was better than rottin' in prison.

Seems the old geezer had taken a liking to his work back in Sigren on the Prime. Only thing that made any sense, that. What was it? Six, seven years ago? That had been some sweet justice, though he thought he had kept it quiet. Work for a beholder crime boss for seven years, and you'd think you'd earn a little trust, a little respect. Gorm, that had been a tight spot. See one thing you're not supposed ta and boom, yer out. They had tried to feed him to the fishes. Can't trust anyone these days. I mean, if you can't trust a psychopathic mafosio aberration, who can ya trust, amiright? Well, he'd shown them.

It couldn't possibly have been for the mess that landed him in the slammer. That was a gormin' mess. Stupid rich nobleman's son, playin' at war, trying to hang with the big boys out in the frontier in the Plane o' Fire. He'd gotten himself gutted right good. Kore sure as hell didn't feel any remorse about it. He'd been a fool and a coward and a traitor. A'course, that had meant the investigators had come in and strung up Kore's unit to 'teach him a lesson' afore they sent him into that dark hole forever. Didn't seem to care what the little git had been doing on the side. They had hushed that up right nicely.

Well, whatever it was, this merc figured he'd be payin' it back big time for the foreseeable future. That was fine. Wasn't like he had anything else ta do. It'd be an awful shame to let that five hundred go to waste, though. Sounded like a good night to celebrate. A stiff drink maybe for the road. And then off to the gormin' Astral.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

But, man. Really, no healers. Man... I don't want to give up the hexblade but how're we going to live? Sundered, do you want me to reroll a healer?
    My Paladin is multiclassed with Divine Soul Sorcerer, it's no Life Cleric but surely it'll be enough to get by?