New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo IC - Season Two

Aliani looked uncertainly at his compatriots. ”So, uh, any ideas on how we get in?” he asked, before a realization hit.

”Actually, better question. How do they plan to get out? They can’t be expecting to just walk out the front door. There must be a way out that... tunnels?”

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler: STAT BLOCK
    Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 26 | AC: 20 | TOUCH: 16 | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 | FCMD: 11
    INITIATIVE: +7 | PERCEPTION: +11 | FORTITUDE: +4 | REFLEX: +11 (Evasion) | WILL: +2
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.

Eying the proffered hand for a moment, Jakkin makes the rest of his way up onto the roof on his own. These folk may all be bigger than him, but that doesn’t mean he’s not perfectly capable in his own right.

Wait one; we got ‘nother card in play up here, he mutters under his breath, the spell carrying away his words to his allies.

"Glad ya made it," he nods curtly at Blackjack. "A real cluster s’what we got here. All the doors locked, guarded by goons holding hostages, trying to keep what’s going on hush-hush. Lead by a crooked former guardsman, they’re stalling for time."

He grins fiercely.

"Thought I’d get in there and let th’rest of my team in to deal with things, see just what the hell they think they’re up to. Ya in?" the Halfling inquires, glancing down through the skylight. Bit of a drop, that.

3. - Top - End - #423

Silas blinked into recollection when Aliani spoke.

"Ah, right, you did mention tunnels. Do we have a map for them?"
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

The playwright shook his head, whispering wryly, "If I had such a map, I would be down there using it, instead of looking up at a window thinking 'how the hell am I supposed to get up there?'"

5. - Top - End - #425

"True enough, darling. Perhaps we could try coming from behind. The rear door may be unlocked or broken - if luck is on our side."

Silas toured the sides of the building in pursuit of the employee entrance.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right now I think Jakkin and whatever other ally he's coordinating with are our best ways forward. If he should fail we can attempt some sort of ploy at the door. Perhaps claim to be some sort of delivery that is expected," Dalen shrugs, "but if we arouse suspicion that could make Jakkin's approach more difficult,"

7. - Top - End - #427

"Mayhaps an expected visit?"

Silas pantomimed the intention of his words well enough using the end of his tail as a prop. He was only half-serious of course. Jakkin, it would appear, was needed before they could progress without alerting their enemies any more than they already were.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2021-05-03 at 09:04 AM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Silas takes a discrete saunter around the Longacre Building, examining any additional entrances besides breaking down the front door or smashing through a second-story window.

He does indeed discover the back "employee" entrance at, surprisingly enough, the back side of the structure, although the alley that leads to this stout wooden door is fenced off by a high iron wrought gate at both ends.
    This gate is predictably locked, and there seems to be a small shed just inside where a guard would usually sit and wait to allow authorized visitors (i.e. employees) through that is suspiciously unmanned at the moment.
    However, Silas does catch a glint of metal through the shed's open window that appears to be a ring of keys mounted on a peg - presumably the keys to open the gate and perhaps the back door as well.
    They would not be accessible from the street without some sort of magical chicanery, or someone climbing over the spike-tipped gate (or up onto the roof and then from there down into the alleyway), but at least it's a potential option.

Up on the roof, Blackjack does not seem insulted by Jakkin ignoring his offered help, and nods sagely at Jakkin's report on the situation.

"So this robbing the Bank of Abadar claim of Lamm's was smoke and mirrors, then. I was just over there - two imbeciles hopped up on Shudder smashed in the front door, and were then promptly shot full of crossbow bolts. The guard's still distracted by the attempt though, and left to their own devices will probably spend the next hour cleaning up the mess, interviewing witnesses, and looking around for a more subtle strike on the Bank that won't be coming - because it's right here instead. We've got to get in there, fast - Lamm might be happy to take hostages to hold off the guard for another hour or two once discovered, but they'll outlive their usefulness to him eventually."

That naturally led the two of you over to the skylight, which carefully peering down allows you to see down directly into the main courtroom. What you see down there caused you both to promptly slink back out of easy line of sight, as there are plenty of people down there inside the courtroom. Most of them are locked up inside the large cage that dominates the front left wall of the room, chained down onto the benches within the cage - often by only one arm as there are more "prisoners" than sets of anchored manacles. Outside the cage, nearly a dozen heavily armed men in city guard uniforms mill about, half watching the other half labor at breaking down a door at the back of the courtroom that probably leads into the arbiter's private chambers while a man in an officer's uniform seems to be speaking to whoever is on the other side of the door, doubtlessly trying to convince the occupant(s) to surrender already. Thankfully, they are all too busy with the effort to break down the door to notice the two shadows peering down at them.

"Well, that settles that for me, then. I'll crash through the skylight here right into the middle of them before they can realize I'm even here to start grabbing hostages."

Blackjack growls, producing a rope from within his cloak and clearly casting his gaze about for a place to anchor one end. He stops for a moment to glance back at Jakkin.

"I assume you aren't here alone. You and your friends want to crash into the courtroom with me, or do you think you can make some noise at one of the other entrances, and hopefully pull some of them down there away to go investigate?"
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

9. - Top - End - #429

Silas hushed everyone to a whisper as he clasped his hand.

"Ah! I've done this before! I hurt my leg then, but that was a twenty-foot drop. It was very much worth it as the woman chasing me had a pistol. Come now, into positions!"

As the two gentlemen with him clasped their hands, he stepped up against the wall opposite Longacre, lifting himself the rest of the way over the fence. Landing on his feet, he drew his sword and cautiously made his way toward the keys to gain he and his allies access to the prison's rear entrance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled a 17 to get into the back. Drawing weapon with total defense, and stealthily approach the keys and let everyone in. Taking 10 on stealth.

Spoiler: STATBLOCK
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 36/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    AC 21+4+2, Touch 13+4, Flat-footed 18+2, CMD 20, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will -1, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Masterwork Sword Cane +8 (1d6+3, x2)
    Sick AF Falchion, +1 Cold Iron +8 (2d4+5, 18-20/x2)
    Chakram (3) +7 (1d8+3, x2)
    Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, +3 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2021-05-03 at 09:22 PM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani motioned for the tiger to pause, quietly casting a now-familiar spell, causing the tiefling's skin to begin to toughen into a bark-like state. That done, as Silas gracefully scaled the wall, he began murmuring to himself "Everbloom, please cover me from those who would seek to oppress us, as those that would pretend to do so cannot."

Show
    Barkskin for Silas (10 min/level, so probably this whole thing I hope?), Shield for me (1 min/level, so keep track and stuff).

"Time for the energy resistance? For who?" he whispered to Dalen, who was hopefully preparing himself accordingly.

11. - Top - End - #431

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 26 | AC: 20 | TOUCH: 16 | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 | FCMD: 11
    INITIATIVE: +7 | PERCEPTION: +11 | FORTITUDE: +4 | REFLEX: +11 (Evasion) | WILL: +2
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Icy Burst

A grin splits Jakkin’s face.

"Oh, I’m sure indeed that my friends can cause quite the ruckus," he agrees wryly. Chaos seems to be quite the byproduct of their actions, whether intended or no.

If the rest of you can make some noise and attract a bit of attention, Blackjack ‘n I will go start tearin’ apart their hostage situation, he whispers through the communication spell, off-handedly name-dropping. There be a dozen of them at the moment, dressed like city guard.

Rubbing his hands together, he activates his new toy. "Muhyō," he intones, and mist begins to curl up from his hands and feet as they rapidly chill.

"Let’s break some heads," he suggests to his more flamboyantly dressed companion. This should be quite the scuffle.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

"We don't know if Odion is here. Hold that spell in reserve for the moment," Dalen responds to Aliani, then after a brief reflection of their last encounter with Odion adds, "and if you have only one, use it on Jakkin or yourself," he casts mage armor, disguise self, shield on himself as they prepare to make their move. His appears shifts into the same one he used in the meeting days ago with Aliani's 'revolutionary' compatriots.

Dalen aids Silas in leaping over the fence. Then prepares to move in behind his allies.

Show
    If Silas fails to clear the fence, Dalen will send a little bird to fly over and snatch the keys. Rhetoric can carry up to 2.5 lbs

Mage Armor will last 4 hours
    Disguise Self will last 40 minutes
    Shield will last 4 minutes
    Last edited by Darvin; 2021-05-07 at 11:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

With Silas having made it over the fence, from there it is a simple matter for the tiefling to move into the guard post and remove the ring of keys to the gate, allowing him to unlock it and grant access to Dalen and Aliani. Meanwhile up on the roof, Blackjack has managed to find a secure point to tie one end of the rope around, namely one of the gargolyes leering down from the roof’s edge. Giving it a few experimental tugs, the vigilante seems confident this will work and rejoins Jakkin near the skylight.

“You can either help me secure the courtroom or help your friends with anyone guarding the backdoor – remember, the idea is to make enough noise we get a few of those down in the courtroom drawn away before we drop. Rather not having to try to fight a dozen men with potential hostages in the way.”

It seems attracting attention won’t be a problem, however, for Silas opens the back door to reveal a modest lobby, complete with check-in kiosk. Two large mastiffs lounge in the back corners of the room, while a single guard is seated within the kiosk with his feet up on the table. The man sputters in surprise and jumps up to his feet as the dogs growl and also move up to their feet. Then, one of the dog’s throat swells up like a bullfrog, and the dog throws its head back to unleash a deafening series of woofs.

“WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!”

This thunderous alarm is heard all the way up on the roof, and indeed inside of the courtroom as well as the officer shouts out an order – “You five, go check it out! Make sure we’re not under attack!” And five of the guards obediently hurry out of the courtroom into the interconnecting hallway between the two rooms, leaving just the officer and five guards. Blackjack gestures out a three finger countdown, and then jump up and lands directly onto the skylight with his full weight, crashing it through in a downpour of shattered glass. Rather than slide down the rope, Blackjack glides down to the floor of the courtroom like a feather, his handcrossbow already flashing out from underneath his cloak to spit a bolt at the corrupt guardsmen nearest to the hostages.

Spoiler: Blackjack
    Show

Move Action – Jump down through the skylight while drawing handcrossbow, and Feather Falling down to the courtroom floor, Landing in F21.
    Standard Action – Fire Handcrossbow at Guard #10
    To-Hit: (1d20+16)[26]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[4]
    Holy: (2d6)[5]
    Sneak Attack: (4d8)[12]

The guard staggers backwards but surprisingly manages to stay on his feet despite the powerful bolt throwing him back against the cage wall.

"Oh ****, it's BLACKJACK!"

He manages to grate out as he snaps off the end of the bolt sticking out of his chest.

(OOC: Party is up! Dalen, Aliani, and Silas may position themselves within that blue-bordered area within the fenced-off side street, although one of them has to be adjacent to the back door to have opened it – I figured Silas would be the one to do that. Jakkin may join them down on the street prior to this start of hostilities if he wishes, or he may select any of the other five squares of the skylight (F20 to G23) to start his turn in after dropping 20’ to the floor of the courtroom. He can have a surprise round to move if he wishes, so one move action to start working his way down the rope before his action and/or shoot at someone if he has a ranged weapon.

For simplicity’s sake, I had the guards hear the thunder dog’s warning bark and react by having five of them move off to investigate so that Jakkin could have a Round 1 instead of having to wait a turn for them to react. They are currently about 10’ outside the door in the hallway outside, which is 60’ longer than indicated on that map. As such, those five guards will be double moving towards the rest of the party, and should enter the map just outside the back check-in room at the end of Round 2/start of Round 3.)

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Guard #10 - 21 Damage

Battle Map
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-05-11 at 09:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434

"Ah hells! Are these hounds made of concentrated clamour?!"

Once his brace from the barking ceased, Silas flew into the room, his blade already aswing as he chopped at the mutt nearest him. He made sure to wrap around the creature to prepare for the likelihood of new expendables bursting from a door now just a dart's throw away.

Show
    Spoiler: STATS
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 36/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 20, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will -1, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, +3 Dex, +4 Deflect)
    Condition None

Chakram Melee: -1 atk, DC 15 Ref = 1/2 dice dmg to self

Silas moves to U11 and attacks doggy 2.

+1 Cold Iron Falchion
    27 to hit - no crit.
    10 magical slashing damage.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

"Move in and deal with them," Dalen quickly ducks to the side of the door and points a finger towards the dog Silas is charging towards. A small vial in his pocket glows and a globule of acid is launched towards the canine.

Show

Move to Q7, cast acid splash on the dog.

To hit (Touch): (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3] (damage augmented by using Acid as a focus component)

16. - Top - End - #436

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 26 (5pt nonlethal) | AC: 20 | TOUCH: 16 | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 | FCMD: 11
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Icy Burst

Hands and feet drooling chill mist as he watches Blackjack drift down from the shattered skylight for a moment, Jakkin can feel the fierce grin spread across his face. Descending that rope would, indeed, be a trivial task.

But hardly an impressive one.

His bare feet pattering almost silently upon the rooftop, he simply dives through the opening, eschewing the rope entirely as he hits the floor with a bruising grunt and rolls smoothly to his feet in the same motion, beating Blackjack to the courthouse floor and vaulting the swinging half-doors as he bears down aggressively upon injured ‘guard’ near the hostages.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Taking 10 on Acrobatics to jump down from the roof, taking 1d6 nonlethal falling damage: 5
    Finish move in G18

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right" was the soft, grim reply to Dalen.

Even as he advanced to help Silas, he spared a few words for the unaware guard. "You run now, you live. Your choice."

Arriving at his destination and choking up somewhat on his weapon, he let out a silent prayer for strength and forgiveness as he tried to bash a poor pup's brain in.

Show

Move to V9 via U8
    Attack: (1d20+4)[13], damage (1d8)[8]

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

In the back room, the dog's flesh sizzles from Dalen's bolt of acid a moment before Silas buries his falchion in the mutated beast's side, cutting a long gash in its flesh.
    Perhaps in pain, perhaps in anger, the dog's throat swells again, before it throws its head and lets out a thunderous, calamitous howl that catches Aliani just as the playwright moves up to aside Silas, causing his swing to go wide as waves of ear-piercing sound wash over them both. Meanwhile, the other dog races forward to harry Silas's flank with its teeth.

Spoiler: T-Dog #1
    Show

Move: Move up into T12, flanking Silas
    Standard: Bite
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]

Spoiler: T-Dog #2
    Show

Standard: Howl, 20' Radius blast centered on T-Dog #2, Other T-Dogs are immune
    Sonic Damage: (1d8)[6]
    Fort Save DC 15 for Half
    Failure: Staggered for 1 round, Deafened for 1 minute

Even the guard inside the kiosk claps his hands over his ears for a moment, before grunting as he hefts a crossbow to take aim at Aliani in flagrant disregard for his warning.

"Godsdamnit, I hate when they do that!"

The man yells, much too loud before firing his bolt at Aliani.

Spoiler: Guard #1
    Show

Move: Pick up crossbow
    Standard: Fire at Aliani (-4 for firing into melee)
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[10]
    Damage: (1d8)[8]

----------------

In the courtroom, the treacherous officer is quick to react, barking orders to his men.

"You two, keep working on that door! Josef, go get Baldrago and the others, we need help back here NOW!"

The two guards nearest to the door continue working on breaking it down, while the guard nearest to the double doors at the back of the room ducks out to presumably go to the front lobby where Baldrago and his comrades are keeping watch there. The officer then turns his attention to Jakkin who has just finished hopping over the low railing blocking the seating from the actual "court".

"You're going to regret coming here."

He grunts, drawing his hand-axe and mace from his belt as he circles around the defense table while motioning the other two guards to advance in ahead of him. The guard Blackjack had shot moves forward and draws his sword, slashing at Jakkin with a soft grunt of pain as the motion pulls at his shoulder wound. Meanwhile the other guard circles around the table ahead of the corrupt lieutenant to close in on Jakkin from the side. Before Rastin can join in to make this a three-on-one, Blackjack has also hopped over the railing to intercept him, a rapier flashing out from underneath his cloak to deflect the backhand swing made by the guard at Jakkin's flank to attempt to catch the vigilante in mid-swing. Unfortunately, he doesn't manage to get his block up in time, and the guard's longsword bites into Blackjack's side, drawing blood.

Spoiler: Guards
    Show

Guard #7 & Guard #9 each continue hacking at the door with their weapons
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7]

To-Hit: (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7]

Guard #8
    Double Moves to flank Jakkin, takes an AoO at Blackjack as he moves past
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]

Guard #10
    Move: Moves 20', cutting diagionally about the table to get to G17
    Standard: Longsword slash at Jakkin
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

Guard #11
    Retreats towards the front door to go get Baldrago and other reinforcements

Spoiler: Lt. Rastin
    Show

Move - Draw weapons - hand-axe and light mace
    Standard - Move 20' to K17

Show

Move Action: Draw rapier and move to J17, easily Taking 10 on Acrobatics to hop over the railing (provoking an AoO from Guard #8
    Standard: Attack Rastin
    To-Hit: (1d20+15)[30]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]

Battle Map

Show

Guard #10 - 21 Damage
    T-Dog #2 - 12 Damage
    Lt. Rastin - 12 Damage

Silas - 3 Damage
    Aliani - 3 Damage
    Blackjack - 10 Damage
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-05-17 at 09:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439

Silas blinked powerfully against the force emanated by the dog. Shaking off the deafening bark, his ears perked up at the mass of footsteps coming from the other side of the door.

"More than one on the way!"

In his distracted state, he lost his footing and missed what could've been a killing blow. He returned to sense and moved further to the door in hopes his presence might force some hesitation from the advent fools.

Show
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 33/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 20, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will -1, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Condition None

Silas attacks doggy 2 (nat 1 in discord).

Silas takes 5ft step to U12.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2021-05-17 at 10:24 PM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

20. - Top - End - #440

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 26 (5pt nonlethal) | AC: 20 | TOUCH: 16 | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 | FCMD: 11
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Frost (unarmed attack)

Scrambling with unnatural agility, Jakkin recklessly dives and rolls through and around legs, leaving the pair of goons menacing him in his wake until he ends up on the other side of the loudmouthed arse who seems to be under the mistaken impression that he can go toe to toe with the likes of Blackjack.

Admittedly, with a big scary vigilante in one’s face it’s easy to overlook the little things but sometimes that means those little things get to hit you with surprisingly tough icy fists in tender places.

Show
    Acrobatics checks to avoid AoOs as he moves (regular speed, so +10 to difficulty)
    Away from Guard 10: (1d20+16)[34]
    Through space of Guard 8: (1d20+21)[33]
    Through space of Lt. Rastin: (1d20+21)[39]
    Finish move in L16, Flanking
    Attack Rastin: (1d20+11)[16] Punch Damage: (1d4+5)[6] Cold Damage: (1d6)[6] Sneak Damage: (2d6)[11]

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani turned to face the dog just before it let out that awful yell -- counter-instinctual to be sure, but after a few years of loud "surprise" noises one learns that the thing to do is not turn away; that just puts the ear in the direct path. Still, it rang for a moment, and he shook his head to clear the sensation.

He grimly grabbed his morningstar a bit tighter, and let another swing whistle through the air. Well, whistle was perhaps an overstatement.

Show
    Smack bad doggie again, attack (1d20+4)[15], damage (1d8)[2]

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen reaches into his robes and withdraws a trusty wand. The charges were rapidly depleting, but there would be a time to account for costs later. He extends his arm and focuses his attention on a single dog to strike it down.

Show

Magic Missile, both missiles against Dog 1 (2d4+2)[6]

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Silas dances away from the middle of the dogs while Dalen momentarily grabs the one's attention and Aliani grabs the other's with their attacks. This breaks the fighting up into two smaller brawls as the dogs forget about concentrating their attacks and instead just focus on the people hitting them. Unfortunately, save for Dalen's blast of magical missiles from his wand, the party's attacks have little effect on the dogs' thick hides. Inside the kiosk, the guard grumbles something about "damn twiddlefingers" as he reloads his crossbow and moves to exit the kiosk, kicking the door open with an armored boot. Outside in the hallway, everyone can now hear the approaching clatter of armored booted rushing towards the door - you are all about to have quite a bit of company.

Show

Move: Reload crossbow
    5' Step south
    Standard: Open door

Show

Bite Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[21]

Show

Bite Aliani
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[8]

Meanwhile in the courtroom, Jakkin's blow is narrowly deflected off of Rastin's armor as the corrupt guard lieutenant twists aside, although it still diverts the man's attention away from Blackjack, which is a mistake he can ill afford as the vigilante lunges forward and delivers two thrusts in rapid succession. One of them definitely strikes something vital as the lieutenant coughs up blood before collapsing to the floor of the courtroom in a bloody heap.

Spoiler: Blackack
    Show

Full-attack Rastin
    To-Hit: (1d20+17)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    Sneak Attack: (6d4)[14]

To-Hit: (1d20+12)[31]
    Sneak Attack: (6d4)[15]

The two guards Jakkin had left behind attempt to return the favor to Blackjack, coming up behind him and slashing with their longswords, while the remaining two guards continue to carry out Rastin's orders against the door.

Spoiler: Guards
    Show

#7 & #9 vs. the Door
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]

To-Hit: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

#8 & #10 vs. Blackjack
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]

To-Hit: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[3]

Show

Guard #10 - 21 Damage
    T-Dog #1 - 6 Damage
    T-Dog #2 - 12 Damage
    Lt. Rastin - 54 Damage (At -12)

Silas - 3 Damage
    Aliani - 3 Damage
    Blackjack - 13 Damage

Door to Arbiter's Office - 7 Damage

Battle Map
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-05-22 at 02:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Frost (unarmed attack)

Leaving Rastin to collapse, choking on his own blood, Jakkin quickly takes the opportunity to dart around, scrambling underneath the broad, polished wooden tables to pop up behind the distracted guards menacing Blackjack.

Distracted is good. He very much appreciates when people overlook his presence; it gives him such an opportunity to show them why this is a very, very bad plan.

Show
    Move to H16, Flanking Guard 10
    Attack Guard 10: (1d20+11)[12] Punch Damage: (1d4+5)[8] Cold Damage: (1d6)[2] Sneak Damage: (2d6)[8]

25. - Top - End - #445

Silas looked to the door with tempered concern as he considered his next move. He hadn't much to say in that moment other than a simple warning to the others.

"More! Door!"

His grip tightened against his sword. He felt a cool awareness of the only ring on his person as if it might grant a wish and turn him invisible briefly against the incoming band of bastards. Alas, it was but a simple piece of jewelry to compliment his cuffs that day.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

"More?"

How was he supposed to handle more? He couldn't even handle one.

"Uh... okay, try to hold them in the doorway?"

He took a step back away from the ferocious furball, and cast a rather involved spell and a silent I need your prowess, bringing forth a translucent morningstar, which took a swing at the mutt as it came into being even as the bard reached into his pouch for something a little more... flammable.

Show
    5' step to V8
    Cast spiritual weapon to appear at V11
    Spiritual weapon attacks dog at V10, attack (1d20+6)[13], damage (1d8+1)[7]
    Move action: pull alchemist fire from pouch

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

"Step away from the door, Silas," Dalen speaks as he takes a poised stance and glares towards the door, ready to cast the moment enemies came charging through.

Show

Ready action to cast Create Pit on the intersection of T12 and U13 as soon as there's an enemy steps through the door into the targeted area.

Silas should step away from the affected area, and should ensure the following turn he doesn't end his turn adjacent to it as he would risk falling in.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2021-05-23 at 07:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448

Silas reacted to Dalen's demand, stepping back to swing again at the hound nearest Aliani. Perhaps it was the sudden shift of attention or just plain luck, but he struck truer than he had in what felt like years.

Show
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 33/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    Condition None

5ft step back to T-Dog 2, attack.

Rolled in discord: 1d20+10 (flanking) = 28. Crit check = 20. Damage = 22.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Silas steps up behind the dog distracted by Aliani's summoned morningstar and brings his falchion crashing down onto its back end, driving the dog to the floor with a thunderous yelp of pain. It's right back leg is now literally hanging onto its body by a few thin sinews, but the bolstering effect of Shudder is clearly evident as the dog struggles back up to its feet despite the black gore oozing from its shattered back half. It twists around and snaps furiously at Silas. Even so, its crackling, heavy wheezing and black bloody flecks foaming out of its mouth suggest even the Shudder is reaching its limits.

Spoiler: T-Dog #2 Attack
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+6)[19]

The other dog chases after Silas and snaps at his heels, a moment before the door booms open and a guard comes charging into the room. An instant later, Dalen summons a pit into existence, plunging the corrupted dog and the lead guard down 20' to the new floor inside the pit.

Spoiler: T-Dog #1 Attack
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+6)[18]

The second guard entering the room, hot on the heels of the first, somehow manages to see the pit as it starts to form and leaps into the air, making an impressive leap to the far side of the pit before continuing to charge forward to block Aliani in the corner.

Spoiler: Guard #3
    Show

Manages to make the DC 10 Acrobatics difficulty to make the jump despite the armor penalty from Chainmail, and continues double moving to trap Aliani in the corner. This movement does provoke an AoO from Silas if he wishes to take it.

The last three guards post up at the doorway, pulling out their crossbows with a mix of curses. While the two on either side of the door are able to brace themselves against the doorframe to keep themselves braced against the slope of Dalen's pit, the guard right in the doorway nearly slides forward before managing to catch himself on the doorframe itself to keep out of the pit . . . for now (Guard #4 makes the Reflex save against falling in between the +2 bonus for the pit's slope and another +4 from having a doorway to brace himself against. Guard #5 and #6 are currently immune to falling into the pit due to the walls around the doorway to brace against).

Still cursing mages, the last guard emerges from the kiosk, walking to the middle of the room before leveling his crossbow and firing a bolt at Dalen outside.

Show

Move to R11, then firing at Dalen (-4 from cover of the doorway)
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[6]
    Damage: (1d8)[3]

Meanwhile in the courtroom, Blackjack takes advantage once again of Jakkin's provided distraction, skewering the guard through the heart with a single precise thrust as he turns to deal with the halfling harrying his flank. His follow-up strike glances off of the guard's raised shield, who begins fighting defensively in the hopes it will let him live a bit longer.

Show

Full Attack on guards #10 & #8, hitting #10 and dealing another 20 some damage, putting him at something like -18 and outright DEAD, missing #8 on the iterative attack.

"I could use some help over here!"

The man yells, attracting the attention of the two guards still working at the door to the arbiter's private chambers, with very little progress made thus far - apparently swords made poor tools for breaking down doors. The one guard obediently moves to intercept Jakkin, but the other takes a look at the fallen guard and captain, grows pales, and shakes his head before moving over to the door the patrol used to leave, kicking it open to follow them.

"Lamm ain't paying me enough to die! Sod this, I'm outta here!"

Spoiler: Guard #8
    Show

Fighting Defensively (-4 To-Hit, +2 AC)
    To-Hit: (1d20+1)[18]

Spoiler: Guard #9
    Show

Moving to H15 & Attacking Jakkin
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[6]

Spoiler: Guard #7
    Show

Moving to L14 and Open the door back out into the hallway.

Battle Map

Show

Guard #10 - DEAD
    T-Dog #1 - 11 Damage (IN PIT)
    T-Dog #2 - 34 Damage
    Guard #2 - 7 Damage (IN PIT)
    Lt. Rastin - 55 Damage (At -13)

Silas - 3 Damage
    Aliani - 3 Damage
    Blackjack - 13 Damage

Door to Arbiter's Office - 7 Damage

Create Pit - 1/5 Rounds Duration

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani gave barely a glance to the manifestation of Milani's might, swinging away at the dog. That would do for the moment. He had, unfortunately, a new arrival, one that might understand his pleas.

"There's still time, you don't have to do this. Mistakes can be forgiven."

Of course, it doesn't really help to do that while swinging a big ball of metal at someone's head.

Show

Attack guard: (1d20+4)[8], damage (1d8)[3]
    Spiritual weapon attacks dog at V10: (1d20+6)[11], damage (1d8+1)[8]