New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo IC - Season Two

Jakkin

Seamus waves you off as you insist that you are not an adventurer, a tinkle in his eye as he declares.

“Well, we are all on the adventure called life, are we not?”

This was a running joke between you two, as he often teased you about going out on adventures, even when you were just going on a short voyage to Palin’s Cove to unload and pick up cargo for some merchant. Seamus is one to talk though – he was an actual adventurer for about a year before nearly getting eaten by a pack of ghouls convinced him that was not the life for him, and he should take up tailoring instead. The tailor/shopkeep raises his eyebrows as you mentioned knowing his latest gorgeous adventurer patron.

“You . . . know her? Really? Ha, if you had asked me I would have said she was much too good for an old seadog like you, Jakkin! But I suppose that’s your famous charm working its magic – still too leggy for me personally, but I’d wager you’d be the envy of every man in Korvosa!”

Seamus had revealed his own preference for gnomes, of all things, after the one and only drinking night he had gone out on with you. So it was not faint praise that he was offering here – unfortunately, those notable looks could also attract the wrong sort of attention in the shadows as well. Seamus mulls over your questions for a moment, not answering as he sifts through his memories rather than trying to hold anything back.

“Come to think of it, she did buy a dagger as well. Didn’t need the scabbard though, as she already had an empty one . . . I’m thinking your “friend” might already be in a spot of trouble if she “misplaced” her first pigsticker. Afraid that you’ll not be able to pick her out of a crowd on account of my clothes though – I don’t have the fanciest clothing here, and she picked out a simple tunic and pair of pantaloons to replace her frilly dress. Oh, and she bought a dark grey cloak to replace her sodden one. She left the dress behind though – figured I’d try to patch it up and I dunno, kept it in the back in case she ever came back?”

So saying, Seamus went into the back of his small shop and returned with “Elli’s” abandoned dress, which was indeed still quite damp, and had a long, jagged tear down most the length of the skirt – a tear ringed with what appeared to be bloodstains. There were several other smaller rents in the fabric as well, which look like some sort of tooth marks. Seamus was going to have his work cut out for him trying to repair all of this damage, but you’d seen him work miracles before so perhaps he could pull it off. The major concern right now was finding the girl, who indeed must have run into some sort of trouble between the torn-up dress and missing dagger. Seamus adds more cause for concern with his next revelation, delivered after he sways on his feet for a moment, and reaches a hand up to rub at his temples.

“Ah, sorry Jakkin. Got dizzy there for a minute. I just remembered something else. While we were having tea, she asked if I had heard about any dens of criminals from the other adventurers that stop by. I didn’t want to tell her, figured she had already gotten into enough of a scrap for one day, but well . . . she was *very* persuasive! Unfortunately, the only real “den” of criminals that I know about is in Eel’s End. And you know who runs Eel’s End.”

Everyone knows who runs Eel’s End - Devargo Bravarsi, the so-called King of Spiders, who ran everything from drugs to gambling to prostitution out of his ship-bound lair at the end of the docks, the ancient scuttled dreadnaught Eel’s End.

“I think I may have given the young girl very bad directions to follow, Jakkin. Probably should have led with that, but well, she asked me not to tell anyone about our conversation, and she was very persuasive! Not sure why that seemed so reasonable a request five minutes ago . . .”

Seamus trails off, lost in thought as he replays the conversation in his head, then shrugs.

“Afraid that’s all I have to offer you.”

(OOC: You can move on to the next section as well, since I imagine Jakkin will be joining the others at this point.)

Everyone

Meeting up at the Fishery, the group shares what information they have gathered thus far. From what everyone has collected, it seems clear that Handmaiden Elliana came here to the Fishery, fell through the floor, damaging her dress and injuring herself on the jagged timbers before falling into the water below. She was then attacked by something, likely a Jigsaw shark, but managed to fight it off or otherwise get away from it at the cost of her dagger. She then healed up and went to Seamus’s shop where she got a change of clothes, a new dagger, and directions to Eel’s End. But where was Ileosa in all of this?

There was a way of getting an answer to that question, and after getting recommendations on the exact wording to use in his message, Aliani unfurled the scroll of Sending and began attempting to activate it. Which he had some trouble doing, between stumbling over some of the unfamiliar magical wording of the magic and the fact that the Shelynites had decided to “beautify” the scroll by adding in flowery script that was hard to read and blended in with some of the sketches of flowers and birds doodled around the margins. But he manages to activate the scroll finally, and as the words on the paper burst into arcane flame and melt away to leave only an empty page with doodles around the edges, he speaks out his message to Queen Ileosa.

Sabrina concerned, insists immediate return for preventing Seneschal Andaisin. Requests party rendezvous forthwith. Can provide assistance. Provide location and status? If endangered, details of threat?

There is a long pause as Aliani awaits to hear a message back from the queen. A pause which stretches out into seconds, and then minutes, until finally he is forced to conclude that wherever she is, Queen Ileosa Arabasti has either chosen not to respond or is unable to do so. Which leaves the only real lead as Handmaiden Elliana, who seems to have gone into Eel’s End as her next stop in this ill-fated hunt for Gaedren Lamm.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nothing. NOTHING. Either she can't reply for some reason such as we're too late and she's dead, or I've gone and pissed her right off somehow."

Aliani sat, shoulders slumped.

"Either way, that was a waste of an obscene amount of money, wasn't it?"

"But, I mean, Elliana has some quite useful healing powers, and if they got out of the river she should be -- wait, Mister Dimir, were there two sets of footprints or just one?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ominous. But let us not jump to conclusions, not yet" Dalen furrows his brow, "one cannot know ahead of time what avenues will bear fruit, and which will not. If this endeavor is successful as a whole, the scroll is simply part of our overall supplies cost. It's only a waste if we fail. I Now then, if Eel's End is our best lead then that's where we should be headed,"

He turns to Gavin, purposefully interrupting Aliani's question, "if you don't mind, could I hold on to that cloth from earlier. I may have a use for it... later,"
    Last edited by Darvin; 2020-07-06 at 02:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Gavin tossed the bloody cloth to Dalen, muttering under his breath as he started getting his bearings.

Bloody Eel's End, with the drug dens and the spiders and that pretentious little..."

Once Gavin had established the direction of their destination, he realized Aliani had asked him a further question. "What? No, one set of footprints. Sabrina didn't say she had gone out with her handmaiden, so I had assumed the Queen was travelling on her own. No doubt Her Majesty has access to magical artifacts which could provide healing. Or maybe she has a bit more personal power than she's let on. From the little study I've made on the subject, I understand rulers are often trained in assorted magical arts, just enough to help protect themselves if the worst should happen."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not particularly fond of visiting such a den of infamy either, but at this point Eel's End is our only recourse. It matters not whether the tracks we're following are queen or handmaiden, as either way this is our best avenue of investigation," Dalen then quickly adds about the healing, "I'd also be unsurprised if the queen or Elliana were carrying a small apothecary worth of potions on their person,"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Jakkin shakes his head. He'd shared everything he had learned from Seamus – including the odd way he had behaved with regards to providing that last little bit of information regarding Eel's End, whatever that was all about – and it appears they're at a dead end for leads...except for one.

"Unless we're gonna abandon this one lead and start searching for the Queen afresh, we're going after the handmaiden," he points out. "Sure, they weren't together here, but surely the Elf lass knows where her mistress is, aye?" The petite pugilist spreads his hands.

"Not only that, but the girl will likely need some help, running around alone in there," he adds. "We go haul her pert arse out of the fire, and she tells us where to find the Queen. Simple," he says dryly, knowing it will be anything but; but it's the best lead they have, for now.

7. - Top - End - #157

Silas juggled the crumpled note in his pocket he'd received earlier that day. Lamm meeting with Underworld leaders to recruit. Tonight. Beneath Kendall Ampitheatre. Going to attack Devargo this evening to stop him from arguing against Lamm. Having done his usual greetings and facetious courting with whomever he saw fit, Silas spent a great deal of time weighing the possibility that his daughter was playing both sides. Could she have been coerced? He was uncertain of her intentions, but her moves to inform her undeserving father of Lamm warmed his soul. Still, he couldn't tell everyone of the amphitheatre meeting just yet. Perhaps the effects of the eye lingered, but Silas was afraid. Once for what strong enemies could arise from such a meeting, and again for what might happen to the people around him if they were to be discovered prematurely. He didn't wish to see himself nor his companions cut into chum or black blooded. It was this fear that left the otherwise ostentatious outsider catatonic as, irrespective of him, scrolls were used up and investigations proceeded. Rather, he joined the dialogue only when he heard that Elliana - and, in all likelihood, the Queen with her - had set course for Devargo's territory: Eel's End.

"Balls."

Starting with that.

"If our queen is wanting to deal with Lamm, assuming she and her handmaiden are able to navigate the Spider's web, they'll be headed... they'll be in even greater danger. We must intercept them at Eel's End. Mustn't delay, aye?"

At his hesitation, he glanced between a few of the people with him. There was the distinct glint of a lie in his eyes. A bastard's omission!

Silas clasped at himself to ensure he had enough equipment to say with confidence he was prepared for most any nonsense Devargo might throw at everyone. He was most assuredly not prepared, and he knew it, but that didn't stop him from putting on airs by sticking out a bluff chest and twirling his whiskers while motioning everyone to scheme as they walk. This was not to be the scary part.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, when all signs point the same direction, it will be hard not to follow them" Aliani said quietly, before something in Silas's remarks triggered a memory (were they even memories?) in his mind.

"Spider's web! Right! We should make a quick stop on the way, pick up some insect repellent. My treat.

And, uh, does anyone have a crossbow I can borrow? If it gets ugly, as things seem to do these days, it might be useful."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

After a brief stop at Aliani's insistence to procure several (3) doses of vermin repellent and a light crossbow with a 10-bolt quarrel, the party continues on to Eel's End.

Located at the south-eastern tip of Old Korvosa's portion of the docks, the infamous den of Devargo Barvasi is relatively isolated but quite easy to find.

In the waning light of evening, most of the docks is deserted save for a few fishermen repairing their gear and lit only by a scattered few ships' running lights and the moonlight.

By contrast, the Eel's End portion of the docks is brightly lit by paper lanterns that several men in clothing patterned with brightly-colored spiderwebs are just finishing up with lighting for the evening, and a sizable crowd is milling about.

Clustered around the end of the docks are five ships with diverse construction and origins - a small Chelish merchant vessel that has seen better days, a Tien junk, a barge of indeterminate origin, a small Andoran yacht, and finally at the end of the pier and easily double the size of any other vessel here, the long-ago decommissioned Korvosan dreadnought Eel’s End.

The rundown merchant vessel is relatively dark with few people walking about on deck, but the other three smaller vessels are quite crowded and noisy. The sound of rolling dice, shouts of victory and defeat, and the calls of card dealers to “place yer bets!” echo loudly from the Tien junk. Thin tendrils of smoke waft up from the interior and deck of the barge, and a gnome can be seen moving about on, pushing a wheeled hooka while shouting “Git smoked!” at seemingly anyone nearby. The yacht is more sparsely populated the those two, but half a dozen young women in silk robes call down at the crowd and beckon demurely to passing visitors to this den of debauchery.

At the end of the pier is the Eel’s End, which is also deserted save for half a dozen men in armor – two down on the pier by the gangplank leading up onto the deck of the ancient warship, and four more lounge about on the deck. With a bit of time and effort, the group can also see another half dozen men in similar armor and gear – clubs mostly – circling about the pier keeping a wary eye on the crowds. It does not look like anyone is allowed to wander about on Devargo’s pride and joy, an abject example provided a moment later when the doors to the large aft cabin burst open, two of the guards on deck nearby grab the man who comes stumbling out, and they swiftly frog march him over to the side before pitching him overboard, laughing as the man flounders and curses in the surf before sullenly climbing his way back onto the pier.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen sighs and withdraws the invitation from his pocket. It was a matter he'd put aside earlier given the imminent importance of Sabrina's request, but it seemed one way or another he was walking through that door tonight. He turned to the others and flashed the card, "I'm going in, and I'll try to get as many of you as my entourage as possible. If any of you would prefer to remain outside and relay to Sabrina if we don't return then do so, but I'm going in,"

He walks towards the front entrance, flashing the invitation and speaking plainly, "we are expected,"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani gave Dalen a puzzled glance.

"Come here often, do you? I hope you know what you're doing..."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

"I always know what I'm doing," Dalen lied.

13. - Top - End - #163

Silas elbowed the space above Jakkin.

"What kind of sandwiches do you think they have on the yacht? Gavin'd enjoy the meaty ones, no?"

Chuckling to himself, he followed along with Dalen.

"If we are to be separated, I'll wait outside. If those two come after your entrance... might as well give them a warm warning, aye?"
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

14. - Top - End - #164

PirateGuy

Ignoring things that went on above his head, Jakkin said his piece.

"Definitely best if we avoid getting split up in this sort of cesspool," he observed. "If we can’t avoid it, best we not leave anyone alone."

As for himself, he remains small, quiet, and unobtrusive, generally keeping the larger members of their party between himself and the doormen. He’s found the larger races are prone to overlooking him at the best of times; when he’s trying to keep out of sight, it works even better.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Stealth to not draw attention: 20

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

The party follows Dalen as the wizard slowly cuts his way through the crowd, clearly having some sort of plan in mind for getting you all in to see Devargo.
    As the mage reaches the gangplank leading up onto the dreadnought, the two guards waiting there sneer a silent greeting at him, but before they can tell him to "piss off" or similar Dalen produces a small card - blank on one side save for some small writing on it, but the other side was decorated with a spider wearing a crown.
    The two guards seem to immediately recognize the card's meaning, as they both abruptly stand up at attention and look at each other.

"Right this way, gentlemen."

One of the guards mumbles, leading the way up the gangplank while the other one maintains his vigil.
    Having just clambered his way back up onto the docks, the sodden thug who had just gotten thrown out of Devargo's confidence leers at the group as you file on up onto the old dreadnought's deck.

"Hmph. Good luck, flies. You're headed into the spider's den now."

The thug draws a finger across his throat and laughs (or chokes on some lingering river water, perhaps more accurately), starring envious daggers at the group's collective back.

From their positions around the deck, the four guards keeping watch eye the approaching group with interest, two looking up from their dice game to follow your progress across the deck while one lifts his head up from his hammock, careful not to make any sudden movements, while the last one seems to pay you no mind at all . . . quite possibly because he appears to be sleeping while pretending to be on watch, slumped up against the upper railing.

Your guide leads you back to the aft castle of the ancient warship, where a large door leads into the back of the ship - probably what would be the officer quarters or mess hall when the warship was an actual seafaring vessel.
    A fresh layer of cobwebs around the top of the doorframe causes your guide to make a disgusted face as he pulls at the door, causing the webbing to emit a quiet but wet ripping sound before the strands finally part.
    He pauses to glare up at the fist-sized spider just barely visible in a crack above the doorframe before he pushes it the rest of the way open and steps inside, beckoning you to follow him.

For the lair of a crime lord, Devargo's lair turns out to be surprisingly well-lit, with what must be a half-dozen everburning torches set up around the perimeter of the chamber inside the aft castle - most of which are coated in a thick layer of webbing that sparkles and shines from the back-lighting of flame rather than burning away. Thick cobwebs coat most of the walls and corners of the space within, but the space within the center of the room is conspicuously clear of any such debris. Several couches seem to mark the outer boundaries of this space closest to the door, the back of each decorated with only a few stray strands. Further into the room, a pair of large circular drinking tables have been set up, although only one is currently in use, four men standing around the table shouting out bids while two others wrestle on top of the table, one of their arms lashed to the opposite arm of their opponent, both struggling to scoop up coins with their free hand from the surface of the table to deposit into an open pouch hanging from their waist faster than the other one. As you enter, one of the men attempts to reach for a dagger embedded in the surface of the table, only for the other man to take advantage by bodily picking up his off-balance opponent and slamming him into the table head-first. Apparently there's not many rules to this game, as the man proceeds to follow this up by stomping on the back of the man's head until he goes limp, to a cacophony of disappointed curses and victorious cheers from the four onlookers. Meanwhile, at the very back of the room, seated on a high-backed wooden chair re-carved to resemble a throne sits a flinty-eyed man watching the proceedings with bored disinterest while another fist-sized spider skitters up and down his arm. An arm which he raises up into the air when he sees all of you, the spider tumbling down to his shoulder before skittering back into the darkness and webs behind the throne.

In response, your guide takes the card from Dalen and extends it out towards Devargo like a shiled.

"Begging your pardon, sir, but these gents had one of your cards. Said you was expecting them."

Devargo's annoyed flinty-eyes flick over to examine Dalen up and down, and he slowly lowers his arm with a grunt.

"Ah, the twiddlefingers and his friends. Gave it less than even odds that you'd show - tck. Well, you're here now, so come on in! Plenty of room here for you all to sit down . . . although I didn't expect you to have so many friends."

Devargo's eyes flick over to Gavin, and a slight frown crosses the man's face, causing all of his toadies in the room to briefly freeze before relaxing as he speaks a course greeting.

"Didn't expect you had friends in the Order, either. I've paid my vice taxes, Hellknight. You can't touch me. But . . . I suppose if you're here, then you're interested in seeing Gaedren Lamm gone too. I guess you can stay too."

Devargo now turned his attention to your guide, who he waved dismissively at, prompting a nod from the man before he hurriedly fled the room and closed the door again, leaving you alone with Devargo and his six sycophants.

"So, I'll get straight to the point. Word on the street is that none of you care for Gaedren Lamm. I can't stand the man myself, which is why I'm planning a very messy and public funeral for him, very soon. If that's something that also interests you, we can talk about the details. But if it's not, then you can kindly leave here and stay out of my way when I make my move . . . if you know what's good for you."

Spoiler: Devargo Barvasi
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

As Silas remarks to staying outside to watch, Dalen nods and casts a message spell, "we'll keep in touch as we are able," then stride's towards the spider's lair. As he walks through the den of infamy he keeps his eyes peeled for Elliana.

"Fair odds," Dalen agrees that the odds of them showing up were not particularly high though he is careful not to even hint at the circumstances that lead them here tonight, then continues, "I suspect you're aware of my existing clientele, and in this particular matter your interests are aligned with theirs. I would much rather collaborate than have our operations inadvertently disrupt each other," he turns around and gestures to his companions, "and that's precisely why I have so many associates with me tonight. These are some of the individuals working directly with me on this project,"

17. - Top - End - #167

Silas latched onto the spell as it came to him.

"How long was it again? Ten minutes? Be swift if you can. If I disappear, assume your shop first."

While the group entered Devargo's headquarters, Silas made his way along the street into an open area. One where visibility was present for both himself and anyone worth seeing. This had a secondary benefit of possibly catching a glimpse of Vjala - even if he wouldn't know it. Occasionally, he would hand out a business card to a passerby, but only if they seemed wealthy in both cash and kinks.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

PiccadillyPi

While the others go into the spider's den, you stay outside to keep an eye on the rest of Devargo's men . . . and you suppose be safe enough to scurry off and fetch Sabrina if Devargo proves more aggressive and better prepared for intruders than expected. Unfortunately, keeping an eye out for clientele was not going to be very possible here for two reasons - one, most of the passerby here and ascending up onto the pleasure yacht were not among Korvosa's wealthy. Those clients took advantage of private individuals such as yourself, or the Callistra's flock, while the people here were just looking for a quick bedding for a handful of silver. Two, one of the guards must have caught sight of you offering one of your cards to one of the very few people who might meet your standards, and you were told in no uncertain terms that freelancers were not welcome here, and you could either go talk to Madame Halvara if you were looking for work, knock it off, or get escorted off the premises. You opt for none of the above, but are a good deal more discrete about offering your services while you continue to wait for the others to get done with their little chat.

One curious thing does catch your eye, though . . . out on the Jeggare River. While there were a few boats still out on the river willing to risk the dangers of night fishing, this was a small three-person rowboat, and as far as you could tell it had no lines out into the water. Being about a hundred feet out from where the Eel's End was moored (permanently, apparently, as it had underwater scaffolding to keep it afloat these days), you couldn't make out much, but there was definitely people moving about on that rowboat. And they didn't seem to be moving off, either, instead just sitting out there in the river. Vjala's written warning comes to mind then - could this be part of Lamm's attack on Devargo? But what were they doing there so far out from the Eel's End? There wasn't much that they could do that far away from Devargo's home . . . could they?

Everyone Else

Devargo smirks as his eyes flick over each member of the group before returning to matching Dalen's gaze.

"Quite the motley crew you have there. I'm sure you're quite confident in your chances of squashing Lamm, but he's as tough as a cockroach, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't share that confidence. I can provide you with an opportunity to take your shot, but it has to be tonight and we've only got the one shot before Lamm goes to ground again. Convince me that your crew is the one that I should be granting this opportunity to."

Devargo then leans back in his throne and simply watches the group, clearly waiting to see what all of you will do in reply to his open challenge.

Spoiler: Aliani
    Show

Perhaps it's just your lingering unease from past visits to this place - you seem to recall in another life (or was that two lives ago now?) that Devargo rattled off your home address with the unspoken threat that you had better provide for him, or you would be getting a very unpleasant wake-up call some night - but you were having a hard time getting a good read on Devargo.

It occurs to you, though, that perhaps there's just not very much to read, either. The man was dead on the inside, comfortable in his life here in this little rotten kingdom, but too hardened by his experiences to be able to enjoy it. But no doubt he didn't want to lose his comfortable life, either, and would dispose of any threat to that life - like Lamm. He would certainly lose no sleep in killing any or all of you, and his only interest in any of you at all was because you had a mutual enemy in Gaedren Lamm. On the other hand, unless and until he felt threatened by you, he probably wouldn't have any interest in killing any of you either. So, provided you didn't threaten him, you would probably be able to get out of here with an intact skin. The only question was how could you motivate him to give you what you wanted without pushing him, and when he already seemed to have everything he wanted aside from Lamm?

Spoiler: Jakkin
    Show

You've been keep a discrete eye out for any traps or possible hidden sources of death in Devargo's throne room, but aside from Devargo and his wanna-be lackies in the room you don't see any immediate dangers. Well . . . aside from that patch of floor just in front of Devargo's throne that looks a little too swept clean of cobwebs and debris. You're pretty sure there's a trap door there, probably activated from some concealed switch on Devargo's throne so he could dump any unwanted visitors down into the ship's hold below. What sort of deathtrap was down there waiting, however, you couldn't tell, not with the trap door currently closed.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Gavin grit his teeth at the mention of the vice tax, working very hard to keep from drawing his sword.

If it were not for the Queen, this would be a colossal waste of our time.

This was Dalen's show, and Gavin trusted the wizard to get them to the point where they could find out if the Queen was, in fact, here. But by the Hells, Drevago rubbed him the wrong way. Almost more than Gaedren Lamm, Drevago was everything that was wrong with Korvosa - the easy going, polite, almost kind sort of evil that dug its roots in and made itself useful. As if that excused its presence.

Gavin glanced over at Dalen. "Should we tell him about the centipede?"
    No news is good news.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani took in Devargo's words, putting his hand ostentatiously to his chin in an obvious mockery of deep thought. When he spoke, it was in earnest. Extreme earnest. Excessive earnest.

"It has to be tonight, you say, or the opportunity's lost forever? And unless I'm mistaken the sun was just setting over the horizon when we came in? Hey, everyone, do you recall seeing a long line of less-motley groups standing outside lining up in application for this exciting opportunity? My eyes aren't what they used to be. But I could have sworn I saw no such thing."

He turned to Devargo, and all the over-earnestness was lost from his voice, replaced by dead seriousness, the kind that said 'knock off the bull****'.

"Mr. Barvasi: you should grant us this opportunity, as you put it, because you don't have anybody else. And you need someone else, and you know it, because if your men could handle this themselves discreetly, you wouldn't be desperate enough to be reaching out to outside forces that aren't under your control."

"If you want to know the truth, I think you're a smart businessman who's a little bit scared of what Lamm might do to put an end to this nice comfortable operation you have going here, and you with it. And I think you should be, because we both know he's well financed, well equipped, and gathering allies by the day." He gave Gavin a sideways nod of his head. "No need, Dalen, I'm sure the man will find out about the ten foot long fire breathing centipede soon enough. Centipedes eat spiders, don't they?"

He couldn't actually remember whether that last bit was true, or whether it was the other way 'round, but it sounded good at the time.

"The good news for you, is you're right about one thing: every one of us really wants him out of the picture. So, let's cut to the quick, shall we: where, and when, and what resources can you bring to bear against it? And, dare I ask, what's in it for us? We can go try to kill him on our own schedule, without your help, you know."

All the while, an odd little song his mother sang him ran through the back of his mind...

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly

I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider;
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
    How absurd to swallow a bird!

She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;

(The song went for several more verses, until she swallowed a horse, he remembered that much.)

So, were they about to swallow a spider to catch a fly? And if so, what next?

21. - Top - End - #171

Silas squinted against the waves off the dock. Unsure of what to make of the dingy a hundred or so feet out, he made it a point to look for unusual activity or lack thereof for the few shadows he witnessed move about it. While he himself was dressed rather flamboyantly, he hoped he could bluff away his interest in the watercraft. If it was indeed his daughter on that boat, Silas had no intention of getting in her way for fear that Gaedren (or whomever she answered to) might hold her accountable for her presumed failure.

The dandy, rather than immediately call to his allies, waited an appropriate time of suspicious stillness from the vessel - and only if he could not dismiss it as ingenuous inactivity. If such an alert were warranted, he would simply warn them to quickly quit quietly without question or queerness.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen quickly checks his pocketwatch for effect, letting his compatriots finish speaking before he responds, "Devargo, I'm not here to play games. If you've other men for the job who you believe better suited, then by all means use them. I won't be personally offended, and will pursue this matter through other means. I've another associate I hope to be meeting shortly, a lovely half-elf woman who is quite determined to bring down Lamm," he alludes to Elliana.

Show

Diplomacy check (1d20+19)[27]

Dalen's not bluffing about walking. If he walks out of here with an opportunity for a clean shot on Lamm that's a bonus, but his primary purpose for coming here is to fish for any clues about Elliana's whereabouts.

Here's hoping that if Devargo knows anything about Elliana that he lets on about it.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

PiccadillyPi

Starring intently out at the small rowboat, you idly wish that your inherited ability to see in the dark extended out that far, as it would presumably make picking out details much simpler even at this long distance, but then if your wishes were being granted right now there was a whole list of other things ahead of that in line. You are able to make out a few long thin shapes at the back of the boat which appear to be fishing rods, although neither of the two figures you can make out on the rowboat seem to be minding them at all. Rather they seem to be dumping something into the water, judging by the faint shimmer of a splash alongside the boat. Perhaps it's just a trick of the moonlight, but you could swear that a few moments later there is a glow under the surface of the dark water and a swirling pattern forming in the water immediately around the boat. Then it's gone, replaced a moment later by a faint wake, left by something moving just beneath the surface of the water. You can't make out what is causing it, but you can definitely see its passing, and it's definitely coming ashore, directly in a line towards the Eel's End.

Everyone Else

Devargo snorts and raises an incredulous eyebrow at the fire-breathing centipede claim, but when Aliani speaks plainly at him the crime lord cracks a smile and spreads his hands.

"Well, you certainly tell it like it is, don't you kiddo?"

Devargo gives a brief self-deprecating chuckle, which is mirrored by his sycophants for a moment before his laughter stops and his gaze shifts over from Aliani to them.

"But you're right. I did have a group I hired to bust up one of Lamm's drug operations on behalf of the people of Korvosa, but ah, apparently they all got slaughtered earlier today, save for a couple of 'em that found their way into the hands of the Guard. Seems you also might know something about that, given the comments about the centipede - that's something new I did not know. So alright, guess I need to rely on you all to get the job done. I know that tonight is your only shot at Lamm, however, because he's gone to ground and nobody seems to know where he's holed up. I can only assume if you knew *that*, then you wouldn't be here talking to me unless you were here to ask for a reward. And I wouldn't offer you one because private bounties offered by the citizenry against other members of the citizenry is illegal, right Mr. Hellknight? But I digress - the point is, I know where Lamm is going to be, tonight."

Devargo pauses here for a moment, clearly savoring the delay as he watches everyone expectantly. He clearly enjoys being an information broker and being able to hold onto information that the other party wants from him, but he doesn't let the pause linger overly long - a seeming admission that he's not completely confident who holds the power in this dynamic. It's at this point that Dalen applies some more light pressure to the conversation in the hopes of getting Devargo to finally spit out the exact where that he keeps alluding to, but when he brings up the queen's handmaiden, even so obliquely, Devargo's face darkens.

"This wouldn't happen to be a dark haired elven bint, pretty face, none too bright, who calls herself "Elliana", would it?"

Devargo muses, and then gives a rather nasty chuckle that is again mirrored by his toadies present.

"I'm afraid that you won't be meeting her today, and maybe not tomorrow, either. Y'see, she needs to learn some manners when in front of her betters. Came in here asking about Lamm uninvited, made a bunch of promises about payment without having the gold up front to back those promises up, and when I told her to get lost she tried to cast a spell on me."

Devargo's face gets darker still, and all of his toadies go very silent and very still as the crime lord continues.

"If there's one thing in this world that I hate more than anything else, it's a twiddlefingers who thinks they can just hand wave their way through any argument. I get Acadamae brats coming in here all the time, thinking they can skip out on payment for services rendered because they know a bit of magic. And for all of them, I refer them to *my* associates who tend to be really good at explaining the reality of their situation to them."

Devargo nods up at the spider now perched on the top of his throne, a good six inches over his head, and the spider obediently hisses and waves its forelegs menacingly.

"But how about this. You take care of Lamm, and I will make sure that *your* associate finds her way back to you in perfect health, and perhaps a little wiser and more respectful for the experience. How does that sound, Master Rittle?"

24. - Top - End - #174

At the sight of such strange machinations, Silas strode swiftly and spoke softly into the wind. He could only hope Dalen would hear.

"Leave quickly. Ambush coming from the Jeggare."
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2020-07-16 at 07:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani's face remained as impassive as he could make it during the revelation. There was a similar concept in one of those farcical capers he'd read a few years back, everyone falling over themselves in order to get to the prize at the end... would it make sense to mention that a couple of Devargo's men were only alive because of their efforts? Probably not; they were likely just pawns on a chessboard to him, to be sacrificed on the way to the king... aha.

"Well, see, that's a big problem. Associate of ours, yes. Aforementioned date, also yes. She's a bit of an individualist, but, if we're to have a proper chance at defeating Lamm, we'll need her along. She's an essential part of the plan. So it'd have to be the other way around, you give her to us, we go take care of Lamm together, and we'll make very sure impress upon her the importance of never, ever, darkening your door again. That'd be a fair deal, right? I mean, you can torture a random twiddlefingers any day of the week, but like you said, it's tonight or never for Lamm, and we're going to need all the firepower we can get to make our best effort... bints included."

"Isn't that right, Master Rittle?"

Show
    Not sure what Dalen's plan will be, but either a Diplomacy roll from me, or using this to aid another if he's going to try something suitably diplomatic, would make sense.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

As Devargo speaks Dalen maintains a straight face. Dalen maintains a straight face through Devargo's story about Elliana, finding it wholly believable and in character for her. If he twitches at all, it's from Silas message. He sighs in exasperation when Devargo says that she attempted to cast a spell on him and shakes his head, whispering under his breath, "she's here," while providing the barest of mental focus to allow the whisper to carry to Silas.

"Yes, I understand your position. Rest assured, I share your irritation with such flagrantly incompetent use of magic," Dalen pauses to let Aliani speak, then sees his opportunity and turns back to Devargo, "suppose we were to leave collateral, then? If we succeed it's all the same to you, and if we fail you'll have been compensated. I'm sure this is the kind of finger twiddling you approve of, yes?" Dalen rubs his fingers together as if there were a coin between them.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

PiccadillyPi

You send out your warning, and get back a soft whisper in your ear from Dalen "She's here."
    An instant later, and pandemonium breaks out as there is an eruption of water from the side of Devargo's dreadnought facing out into the Jeggare, and then ship begins to list as Devargo's men on the deck stumble and drag themselves up onto their feet as there is a series of smaller eruptions from all around the ship. The crowd on the docks watches this with curiosity for a moment, and then starts to scream and panic as Devargo's scuttled warship clearly begins to sink!

Everyone Else

Devargo is silent for a moment, clearly considering the offer, but nods with a slight frown.

"You're right I'd rather have Lamm dead than another lesson doled out to an Acadamae brat. Fine, I'll go have a word with my pets, and see if I can return your friend to you. Might need a bit of anti-venom to get her back on her feet again though - my pets tend to be efficient at disabling prey. You'll all want to stand back for this next part."

Devargo waits half a beat for everyone to take a big step backward, and then taps the right armest of his throne. A soft click is heard an instant before a sizable portion of the floor in front of Devargo's throne swings down into darkness, a massive trapdoor that is clearly designed to dump unwelcome visitors down into the depths of the ship's cargo hold below. Reaching under his throne, Devargo pulls out a rope ladder, dropping it down into the hole and then climbing down out of sight. His voice can be softly heard below as well as another hissing, clicking voice, but for most this is just barely audible noise, drowned out by Silas's sudden urgent whisper that an attack on Devargo's boat was imminent.

An instant after that warning, the ship lists hard to port, nearly sending several people stumbling off their feet, as a massive impact jolts the ship from some of her moorings. Additional jarring impacts follow, and the deck begins to buckle and shift under everyone's feet as what is no doubt Devargo's worst fears are realized - the underwater scaffolding around the Eel's End is starting to break, causing the warship to sink. The dreadnought is probably big enough, and the Jeggare shallow enough along the edges, that it won't sink under the water completely, but the lower decks of the ship will certainly be flooded and rendered unusable.

A few moments later and Devargo rapidly hauls himself back up the rope, a look of mild panic on his face.

"We're under attack! Prepare to abandon ship, lads!"

He announces, which prompts the toadies to start stumbling their way back out to the double doors. For his part Devargo turns away and starts stumbling his way over to the door in the nearby wall, presumably to either a side room or a set of stairs leading to the crew quarters below decks.

"Your friend's down there in the hold! Good luck getting her out before it fills with water though! I've got some packing to do!"

And it seems, just like that, you're being left to rescue Elliana from the spider-infested hold, while the entire ship slowly sinks to the bottom of the river.

(Because this is essentially a timed exercise - get down into the hold and get Elliana out before it becomes flooded and you all drown, with potentially hostile spiders down there as well, we are now basically in combat initiative. Given we do group initiative this should have little effect on posting order, but it is something to keep in mind that you will probably able be able to move and do one thing with each round of posting. You can all easily reach the open trap door into the hold and drop down this round as basically a full-round action: move up to the edge of the trapdoor, standard action to swing down/use Devargo's rope ladder if you wish, or stay upstairs and cast buff spells/Light spells (it's pitch black down in the hold). Will post a Battle Map for the hold once someone is down there with a Light and can actually see what there is to see.)

Spoiler: Jakkin
    Show

Your sharp ears, despite the overlay of Silas's voice warning of an impending attack, are able to make out what is actually being said by Devargo and this mysterious stranger - apparently named "Chittersnap" with a throat condition. You are unable to see down into the hold, in part due to your angle relative to the trapdoor, and largely due to the fact that it's pitch black down there save for the tiny bit of light around Devargo's rope ladder, which just reveals a musty, web-filled cargo hold.

Devargo - "Oi, Chittersnap! Need to let the girl go - her friends are here and they want her back.

Chittersnap - "*click snap* NO! SMELL NICE! MINE NOW!"

Devargo - "Oh for the love of - I'll get you a new one, okay! Someone that smells just as nice. We don't have time for this argument, they're right upstairs and I've got the sneaking suspicion that if I go back up and tell them "no", then they're going to come down here and take her by force! We need to do tis!"

Chittersnap - "*click snap* LET THEM TRY!"

At this point, the ship lists heavily, and the argument is interrupted by the sound of a loud hard impact and timbers breaking.

Devargo - "What the devil was that!?"

Followed immediately by another hard impact and the sound of more timbers breaking, along with a wet crack! this time, and the sound of water pouring in as the ship lists more heavily.

Devargo - "Damnit! Sod this!"

28. - Top - End - #178

PirateGuy

Jakkin swore; because of what his sharp ears had picked up from below, and from the clear signs that the ship was going under.

"She’s down there, and not alone; they don’t like bad smells," he snapped out rapidly to the others as he retrieve his cooly flaming sphere and sent it spinning about his head.

Darting forward he simply stepped off the edge of the trapdoor, trusting to his skills in taking a fall to see him through this. Of course, if the drop is farther than he was estimating this would hurt regardless.

Landing with a thud, he didn’t waste any time. "Chittersnap! This room is filling with water; flee, or you will drown!" he exclaimed urgently.

Show
    Move action, draw and start Ioun Torch spinning. Move action, move to trapdoor and step off. Acrobatics to reduce effects of fall by 10’, DC 15: 29

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as Gavin had recovered his footing, he was moving for the open trap door, drawing his rapier in anticipation of what was below. "If she's incapacitated, we'll need some help getting her up and out. At least one person needs to stay topside."

The Hellknight grabbed hold of the rope ladder as Jakkin dropped down, swinging under the deck into the darkness below. This is ridiculous. I am literally performing feats of derring do aboard a sinking ship to rescue the handmaiden of a queen. Like some copper dreadful swashbuckling hero. Gavin landed with a small splash, letting go of the ladder as he scanned the darkness. "Alright, anyone who is down here, make your way to the ladder if you can, the ship is under attack and sinking. We will make sure you get to safety, please do not panic."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Gavin moves to trap door, drawing rapier as part of his move action, and swings down with his standard. He then makes a Diplomacy check on anyone/thing down here that understands Common and is awake - the last thing we need is panicked fighting.

Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[14]
    No news is good news.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen strides briskly towards the hold behind those rushing ahead; he turns to Aliani and withdraws a scroll of Enlarge Person, "not to discount them, but halfling stature may make it difficult to bring her up quickly. We need someone with much greater height to lift her up. Climb down into the hold, and I'll cast the spell on you,"

Show

Only casting with Aliani's consent. Spell can be dismissed. Once we have Elliana lifted safely to surface level Dalen will dismiss the spell to allow Aliani to climb back out.