New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo IC - Season Two

Aliani's eyes widened as the dog woofed, and a moment later his hand went to his ear, trying in vain to get the loud reverberations out of it. Any brief joy that may have been on his face quickly evaporated, and his eyes darted about in an effort to compensate for the sudden loss of one of his senses. He took a backhanded swat at the beast before taking a step away out of self-preservation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] includes flanking, (1d8)[6] damage to doggie
    5 foot step north along the wall to I think that's V10?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler: STAT BLOCK
    Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 13 (5pt nonlethal) | AC: 20 (25) | TOUCH: 16 (21) | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 (17) | FCMD: 11
    INITIATIVE: +7 (+9) | PERCEPTION: +11 | FORTITUDE: +4 | REFLEX: +11 (+13) (Evasion) | WILL: +2
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Frost (unarmed attack), Cautious Fighter (7/10), Cat’s Grace (6/30)
    CONDITIONS: None.

Jakkin is quick to follow, closing the gap between himself and the arbalester despite the heavy bolt protruding from his shoulder.

"Backed yourself inta a corner now, haven’t you lad?" He bares his teeth and kicks out, hoping the much larger man is focused on his hands after their last exchange. From the look of things the hostages have almost cleared the room; hopefully, this will make moping things up that much easier.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    5’ step to B17
    Standard Action: Attack Arbalest 1, fighting defensively: (1d20+7)[20] Punch Damage: (1d4+7)[10] Cold Damage: (1d6)[5]

3. - Top - End - #483

Silas' strike was off-set by the dog's incredible bark. Stepping back alongside Aliani, he needed a moment to think.

Show
    Rolled a 2 for attack against the dog. 5-ft step to S11.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

As Silas steps back, Dalen takes aim and lets a globule of acid fly at the exposed foe.

Show

Acid Splash at Guard #4
    Attack: (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3]

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

While the fight in the backroom is just as noisy as it was before, quite a few combatants are unable to hear it now thanks to that damn Shudder dog, which still remains on its feet despite another solid thump from Aliani.
    As both Aliani and Silas fall back, Dalen sends out a bolt of acid that strikes the guard dead center in the chest, eliciting a grunt of pain before the guard surges forward to continue the attack against Silas.
    WIth clear practice, another of the guard sweeps around to strike the tiefling from behind, dodging a swipe from Aliani with ease.
    The playwright has his own problems as the dog attempts to retaliate with a bite to the nethers, while the third guard steps forward and slashes at him.

Spoiler: Thunder Dog #1
    Show

5' Step to U11
    Bite Aliani
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]

Spoiler: Guards
    Show

5' STep to V11
    Slash at Aliani
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]

Move: Move to R12
    Standard: Ready to attack Silas, triggered by getting flanking
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4]

Move: Move to T10, triggering #4's readied attack, and provoking an AoO from Aliani (which misses)
    Standard: Attack Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4]

Out in the hallway, the guard continues to recede into the distance, while another step of hurried footsteps begins to ring off the stone, although they don't sound like armored boots this time . . . (Spoiler - it's the fleeing clerks).

In the courtroom, Jakkin follows up his punch with a second blow to the same spot, and this time the patch of frost expands into a section of ice that engulfs the man's entire thigh. Which shatters a moment later, leaving the man to topple forward, cracking his head open on the side of the cage as he falls, and crumples to the ground a bloody, brain-splattered heap, quite dead.

Blackjack retreats back to his rapier, reloading his crossbow and firing off another shot at the approaching wedge of guards who return fire at him.

"Looks like we've just got a bit more clean-up to do!"

Spoiler: Blackjack
    Show

Move back to K16, where he left his rapier
    Free Action: Reload
    Standard Action: Fire at Guard #12
    To-Hit: (1d20+12)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[3]
    Holy: (2d6)[6]

Spoiler: Guards
    Show

#11, #12, & #13 at Blackjack
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

To-Hit: (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage: (1d8)[3]

To-Hit: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]

Battle Map

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Guard #10 - DEAD
    T-Dog #1 - 37 Damage
    T-Dog #2 - 37 Damage (At -7)
    Guard #1 - 22 Damage (At -9)
    Guard #2 - 16 Damage, Deafened
    Guard #4 - 12 Damage, Deafened
    Guard #5 - 1 Damage
    Guard #6 - 1 Damage, Deafened
    Guard #3 - 5 Damage
    Guard #8 - DEAD
    Guard #9 - 1 Damage
    Guard #12 - 9 Damage
    Lt. Rastin - DEAD
    Baldrago - DEAD
    Arbalester #1 - DEAD
    Arbalester #2 - 23 Damage (At -4)

Aliani - 1 Damage, Deafened for 1 minute
    Silas - 1 Damage
    Dalen - 10 Damage
    Jakkin - 13 Damage
    Blackjack - 13 Damage
    Clerk 3 - 3 Damage

Door to Arbiter's Office - 7 Damage
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-06-14 at 08:13 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

6. - Top - End - #486

Silas, having not the patience to tame the beast, he struck at it without mercy.

Show
    Spoiler: STATS
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 35/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 20, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will -1, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Masterwork Sword Cane +8 (1d6+3, x2)
    Sick AF Falchion, +1 Cold Iron +8 (2d4+5, 18-20/x2)
    Chakram (3) +7 (1d8+3, x2)
    Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, +3 Dex, +4 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 14
    Condition None

Chakram Melee: -1 atk, DC 15 Ref = 1/2 dice dmg to self

5ft step to T11. Attack T-dog, rolling 19 to-hit after flanking. 10 damage if it hits.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani let out a yelp -- one, he noted with discontent, he couldn't even hear, though he felt it and that was quite enough -- as the dog withdrew from its bite with a strip of cloth hanging from its maw. He noticed it was becoming a bit, well, breezier than he'd hope to experience. Fortunately the sleeves did their thing, and nobody would be any the wiser, but ... yikes. He prepared for a counterstrike when Silas maneuvered in and did the necessary thing, to his own great relief. He adjusted his aim and took a wild swipe at the guard standing next to him, before withdrawing yet again.

Show
    (1d20+4)[18] (no flanking) attack guard at V11, damage (1d8)[1]
    5' step to V9

8. - Top - End - #488

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 13 (5pt nonlethal) | AC: 20 (21) | TOUCH: 16 (17) | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 (17) | FCMD: 11
    INITIATIVE: +7 (+9) | PERCEPTION: +11 | FORTITUDE: +4 | REFLEX: +11 (+13) (Evasion) | WILL: +2
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Frost (unarmed attack), Cautious Fighter (8/10), Cat’s Grace (7/30)

Eyeing the remaining three crossbowmen, Jakkin judges that if he takes the fight to them they’ll get a couple more shots off at him before he has a chance to close the distance and lay a beating on them.

Instead, he ducks behind the low wall running across the courtroom and vanishes as only one of his kind can, moving silently into position and readying to unleash pain on the first of the fools to run across his place of concealment.

Show
    Move action: move to to E18, using cover from half wall for Stealth: (1d20+20)[29]
    Standard Action: Ready an attack vs any enemy that comes within melee range: (1d20+11)[24] Punch Damage: (1d4+7)[11] Cold Damage: (1d6)[3]

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

As Silas steps away, Dalen looses another globule of acid at the same guard.

Show

Acid Splash against Guard #4
    Attack: (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d3+3)[4]

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Silas delivers an overhead chop to the back of the dog which nearly cuts it in half, and at last the Shudder-infused freak of nature collapses in a black-blooded heap. This seems to finally break the morale of the three remaining guards, who beat a hasty retreat back through the doorway into the hallway after their fellows. The last guard who had already agreed to cooperate watches them flee and then turns to Aliani.

"Now then. I believe there was a discussion of letting me go so I can get out of the city with my family and providing me with some gold to ensure I can afford to make the necessary arrangements. In return I tell you what I know of Lamm's plans here."

The man grimaces and sighs.

"Which I must admit is not much. I know he's here to break some criminals out of the Vault - we're just here to secure Longacre and hold off any response from the city guard for as long as we can. Which seems to not be very long at all, as it turns out."

Outside, Dalen notices a large shadow pass by overhead, a moment before two large hippogriffs land on the roof of Longacre above him, the Sable Marines leaning down out of their saddles to point hand crossbows on him while gripping the reins. A third Sable Marine lands his hippogriff down in the small alley 10' away from Dalen, and the proximity allows him to instantly recognize the man as Corporal Sabin Wright, the marine that they fished out of the river. The same one who had been found dead the next morning, yet here he was now. He dismounts and retrieves a set of manacles from a saddlebag.

"Get down on the ground with your hands on your head, scumbag!"

He yells at Dalen, evidentially believing Dalen to be breaking into Longacre.

In the courtroom, the three guards are clearly wavering in their bravery after the carnage that you and Blackjack have wrought, but one of the guards throws down his thus-far useless crossbow and draws his sword.

"Come on lads, we don't have any choice! Yaaaah!"

His charge forward is cut abruptly short when he reaches the railing as before he can jump over, Jakkin pops up, snags the man by the collar, yanks him forward and over the railing to slam him unceremoniously to the floor, and then drive a fist directly into the man's face, knocking him out cold (literally). That seems to convince the last two guards to abandon the fight, and they turn and flee. They don't even make it to the double doors leading back out to the lobby before those doors boom open and half a dozen Sable Marines, Marcus Endrin at their head, come charging in to level crossbows at the last two men. Not complete idiots, those two men immediately surrender and are quickly subdued and manacled by the rank-and-file Sable Marines while their Commander comes forward to join you and Blackjack who has flipped his rapier up into his hands and is cleaning it with a bit of cloth, his handcrossbow back out of sight beneath his cloak.

"Should have known I'd find you in the middle of this mess, Blackjack. Ah . . . and the queen's investigator! Quite the unexpected duo."

"Marcus. I would say your presence is equally unexpected."

At this the Sable Commander gives a slight smile and taps the side of his nose.

"Yes, well ordinarily we do not operate within Korvosa except in emergency situations. Field Marshall Kroft and I agreed that Lamm's little rebellion constituted enough of an emergency to rally two squadrons of Sable Marines to serve as a rapid reaction force in case of something a bit more unexpected than a bank robbery. I'd say attempting to seize Longacre and take Chief Arbiter Zenderholm hostage counts as unexpected."

"And do you consider the notorious vigilante Blackjack an unexpected bonus in that?"

Blackjack asks, tensing, only for Marcus Endrin to shrug and wave his hand.

"What notorious vigilante? You were never here. It may be best for you to return to the shadows, however, lest you still be here when the Field Marshall finally arrives with reinforcements. I understand she was quite determined to see you in Longacre at one point, but I suspect this was not what she meant!"

"Hmph. Indeed."

The conversation is interrupted at this point by the sound of the arbiter's door opening, revealing Chief Arbiter Zenderholm and two assistants behind her.

"Ah, Chief Arbiter! You appear to still be in good health, that is a relief."

"Marcus."

Zenobia Zenderholm replies tersely, her gaze shifting from the Commander to Blackjack and then to Jakkin, before her gaze drifts down to the battered and chipped face of her office door.

"I can see that I will need to have my office door replaced. Who do I have to thank for limiting the damage these cretins caused to just a bit of wood?"

"Don't look at me, I just got here!"

Marcus replied.

"And I was never here."

Blackjack grunted, leaving the Chief Arbiter's gaze to travel back to Jakkin, which she offered a slight nod to.

"You have the gratitude of Korvosa's Chief Arbiter Zenobia Zenderholm, Mister . . . Jakkin, wasn't it? One of the queen's investigators? . . . Where is the rest of your party?"
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-06-22 at 05:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani gestured to the man to stop, as a sudden ringing in his ear intensified and then faded. "Ah, that's... okay, yes, better I think. Now, you were saying?"

As the man repeated himself, the bard nodded and smiled, partly at the chance he'd been offered, partly at the fact that he could hear again. "Yes, and if you're worried, I meant every word. We'll help you get them out, too, if you want, get some food. Just tell me what you need, we'll figure out a way to make it happen." He cast a wary eye at the outside and the 'help' that was arriving, and lowered his voice. "For now, um, just play along.. Serge, wasn't it? You're wearing a guard uniform, act like one."

From well inside the door and out of immediate eyeshot, he quickly pulled his sleeves off and back on again, and adorned himself in a rather torn-looking guard uniform. He shouted out to the 'reinforcements', "You guys are way late, as usual! We have this under control in here already, thanks to these two citizens -- bastard Lamm snuck some imposters in on us, he's planning a big ruckus down below I think. There's more in the front hall though, if you want to make yourselves useful for a change."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen sighs as he turns around; based on what the guard said inside they didn't have much time to stop Lamm's operation here - if they weren't already too late. He raises his hands and mumbles a word of dismissal under his breath. His disguise evaporates. He hopes that Sabin recognizes him.

"Corporal Wright, you're looking much better than you did when last I saw you," Dalen speaks, genuinely surprised to see the man alive. He then nods to the other marines pointing crossbows at him, "Dalen Rittle, purveyor of arcane services, specifically in the queen's service. We haven't much time for niceties; the vault may already be breached, and my associates have only just broken the vanguard Lamm's operatives left behind,"

Whispering under his breath and letting his message spell carry it to the other, "the Sable Marines are here,", unaware that Jakkin was already face to face with more of them on the other side.

Dalen's head practically whips around when Aliani speaks, carrying a tersely whispered message just for him, "stop trying to provoke a fight with the gods-damned reinforcements,"

13. - Top - End - #493

"Wright? Right!"

Silas didn't waste any time sprinting down the hall toward Jakkin, his blade still out and covered in black blood.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

14. - Top - End - #494

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 13 (5pt nonlethal) | AC: 20 (21) | TOUCH: 16 (17) | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 (17) | FCMD: 11
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Cat’s Grace (10/30)

With the surrender of the remaining corrupt guardsmen at the arrival of the Marine detachment, it’s clear things are settled in the courtroom for now. Jakkin dispels the icy magic from his hands and feet, leaving them chilled but none the worse for wear.

He’s pleased that it doesn’t seem to be going to come down to an altercation between Blackjack and the Sables; that’s one that he’d sit out, not willing to raise his fists against either side. The Arbiter’s door opened to disgorge the woman and her assistants, and Jakkin takes a moment to murmur a reply of ’Here as well,’ to Dalen before approaching the judge as she addresses him.

"They caused a bit of a ruckus at the back door, drawing off some of the goons in here," he informs her. "Leaving me to, apparently by meself," he eyes Blackjack wryly, "to drop in through the skylight and defeat all of the crooks while freeing the hostages in the process."

His heavily bearded face splits into a wide grin.

"Fortunate indeed that I’m just that mighty," he says dryly. "Little time t’waste, though; this has all be a plot by that bastard Lamm, and he’s down at the Vault looking to break out the worst you’ve got. I aim to stop that," he says grimly, and with a curt nod he rushes off to find his way down.

He knows not what has happened with his companions, other than Dalen at least has survived and doesn’t seem too upset about any of the others, so all must be well enough. With a hope that his healing-inclined friend will catch up soon, he continues on his way bloodied but undaunted.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Aliani sees the glitter of calculation in the guardsman's eyes, before he quietly spits out a number.

"Twenty-five gold will ensure my family and I can book passage out of the city and start a new life elsewhere safely."

Predictably, the Sable Marines bristle at Aliani's provocation, with one of the marines up on the roof snarling back down, "We're not even supposed to be here, let alone doing the Guard's damn job!"

As usual, Dalen manages to defuse the situation, this time by revealing himself to Sabin who nods with a grim scowl.

"Aye, I remember you. Your work pulling me out of the river would have been wasted if not for the Commander's generosity. He's securing the front so it seems like now would be a good time to meet up in the middle before anyone else holed up elsewhere in Longacre gets wise to our presence here."

Sabin whispers something to his mount before dismounting, and the beast seems to understand his command as it flies up to join the others while their riders swing down from the roof to flank Dalen before following him inside. Silas meanwhile, has already taken off for the courtroom, and crashes through the door a moment after Jakkin has finished explaining what he knew of Lamm's plans. The tiefling is greeted by several raised crossbows, but they are quickly lowered at a gesture from Commander Endrin.

"Ah, and there's the second of Her Majesty's investigators. Everything alright at the back entrance, I presume?"

Endrin turns his attention to his subordinates for a moment.

"Escort the Chief Arbiter to safety and then link up with Corporal Wright and secure the rest of the building. I will be with the queen's investigators checking on the Deathshead Vaults."

The Sable Marine Commandant orders, and then turns his attention to Jakkin.

"That is, if you don't mind me tagging along. You seem to have the Queen's confidence, and Kroft has spoken quite highly of you in our talks. I'd like the opportunity to make my own personal assessment."

Endrin glances at Blackjack.

"While I imagine finding yourself in the Vaults is the last place you'd like, I presume Jakkin's shadow will also be tagging along?"

Blackjack merely grunts an affirmative, earning a slight smile and nod from the Sable Marine Commander.

"Excellent. Shall we be off then?"

At that moment, Chief Arbiter Zenderholm stiffens, as if receiving a private communication, and curses softly under her breath. At the same time, very faintly, the sound of ringing bells can be heard off to the west, muffled by the presence of several thick doors in between its origin point and the courtroom. Endrin clearly recognizes their meaning as he turns to Zenderholm.

"How many cell blocks?"

"All of them."

Comes the terse reply, and then it's Endrin turn to softly curse.

"Well then . . . this will indeed by an interesting trip."

Endrin notes, and then turns to explain to Jakkin and Silas.

"The cell blocks are rigged with Alarm spells to alert the guard post upstairs and the Chief Arbiters if any prisoners break out of their cells and into the interconnected cell blocks. Apparently, the prison break has just gotten into full swing as there are at least some prisoners loose in each cell block. Ordinarily in the case of a full-spread prison riot like this, we would lock down the entry stairwell and wait until the full force of Korvosa's guard could be mobilized to crush the rioters. But unless Lamm is planning to make his final stand down there, I imagine he has some sort of plan to escape, and if we're going to stop him we'll no doubt need to cut our way through some of Korvosa's most dangerous and deranged criminals. I certainly would not fault you for electing to wait for Kroft to arrive with further reinforcements -"

"I'm not waiting for Lamm to slip the noose he's just stuck his head in. I'm going down there before this gets any more out of hand."

Blackjack grunts, earning a non-committal shrug from Endrin.

"It seems your shadow is going forward with or without you, Jakkin. What is the decision of you and your compatriots?"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

"By all means; we'll meet with your commander presently," Dalen gives a courteous nod then strides after Silas. He leaves Aliani to conclude the business with the twice-turncoat.

Upon arriving in the center of the building and being informed of the situation, Dalen does not hesitate, "my magic is at your disposal. We do know that Lamm has access to tunneling monsters and a wizard who is powerful enough to cast short-ranged teleportation spells, so I am certain he has an escape plan. That is, presuming Lamm himself is even leading this operation. He's used decoys freely in the past,"

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

"You got that right" was Aliani's under-his-breath retort to the marine on the roof, as he did a bit of calculation on his own before giving the man a nod.

"Right, well, I think we can do a little better for your family than that now can't we?" he said quietly to the man, fishing out a handful of coins totaling 40 gold pieces. "Get more food than you think you need. Blankets too." He reached to hand the man the money, then paused. "One condition though. When this is all over, and things are settled down, you bring them back here. We can use all the help we can get." He didn't really wait for an answer, dropping the coins into palm and pulling the man in for a brotherly hug and a whispered "Please, take this fresh chance for what it is."

He waited for anything else the man might have to say, before straggling after the others in the other room. He rolled his eyes a bit at Dalen's offering, but nodded in agreement at the mention of tunnels and monsters. "That's quite right... it would probably do well to get someone ready down in those derro tunnels that run right under the place. He can't have expected this to be more than a time-wasting distraction."

18. - Top - End - #498

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    "Ah, and there's the second of Her Majesty's investigators. Everything alright at the back entrance, I presume?"
    Upon being questioned, Silas turned to his tail and back again. With a gesture of fingers and click of his tongue he signaled that the back entrance was of primo quality.

The tiefling walked briskly to join hips and shoulders with Jakkin as Endrin explained the situation. It was of course too optimistic to believe that they had prevented a breakout with their blundering. Silas did not hesitate to step in toe with Jakkin's shadow - as Jakkin's shadow's... shadow.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

19. - Top - End - #499

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Cat’s Grace (13/30)

Jakkin snorts.

"Well, if we keep makin’ a practice of killing his decoys, he’ll have a sight of a harder time finding those willin’ to do it," he points out.

The wee man is tired, bruised, bloodied from a pair of fairly overt crossbow-inflicted injuries, and has already done a fair share of beating on larger folk this day. He is far from in his best shape to be descending into a full-blown prison riot, and the sensible thing would be to regroup and let someone else take the lead.

"But enough jabber; none of it is keeping anyone from making an escape," he grumps, and without waiting any longer sets out for the lower cells. Time was fleeting, and it was more than time to go and put a stop to this.

With luck, once and for all, this time.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani noted the thin trail of blood coming from the halfling with alarm. Feigning a cough to turn away from the assembled marines, he brought his hand to his collar and let a silent prayer out.

Show
    (2d6)[8] channel energy, I think there may be two or three bad guys laying around but they're getting excluded because I can.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Marcus grimaces as Dalen explains the resources available to Lamm to make an escape.

"There are a few spots in the Vaults that are set up to block teleportation to contain dangerous users of magic, but it proved too expensive to ward the entirety of it. I believe that there are limits to how many people such magic can transport at the same time? That’ll probably give Lamm a means to escape unfortunately, but hopefully not many of his confederates. We’ve also made attempts to block tunneling into the Vaults, but I know there have been long-standing stories about prisoners vanishing, only to be found dead in their cell days or weeks later. Perhaps there is some truth to those stories of monsters in the walls after all. Either way, our only option if we wish to stop Lamm from his goals is to proceed boldly. No doubt this prison riot is yet another obstacle he has placed in our path.”

Drawing a pair of matching scimitars from their scabbards at his belt, Marcus nods his head towards a door at the back of the courtroom.

“Let us proceed to the entrance – carefully, in the event that he has set up another surprise for anyone descending down into the Vaults.”

The back door of the courtroom leads into a narrow deserted hallway which in turn leads to a heavy door with heavy iron bars that are currently slid into the “open” position. Endrin moves up to the door, motioning the rest of the group to stay back before he quickly yanks the door open and braces himself. His concern is unnecessary, as the guard post beyond is likewise deserted. Frowning, Marcus goes over to the narrow 5’ wide stairwell that is set in the floor near the middle of the room, which ends in another heavy iron-barred door, this one hanging partially ajar still. Shouldering it fully open, Marcus peers down into the gloom beyond for a moment before nodding and waving everyone forward again.

Beyond this second iron-barred door is the rest of the flight of stairs, descending down perhaps 30’ into the earth before descending down into a large 50’ x 50’ room lined in stone. This now seems to be the Deathshead Vault proper, as a heavy door made of iron bars is set into each wall and labeled with a faded bronze plaque stating “Cell Block A”, “Cell Block B”, etc. up to “Cell Block D”. All four of these heavy iron doors are currently hanging open, meaning it could only be a matter of time before the rioting prisoners reach this point and surge up into Longacre. The room is decently well-lit by several torches set into the walls around the room, burning silently and smokeless without seeming to require replacement (Continual Flame torches).

Scattered about the room are five bodies, guards who were taken unawares by betrayal given several are still seated slumped around a table in one corner of the room, and none of them have their weapons drawn. A brief check by Aliani reveals that in truth there are only four corpses present, as one of the guards lying in the middle of the room seems to have somehow staunched his bleeding wound by falling on top of it, and thus instead of having bled out he is stabilized by unconscious (i.e. Guard #5 is at -5 but stable, and can be healed if people wish to have more back-up, but otherwise will survive even without help. Guards 1-4 are bled out and quite dead.)

Marcus checks the guards at the table, shaking his head and scowling after each one in turn is confirmed to be dead, when Blackjack holds up a hand for silence.

“Do you hear that?”

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show

Although there is a bit of an echo, you can make out from the south and western doors the rhythmic clang of a heavy iron cell door being slammed shut repeatedly, accompanied by screams of pain, raucous laughter, and a feminine voice shouting out “Stop it, stop it!”

“Jakkin, come with me for a moment. The rest of you stay here while we check this out.”

Blackjack growls, and although Marcus scowls at being given orders by the vigilante nonetheless resumes his checking of the guardsmen, followed by respectfully closing their eyes and lying them out on the floor side-by-side.

A quick exploration beyond the entry room by Blackjack and Jakkin reveals that there is in fact something going on in the southwestern corner of the complex. Although they have to peek around the corners and then move carefully from open cell to open cell to avoid detection by the crossbow-armed thugs on lookout at the entry of the side room marked “Infirmary”, they both manage to get close enough to have a peek at the medical room itself.

There are slightly more than a dozen people milling about inside the infirmary, two men clothed in little more than burlap sacks dragging an unconscious guard into the infirmary while several more such men armed with crossbows keep watch just inside the infirmary door. Beyond, there is a “waiting area” cell similar to the courtroom above, which has several beaten and shackled guards lying within. At the doorway to this cell, two more thugs hold a guard down, hand outstretched in the doorway while they slam the cell door shut. A few feet away from this, a group of people watch this scene play out – two more thugs holding a young blond-haired woman in black and grey robes with her hands manacled behind her, while a man in a suit of leather armor holds a dagger and some sort of metal holy symbol up in front of the woman’s face.

“Now, you’re gonna heal this pig up so we can keep teaching him some manners, Princess, or you’re gonna be next. But don’t worry, we won’t ugly you up too much just yet.”

Spoiler: Religion DC 10
    Show

The symbol is that of Pharasma.

While this is going on, another thug is stripping a dead guard of their armor in one corner of the room, and several more thugs seem to be searching through the contents of the actual infirmary – one of them in frustration calls out of the small side room – “Where’s all the good drugs at, bitch!? You hide ‘em all under your skirt!?”

“Maybe we should strip search her!”

One of the others immediately suggests, prompting another round of raucous laughter.

At this point, Blackjack discretely motions to Jakkin to fall back, and the two return to the rest of the group to report on the situation.

“Lamm was not among them, I take it? He must be in one of the other cell blocks. Perhaps D? That is where the worst of this lot are kept . . .”

Marcus suggests, prompting a growl of frustration from Blackjack.

“They’ve at least got the girl, and several guards as hostages in the Infirmary. I’m going in there to save who I can, before things go any further. Lamm will have to wait.”

“Of course we’re going to save the hostages, but I think the two of us can handle a dozen of Korvosa’s low-life scum by ourselves. If the rest of you wish to continue pursuing Lamm, you may go check out Cell Block D as I suggested. Splitting up to cover more ground may be our only way to reach Lamm in time. But it’s up to you.”

Marcus offers, his frown deepening as the Sable Commandant is clearly insulted by Blackjack’s insinuation that Marcus was suggesting to abandon the hostages to their fate.

Show

Okay, we’re back to combat, assuming you want to help Marcus & Blackjack with this hostage situation rather than pressing onward without them. You may choose a starting square anywhere that is outside the Infirmary, and take a standard action as a surprise round in addition to your first round of actions(given all of the thugs are mostly pre-occupied). Anywhere outlined in green can be started in without any difficulty, but anywhere marked in red requires a DC 12 Stealth check to reach without being seen – if you are seen, you lose your stated surprise round action, but your first round set of actions go off without a hitch as usual).

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Arrows go off the map to the rest of the Cell Blocks and other portions of the Prison.
    Area marked with a green line you can freely select to start in without any difficulty.
    Area marked with a red line requires making a DC 12 Stealth check else you are seen by the thugs on lookout, which will negate your surprise round action.

Battle Map
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-07-25 at 01:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 21 | AC: 20 | TOUCH: 16 | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 | FCMD: 11
    INITIATIVE: +7 | PERCEPTION: +11 | FORTITUDE: +4 | REFLEX: +11 (Evasion) | WILL: +2
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Icy Fists & Feet, Deflect Arrows (1/10)

"Lamm will get his," Jakkin growls, and darts off down the opposite hall from Blackjack.

It is, sadly, almost child’s play to stealthily approach the pair of thugs in the hallway. Their dragging of the unconscious guard masks any chance of their hearing the almost imperceptible fall of his frost-coated feet, their large size equally masking his presence from the other thugs further down.

Gliding into position, the Halfling lashes out with savage ferocity at first one guard, then the other, before either has a chance to react, and readies himself to come under attack from more crossbows.

Something he’s come to respect, given his recent encounter with such weapons.

Show
    Stealthily move into position at J21.
    Surprise round: Attack Thug 1 = 14. Damage: 9+5+6 = 20
    Standard Action: Attack Thug 2 = 25. Damage: 9+2+9 = 20
    Move Action: Martial Flexibility (Deflect Arrows)

23. - Top - End - #503

Silas exhaled as the plan described allowed for his company to skip a level. This was quickly followed by a shallow groan as Jakkin flew into the hallway opposite the stairs to block D. The dandy tiger only allowed himself a second to curl his finger from Alliani to the hallway Blackjack occupied before joining the half-pint pug. His confidence waivered as he moved to join Jakkin, his steps almost too heavy, but by luck and light steps he made his way to the entrance of the room brimming with thuggery.

Stepping into the room, he opened his entrance with a a readied chakram. It flew toward the ill-prepared man in front of him, just beyond a comfortable distance.

"Hello there!"

His casual tone echoed through the room as the circular blade struck. Without much space for ceremony nor greetings, his now freed hand gripped his loose sword to aid in swinging it toward the thug beside him. A shallow blow from experience, but his strength and the magic within the blade made its wound all the more severe.

With introductions out of the way, he stepped back into the hallway to protect himself from a variety of angles in which to be shot.

Show
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 36/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 20, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will -1, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Condition None

Start: J24

Surprise round: 5-ft step between thugs. Throw chakram at Mic "the Knife" Jorgens. Rolled an 11. If it hit: 6 slashing damage
    Standard round: attack Thug 3. Rolled 15. On hit: 8 magical slashing damage. 5-ft step back to J24.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani's face curled into a sour scowl as Marcus made his little speech. So you knew about that too, huh?

"This one's alive" he noted, pointing at the guard with the blood clotting itself against the floor. "If we get back this way." He took a moment to grab and load a crossbow from among the debris of the previous combat, along with a few extra bolts.

He set off behind Blackjack, which he'd intended to do regardless, but it was good to know Silas had the same idea. He raised the crossbow to show his newfound weapon. "I'll try to provide some cover for you" he whispered. "I thank you for your service to the people of Korvosa, by the by. Your presence gives hope when hope is needed." He settled in to a safe spot just out of sight, preparing for the rush of adrenaline that was about to follow.

Hearing the distant din of swords and fists raining down upon the foe, he charged out from behind the corner and let loose a bolt at the nearest guard, grabbing at another bolt to jam it into place.

Show
    Start safely at W28
    Surprise: Move to S31
    Standard: try to put a round in Thug 8 (hit AC 22, 7 damage, rolled in discord)
    Move: reload

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen stands cautiously near the center of the group, keeping his eyes peeled. A part of him wishes he brought his familiar with him for an extra acuity their link afforded - and the extra pair of eyes to watch his back - but the lower levels of the vaults were no place for a small bird. He keeps his hands folded behind his back and readies himself for whatever may come, but when Aliani mentions that one of the soldiers is alive he quickly strides to his side.

Blackjack's alert catches Dalen's attention, and his ears pick up the faint sound from beyond. Neither hostages nor brutish reprisal were unexpected given the circumstances. He nods as Blackjack runs off; better to have the stealthier members of the group scout ahead to appraise the situation, and avoid tipping off any ambushes. He speaks softly before the man bolts off, "assay the situation, and only provoke a fight if you can end it swiftly and avoid alerting others. The rest of us should stay together for safe...ty," Dalen trails off a cavalcade of boots runs down the hallway with all the discipline of a small child playing soldier. He sighs and shakes his head, while staying behind with Marcus' group.

Show
    Dalen isn't going to risk a botched stealth check here. He'll come to the rescue and drop a spell if you need it

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Jakkin creeps stealthily down the corridor, right up behind the two thugs dragging the unconscious guard towards the infirmary. The first indication that either one has that anything is wrong is Jakkin's fist slamming into the left side of one of their heads, slamming the man forward and throwing him headfirst into a nearby cell door. As the man slumps to the ground Jakkin turns and delivers a hard one-two combo punch to the other thief's solar plexus right as the man turns around to see what had just happened, leaving him likewise crumpling to the floor with nary more than a confused wheeze of surprise.

At the door, the two crossbow wielding thugs see this and start to cry out an alarm, but too late as Silas who has been uncertainly following on Jakkin's heels dashes past the felled thugs to take control of the doorway. The tiefling sends a chakrum spinning into the room to thud into the apparent leader's back, the ringed blade sticking into his armor but not quite penetrating (leather armor as described sadly means AC 12 while flatfooted. ). Silas follows this up with a hard slash to one of the thug's chests, turning his cry of alarm into one of pain. Both thugs guarding that doorway stagger back away with a curse, leveling their crossbow and firing them at Silas - one of which hits him dead-center in the chest, stopping only partially by his armor (Nat 20 crit threat . . . for 3 damage). As they both work to reload their weapons, one turns and finally shouts an alarm - "We got guards coming! We need some help here!" In response, one of the thugs torturing the guardsman steps forward between the two crossbow wielders at the north door to form a battle-line, pulling a club out of his rope belt and brandishing it threateningly. The other thug meanwhile, swiftly knocks the crippled guardsman out entirely with a swift blow from his club to the back of the guard's head.

Spoiler: North Thugs
    Show

#3 & #4
    5' Step Back to I26 and K26 respectively
    Shoot at Silas
    Move: Reload
    To-Hit: (1d20+2)[6]
    To-Hit: (1d20+2)[22]

Move: Move up to J26
    Standard: Ready an action to attack the first person to step into the room through the northern door

Full-Round Action: Non-lethal coup-de-grace on the guardsman, knocking him out cold.

Back at the entrance, Endrin looks at Dalen and shrugs after everyone else has run off.

"I suppose we should follow and make sure they don't get too deeply into trouble?"

So saying, he breaks into a run as he dashes after Jakkin and Silas. As he comes into sight of the carnage the two have already inflicted, he slows and shouts out a warning to the convicts still inside the Infirmary.

"Lay down your weapons and surrender, and you will not be harmed! There is nowhere else for you to go!"

Off to the east, Blackjack seems almost embarrassed at Aliani's rare offer of praise, although the vigilante is not so shaken as to pass up the opportunity to offer up his own opinions.

"A sad state of affairs then if Korvosa's people look to a vigilante for hope."

Blackjack whisper-grunts back in reply to Aliani's comment.

"But I do appreciate the support."

It's unclear if he was referring here to Aliani's praise, his offer of providing cover fire, or both, and as the sounds of battle erupt from the north door there is no time to talk further as both of them rush out into the open hallway. Aliani fires off a shot that takes one of the thugs guarding the doorway in the shoulder, causing him to stagger back with a surprised cry of pain. Blackjack simply rushes past Aliani, whispering "Nice shot" to him before dashing forward and diving through the open doorway, summersaulting in between the two surprised guards and pressing forward into the center of the room. As the convicts' self-selected leader reels from the sudden attack on his men, his attempt to reassert control over the situation, likely by threatening his hostages, is cut short by Blackjack tumbling back up onto his feet and stabbing his rapier not just into, but through the man's side. Mic collapses to the floor with a startled gurgle while the thugs curse and scream, clearly recognizing this attacker - "IT'S BLACKJACK!!!"

Spoiler: Blackjack
    Show

Surprise: Move forward with Aliani to Q30
    Move: Move forward to K31, taking advantage of the thugs still being flat-footed to move between them without AoOs (tumbling for flavor)
    Standard: Stab "The Knife" with his rapier, and thanks to d8s when attacking from surprise, drops him in one go with a 29 damage hit!

Most of the thugs at this point drop what they're doing to swarm the vigilante now in their midst, with one of the two guarding the door to turn and fire his crossbow at Blackjack while the one Aliani hit returns fire at him - that bolt only deflected by his previously summoned magical shield. One of the thugs holding the cleric girl also runs forward to join the melee, believing one man should be able to keep the young lady with her hands manacled behind her back under control with ease. This turns out to be a bad assumption when she turns and leans into the one man left holding her, and knees him in the groin. While he doubles over with a wheeze, she manages to twist herself free of his grip and stumbles backward, pressing herself up against the wall to awkwardly steady herself. Faced with either going after the shackled woman who had just broken free or the vigilante who had just murdered their boss, the thug ultimately chose to fight for his life instead and joined the assault on Blackjack. Despite having three men swinging away at him from all sides, Blackjack manages to evade and parry all of their blows - for now.

Spoiler: More Thugs
    Show

#7 at Aliani, #8 at Blackjack (before the other thugs get into melee with him)
    To-Hit: (1d20+2)[16]
    To-Hit: (1d20+2)[9]

#9, #10, #11
    #9 and #10 move into flanking, #11 moves up and attacks
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[19]
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[15]
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[20]

From the back room of the infirmary, a reedy-faced blond haired man steps out, followed by another club-armed thug. He shakes a vial of swirling chemicals up as he takes in the scene, and then downs it before asking, "Who the Hells is Blackjack?" Seeing the girl now running free, he jabs a finger at her and orders his thuggish associate - "Grab her! Don't let her get away!" The man obediently chases after the woman, prompting her to give a shriek of alarm before attempting to turn and stumble away as the man charges at her.

Spoiler: Zep and #12
    Show

Zep - Move to G33
    Standard: Consume mutagen, gaining +4 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom

Thug #12
    Double move to J34

From the hallway behind Aliani, he can hear suddenly angry shouts. Turning, he sees a group of a little more than another half dozen men have turned the corner further down the hallway, and upon seeing a fight breaking out in the Infirmary, and now rushing towards him, hooting and hollering. (Another group of enemies will be entering from the "To Cell Block B" portion of the map next round, and acting on the bad guy's turn in Round 3. They are in range of Aliani's crossbow now if he wishes to shoot at a random member of the crowd.)

Battle Map

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Mic - Dying (-1), 29 Damage
    Thug #3 - 8 Damage
    Thug #8 - 7 Damage

Silas - 3 Damage
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2021-08-07 at 04:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507

PirateGuy

Show
    Jakkin Longshanks
    HP: 26 | CURRENT: 21 | AC: 20 | TOUCH: 16 | FLAT: 15 | CMD: 16 | FCMD: 11
    INITIATIVE: +7 | PERCEPTION: +11 | FORTITUDE: +4 | REFLEX: +11 (Evasion) | WILL: +2
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: Icy Fists & Feet, Deflect Arrows (2/10)

Never one to let barnacles grow beneath his feet, Jakkin bolts forward to enter the room.

"Follow me, we’ll clean this rabble up quick," he says to Silas as he effortlessly slips past his companion in the doorway. Rolling and weaving, he ducks as the club comes at him before diving between the prisoner’s legs and coming up directly behind him.

And hesitates; once the line of men has a Silas in their face, they’ll be too busy to pay enough attention to the Halfling at their backs. Too bad for them.

Show
    Move Action: Tumble into position at J27, DC CMD+15: 38
    Standard Action: Delay until Silas moves; attack Thug 5: 22 Damage: 9+3+1 = 13

28. - Top - End - #508

Silas braced himself against the impact of the bolt. Were he without fur or scale, one might've seen a bead of sweat cross his temple. Four inches to the left. Four inches deeper. The other attacks he could have sworn were deflected and avoided by skill, but this one was mere luck that it did not penetrate his heart. As he pulled out the bolt from his armor, he saw his blood on the end. It gave him pause only long enough to see Jakkin enact a tactical acrobatic feat.

"Right!"

The tiefling reacted to his compatriot, dropping the bolt to grip his weapon as he guided it with fear and anger. While he intended to strike the same man as the halfling, the goon was gone with just one half-sized strike. Acting quickly, he reassessed his options, his sword still poised for maximum damage. The combination of distraction, pain, and some unfortunately powerful luck lead his blade between his latest victim's neck and collar, stopped only by the man's second rib and his spine. To remove his falchion, Silas leveraged his foot against the thug, thrusting him to the ground in a bloody mess. Red sprayed onto the slayer of men, his snarl and glare turning to another enemy alongside the thud of leather and flesh. A thug he had yet to assault was allowed one last sip of Silas' wine-coloured eyes before another wrathful strike would likely befall the nameless waste of flesh.

Show
    Show
    Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 33/36, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    Condition None

Move 5ft forward to attack thug 3 (flanking with Jakkin). Rolled 27 (nat 19) and 22 to confirm crit in discord. 19 damage.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2021-08-09 at 10:59 PM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thanks" was Aliani's murmur as he got a compliment from Blackjack -- Blackjack! --as the man whizzed past. "Nice, uh, maneuver" he said under his breath with a mix of admiration and revulsion as he watched a man basically disemboweled. That emotion was quickly overwhelmed by the nagging sound of footsteps and fear.

"Uh, more coming! Many more!"

There was no sense trying to fight that. Nor was there sense in running back. The only way was forward, somehow. Which meant doing something about these two with crossbows.

He launched a bolt at his former target, almost wincing as it found its mark. Forward, into the breach of the damned, as he advanced on the enemy while drawing his morningstar.

Show
    Standard: shoot the same guy he shot before. Hits, possible crit (confirms if AC15 hits), either 6 or 7 damage depending.
    Move: Move up while drawing morningstar; if that guy somehow dropped I'll advance on the other one, otherwise straight forward.
    Yes, I'm still holding the crossbow in the other hand, for now.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen wordlessly nods to Endrin and proceeds to follow at a brisk pace.

Show
    Double move to K13