New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo IC - Season Two

Quote Originally Posted by PiccadillyPi View Post
    "Jakkin has it - I'd bet anything on that. Dalen, save your spells for what is to come. Can you prepare on the way?"
    Dalen snaps his spellbook shut and stows it, sighs at the final request, "have you ever had to copy a document? Now imagine if each symbol must be transcribed in the correct order, and that order changes depending on the alignment of the stars which you need to mentally recalculate as you are in the process of transcribing, and just to make things a little more interesting there is a gremlin that will rip the page out from under you repeatedly and if you aren't careful you'll ruin your work when it does so. Could you do that 'on the way'? Because it would be much easier than preparing spells,"

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

Silas quipped.

"Have you yet asked the gremlin to not lash about?"

Anything to add lightness before darkness.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

3. - Top - End - #663

PirateGuy

Jakkin snorted at the quip, amused. He never much understood how anyone had the head for memorizing elaborate, complex procedures to trick the world into doing impossible things for them.

He was a simple man; he'd just punch things until they stopped being a problem.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's okay Dalen, I'm sure that whatever you've always had the foresight to prepare will be more than sufficient" Aliani chimed in, figuring that the wizard's ego might need a touch of stroking.

He called off after Kroft: "Be sure to get Miss Sabor out of there if you possibly can -- they're planning some very inappropriate things for her, if she's still alive, and probably if she isn't. And if you do get her, for god's sake don't take her back to the castle. Take her someplace actually safe."

That that jibe would rile up Sabrina that much more was ... well, it might be helpful to have her properly pissed off and in full grasp of tremendous anger needing to be unleashed.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PiccadillyPi View Post
    "Have you yet asked the gremlin to not lash about?"
    Dalen proceeds to hum a Korvosan folk-song popular among children, a notorious ear-worm, "now then, I've instilled just such a gremlin in your head. Go ahead, try to tell the beast to stop singing,"

6. - Top - End - #666

"Ah. Hm, well! Hm. Hm-hm-hmmm-hm... Blast! My last moments will be of this tune no doubt!"
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

7. - Top - End - #667
    Troll in the Playground

Sabrina frowns upon learning that Dalen does not have an immediate solution to the problem, but nods her consent and lets him get to work while beginning to pace back and forth in an aggravated fashion. Marcus nods his support as well, and uses this opportunity to urge support for his own point.

“Since we’re going to need to wait for Dalen anyway, it seems we now have time to go talk to the Pharasmans – I’d rather not have to try to explain our presence here to one of their patrols.”

Sabrina pauses momentarily to roll her eyes but as she opens her mouth to no doubt offer some sort of scathing commentary to this idea, she seems to think better of it and bites the retort back. Evidently even the queen’s bodyguard was hesitant to run afoul of the Church of Pharasma – or perhaps she’s simply imagining the yet further delay that being accosted by a band of Pharasma inquisitors would bring. Seeing a lack of disagreement from the queen’s bodyguard, Marcus turns and motions one of his Sable Marines to take back into the air and head for the Cathedral of Pharasma in the distance.

It's at this point that Aliani brings up the idea of the nearby Porpyphia crypt, followed by Jakkin’s observation that the masoleum’s doorstep seems unusually well kept for this run-down section of the Grey District. Marcus looks to the sky in exasperation and gives a muttered curse as Sabrina immediately marches up to the masoleum’s doors to examine it.

“I could probably smash through these in a minute or so – stand back!”

Sabrina commands as she raises a hand up to the hilt of her falchion, only for Marcus to shove past her and interpose himself in front of the crypt doors, arms outstretched to each side.

“Wait! While House Porpyphia was exiled from Korvosa, leaving this crypt unattended, it could –“

“If you’re going to whine about me bashing this door down “setting a bad precedent with the nobility” or “it’ll upset the Pharasmans”, then you can just save your breath and step aside – unless you want me to cut through you as well, Marcus.”

Marcus doesn’t blink, but rather closes his eyes and exhales loudly before stepping aside, gesturing at the door.

“I was going to say “it could still be trapped”. The noble houses take the security of their interred dead very seriously, to the extent that I know Bishop d’Bear has had to have several conversations with them about limiting the collateral damage caused by incompetent thieves attempting to breach the wards. But please, by all means, feel free to test the theory that House Porpyphia did not prepare for someone trying to circumvent their security by smashing the crypt doors down – just let rest of us all move far away first!”

Marcus and Sabrina glare at each other for a moment, and then Marcus gestures at the door again.

“Or, you can take a breath and wait a moment, while we examine the door to determine if there are still any traps left on the doors, and if there is a safe way to bypass them.”

Sabrina stares at the crypt doors for a long moment, and then steps back and releases the grip on the hilt of her weapon.

“Fine. Two minutes. Then I would suggest you start running if you’re still worried about some hypothetical trap that may or may not kill us all.”

Marcus nods, and turns back to the crypt doors, studying it thoughtfully.

“I don’t suppose any of you have any means to detect magical traps? I am far more concerned about those . . . although I suppose the theoretical trap that Bishop d’Bear told me about vetoing, which involved a trap door plunging everything within 50’ of the crypt door sixty feet down onto spikes, is a close second.”

(I believe Jakkin does have trapfinding still as an Unchained Rogue, so I believe he can detect magical traps. Detect Magic may also work, although I believe there are ways to conceal magical auras so that is not a sure-fire method. Anyway, going to assume Jakkin helps out at that invitation).

Sure enough, the Poryphia crypt was protected by a dizzying cluster of magical wards set to go off if the doors were opened without some sort of safeguard signal deactivating the wards first. Emphasis here, however, is on “was”, as each of the wards has been discretely but cleanly scratched through by some sort of tool, rendering them useless. That still doesn’t rule out some sort of mechanical device still in-play, but the deactivated magical traps and the fact that the doors were currently sitting unlocked was a clear sign to those who could see it that the Poryphia crypt was no longer secure.

As they were finishing up their examination of the doors, Sabrina seems to finish a silent countdown as she abruptly steps forward, grabs hold one of the crypt doors, and yanks it open. Half a dozen crossbows slide out of concealed holes around the doorframe, leveling emptied frames at Sabrina’s head. The queen’s bodyguard pauses dramatically a moment, regarding the empty crossbows with a smirk, before unsheathing her falchion and stepping through the doorway.

“Well, we’re all still here and alive, so it seems that was a waste of two minutes. Let’s not waste any more, shall we?”

The bodyguard steps forward and down into the darkness, descending the set of stone stairs revealed on the other side of the doorway. The gloom is illuminated a moment later after Sabrina whispers to her falchion, causing the magical runes running down the length of the blade to begin faintly glowing. Marcus watches the bodyguard disappear down into the tomb with yet another exasperated sigh, gesturing after her.

“Well, I suppose once more into the breach, as there’s no telling what else she’ll decide to smash through in the hopes of finding this mythical pathway down straight into the heart of the villain’s lair. I suppose it is still my duty to prevent her from doing anything foolish, and watch her back if Aliani’s hypothesis does somehow prove true. You are welcome to accompany me, of course.”

Marcus directs his attention back to the remaining Sable Marines.

“Set up a perimeter and wait for the arrival of Bishop d’Bear or her designated representatives. We will explain this breach in decorum after our return.”

The Sable Marines give a joint salute in response, and Marcus draws an ioun torch from a pouch on his belt, setting it to spin around his head before drawing both of his scimitars from his belt. He inclines the yawning portal down into the tomb’s depth with his head.

“Shall we?”

The stone stairs descend sharply down into the earth, going down 10’ before terminating in a small 10’ landing before plunging down another 10’ to open up into a cavernous chamber 80’ x 50’ that could have served as a ballroom in less gloomy circumstances. Unlike the rough granite exterior entrance, here the tomb shifts to ornate carved white marble, complete with decorated columns that line either side of the hall to support the roof 15’ overhead, each column depicting frolicking angels carrying souls up to the heavens, as represented by said roof which seems to be decorated with gold paint and crushed gemstones.

This seems to be the “lobby” of sorts for the tomb, as at the edge of your lights stone stairs at each corner of the cavernous entry chamber lead 10’ down into side chambers that appear to be more function than form, with slots carved into the stone walls to hold coffins and remains. Unfortunately, they seem to have failed in their purpose as many of the coffins have been pulled out from their resting places and smashed open, leaving bones scattered into a rough heap in the middle of each alcove’s floor (far more bones, you think, than should otherwise be held in the handful of coffins resting within each alcove).

As Sabrina crosses the floor of the entry chamber to bring its back wall into the light from her glowing sword, she reveals that this beautiful central chamber has likewise been desecrated. A rough hole has been smashed through the back wall of marble, leaving an equally roughly dug tunnel in the dirt beyond yawning wide open to beckon you all onward. Standing firmly in front of that dug-out tunnel, however, is a hulking skeletal form almost half again as large as a horse. Were it not for long skeletal beak jutting out of its skull, the creature would resemble a massive bear, although it is the bronze plate still bolted down its left side, the engraved letters reading “property of House Jeggare” that leave no doubt that this is Jeggare’s missing owlbear skeleton. Which, in addition to now being found, as also been re-animated as it steps forward and snaps its beak open and shut several times.

As if in response to this, purple mist begins to seep up through the stone floor of the four alcoves around the room, and the tomb is suddenly full of the clatter of bones pulling themselves together and pulling themselves up to their feet. Undaunted, Sabrina strides forward towards the owlbear skeleton as it lumbers forward into a charge to meet her.

“I’ve got the big one – you keep the rest of them off my back!”

“You all seem to have a knack for finding trouble wherever you go. I suppose it is too late to withdraw and wait for the Pharasmans to get here to help. Ah well.”

Marcus observes, turning and throwing himself towards the line of skeletons, wearing old but functional armor and carrying similar well-preserved weapons, ascending up from the western alcove. Less ancient and probably not originally buried with these bones are the cloth tabards they each wear, depicting a grey skeletal hand against a black background clenching all fingers in a fist – save one which remains defiantly outstretched.

“I will handle this flank, watch the other side!”

(OOC: And we are finally back, with a fresh combat within the Poryphia tomb, as untrapped does not equal unguarded! Sabrina is taking the owlbear’s attention – for now at least – while Marcus is holding the western line of skeletons. That leaves the ones to the east as the immediate threat for now, although the purple mist is still billowing in each alcove and there’s lots more bones down in each one. For purposes of simplicity, we shall assume that the entirety of the central chamber is lit up by your various sources of light, although thanks to the gloom of the animating fog in each alcove, creatures down those flights of stairs and within each alcove have partial concealment. Each group of skeletons currently consists of three sword and shieldmen, behind which is a skeleton wielding a lance and then two archers 10’ back from that.)

Combat Map
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

As they cross the threshold of the tomb, Dalen spends a moment to cast the Mage Armor spell. An invisible suit of armor envelops him, the gentle inertia barely perceptible as he moves his limbs.

The rattling of undead bones is at once a shock as it is completely unsurprising. Still, most of the undead here were mere mindless thralls, perhaps not even under the necromancer's direct control but merely left to attack upon their natural instincts. Perhaps they were immune to Enchantment, but such simple impetus without purpose or desire was easily swayed by other means. Sweeping his arm and incanting his illusion spell, a wall of stone materializes, cutting the room in half. He then steps back to avoid the shrapnel.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dalen casts Silent Image to create the illusion of a solid stone wall right behind the Owlbear, completely cutting off the bottom half of the room. He then moves 10 feet back up the stairwall to put himself out of line of sight of the archers so he can continue concentrating on the spell. Silent Image is a Concentration spell, so any damage dealt to Dalen will trigger a concentration check that could cause the spell to fizzle

9. - Top - End - #669

Silas drew his sword knowing he was ill-fitted for this fight. He charged forward hoping to remove the head of the rune-laden monsters without fully knowing their abilities. It was all he could do to protect his compatriots as they descended into the deadly dwellings of depraved ne'er-do-wells.

"I don't know of what mind these rattling wretches have to themselves, but stay behind me as we break through their numbers!"

Show
    Move to block Guard 5. Attack Guard 5.

Attack: (1d20+8)[28]
    Crit (26+): (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[11]
    Extra if crit: (2d4+5)[10]

Silas Rata'da
    Male Chaotic Neutral Rakshasa-Spawn Velvet Blade, Level 4, Init 3, HP 28/28, DR cold/electic/fire 5, Speed 20/30
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 20, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will -1, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Sick AF Falchion, +1 Cold Iron +8 (2d4+5, 18-20/x2)
    Chakram (3) +7 (1d8+3, x2)
    Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, +3 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 14
    Condition None
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

The playwright had a small sniff of satisfaction that yes, something was up with that crypt -- followed by a sigh of trepidation that something was up with that crypt.

As the group prepared to enter the crypt, Aliani remarked wryly "Well, on the plus side, the crypt has already been desecrated if not defiled, so whatever we're doing isn't going to make things worse?"

Yes, something was *definitely* up with this crypt, he observed as they made their way into the lobby. Something that was *not* the work of their pursuee. A small groan of annoyance escaped his lips at the sight of the owlbear skeleton, and a much louder one at the sight of that damned mist. The mist, at least, snapped him into action.

"Stick closer together this time! Don't go wandering too far off!" he shouted with a confident air of authority that truth be told, was a total-put on. A second glace at that owlbear made him do a quick double take. "And Sabrina, mind those upper claws! Those are GHOUL claws, don't ask me how!"

"May the gods keep and protect me. I'd rather not get my neck gnawed again?" A slightly irreverent prayer, perhaps, but his patron would know better than most how he felt. A few steps forward to get into position, as he brought his hand up to adjust his neckline a bit in preparation for what was to come.

Show
    Cast protection from evil on myself.
    Move 20' south, to 10' behind Sabrina. Draw mace, if it wasn't already.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: Despite their initial appearances as within melee range, I'm going to have Sabrina & Marcus move and attack to represent them charging into combat, same as you guys, if only so that this combat doesn't end immediately in a full-attack flurry. )

Dalen conjures an (illusory) wall of stone, which certainly appears real enough to the skeletons as he can dimly see them through the (to his eyes) somewhat transparent wall obediently lining up along the length of the far side of the wall.
    As Marcus goes right (left on the map, right from your perspective coming in from the north), Silas and Jakkin go left, Silas slightly in the lead.
    Silas hears Dalen saying something about the skeletons being dangerous, only to get a first-hand example as he scythes his falchion down through the top of one of the skeleton's heads.
    Rather than simply collapsing into a pile of bones, the skeleton explodes, sending razor sharp fragments of bone flying in all directions.

Spoiler: Guard #5 Death Reaction
    Show

Explodes, dealing (1d6)[2] Piercing damage, DC 10 Reflex for Half

The nearby skeletons, being bone, basically ignore the piercing shards completely, but being of flesh and blood Silas is certainly less happy about this outcome.
    Jakkin darts in beside the tiefling a moment later, driving his fist into the skeleton still standing next to the destroyed one.
    He is disappointed to learn, however, that the bare bones do not care one bit about the coating of frost covering said fist, although it matters little this turn as his fist thuds harmlessly into the center of that skeleton's raised shield.

Spoiler: Jakkin
    Show

Moves to just south of Silas, punches Guard #6
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[9] Bludgeoning, Skeletons are Immune to Cold damage

On the other flank, Marcus charges into the advancing horde of skeletons, clearly trying to repeat Silas's trick while swirling his cape up and around himself to try and help deflect the ensuing explosion of bone shards.

Spoiler: Marcus
    Show

Move and attack Guard #2
    To-Hit: (1d20+19)[38]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[16]
    Reflex: (1d20+12)[21]

Spoiler: Guard #2 Death
    Show

Explodes for (1d6)[6] Piercing, Reflex DC 10 for Half

Sabrina charges forward at the massive shape of the owlbear necrocraft, Aliani trailing behind her and warning her of its most dangerous capabilities. Sabrina's only response is a grunted "got it" as she sweeps in with her falchion, putting all of her weight behind the swing, which scours a long line across the skull of the owlbear.

Spoiler: Sabrina
    Show

Swift Action: Challenges the owlbear
    Charges the owlbear
    To-Hit: (1d20+25)[36]
    Damage: (2d4+20)[25] (Owlbear resists 5, taking only 20 as a result)

Then, it’s the skeletons’ turn as blades and bolts stab out at Marcus, Silas, and Jakkin. Behind them, down in the reanimating mists more dusty bones click themselves together and stand up, although at least here these newest skeletons are naked, cracked bones rather than the well-equipped vanguard currently engaging the group.

Spoiler: West Skeletons
    Show

Guard #1 – Longsword at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]

Guard #2 – Longsword at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]

Guard #3 – Longsword at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]

Lancer #1 – Longspear at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]

Archer #1 – Crossbow at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[3] (-4 from engaged in melee)
    Damage: (1d8)[8]

Archer #2– Crossbow at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[5] (-4 from engaged in melee)
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

Spoiler: East Skeletons
    Show

Guard #4 – Longsword at Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[7]
    Guard #6 – Longsword at Jakkin
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

Lancer #1 – Longspear at Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[6]

Archer #1 – Crossbow at Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[12] (-4 from engaged in melee)
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

Archer #2– Crossbow at Jakkin
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[3] (-4 from engaged in melee)

Marcus, Silas, and Jakkin all manage to dodge the longswords and crossbow bolts fired in their direction, but the longspears at the back of the skeleton formation prove considerably more deadly, the one dealing a glancing blow to Silas's side while the other manages to catch Marcus dead in the chest with a thrust, the tip of the spear drawing blood but thankfully stopped from penetrating deeper by the commander's armor.

At the far end of the hall, a flicker of malevolent intelligence burns in the gaping eye sockets of the owlbear construct’s skull. Rather than blindly attacking the first thing in front of it – Sabrina – it instead leaps around her flank, stabbing out with one thrusting claw that has been mounted on top of its shoulder blade, raking at Aliani with the ghoul-fang tips. Meanwhile, it unleashes the rest of its arsenal at the onrushing Sabrina, forcing the warrior back through sheer variety of attacks. Aliani and Sabrina both get gashed by the elongated shoulder claws that the owlbear's creator has bolted onto the thing's shoulder blades, and for a moment their muscles begin to tighten before they each manage to shake off the paralysis. Sabrina shares a look with Aliani as she deflects the rest of the owlbear's numerous attacks - they might not be so lucky next time.

Spoiler: Owlbear
    Show

5’ Steps to the northeast, bringing Aliani within reach of its 10’ reach paralyzing claws, and attacks him with one of them. The other paralyzing claw and its two front claws and beak go after Sabrina.
    Paralyzing Claw #1 – At Aliani
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[6]
    Hit: Fort Save DC 13 or Paralyzed for (1d4+1)[4] rounds. - Aliani passes with a natural 20.

Paralyzing Claw #2 – At Sabrina
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[27] +2 for Charging
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8]
    Hit: Fort Save DC 13 or Paralyzed for (1d4+1)[4] rounds. Sabrina passes with a natural 2.

Foreclaw #1 – At Sabrina
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[18] +2 for Charging
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]
    Hit: Gain 1d4 Bleed damage (doesn’t stack)

Foreclaw #2 – At Sabrina
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[15] +2 for Charging
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]
    Hit: Gain 1d4 Bleed damage (doesn’t stack)

Beak – At Sabrina
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[20] +2 for Charging
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6]
    Hit: Fort Save DC 13 or Diseased

Battle Map

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Good Guys
    Silas - 7
    Aliani - 6

Marcus - 12
    Sabrina - 8

Bad Guys
    Owlbear – 20

Guard #1
    Guard #2 - DEAD
    Guard #3
    Lancer #1
    Archer #1
    Archer #2

Guard #4
    Guard #5DEAD
    Guard #6
    Lancer #2
    Archer #3
    Archer #4

Bone Pile #1
    Decrepit #1
    Bone Pile #2
    Decrepit #2

SEALED OFF BY “STONE” WALL
    Guard #7
    Guard #8
    Guard #9
    Lancer #3
    Archer #5
    Archer #6

Guard #10
    Guard #11
    Guard #12
    Lancer #4
    Archer #7
    Archer #8

Bone Pile #3
    Decrepit #3
    Bone Pile #4
    Decrepit #4

Last edited by Inspectre; 2023-01-15 at 08:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani strode forward confidently ... until that ghoul claw (the one they were supposed to mind) flashed out at him. It bit into his shoulder, but the necrotic energies quickly flashed over him. "Dammit!" he snarled, quickly applying the brakes and throwing his feet into a hasty reverse.

He brought his hand to his clasp, letting out a wheezing cough as he did so. *May the undead find their final rest* was his whispered prayer.

Show
    Back up 5' to the north
    Standard: Channel energy to hurt undead. This should hit everyone in the big square part of the room (this side of the "wall")
    Damage: (2d6)[11] -- DC 15 save for half.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2023-01-15 at 09:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

The undead recoil from the wave of positive energy released by Aliani, several of them exploding into bone shards on each side of the tomb.

Spoiler: Guard 3 Explosion
    Show

Damage: (1d6)[2]

Marcus Reflex: (1d20+12)[23] (Evasion)

Spoiler: Guard 6 Explosion
    Show

Damage: (1d6)[5]
    Jakkin Reflex: (1d20+11)[12] (Evasion)

Show

Good Guys
    Silas - 12
    Aliani - 6
    Jakkin - 5

Marcus - 12
    Sabrina - 8

Bad Guys
    Owlbear – 31

Guard #1 - 5
    Guard #2 - DEAD
    Guard #3 - DEAD
    Lancer #1 - 5
    Archer #1
    Archer #2

Guard #4 - 5
    Guard #5DEAD
    Guard #6 - DEAD
    Lancer #2 - 5
    Archer #3
    Archer #4

Bone Pile #1
    Decrepit #1
    Bone Pile #2
    Decrepit #2

Guard #7
    Guard #8
    Guard #9
    Lancer #3
    Archer #5
    Archer #6

Guard #10
    Guard #11
    Guard #12
    Lancer #4
    Archer #7
    Archer #8

Bone Pile #3
    Decrepit #3
    Bone Pile #4
    Decrepit #4

Last edited by Inspectre; 2023-01-15 at 08:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674

Silas braced against the onslaught of bone and blade, each of which he was more used to in their own contexts. When at last he found an opening through the sea of steel, he slashed at the skeleton to his left while seeming stone-faced in the advent shower of shards.

Show
    Silas attacks Guard 4, NE of his position. If it explodes, he'll 5-foot step East.

Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Crit (26+): (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage (2d4+5)[12]
    Crit damage (2d4+5)[11]

Reflex in Discord: 16

Silas steps over the exploded remnants, getting within striking distance of the lance's wielder.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2023-01-15 at 09:08 PM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Another skeleton explodes beneath Silas's blade (dealing 3 piercing, of which Silas saves with a "16", dealing him 1 damage).

As the skeletons fall, Jakkin darts in to punch the spear-carrying skeleton in the skull.

Show

5' steps onto the mess of broken bones of Guard #6, punching at Lancer #2
    Move Action, going to use Martial mastery to swap into having Deflect Arrows for those archers.
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]
    Reflex: (1d20+11)[29]

Show

Good Guys
    Silas - 13
    Aliani - 6
    Jakkin - 5

Marcus - 12
    Sabrina - 8

Bad Guys
    Owlbear – 31

Guard #1 - 5
    Guard #2 - DEAD
    Guard #3 - DEAD
    Lancer #1 - 5
    Archer #1
    Archer #2

Guard #4 - DEAD
    Guard #5DEAD
    Guard #6 - DEAD
    Lancer #2 - 5
    Archer #3
    Archer #4

Bone Pile #1
    Decrepit #1
    Bone Pile #2
    Decrepit #2

Guard #7
    Guard #8
    Guard #9
    Lancer #3
    Archer #5
    Archer #6

Guard #10
    Guard #11
    Guard #12
    Lancer #4
    Archer #7
    Archer #8

Bone Pile #3
    Decrepit #3
    Bone Pile #4
    Decrepit #4

Last edited by Inspectre; 2023-01-15 at 09:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen continues concentrating on his spell, keeping a safe distance from harm while observing the battle.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Troll in the Playground

Marcus unleashes a flurry of slashes against the two remaining skeletons standing against him off to the western edge of the tomb.

Show

5' Step to just south of Guard #1, Full Attack against Guard #1 & Lancer #1

To-Hit: (1d20+19)[28]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[10]

To-Hit: (1d20+19)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[15]

To-Hit: (1d20+14)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[14]

To-Hit: (1d20+14)[30]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[11]

To-Hit: (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[11]

Reflex versus Guard #1: (1d20+12)[21] (1d6)[2]
    Reflex versus Lancer #1: (1d20+12)[16] (1d6)[4]

Meanwhile, Sabrina sweeps in at the owlbear, battering it with repeated blows from her falchion. The first blow shears through the owlbear's left shoulder, the second splits apart its skull, and the third and final blow scatters the owlbear's bones across the floor of the tomb. They rattle for a moment, and then lie still as the necromantic energies powering it leak out and dissipate to nothing.

"Well that was easy."

Sabrina grunts, seeming almost disappointed that the hulking necrocraft hadn't managed to endure more than a couple of rounds against the finest duelist in Korvosa (with a little help from Aliani).

Show

Full Attack versus the owlbear
    To-Hit: (1d20+23)[29]
    Damage: (2d4+20)[26]

To-Hit: (1d20+18)[29]
    Damage: (2d4+20)[25]

To-Hit: (1d20+13)[25]
    Damage: (2d4+20)[25]

Show

Good Guys
    Silas - 13
    Aliani - 6
    Jakkin - 5

Marcus - 12
    Sabrina - 8

Bad Guys
    OwlbearDEAD

Guard #1 - DEAD
    Guard #2 - DEAD
    Guard #3 - DEAD
    Lancer #1 - DEAD
    Archer #1
    Archer #2
    Decrepit #1

Guard #4 - DEAD
    Guard #5DEAD
    Guard #6 - DEAD
    Lancer #2 - 5
    Archer #3
    Archer #4
    Decrepit #2

Bone Pile #1
    Decrepit #5
    Bone Pile #2
    Decrepit #6

Guard #7
    Guard #8
    Guard #9
    Lancer #3
    Archer #5
    Archer #6

Guard #10
    Guard #11
    Guard #12
    Lancer #4
    Archer #7
    Archer #8

Bone Pile #3
    Decrepit #3
    Decrepit #7
    Bone Pile #4
    Decrepit #4
    Decrepit #8
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2023-01-16 at 02:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

As the skeletons' front line collapses, the archers from within the mist launch another volley of crossbow bolts at Marcus, Silas, and Jakkin.
    The halfling contemptuously bats the crossbow bolt aside.

Spoiler: Archers
    Show

#1 & #2 reload and fire at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d8)[1]

#3 reload and fire at Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[1] (-4 firing into melee)
    Damage: (1d8)[6]

#4 reload and fire at Jakkin
    Regardless of attack rolls, it misses thanks to Jakkin's Deflect Arrows feat

The last standing lancer on Silas & Jakkin's side steps to one side, swinging its longspear at the halfling who attempting to pummel it a moment ago.
    Spoiler: Lancer
    Show

5' step to the north, swing at Jakkin
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]

From the depths of the mist on either side, a decrepit skeleton limps up the stairs and claws at Marcus & Silas.

Spoiler: Decrepit
    Show

Decrepit #1 - Marcus
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]

Decrepit #2 - Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7]

Battle Map

Show

Good Guys
    Silas - 13
    Aliani - 6
    Jakkin - 5

Marcus - 12
    Sabrina - 8

Bad Guys
    OwlbearDEAD

Guard #1 - DEAD
    Guard #2 - DEAD
    Guard #3 - DEAD
    Lancer #1 - DEAD
    Archer #1
    Archer #2
    Decrepit #1

Guard #4 - DEAD
    Guard #5DEAD
    Guard #6 - DEAD
    Lancer #2 - 5
    Archer #3
    Archer #4
    Decrepit #2

Bone Pile #1
    Decrepit #5
    Bone Pile #2
    Decrepit #6

Guard #7
    Guard #8
    Guard #9
    Lancer #3
    Archer #5
    Archer #6

Guard #10
    Guard #11
    Guard #12
    Lancer #4
    Archer #7
    Archer #8

Bone Pile #3
    Decrepit #3
    Decrepit #7
    Bone Pile #4
    Decrepit #4
    Decrepit #8

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen continues to keep his focus crystallized on his spell. As Sabrina finishes the Owlbear he acknowledges her, "fantastic work. My illusion will hold the other half of the undead at bay until the threat on this side is neutralized,"

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the owlbear skeleton crumple to the ground, Aliani reversed his reversal, moving forward to the edge of the wall while giving the ghoul claws, dismembered as they were, a healthy margin of error. "You may want to go help them clean up" he muttered to Sabrina, "not that it seems they need it. I'll soften up these for when Mr. Rittle gets bored."

With that, facing that brick wall, he brought his hand up again, unleashing a second wave of positive energy for the undead to choke on.

Show
    Move forward to the center of the "wall"
    Channel energy to blow up yon undead, (2d6)[11] damage

21. - Top - End - #681

Moving as he must, Silas hastily swept sharpened steel into the nearest bundle of bone so that it might splinter and explode. "I afear I'll be plucking these from my ass until the sun sets in the morrow!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Silas targets the lancer.

Attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    Crit (26+): (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[9]
    Crit Damage: (2d4+5)[9]

~ Piccadilly Pineapple

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

Jakkin drives a fist through the flimsy bones of the skeleton in front of him and then moves through the collapsing skeleton to throw a fist at the skull of the lancer that keeps swiping its spear at him.

Show

Punch Decrepit #2, and then 5' step and punch Lancer #2 if possible.
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[27]

To-Hit: (1d20+9)[26]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

Sabrina glances at Aliani and opens her mouth for what was likely some sort of snarky reply, and then she clearly sees through the illusionary wall as half of the skeletons collapse and explode at a single prayer from Aliani.
    And so the bodyguard simply closes her mouth, gives a slight nod of respect to the bard/cleric, turns, and charges the ancient skeleton as it turns to claw at Marcus's back as the Sable Marine commander descends the stairs at the archers in the mist below.

Show

Sabrina charges Decrepit #1, as it's the only skeleton within charging distance.
    To-Hit: (1d20+25)[36]
    Damage: (2d4+8)[15]

Show

Moves down the stairs, provoking an AoO from Decrepit Skeleton #1, Attacking Archer #1
    To-Hit: (1d20+19)[30]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[16]

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

The last remaining skeletons on this side of Dalen's wall continue to fight on, lacking any sense of intelligence to know when they're beaten.

A pair of bolts lance up out of the mist and Silas and Jakkin, and the last standing archer on Marcus's side reloads and shoots at him point-blank, leaving it up to a counter-swipe from the commander's scimitar.

Show

#2 at Marcus, provoking AoO
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

Marcus's AoO
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[32] (21 or Over Hits)
    To-Hit: (1d20+19)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[9]
    Reflex (if Explosion): (1d20+12)[28] Damage: (1d6)[2]

#3 Archer shoots at Jakkin, automatically misses due to Deflect Arrows

#4 Archer shoots at Silas (Jakkin is providing cover)
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[11]
    Damage: (1d8)[4]

From the mists, the decrepit bones rattle foward, clawing at Marcus and Jakkin, while more rise from the piles of bones behind them.
    One of the skeletons's flailing claws draws a bit of blood from Marcus's arm, as does the one running up to claw at Jakkin.

Spoiler: Decrepit
    Show

#5 Double Swipe at Marcus
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[22], (1d4+3)[5]
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[13], (1d4+3)[6]

#6 Moves up and swipes at Jakkin
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[21], (1d4+3)[4]

Battle Map

Show

Good Guys
    Silas - 13
    Aliani - 6
    Jakkin - 9

Marcus - 17
    Sabrina - 8

Bad Guys
    OwlbearDEAD
    Guard #1 - DEAD
    Guard #2 - DEAD
    Guard #3 - DEAD
    Lancer #1 - DEAD
    Archer #1 - DEAD
    Decrepit #1 - DEAD

Archer #2 - 4
    Decrepit #5
    Decrepit #9

Guard #4 - DEAD
    Guard #5DEAD
    Guard #6 - DEAD
    Lancer #2 - DEAD
    Decrepit #2 - DEAD
    Archer #3
    Archer #4
    Decrepit #6
    Decrepit #10

Bone Pile #1

Bone Pile #2

Guard #7 - DEAD
    Guard #8 - DEAD
    Guard #10 - DEAD
    Guard #11 - DEAD
    Lancer #3 - DEAD
    Lancer #4 - DEAD
    Archer #6 - DEAD
    Decrepit #3 - DEAD
    Decrepit #4 - DEAD

Guard #9 - 5
    Guard #12 - 5
    Archer #5 - 5
    Archer #7 - 5
    Archer #8 - 5
    Decrepit #7
    Decrepit #8
    Decrepit #11
    Decrepit #12

Bone Pile #3
    Bone Pile #4
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2023-01-23 at 08:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #684

Silas circled his enemies to wedge himself between the three of them. From there he swiped at the one bowless bonehead.

Show
    Move to be adjacent to archers and decrepit skeleton, avoiding AoO by taking the long way. Attack decrepit skeleton:

Attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    Crit (if 26+): (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[10]
    Crit: (2d4+5)[10]
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen continues to concentrate on his spell while keeping clear of any bone shards that might come flying in his direction. Once this side of the wall was clear, they could form up and overrun the undead on the other side.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani returned Sabrina's nod with a wink of his own, and then turned back to fiddle about once more with the interactions of positive energy and its various benefits in dealing with the undead. Which, he supposed in passing, should make the Pharasmans a wee bit less angry.

Show
    One more channel energy, for (2d6)[8] damage

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, they'll be angry, but provided we have a necromancer and a defiled tomb to direct that outrage it won't be at us," Dalen muses.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Jakkin slips under the confrontation between Silas and the ancient bones, darting down the stairs to take swings at the two archer skeletons. He drives a fist through the skull of one archer, sending it flying into razor-sharp shards that slice into him. The halfling staggers with a grunt, and then braces himself and takes another swing at the remaining archer as it lifts its crossbow at his head, shattering the legs out from under it before twisting away as the main body of the skeleton slams to the floor and explodes apart.

Show

5' Step and full attack
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[29]
    Reflex: (1d20+11)[12]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

To-Hit: (1d20+9)[15]
    Reflex: (1d20+11)[20]
    Damage: (1d6)[4]

Sabrina joins Marcus Endrin in pummeling the skeletons on their side back into splinters of bone and bonedust. Together the two of them make quick work of the three still-standing skeletons, the last archer exploding and leaving a new thin line of blood across Sabrina's already scarred cheek.

Show

Moves and attacks Archer #2
    To-Hit: (1d20+23)[27]
    Damage: (2d4+6)[11]
    Reflex: (1d20+6)[20]

Marcus Reflex: (1d20+12)[17]

Show

Marcus blenders the skeletons
    To-Hit: (1d20+19)[34]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[13]

To-Hit: (1d20+19)[37]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[9]

To-Hit: (1d20+14)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[13]

To-Hit: (1d20+14)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[12]

The archer skeletons on that side unleash another round of crossbow bolts, provoking another round of swings from Jakkin.

Spoiler: Jakkin AoO
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+9)[10]
    Reflex: (1d20+11)[31]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

To-Hit: (1d20+9)[23]
    Reflex: (1d20+11)[25]

Show

Archer #3 Shoots at Silas
    To-Hit: (1d20-1)[11]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]

Archer #4 Auto misses Jakkin due to Deflect Arrows

Aliani unleashes a wave of healing energy again, this one tearing through the skeletons and blowing every single one of them apart - seems Milani didn't care for undead any more than Pharasma.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2023-02-01 at 08:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

As the last of the skeletons fall, the world spins and shifts yet again, and as you recover your balance, you find yourselves once more in a different world.
    You are still in the Poryphia tomb, surrounded by shattered bones, but yet again the world has subtly shifted around you.
    Jakkin is gone, and in his place several new people have taken his place as your traveling companions.
    As before, memories of this other life come swiftly into your mind, overlapping in many ways with your recent experiences but with a few minor differences here and there.
    Regardless, it seems you still had a misplaced queen to rescue, a mother to avenge, and a madwoman to stop before she could unleash Lamm's discovered weapon onto the unprepared city for a second time!

The story continues in The Crimson Echo Season Three!