Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Players needed for PF version of Die, Vecna, Die

I would be very interested in playing such an iconic adventure! Later today I will post an entry.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    OK thanks.

Well, I think i will go for a dwarven mutation warrior, with spiritual weapon ability. Since he is a fighter, he will probably be outshined and outclassed by mostly everyone, but I think it will be cool to have him follow a centuries-old feud with Iuz and Vecna.

Would it be OK if his mutagen abilities were dwarven stone power? As if, drawing from the earth to become stronger through a brew, and the Wings are his animation of a flying stone beneath him?

I am thinking Steel Soul, Iron Will and just plain fighting feats.
    Yes, you can consider them to be dwarven stone powers. I would prefer it, since it has a more old school feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmwd View Post
    Would I be allowed to prepare either a persistent magic missile and then use dazing spell on it from my rod? Persistent spell says that spells that don't give a saving throw don't benefit from the feat but I don't think that it specifically says that you can't put it on a spell that has no saving throw. (I'm asking here because I think it's GM discretion).
    Yes, that sounds fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    I think I'm going to swap swift foot for spell sunder as one of my rage powers but I've been meaning to ask in the likely event Kammy tries to pull this:

Can I leap--as in, make a running start acrobatics check to hurl myself at an enemy oppposed to just running as a charge? In case there's a gap or something between me and the target?
    That sounds fine.
    So... I've only had one chance to play a barbarian with so many rage powers in the past, and it didn't come up then but...

Is Superstition, and by proxy the "screw with spellcasters" rage powers, worth taking? The biggest drawback I can see is that it will be incredibly difficult to heal Kammy if I take this, and wanted to know if this was shooting myself in the foot or if anybody with experience in such matters knows if it's a worthwhile trade...
    I haven't read right through the module yet (I want to be surprised as well as things develop), but yes, I would think that from what I have read so far that being able to fight mages would be worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    @gm, are archetypes allowed? I would have assumed yes but perhaps there is a limitation to "old school" ffel for the classes?

I am considering an unchained rogue
    Yes, archetypes are allowed. They are very similar to 2E Kits, so it is actually very fitting.
    Can I ask if there are feat tax rules in effect? Martials sure need them and they are very common.
    I hadn't considered that, but yes, it seems like a good idea. I will edit that into the 16. Sorry to anyone who has a sheet built already, but I am sure you will enjoy the extra feats it provides.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

I certainly appreciate the extra feat as this frees me from weapon finesse but I'm in a pickle on what to use if for as every other feat I have can only be taken after level two...

Maybe I should take toughness or an EWP so Kammy has something better than a d4 melee attack when she's not raging...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would probably go with the EWP. Best bang for the buck.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

With feat taxe rules I can pick up wand dancer! sweet!

The plan is on a halfling counterfeit mage filcher unchained rogue, who uses a wand + shielded gauntelt style in order to strike and swipe his enemies

rolling for dem stats
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[8]

Edit - well, its a good thing Im really SAD stats wise (:
    EDIT 2- If I get the same bonus feat from a class twice due to the feat tax rules, can I choose another bonus feat? (Since I'd get deft maneuvers from both Filcher at 4th level and finesse training at 1st level)
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2020-03-31 at 01:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Elven curve blade it is then!

...also, this may be really dumb but I have to ask: can Kamille form those beast claws on her FEET opposed to her hands?

Like, I assume she can't switch them from one set of limbs during the rage, but can she pick before raging? So if she was tied up she could pop them out from her toes. Or would she have to pick at character creation where they come from?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm assembling a half-elf Storm Druid.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With feat taxe rules I can pick up wand dancer! sweet!

The plan is on a halfling counterfeit mage filcher unchained rogue, who uses a wand + shielded gauntelt style in order to strike and swipe his enemies

rolling for dem stats
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Edit - well, its a good thing Im really SAD stats wise (:
    EDIT 2- If I get the same bonus feat from a class twice due to the feat tax rules, can I choose another bonus feat? (Since I'd get deft maneuvers from both Filcher at 4th level and finesse training at 1st level)
    Yes, if you get a duplicate bonus feat, you can swap it for something else.
    Elven curve blade it is then!

...also, this may be really dumb but I have to ask: can Kamille form those beast claws on her FEET opposed to her hands?

Like, I assume she can't switch them from one set of limbs during the rage, but can she pick before raging? So if she was tied up she could pop them out from her toes. Or would she have to pick at character creation where they come from?
    Interesting question. I guess since they are both just limbs, you could decide before the rage which body part they come from. You can't use it to get bonus attacks by, for example, having the claws appear from the feet and then wield weapons in hand as well. I will say that fluff-wise, you couldn't concentrate on using both weapons at once.

9. - Top - End - #69

Planetar

Here is the text for the brutal maneuver talent -
    The first time each round that the vigilante uses a weapon, including a natural attack or unarmed strike, to perform a combat maneuver in place of making an attack (such as by performing a disarm, sunder, or trip combat maneuver in place of making a melee attack), he can choose to take a 5 penalty on all his attack rolls during the round. If he does so and succeeds at his combat maneuver check, the vigilante deals damage to the target of his combat maneuver as if he had hit that target with a normal hit from his weapon.

Regarding the bold part of the text - am I able to add sneak attack damage to this weapon damage roll?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

That's fair. Just to set the record straight, I wasn't going to try to have her attack with a held weapon AND feet claws at once; I was picturing Kammy being tied up and then using them via her feet or if she was carrying something with both hands, hanging from a tightrope, etc...

11. - Top - End - #71

Let's do some rolls...

Spoiler
    Show

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[7]

Edit: Alright, so, point buy it is.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-03-31 at 03:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here is the text for the brutal maneuver talent -
    The first time each round that the vigilante uses a weapon, including a natural attack or unarmed strike, to perform a combat maneuver in place of making an attack (such as by performing a disarm, sunder, or trip combat maneuver in place of making a melee attack), he can choose to take a 5 penalty on all his attack rolls during the round. If he does so and succeeds at his combat maneuver check, the vigilante deals damage to the target of his combat maneuver as if he had hit that target with a normal hit from his weapon.

Regarding the bold part of the text - am I able to add sneak attack damage to this weapon damage roll?
    I would have to say no to that one. If you are focused on trying to perform a combat maneuver, such as a disarm, I couldn't see it possible to be able to focus enough to also do precision damage.
    That's fair. Just to set the record straight, I wasn't going to try to have her attack with a held weapon AND feet claws at once; I was picturing Kammy being tied up and then using them via her feet or if she was carrying something with both hands, hanging from a tightrope, etc...
    That sounds reasonable.

13. - Top - End - #73

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    I would have to say no to that one. If you are focused on trying to perform a combat maneuver, such as a disarm, I couldn't see it possible to be able to focus enough to also do precision damage.

That sounds reasonable.
    Ok, no problem

14. - Top - End - #74

I am currently considering a Half-Orc sorcerer, Arcane Bloodline, Bat Familiar mostly focusing on utility spells (did not check the wizard application yet, to be honest).

Two questions:

1) In DND 3rd, half-orcs are mostly depicted as strong, dumb and not good with people. And while you had the occasional hero who had put their rolled up 6 to strength, and their lucky 17 to charisma, this was probably rather the exception. In pathfinder, there is no more of such a restriction - indeed Half-orcs are very flexible, similar to Half-elves, might well function in any kind of society, and might even put their +2 to charisma. Would you feel it to "non-core" to do this? I would still probably start with something like a 12/14/14/12/11/16 spread or something similar.

2) Are alternate racial traits allowed? I am particularly looking to go for human raised (replacing ferocity and weapon proficiency by skilled) or maybe sacred tattoo, no fey magic or similar.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You can set your stats however you like. You don't have to play a big, dumb half-orc.

And yes, you can use first party alternate racial traits.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm still playing with some stuff for my wizard. I have a couple of questions.

1) How do you feel about neutral people summoning evil creatures?

2) If I still have a reason to hate Iuz and Vecna is it okay if I'm not completely good? I'm considering going with an ends justify the means type of thing.

3) When I've finalized my build can you look at it to make sure it's about the right power level? I'm worried I might overshoot the power level.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

1. That's fine.
    2. Not a problem there. Iuz and Vecna are trying to use each other, too. So having non-good people trying to stop them works fine. Even evil gods would be against them.
    3. Normally I would leave looking at sheets until the end. But there is no reason I can't offer advice earlier than that. So that is fine. Let me know when you are done and I will take another look. It looked alright before, when you posted the second version of it. So if you are in the same ballpark still you should be fine.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I am working on a Human Paladin/Shadowdancer. The idea is a dark, vengeful BBEG-killer who doesn't have the time or motivation to be nice. He's good, but definitely unfriendly.

Ability score rolls (4d6b3)[9], (4d6b3)[9], (4d6b3)[10], (4d6b3)[13], (4d6b3)[10], (4d6b3)[17], (4d6b3)[10] or 25 Point Buy

Is Variant Multi-classing Allowed?

Looking at The-Elephant-in-the-Room-Feat-Taxes-in-Pathfinder, I assume that the feat requirements for Shadowdancer (Combat Reflexes, Dodge, and Mobility) will be eased to only include Combat Reflexes and Dodge, right? Since Dodge now includes the effects of both Dodge and Mobility...
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2020-03-31 at 10:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Variant multiclassing is okay. I am not all that familiar with it, but my understanding is that it falls somewhere short of gestalt, so it is fine.

Yes, you figure correctly. You only need the two feats, since Dodge and Mobility are merged.

20. - Top - End - #80

MindFlayer

Interested, likely as a Fighter or Barbarian, but let's see what the dice say.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Yeah ... with that spread I think I'll try a Monk of some kind instead. Would a Zen Archer be okay, or does that conflict with your preference for Unchained variants?
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2020-03-31 at 11:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think there may have been a zen archer already, but not sure. Go ahead and build one though. I prefer unchained, but if an archetype requires standard, then use that if they aren't otherwise compatible.

22. - Top - End - #82

MindFlayer

Actually, thinking about a Ranger instead, as I haven't played one in forever. I've also never played Die, Vecna, Die; I presume Undead is a good favored enemy choice, but any hints as to favored enemies/terrains?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a first draft of my submission:

Talok Grathulkas, dwarven fighter (mutation warrior)

I want to write his history and beliefs, but I cannot find a decent link to Greyhawk pantheons. Any help with that? Also, does anyone have a presentation of Greyhawk in particular? I would like to know if a specific dearven kingdom or clan would have a reason to have an undying hatred of Vecna and Iuz.

24. - Top - End - #84

Thank you for your feedback.

I am currently trying to figure out a nice background, and as such started to read into Greyhawk a bit. Could you give a general timeframe when we start (the year would suffice)?

And, as I have not so much experience with playing in Greyhawk (mostly homebrew or forgotten realms before): With our experience level we are not a rarity yet, but assumed to be rather competent people, right?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Actually, thinking about a Ranger instead, as I haven't played one in forever. I've also never played Die, Vecna, Die; I presume Undead is a good favored enemy choice, but any hints as to favored enemies/terrains?
    Undead is probably the best bet. As for terrain, dungeons are probably the best, since it is mostly indoors. But you will be travelling to different planes too, so it won't always be helpful.
    This is a first draft of my submission:

Talok Grathulkas, dwarven fighter (mutation warrior)

I want to write his history and beliefs, but I cannot find a decent link to Greyhawk pantheons. Any help with that? Also, does anyone have a presentation of Greyhawk in particular? I would like to know if a specific dearven kingdom or clan would have a reason to have an undying hatred of Vecna and Iuz.
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Greyhawk_deities Use the 3rd Edition gods section. There is a listing with the dwarven gods beneath the human gods. Everyone hates and fears the two demigods, even the other evil gods. Vecna is the worst of them all. My understanding of Iuz is that he is basically a bit like Genghis Khan on steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niobaran View Post
    Thank you for your feedback.

I am currently trying to figure out a nice background, and as such started to read into Greyhawk a bit. Could you give a general timeframe when we start (the year would suffice)?

And, as I have not so much experience with playing in Greyhawk (mostly homebrew or forgotten realms before): With our experience level we are not a rarity yet, but assumed to be rather competent people, right?
    You are not a rarity as such, but are a bit unusual. There are epic level casters such as the Circle of Eight, but they tend to stick with their own grand affairs. As adventurers go, you are high level.

As far as a starting year, the book doesn't say, and I can't find a reference online. It doesn't matter a great deal, because you won't be on Greyhawk for a long time, and will be pretty self-contained for that period. Let us say that you are at the point where the 3E Living Greyhawk period was ending, but before the Hand of Vecna was publicly rediscovered again, so 596.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've also built a ranger, as it happens. He's done, at least mechanically:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quinn
    Male Chaotic Good Human Ranger (Infiltrator), Level 10, Init +6, HP 104/104, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 25, Touch 14, Flat-footed 21, CMD 30, Fort +12, Ref +13, Will +8, CMB +16/+11, Base Attack Bonus +10/+5
    +2 greatsword +18/+13 (2d6+11, 19-20/x2)
    +2 mighty composite longbow (+6) +16/+16/+11 (1d8+8, )
    +2 mithral nimble slumbering full plate (+11 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 11
    Condition Longstrider (+10 ft. movement speed for 9 hours)

His animal companion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shiro
    Male Neutral Wolf Animal Companion 10, Level 9 HD, Init +3, HP 108/108, Speed 40 ft.
    AC 29, Touch 12, Flat-footed 26, CMD 27, Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +4, CMB +14, Base Attack Bonus +6
    +1 bite +13/+8 (2d6+11, x2)
    +1 lamellar (steel) (+7 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +10 Natural)
    Abilities Str 24, Dex 16, Con 22, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Condition None
    Last edited by Taelas; 2020-04-01 at 05:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Halfling in the Playground

A Zen Archer wouldn't be a problem. I was considering making one at one point but I landed on wizard instead.

Edit: If I have a Ring of Sustenance and I become fatigued can I take a two hour rest to lose the fatigue? If so, is there a limit on how many times I can do that per day?
    Last edited by hmwd; 2020-04-01 at 09:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Kamille's story
    Show

"Anger is...one of the mind's ways of reacting to things that it perceives to be wrong. While anger can sometimes lead people to do shocking things, it can also be an instinct to show people that something isn't right." --Unknown.

She has the temperament and behaviors of a chimeric mix of a lone wolf, a wild cat, and a tyrannosaurus. Woe to her enemies...

Halflings are not known for their anger. No fount of ire is associated with them, but sometimes there is the...natural exception... Kamille used to be a woodcutter's daughter, albeit the most tomboyish sort who was expected to take over papa's craft for he had no sons and it suited her just fine. A life of cutting logs and feasting after a hard day's work was all she wanted. But the hordes of Iuz came. She doesn't even recall what her homelands were named or where they once were on the map, just that they were brutally razed. She was on the outskirts of that catastrophe and had an axe when the monsters came, so she had a headstart, but even that wouldn't have saved her. Instead, the druid did that. An elf who always wore a wolf's head cloak, he had been trying to intercept the evil advancement, not to halt it but to try to mitigate damage arrived too late to safe the settlement but he managed to rescue what few souls he could, and in particular Kammy, who had nearly gone down fighting. While the others took to the roads in hopes of finding refuge, the little warrior stayed with the druid, and the other elven compatriots he had--rangers druids all-- intending to help do the job they'd set out for right. She didn't slow them down.

...However, though the druid took her in and his comrades helped sculpt her into a nature's warrior, to the last they all tried to dissuade her from taking a path of anger and hatred. It was dangerous, foolhardy, but altogether unnatural, they felt, to be controlled by one's rage. To Kammy, however, not only was there plenty to be angry about, sought within her not to tamper her rage, but to focus it. The Beast, her totem that eventually responded to her, was all too willing to help her where others would not. Though she kept a good, curved sword on hand, Kammy let loose with her rage claws before too long, and the results were brutal, but effective. Her relationship with the Druid and his comrades grew strained, but she proved again and again that she would regain control the moment her powers weren't needed.

It wasn't her rage that broke her alliance. It was a conflict of ideals. The Druid and his crew never took the offense, never tried to route or halt the evil's descending on the world. They always took up defense or ran rescue missions, and eventually Kammy got tired of not taking the fight to them instead. After a series of arguments and words that could not be taken back, she broke rank from her mentor and went off on her own. And the Gods Damndest thing is... she hasn't yet died for it. Through sheer luck, good timing and utter tenacity, Kamille has continued to launch strike after strike against Iuz's forces, becoming something of a boogieman for the boogiemen. Some of the rumors paint her as a giant man-beast, a chimera of animal parts and fire and acid that some insane wizard threw at the problem with no reigns of control. Others think she's some sort of wraith or agent of the good gods. Few understand or accept that she's just one, really angry halfling who's good at sneaking into enemy ranks and lawn-mowering them before sneaking off again... But now, as her powers continue to surpass all expectations, she has realized that she must either keep fighting small "chump" fights or if she wants to go after more dangerous prey she must once more find proper allies, though hopefully ones more accepting of a violent little warrior who wants nothing more to fight and fight until there's nothing left to slay. Maybe then she can go back to those childhood dreams of chopping wood and eating pancakes all day... Maybe...

Here is Kammy's backstory. Pretty straightforward, and open enough. If I need to further explain why she's now willing to team up with others I can, but I think it suits her that she has just enough survivor's instinct to realize she needs back up if she wants to end the fight.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-04-01 at 01:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Character background workbench

Spoiler
    Show
    From afar, Raz is often mistaken for a human, his physique hiding some of his orc heritage. Too slender for the typical half-orc, Raz has the body of an average human man. Once seen from up close, his way to Oerth becomes more obvious: Gray, rough skin, canine features, a slightly protruding chin, and small tusks unmistakenably identify one of his parents as an orc, whereas his violet eyes, fair hair and fine nose hint at a human, most likely Souloise, decent. His parents' true identity (and thus also his true origin) remain a mystery for him. As often as he has tried (and by the gods, he tried!), he can picture them as well as an eigth color in the spectrum.

The rational part in him knows that he was simply too young when he lost contact, and was given into the custody of his foster parents in the Shield Lands. His childhood was without a doubt a good one, mostly care free. Even when his life transitioned from child of merchants to disciple of a traveling sorcerer, his life was inarguably better than that of many other children. As much as Raz despises any kind of captivity, he does not hold a grudge towards his mentor who ruled over his few disciples with an iron fist. After all, the old Kendran had taught him how to control his arcane power just to the point where would not be torn into shreds, but without bending it into wizardly theses. Additionally, in contrast to many of the arcane academies, where the title of the lore keeper is often taken literally, Kendran would not hold them back from consuming whatever knowledge they got their hands on during their travels -- a character trait Raz dearly appreciates even if it cost him many nights of peaceful sleep.

The freedom to learn, to develop, to live one's own life became the cornerstones of Raz' idea of an ideal world, founded his admiration for Thrithereon and Lydia, and established his despise for any kind of oppression. As such, his disgust for Iuz spawned once he had heard about his practices. While Raz believes feudality to be fundamentally flawed, at least some of the other rulers seem to somewhat care about the well-being of their domain's population. While other parts of the Flanaess are ruled by evil lords and ladies, those are shadowed by the tenacity of the demigod.

Abstract disgust became burning hate shortly after the great war. When the Lord of Pain invaded the Shield Lands, Raz was far away, at the eastern shore, exploring. When Raz finally had made his way back through wartorn lands, he found his loved ones and childhood memories butchered alike. Years ago, he swore an oath of retribution. Words spoken hastily in anger, but still intended to be kept, in one way or another, as he is well aware that slaying a demigod is no deed for most mortals. But after all, he is neither "most mortals", nor does he plan to achieve it all on his own. He wields power and he knows that others do too. Oerth has been saved by bunches of adventurers before, and if anyone can get rid of the Child of the Evil One, then it will be a group of such extraordinary misfits. Unless the gods decide to intervene, that is.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-04-01 at 03:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hmwd View Post
    A Zen Archer wouldn't be a problem. I was considering making one at one point but I landed on wizard instead.

Edit: If I have a Ring of Sustenance and I become fatigued can I take a two hour rest to lose the fatigue? If so, is there a limit on how many times I can do that per day?
    I was going to say no, because it requires eight hours of rest, not simply sleep. But I have decided to allow it to do it once a day instead.