Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default [In Nomine] rerecruiting

Original Recruitment thread that has Big 16: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...y-of-Pentagram

Current OOC thread, if you want to see the game: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ram&p=24314024

This is Steve Jackson Games' In Nomine game, playing as angels. There's a few houserules to facilitate play and balance some things (see my signature for a link).
    Current characters are an Ofanite of War, Kyriotate of Stone (although the player is sick and not able to post currently), and a Mecurian of Redemption (a homebrew Archangel).

We're just a couple hours into the main plot of the game, so new players haven't missed too much. If you're interested or have questions, please let me know.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: [In Nomine] rerecruiting

Are you willing to take a complete novice. I have the book read it but never played it. If so I would love to work on a character with you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talespin79 View Post
    Are you willing to take a complete novice. I have the book read it but never played it. If so I would love to work on a character with you.
    Yes. We have some other new players, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Currently the two active PCs are a good fighter (Ofanite of War) and a sorta social-reconnaissance/persuasive type (Mecurian of Redemption). But you can have overlap: the Kyriotate of Stone (temporarily, I hope, sorta-made an NPC as the player is ill) is a good fighter but also good at spying.
    The game is set up so you can work together or 'split the party' safely, with different PCs pursuing different threads of the story or following their different Superiors' orders. My only big recommendations is avoid being a Servitor of Animals, Judgement, or Dreams*, no kyriotates, and know that some combat Songs aren't as good as they seem. (One-shot Songs to KO or incapacitate someone are pretty good, but Songs that do damage or boost damage aren't usually worth the cost in points, in my opinion.)

*Animals has a kinda alien perspective to humans. It can work, but it'd be hard, and probably difficult for a new player without a really good concept. Judgement just has problems working with others. And, as I plan to avoid the dreamrealms (Marches), a Servitor of Dreams would probably be bored and hard to play well in this game. I am open to any of those if you have a good concept that can work well with the other PCs; but those Superiors just seem hard to manage.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I kinda wanted to play a Bright Lilam of Destiny. Basically she finally paid back all her debts a few years ago and then choose redemption. I was thinking social sort but if we have that I can work on something else

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I kinda wanted to play a Bright Lilam of Destiny. Basically she finally paid back all her debts a few years ago and then choose redemption. I was thinking social sort but if we have that I can work on something else
    That could work. I made a slight houserule modification to how Lilim Geas work, both to make it workable and not overpowering. See my signature for notes, but my hope is that it makes thing more manageable and straight-forward.
    Do you know the Lilim of Destiny attunement, or what book has that? I think I have it in one of my books, but I'm not sure which.
    A social sort can definitely work. Check out this current PC to make sure it's not a ton of overlap. Do you have a particular Role in mind?

FYI: a player in another game is PMing me about importing over his Malakim of Fire, with the Role of a private investigator.

EDIT: for help with chargen, I wrote this post a while ago.

EDIT: found Lilim of Destiny attunement in In Nomine Superiors 3: Hope and Prophecy.
    Lilim serving Yves would know whether fulfilling a resonance-detected Need will lead a subject toward his destiny, his fate, or neither - though not why.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-31 at 03:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

So I was thinking my vessel is a court appointed psychiatrist who makes deals to lead people down the right path. So not to much over lap I don't think. Should I work her up?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

So I was thinking my vessel is a court appointed psychiatrist who makes deals to lead people down the right path. So not to much over lap I don't think. Should I work her up?
    That definitely sounds like a solid Destiny and Lilim concept.
    I was going to say I was hesitant because of difficulty thinking up good accused criminals for you to be assigned to, but a couple ideas started forming. So, yeah, write it up. If you have any char-gen questions, let me know.

Are you thinking she was a Free Lilim before Redemption (e.g., owed Lilith favors, but not sworn to any Prince)? If no, make sure to include who her former Prince is in the background.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-31 at 09:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I was thinking free before and after redemption she got her heart form Yves

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I was thinking free before and after redemption she got her heart form Yves
    That sounds fine, except Lilith very rarely lets a free lilim get completely free. I'd like to say she still has at least a level 1 geas on you, but you know she just has it as a token gesture. I don't plan on her calling it in in-game. (Minor spoiler for the game: the events aren't something Lilith herself cares a ton about personally.) But just it'd be really rare for a Free Lilim to pay off literally all her debts, given Lilith's normal conduct.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Does Yves know?does he care? Do I have orders about it? I am fine with whatever the answers just wondering.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Does Yves know?does he care? Do I have orders about it? I am fine with whatever the answers just wondering.
    Best to assume he knows, because you told him, but doesn't care much. That's just how it is with Bright Lilim. Your orders about it would be to (if not precluded by the geas being called in) tell him about it when Lilith calls it in, and that it's probably better to take dissonance for disobeying the Geas than to take dissonance for the geas making you act towards Fate.

----

Also, I figured easier to respond to your PM here than PM. PC stats are public to all PCs, so it's not something private anyhow.
    For what Songs...
    If I were in your shoes, I'd think about what cool miracles you'd like to do, and pick what would allow you those options.

For defensive purposes, Corporeal Shields (to avoid all damage), Celestial Motion (to teleport away), or Songs of Harmony (to negate combat occurring) are all good options. If you have low Will, you might want Ethereal Shields or Seals as well.

For 'crowd control'-type or to get around tricky situations, Ethereal Attraction, Ethereal or Celestial Entropy, and Possession or Thunder are useful.

If you want a trick up your sleeve for combat, Numinous Corpus: Acid is the best "bang for your buck". Celestial Motion can double as a combat power by teleporting someone in they sky (although they get a Will save to negate, celestials get free Numinous Corpus: Wings so it doesn't work against them, and it's bad for the Masquerade if you drop humans from the sky a lot.)

EDIT: one thing to keep in mind is what target number (TN) you are comfortable with. Essence sometimes will feel rare, and it feels bad to waste it on a failed Song. I like to have TNs around 9 or 10 to feel really comfortable with my odds of a successful Singing. Also recall that the TN is the Song Rank + your Forces in that realm. Unlike skills there is it Skill rank + relevant attribute.
    Depending on your play style, you might prefer more Songs with lower rank (for more utility with less consistent results) or a few Songs of high rank (for less options but more consistent results.)
    And, if you have 5 minutes to Sing, you can boost your TN by +3. So not too hard to do if not in a combat situation. Just an extra round Singing gives a +1.

---

Also, for your Role: could you describe how you envision that job working, mundanely? I realize I might have a different idea of how that profession works than you do (and I"m fine using your perception; I'm pretty ignorant of that job and just heard of it in passing in some real legal things and, more often, some fiction.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-01 at 01:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Aid with char-gen requested and below

The basics
    Step 1: choose your Choir and Superior.
    Already completed, as a Bright Lilim of Destiny. You get the Lilim Resonance abilities and the Lilim of Destiny Choir Attunement.

Step 2: choose your Forces
    You start with 9 Forces. Divide them between Corporeal (how tough & fast you are in the material world, also your HP), Ethereal (how strong you are in the dreamrealms, and how smart and resistant to intellectual confusion), and Celestial (how perceptive you are, and how willful).
    There is a Mind Hits and Soul Hits, essentially HP based on Intelligence and Will, respectively, but those come up less often.
    3 is considered the average.

To me, generally, Ethereal Forces feel safe to 'dump stat' to 2. There's a couple things that target your mental fortitude, but it's rare. Forces determine the points for your attributes.
    For a Lilim, I'd recommend at least 3 and probably 4 in Celestial Forces, as you want decent Perception to see the Needs of others.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd do something like Corporeal 2 / Ethereal 2 / Celestial 5. Or, if you want to be tougher in combat and less likely to die, Corporeal 3 / Ethereal 2 / Celestial 4.

Step 3: Choose Attributes
    For each Force you have, you have 4 points to put into the attributes.
    Corporeal = Strength / Agility
    Ethereal = Intelligence / Precision
    Celestial = Will / Perception

Strength determines your accuracy in melee, your HP, and resistance to physical things like poison or stunning. Agility determines your speed, ability to dodge, and accuracy with throwing big things.
    Intelligence is how smart you are and impacts some skills, as well as your Mind Hits. Precision is your fine motor skill, such as for surgery or firing a gun.
    Will is your mental fortitude, resistance to mind control/demonic Resonances, and Soul Hits. Perception is mundane perception as well as using your Resonance.

3/4 is human average. 6 is celestial average.

The Rest
    You get 9 (let's call it) 'skill points' for each Force you have. So you have 9*4 = 36 points. These are used to buy everything else: vessels, Roles, skills, Songs, etc.
    For ease, I'd recommend no artifacts, servants, or other extra stuff.

You want to be a court psychologist. That means a vessel (your physical body) and a Role (your role in mortal life).
    For your vessel, it's 3 points per rank. Each rank gives extra HP: your HP is your (Corporeal Forces + Rank)*Strength. So if you had Corporeal Forces 3, Strength 6, and Rank 1 vessel, you'd have (3+1)*6 HP.
    It sounds like you want to avoid combat, so I could see a rank 1 vessel. So you've spent 3 points.

Roles are probably the most complicated part of normal char-gen, mechanically. So don't fret if this sounds overly complex.
    Your Role sounds relatively good. Maybe Rank 4/Status 3 for a cost of 6 points. You have a pretty solid 'backstory' in the Symphony. Status 3 means you have comfortable but not extravagrant wealth. If you want to be richer, you could be Rank 4/Status 4 for a total cost of 8 points, and have a fair bit of extra money for potential bribery or donations to causes to get political or social "in"s.

Your Role also gives you skill at acting your Role. So Rank 4 would mean you have a skill rank of 4 whenever you try to do a "court psychologist"-type thing, like knowing psychology or court routine

When you choose skills, you need at least 1 skill at a rank equal to your Role Rank that makes sense for your Role. I could see Detect Lies, Lying, or Emote making sense.

Skills

Skills are the mundane things you know how to do.

Note that you can do most skills untrained, and sometimes the penalty for being untrained is small. If you have 12 Will, for example, you might not care about putting points into Seduction since it's only a -1 penalty: you'd still roll at TN 11 even without any ranks in it.

You should probably have at least 1 point in Dodge, for times when combat might happen and you'd rather it not happen to hit you too much.

Songs

Songs are the supernatural powers you have. We already talked about this some.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ooh, an In Nomine game!!! It's been a long time since I've played, but I love this game world and theme. (Note, I only have the core rulebook). Brief introduction to my character follows. It's late where I am, I'll work to fix it tomorrow.

I present:

Astarieth, also known as "Sledgehammer Tommy". Seraphim servitor of Dominic.

"There's a lot of judgement that comes when you loan a guy some money. You look at how they're gonna repay it. You look at who they are, who they deal with - where they fit into the world. You look at how they're gonna use it. And sometimes, what they tell you about these things isn't always true. Some of that judgement comes in the deal. Even more of that judgement comes when you collect."

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Astarieth

Forces:
    Corporeal. 3 forces. Strength 9, Agility 3.
    Ethereal. 2 forces. Intelligence 5, Precision 3.
    Celestial. 4 forces. Will 6, Perception 10.

Resonance. Honesty. (TN 14)

Resources.
    Attunement: Seraphim of Judgement. Resonance rolls to determine a subject's honesty are based on his perception plus his celestial forces.

Role: Tommy "Sledgehammer" Rodriguez. Role level 6, Status 2. Tommy the sledgehammer is a loan shark. He's lived in the underworld in various towns in California for twelve years - between LA, San Diego, and Star Valley. He uses this role, and the connections it generates, to help find demons and wayward angels. Sometimes his loans even help his clients. 6 points.

Vessel: Tommy Rodriguez. Level 3. Tommy is well built and strong, and generally craggy looking and stern. He's about 6'3" tall, Mexican-American, with a strong jaw, broad shoulders and a weightlifter's body. He generally dresses in a sweater and jeans, but he goes for a three-piece suit when he's trying to be intimidating. 9 points.

Servant: Joanna Honeycutt. Level 1, Class 4 (Human, 5 forces). Joanna is a criminal defense attorney. She helps underwrite Astarieth's loans and serves as an interface Astarieth and the civilian authorities. Astarieth deeply cares about her, for the good she does in the community. His placement and access in the underworld helps him make sure she can defend the worthy and get justice for the oppressed. Joanna knows that Tommy is an angel, and understands what he's trying to accomplish even if she doesn't get all of the implications yet. 2 points.

Skills.
    Detect Lies - 2 (TN 12)
    Dodge - 4 (TN 7 Corporeal, TN 7 Ethereal, TN 14 Celestial)
    Driving - 1 (TN 4)
    Fighting - 6 (TN 15 Corporeal, TN 11 Ethereal, TN 12 Celestial)
    Language (English) - Default.
    Language (Spanish) - 1 (TN 6)
    Large Weapon - 1 (TN 10)
    Survival (Urban) - 1 (TN 11)
    16 points.

Songs.
    Corporeal, Ethereal, and Celestial songs of Healing, each at 1.
    3 points.

Derived stats. Body (Tommy): 54, Mind: 10, Spirit: 24
    Weapons.
    Fists. TN 18 (3 Corporeal forces + 9 STR + 6 fighting), Power +6 (-3 power +6 TN overkill, +1 STR, +1 skill, +1 Gloves)
    Kick. TN 17 (3 Corporeal forces + 9 STR + 6 fighting -1 acc), Power +5 (-2 power +5 TN overkill, +1 STR, +1 skill)
    16-lb Home Depot Sledgehammer. TN 11 (3 Corporeal forces + 9 STR + 1 skill -2 acc), Power +6 (+6 power) (used halberd stats from angelic player's guide).
    Ethereal attack. TN 13 (2 Ethereal forces + 5 INT + 6 fighting), Power +1 (+1 TN overkill).
    Celestial attack. TN 16 (4 Celestial forces + 6 WIL + 6 fighting), Power +4 (+4 TN overkill)

Other Stuff.
    Daily clothes. Hoodies and sweaters, has a nice leather coat. Protection 2
    Fancy clothes. Tailored three piece suit with appropriate bling and mandarin collared shirt. The vest is a tailored second chance vest. Protection 3, 4 vs. firearms
    Car. A 2012 Chrysler 300C, registered in California, license plate "SL3DG3"
    Tommy's little black book. Tommy keeps a small black moleskine notebook in his pocket. It's written in some unintelligible scribble (angelic writing), but it keeps a neat ledger of his outstanding transactions, his notes, and a small 3x5 card with his talking points for his next checkup with Dominic.

Spoiler: Joanna Honeycutt
    Show

Joanna Honeycutt. Goes by Josie.
    Human, 5 forces.

Forces:
    Corporeal. 2 forces. Strength 3, Agility 5.
    Ethereal. 2 forces. Intelligence 6, Precision 2.
    Celestial. 1 forces. Will 3, Perception 1.

Resources.
    Role: Joanna M. Honeycutt, Esq. - Public Defender, Star Valley Court. Status 4. Josie is a public defender at the City Court and member of the State Bar of California. She's worked this job for about a year and a half, after graduating law school at USC and passing the bar. She also runs some pro bono cases, usually in consult with Astarieth, and some civil matters for extra money. She has a nice status from her trust fund - her legal business isn't paying big, and she's fine with that. She didn't join the profession for the money. 6 points.

Vessel: Josie Honeycutt. Charisma 2. Joanna is 27 years old, attractive, bright, and trying to maintain her athleticsm. She played tennis in high school and college, and runs when she's off work. She dresses professionally and modestly.4 points.

Skills.
    Driving - 1 (TN 3)
    Fast Talk - 6 (TN 9)
    Language (English) - Default.
    Language (Spanish) - 1 (TN 7)
    Language (Korean) - 1 (TN 7)
    Running - 1 (TN 6)
    10 points.

Spoiler: The Interview
    Show
    1. State your names, your Choir, and your Superior. Astarieth. Seraphim. Dominic, Archangel of Judgment.
    2. How old are you and what is your first memory after your creation? I am 498 years old. My first memory after creation was observing the thirty years' war from Heaven, the destruction of Magdeburg, and the chaos that gripped society at every level afterwards.
    3. What is your fondest memory? The first time I saw a human sacrifice himself for a person he did not know. A human stopped to administer CPR to another, and halfway through the process had a heart attack. While tragic, it was also inspiring.
    4. What is it about your Superior and their Word that appeals to you so much? The insecure see "judgment" as the act of pronouncing a sentence - declaring something good or evil - and are afraid it will be done to them. The fact is that the judgment lies in all that goes before that act - understanding, compassion, and truth.
    5. What is your view on Discordant and overly Dissonant Angels? They are having problems, and need help to find themselves.
    6. If a friend of yours became an Outcast, would you turn them in? Yes. We are all on the same team - if an angel becomes Outcast then they need to be brought back into the fold.
    7. What are the top three things you appreciate about the Corporeal World? Humans. Mexican food. The weather in California.
    8. What are the three things you dislike the most about the Corporeal World? Humans. East coast rap. The DMV.
    9. Tell me three moments of your life that defined who you are today? One. The first time I got jumped. Humans may be weak, but weakness doesn't matter if they get the first hit and never let up. Two. The first demon I found. After watching so many good people default on their debt, I found behind it a demon that was feeding their addiction. It changed my struggle from dealing with the lies and sin of weak people to finding an adversary behind them, trying to make them weaker. Three. The first time I failed Dominic. I took a chance on an outcast, trusting them to report in, to keep in touch, to come back to the fold on their own time and at their own will. But she was too far gone. Dominic's wrath was complete, stern, and entirely justified. Took me 84 years to get another assignment.
    10. If you had to listen to one mortal song on repeat for a whole day, which would it be? And what style of music do you like the most out of all the human genre’s? West coast rap, specifically the ballad "No Diggity." Nate Dogg's voice is like a bow drawn across the strings of the soul.
    11. Tell me two moments of your life you regret. One during your time in the Celestial Realm, and one during your time in the Corporeal World. I mentioned before the time I failed Dominic, and took a chance on an outcast. That's the biggest regret. That happened in the corporeal realm. I also regret the years afterwards, pacing around the Halls of Judgement while doing menial chores, as wasted time - dwelling on, raging against my punishment. Wasted time. Could have accepted what was due, understood it, and improved. Took far too long.
    12. How do you feel about God’s abandonment of Heaven and the Angels? God's will is absolute. I do not put my own will in God's place. Inshallah, God will return.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-11 at 07:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hi there, just checking - are you still interested in (re)recruiting people for this? :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Still re-recruiting, yes.

That's a neat take on a Servitor of Dominic. Not in the usual vein, which is good (given that a standard Dominican probably makes for a poor PC) and works.

What's the rank of your Servant? I'd think she'd cost 2 points as a mortal (4) at rank 1 (1), so the cost being 4*1/2 = 2 points. Unless you want her as rank 2 to be worse-able to resist your orders (not that it seems it'd matter a lot.) Does she know you're an angel? Yes or no is fine, but I'd recommend Yes for ease of explaining stuff, especially as a seraph.

Also, based on your char-sheet, you sound like you're proficient with the system and its mechanics. I just want to make sure you know you have about a 50% chance of your Resonance working at TN 6. I'm cool with that if you are, but I don't want you to feel disappointed in-game.

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    That's a neat take on a Servitor of Dominic. Not in the usual vein, which is good (given that a standard Dominican probably makes for a poor PC) and works.
    Thanks! Been thinking about this character concept for a while. Will be fun to try - think you could learn a lot as a Seraph in that line of work. (In my head, Tommy is kind of like a Latino version of Stringer Bell from 'The Wire'). Also looking forward to the moral complications of being a good guy who does what he does. It was a toss-up between David and Dominic for him, but Dominic feels better, and I really think Dominic gets villainized in the source materiel.

What's the rank of your Servant? I'd think she'd cost 2 points as a mortal (4) at rank 1 (1), so the cost being 4*1/2 = 2 points. Unless you want her as rank 2 to be worse-able to resist your orders (not that it seems it'd matter a lot.) Does she know you're an angel? Yes or no is fine, but I'd recommend Yes for ease of explaining stuff, especially as a seraph.
    Misread the rules, and corrected. Joanna is class 4, rank 1. Joanna knows he is an angel, which is why she's willing to associate with such a thug.

Also, based on your char-sheet, you sound like you're proficient with the system and its mechanics. I just want to make sure you know you have about a 50% chance of your Resonance working at TN 6. I'm cool with that if you are, but I don't want you to feel disappointed in-game.
    I was familiar with the system, 20-something years ago when it came out and I was a teenager. Getting re-familiarized to join this game. I appreciate the suggestions, and reworked the character sheet to bump his Celestial forces. Astarieth needs to be able to rely on his resonance in his line of work. Ended up dumping a corporeal force and a level of status, and bumping his vessel level to keep him as a corporeal badass.

Corrected in the original post, relinked here.

Please let me know if Astarieth makes it into the game and if you have any more suggestions.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-11 at 03:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by robnar View Post
    I was familiar with the system, 20-something years ago when it came out and I was a teenager. Getting re-familiarized to join this game. I appreciate the suggestions, and reworked the character sheet to bump his Celestial forces. Astarieth needs to be able to rely on his resonance in his line of work. Ended up dumping a corporeal force and a level of status, and bumping his vessel level to keep him as a corporeal badass.

Corrected in the original post, relinked here.

Please let me know if Astarieth makes it into the game and if you have any more suggestions.
    He's in. A couple comments on your combat stats.
    Fists. TN 18 (3 Corporeal forces + 9 STR + 6 fighting), Power +5 (-3 power +6 TN overkill, +1 STR, +1 skill)
    Kick. TN 17 (3 Corporeal forces + 9 STR + 6 fighting -1 acc), Power +5 (-2 power +5 TN overkill, +1 STR, +1 skill)
    16-lb Home Depot Sledgehammer. TN 16 (3 Corporeal forces + 9 STR + 6 fighting -2 acc), Power +11 (+6 power +4 TN overkill, +1 skill) (used halberd stats from angelic player's guide).
    Fists and Kick are correct. Note that you get a +1 to Power again if you wear a glove or reinforced boot.
    For the sledgehammer, you'd use the Large Weapon skill instead of Fighting to determine your accuracy. So I think the final stats would be
    Accuracy: 3 Corporeal + 9 Strength + 1 Skill - 2 penalty = TN 11
    Power: just +6 for the base weapon.
    Having a high skill rank only improves damage for unarmed combat, as an offset to the penalties for unarmed combat.

An amusing thing of high rank Fighting is that your fists (if gloved) do as much damage as a sledgehammer. Angels are neat mechanically, if not always intuitive

Note: for armor, we're using some homebrew rules I made (in my signature). I also wrote up a way to do nonlethal damage to Noiselessly KO humans. But your Role should help a lot with Noise.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    He's in.
    Sweet. I'll introduce myself in the OOC thread.

For the sledgehammer, you'd use the Large Weapon skill instead of Fighting to determine your accuracy. So I think the final stats would be
    Accuracy: 3 Corporeal + 9 Strength + 1 Skill - 2 penalty = TN 11
    Power: just +6 for the base weapon.
    Having a high skill rank only improves damage for unarmed combat, as an offset to the penalties for unarmed combat.
    Ah, was not tracking. Edited the character sheet to reflect. Either way he'll keep the sledgehammer, he just knows what tools are more effective... Also made a slight edit to make sure he has driving skill (though he's not a champ). No way to function in California in his role without a car.

Tracking the homebrew rules. He'll wear a coat if necessary, and he has a second chance vest (light kevlar vest) for when it's appropriate in his line of work. The vest is tailored to look nice with his suit.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-11 at 02:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

@Jeen - Updated character sheet with a small entry for Joanna Honeycutt. Let me know if you'd prefer to make her, but otherwise here's what I'd thought of for her.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

@ other prospective players: I'm letting robnar start his character soon IC as he's done, but you are still welcome to join. Just touch base back with me.

EDIT: In case it helps with char-gen, here are some backup characters I built for another game. To give some ideas.

Spoiler: Nanaki, Malakim of Animals
    Show

Nanaki was originally a cherub serving under Love. Like his former master, he was chagrined with mankind’s abuse of one another. And the events in Eden were disturbing. However, he was as disgusted with the fallen angels as he was with humanity. How dare they rebel against God!? In his fury, he became a Malakite. And fight he did. He fought valiantly during the Rebellion with a wild abandon, but felt listless after the war settled. He found kinship with Jordi both in sentiment about mankind and demons. Back when Jordi was on friendly terms with Michael, he would fight fairly regularly alongside angels of War. But as mankind’s wars and overpopulation grew, he was withdrawn.

Eventually, he found himself amongst the native tribes of North America, and operated there as a sort of guide. Regaining some of the mirth he had under Love, he fashioned himself both as trickster spirit and a protective totem. He helped foster love and veneration of animals, pushing tribes towards animisitic religions.

However, during the colonial period, he again began to despair. Pretending to be an ethereal, he helped fight Christian angels and colonial demons. But, in the end, it was for naught. With bloodied vessels and a wounded soul, he returned to heaven as his last human allies died and the lands they protected were ravaged.

If not that he was Malakim, some secret parts of him whisper, he may have found himself in the courts of Baal, Belial, or Saminga, whoever would let him still kill the encroaching humans.

In Heaven, over a couple centuries, he eventually became friends with some Malakim of War and the Sword, and got permission to return to earth to fight alongside them. It wasn't the glorious defense of nature that he cherished, but it felt good to eat the flesh of demons. He began to care again. For the last century, he has traveled western Canada, protecting nature (especially native wolf populations) when he can and fighting demons otherwise.

He enjoys fighting as a monstrous wolf-beast, with a long tongue dripping saliva, and a fleshly tail covered in razor-sharp barbs. He probably is the source of some werewolf-like beasts from Native American legend.

Favored tactics
    The most basic is charging in as a wolf with Numinous Corpus active. His Choir Attunement makes it so his wolf form doesn’t disturb the Symphony, so he can fight freely.

He also likes to possess demons and have them suicide.

Vessels
    His human vessel is a fit male with shoulder-length dark brown hair in a ponytail, dark brown eyes, a 5’-o’clock shadow scruff on his neck. His skin tone shows strong Native American blood, such as tribes near colonial America. He tends to dress in blue jeans and simple flannel shirts. He wears gloves and steel-toed boots.

His favored vessel is a wolfhound, with some dog blood in its heritage to help it blend in a bit when active among humans. Its fur is almost white, just a touch of grey, with waves of brown around the face.

Servant
    Michelle Brintley, age 23, flighty wanna-be eco-terrorist
    Michelle’s parents were environmental activist hippies, but more talk and doing mild drugs than actual action. She ‘joined’ the Earth Liberation Front while in high school by burning down a few construction sites, earning her a stint in Juvie. After she got out, she was angry at her parents for their lack of conviction and left home, eventually winding up in Ontario.

When she was 19, she found Nanaki. He was in human form, speaking about the native wolf populations. And she thought he was cute. They talked, slept together, and became friends. Her enthusiasm for action, even violent action, to protect nature resonated with the Malakim.
    In time, he got permission to take her as a Servant and inform her of the truth.

It was definitely a different version of the Truth than most angels would tell. Yes, it involved God, and he mentioned many angels worship God as the Christian or Muslim God, but he spoke more of the beauty of God’s Creation. Let other angels handle mankind, those of his lot were to protect nature. She was enthralled.

They’re still lovers, though he doesn’t care if she sleeps with others. Sometimes he asks her to look into something or someone, and she chooses to do so by seducing them. He doesn’t particularly care for that, but he’s okay with it: he sees both himself and her as tools to preserve nature. He does want to do so by fostering a concern for it in mankind – some remnants of serving Love still survive – but he’s more than willing for men to be used or killed if that’s what it takes. She also helps him navigate the human world.

Forces (Corporeal 1 / Ethereal 2 / Celestial 2)
    Str 2 / Agil 2, Int 3 / Pre 5, Will 5 / Perc 3
    Status 1 (waitress) – no cost
    Charisma – 2 points
    Comp Ops 1
    Driving 2
    Knowledge (Nature) 2
    Fast-Talk 4
    Seduction 3
    Medicine 2
    Survival 1
    Throwing 3

Spoiler: Brinniah, Seraph of Flowers
    Show

Brininiah (Bri-nee-nigh-ah) was created as a lowly Servitor of The War, to serve under one of Baal’s Knights in Europe. She was not created to work as a normal warrior. Instead, she was crafted and tasked with filling in for tasks when Andrealphus servitors could not be trusted or were not available. Between her ability to weave false symphonies, her skills at social manipulation and seduction, and (during the modern age, when she also made a replacement for untrustworthy demons of Technology) her computer abilities, she did much to sow chaos among mortals and collect intelligence for the War.

Over the centuries, she rose in esteem, eventually being given more freedom. But, with it, she also gained a new perspective. She was tired of the fruitless war, and didn’t see much point in the struggles between Baal and Michael, between demons and the heavenly host. Instead of just looking down on mortals or taking out her frustration on them, she started to sympathize with them: she was struggling to make her own way much like they were.

It didn’t take her long to realize that such an attitude was deadly, if either Baal or the Game found out.

During a mission she was half-heartedly performing, she died and lost her vessel. Once she recovered from Trauma, she realized that a bad fate likely was waiting for her once Baal checked in. Maybe it was pure luck he wasn’t there to chastise her when she awoke. Maybe it was Destiny.

She broke her Heart, then fled. She lost a Force or two in the process, but eventually made her way to a small Tether’s locus in hell. The Seneschal was friendly to her and didn’t know what she had done, so he just let her pass through. (She felt a little bad about what would probably happen to him, but he was a bit of a jerk, to be honest.) She assumed her secondary vessel of a pretty college girl, collected what she could of her stuff, then fled the city. Given her vessel’s age, she wound up living in a university about a day’s ride from Paris, posing as a former student.

At first, she planned on just living as a Renegade, making her own way. She could lie and hack, and could make a comfortable life. She did try to help humans along from time-to-time. Definitely not living selflessly, but not as bad as she used to be. It was a good life and lasted a few years.

But, seemingly by happenstance, she was sensed by a Malakim and he saw her darkest deeds. Fortunately for her, he was a Malakim of Flowers. He, in his role as a professor, approached her and asked her to come with him. She went along, thinking him human and sure she could talk herself free if needed, and found herself brought to a small garden at the university that was a Tether of Flowers. With the Malakim blocking the exit, the Seneschal explained her situation. It summed up to Redemption or Inquisition.

Her last act as a Balseraph was lying to herself, making herself believe she was willing to risk celestial death in order to be Redeemed. In retrospect, Novalis’ sad smile likely meant she saw through the deception, but she nonetheless accepted Beniniah’s words. The agony was indescribable, but she survived.

She stayed a Seraph of Flowers. Novalis altered her vessel slightly – akin to plastic surgery – to help her hide from Baal and the Game, and fabricated a new role for her in the United States.

Brittany Brintley, as her vessel now goes by, is a graduate student of computer technology and programming. She definitely doesn’t look the part, other than wearing glasses: she’s a 6’1 gorgeous blond with perfect curves, and her French accent certainly has an attractive appeal. She’s been at the school for years, but seems content to just study and keep working on her Master’s (or is it her second or third?), and is always eager to help the down-on-their-luck with projects or bolster their self-image. On the angelic front, she’s protecting the students of the university and, when needed, using her hacking skills to gather intelligence for the angels in town. Her deepest desire is to lead other demons to Heaven, though sometimes she does wish to just enjoy life’s joys; fortunately, that often is in harmony with Novalis’ Word.

Recently, her Malakim friend put her in touch with Mercy, in light of the Balsersph Mercy was helping towards Redemption and the escalation of conflict in Los Angeles. Perhaps Brittany can help. And the university there does have an interesting IT program. A semester ‘abroad’ might do good for her studies.

Mechanics: Corporeal 2 / Ethereal 4 / Celestial 3. She mostly relies on her Seraph of Flowers attunement to keep people from hurting her, but also knows the Ethereal Song of Harmony. When in a tight spot, or if seeing a known demon or Soldier of Hell, she’ll often use Ethereal Attraction to draw them to her side and try to lead them to a Tether. When truly forced into conflict, she uses Ethereal Entropy to render them unconscious or Ethereal Form to help her escape. She specializes in Computer Operations, Fast-Talk, and Seduction, and augments the latter two with Ethereal and Celestial Charm when needed.

Native language is French, but her English is pretty good (1 skill point allocated, but Int 10 means a TN of 11, so she’s almost flawless in execution.)

Spoiler: Meguilliel, Kyriotate of Destiny
    Show

I can't find my old build for him, but the inspiration for Meguilliel in-game was this character. Besides, I shouldn't share his stats since they are very similar to the in-game Meguilliel.
    A kyriotate who was a shedite of The Game, but eventually repented. A monster in celestial combat who eventually realized there was more to existence than killing wayward demons and corrupting mortals whenever Asmodeus gave him time off. Joined Destiny because, though he still wants to kill demons (just bad ones now instead of Renegades), he wanted to do something more important than just killing. Hence Destiny instead of War or The Sword.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-13 at 02:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hey JeenLeen!

Is this still re-recruiting, as I would love to play an In Nomine game, though I am also a complete novice to the system. I'm not even sure I have a copy of the rulebook (I've held off getting it until I know I have a game to play in!) but I will probably still need a bit of help if there's still a space!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowImmor View Post
    Hey JeenLeen!

Is this still re-recruiting, as I would love to play an In Nomine game, though I am also a complete novice to the system. I'm not even sure I have a copy of the rulebook (I've held off getting it until I know I have a game to play in!) but I will probably still need a bit of help if there's still a space!
    There are still slots open.
    I have some details of char-gen at https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...95&postcount=5. It was for another game, but I'm using the same rules.