New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons 2: The Thrushmoor Terror [IC]

"I didn't say we didn't have no books, ya' daft ifgit!" she barks at the pretty human with the gaudy red boots. "I ain't trying ta' figure what you mean. You ask for a library, we ain't got none. But we had a bookshop I think is closed down, and they have books up in High Mart last time I checked!"
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair paused for a second and took another breath. "Okay, I got off on the wrong foot. I am looking for books, especially about history and folklore. Where in town would I best look to find them?"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #813

"Iris Hill or the Old Manor, I'd suspect," she says, dialing it back a half-notch.

Does anyone else think they might want something here or have a question?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Seeing that Flair has finished his discussion with the proprietor, Jens steps forward and asks, "Excuse me, might you know where one could purchase armor? Preferably leather or anything on the lighter side."

5. - Top - End - #815

She shakes her head. "Like I said. Weapons .... and armor ... are for nobles and mercenaries. This is a fishing town, and the old Count brought supplies and his strange mercenaries in from elsewhere."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

"Unfortunate," Jens says upon hearing that armor may be in some class of restricted good, "I had been hoping to find some considering, as you said, things are running amok in the night. Well... if armor is off the table for purchase. Flair, if this thurible would be important enough for your rituals I can give up enough of my share to cover the difference I think."

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume bobs his head in respect.
    “Any chance you have seen some companions of ours that have gone missing? The first is a good looking human with a short beard and brown hair wearing wet clothes (describe Wren’s clothing) and a pale skinned elvish woman named Maeni. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!”

Spoiler: crunch
    Show
    diplomacy check. Use affable trait. +2 bonus
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2021-02-24 at 08:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair thinks on Jens' offer. "Okay, I can do that." he says, and gets the needed funds out of the group treasury. "I will repay you as soon as I can." He then offers the artisan her stated price for the thurible.

9. - Top - End - #819

So, the party gold and platinum is split so that everyone gets 1 platinum and 20 gp (including the accumulating party bank).

Flair then spends his 1 platinum and 20 gp, and then Jens gives back 20 gp of his own to cover the remainder. Kletta goes and gets the thurible, and it is curiously heavy, but at least attractive and solidly made. Weighing 3 pounds, it is something he has to hold under his arm for now as he doesn't have any kind of container.

"Thanks for your coin," she says noticeably more cheery (which means not by much) before looking to Brother Jaume. "They ain't pass through my store."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair nods. "This should do nicely. Thank you very much. If you do run into them, let them know we're staying at the Silver Wagon and we'd like to see them." And with that, he turns to go.

Once they're a fair distance away, Flair will address the party. "Okay, well, that's what we had planned until around sundown. I'm going to see if I can get some research materials up on Iris Hill, but since we'll be passing the inn anyway, I'll drop this thing off there," he said gesturing to his recent acquisition, "as well as any of you that want to hole up there until the evening; searching through books isn't everyone's cup of tea."

11. - Top - End - #821

Dorn thinks, partly chewing his lips from the inside as he purses them. "I'll go with you, Flair. We haven't been to Iris Hill yet."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume agrees to visit Iris Hill. Perhaps they will find their wayward companions along the way.
    “Sure! I am ready to explore.”

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

"Best we all stick together," Jens says to Flair's suggestion of splitting the party, "Given our track record there will likely be something seeking to devour our souls or otherwise threaten our lives and limbs at this Iris Hill, and I won't stomach you dying while indebted to me Flair."

Jens joins Flair on his (mis)adventure for knowledge.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair smirks. "Noted. No dying until after I pay you back." Once he gets back to the inn, he will give the thurible a thorough inspection before heading off to the manor.

15. - Top - End - #825

Iris Hill stands ominously atop a hill on the northwestern edge of town. Although it has fallen into a state of disrepair, the manor and its annexed buildings are by far the most impressive civilian structures within Thrushmoor.

Weeds have sprung up throughout the estate’s grounds, spreading out to colonize the place for themselves. Crows stand sentry on the building’s eaves, periodically calling out their dreadful squawks and eyeing passersby. There is a 10-foot-high hedge around Iris Hill.

Breaking the thick hedge that surrounds the estate, this squat building sports a pair of heavy wooden doors bearing a small sliding hatch. This squat gatehouse seems to be the only point of access to the hedge-enclosed grounds of the estate (other than hacking through the hedge or climbing or flying over it).

What do you do?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair approaches the gatehouse to ask about visiting; no need for breaking and entering if it could be avoided.

17. - Top - End - #827

There is nobody outside the gatehouse, so nobody to ask about visiting.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume will pound on the gates loudly and shout.
    “Hello!”

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon seeing the gatepost empty, Flair pauses. He then turns around, heading back to the party. "No, I don't think so. If this place has books that will help my research, they'll be there after we recover our goods tomorrow. I'm not going to lead you all into a potentially lethal situation in there just because I want something to read."

20. - Top - End - #830

The 6" x 10" sliding door at eye-level opens up: Ssssh-clank. A rough-looking man looks out and in a gravely voice says, "Go away."

And with that, the sssh-clink-clak sounds again as the panel is shut and locked.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair nodded to himself as he turned back down the road. "Okay, that makes it official. We're still on assignment for the Sleepless Detective Agency, and they definitely won't condone us breaking in here just so I can get some reading material. Let's head on back and wait to hire our ride for the morning."

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ shrugs at the change of plan but his brow wrinkles in frustration at Flair’s suggestion at their next course of action.
    “We need to be lookin’ for our lost fellows in the interim. I suggest a visit to the chapel where we picked up Wren. May be that he returned to familiar haunts after the pier.”

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair groaned. He really wasn't looking forward to having to admit to Winter that he lost Wren. But not talking about things wouldn't fix them, and it's not like they had a schedule to keep. "Okay, fine. Let's go check in at the chapel."

24. - Top - End - #834

The party returns to New Chapel .... sans Wren.

Now what?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume will search out Winter and see if she has news of the lost lambs Wren and Maeni.

26. - Top - End - #836

"Wait, Wren's gone, too?!" Winter exclaims.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair buries his head for a moment before continuing. "Yeah, I don't know what to say. Apparently he was terrified of drowning, because within seconds of hitting the water, he cast something and just disappeared. I think it was something that turned him to mist, but with the rain beating down on the surf, it was impossible to tell." He rubbed his brow, weariness clear in his voice. If there's a seat to slump down into, he'll sit, otherwise he leans against the wall. "Dio, it was so much easier in the asylum. Yeah, things were actively trying to devour us, but you can fight back against monsters; you have a straightforward line of attack. Out here," he spread his arm as if to indicate the entirety of the world around him. "Out here, everything is mysteries and setbacks. Most of my team is still underequipped because of us having to flee that giant. I've now had two members of my party seemingly go mad and flee to who knows where."

"The point is, I'm tired of everything I touch falling to crap."
    He sighed wistfully. "What I wouldn't give for a fully stocked library, a slew of books to focus on; do some research, just get back to what I'm good at rather than risking my neck trying to figure out whatever is behind this strangeness in town." He looked up, relaxing his neck. "But this is a boonie fishing town. There's no proper library, and the closest thing to one I've heard of is in that manor on Iris Hill, but they clearly aren't interested in letting people traipse in for some reading material."

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"So far it was simply because I wanted to see why I was sent here. But now it is clear that Wren needs my help : it is personal now."

What sounded like cautious curiosity in her rasped voice earlier now sounds like grim determination, as she grins.

"Well, then we have a giant to take care of, I guess ?"
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

29. - Top - End - #839

"If it weren't for the fact there was a job to do," begins Winter to Flair, "I'd say you need to take a day off to include having a one-hour therapy session with me, just for starters."

Then, to the rest, "Krisztina is doing much better than before. Corbin is as well, but I think he is closer to trauma so I don't recommend that. But, while Ms. Marquering does benefit from daily sessions and care, the sedentary nature of being here with nothing to do - and her madness of delirium when it happens being a sedentary one - is worrisome. It might do her well to get out, if you asked her."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair shook his head "I'll tell you about it later, but hopefully it will have moved on by now." He then turned to Winter. "If you feel that a more active lifestyle would help Ms Marquering, I wouldn't say no to the help. Speaking of which," he paused, almost reticent to continue, but pushing forward regardless "Therapy sounds like it's worth a try. If you could fit me in your schedule today, I'd be willing to give it a go."