New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons 2: The Thrushmoor Terror [IC]

Jens

Unable to see, Jens will attempt to treat his new eye condition.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Basically trying to remove the condition. Not sure if this is possible and if possible what check or roll or action it would be. Guesses include spending a full round action to rub dirt out of eyes or attempting some kind of heal check.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, the entangle effect continues to grasp at the heroes' limbs. Brother Jaume is already entangled. Maeni, possessing the worst reflexes in the group, has made several valiant efforts, but it was a matter of time. Maeni is held fast to her location and entangled.

R5T6: Unable to see, Jens attempts to treat his new eye condition. After several seconds, he is successful!
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Make no mistake, if someone suffers an effect because of a fumble or critical condition, it is always okay to ask. Sometimes, as you have dealt with in the past, it requires full-on surgery, which can't be done in-battle, and other times it is a Heal check just for a quick tend-to-wound like now.

End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ...

R6T20:
    Dorn calls on Torag's favor to allow him to double-hammer the vine again. He hits it for 9 on the first swing, but misses the second.

R6T19: Maeni, you ran out of luck, and now you cannot move out of your square and you are entangled. What do you do?

Flair on deck, Brother Jaume in the hole (entangled) ...
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not in a position to move back to heal, Maeni prefers prevention again.

"Jaume, it's your turn this time !"

Show
    Casting grease on Jaume this time. I'm lacking other options if it resists fire :/
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

4. - Top - End - #274

R6T19: Not in a position to move back to heal, Maeni prefers prevention again. "Jaume, it's your turn this time!" And with that, Maeni casts grease on Brother Jaume.

R6T17: Flair, what do you do, oh greasy one (now of two)?

Brother Jaume on deck, assassin vine in the hole ...
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ will attempt move forward and pummel this grasping vine. If unable to move forward, he will channel for healing.
    Spoiler
    Show

five foot step forward to break the entangled condition using strength.
    if successful:full attack action punching the vine-flurry+PA+ki point for additional attack. All strikes are ki strikes.
    strike#1
    to hit - (1d20+6)[25]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[16]
    Strike#2
    to hit - (1d20+6)[24]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[13]
    Strike#3
    to hit - (1d20+6)[15]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[12]
    If still in same spot, channel positive energy for healing

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair held back; it would be a few seconds until the energy he expended with his first hit returned, so he waited until it did and an opportunity arose.
    Show
    I think my Major ability returns next round (I'll have to check later). I will hold my action, as there is nothing I can do to be helpful at the moment. I really should have gotten my crossbow back.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #277

R6T17: Flair held back; it would be a few seconds until the energy he expended with his first hit returned, so he waited until it did and an opportunity arose.

R6T15: BJ breaks free with some effort, and then slogs forward to confront the vine, but in doing so the tendril lashes out at him, striking his lower left arm for 13, but that turns out to be too small a place to grab abhold of the friar again with too thick a vine. It is all Brother Jaume can do just to get to the creature, and is mighty bloody in doing so.
    Show
    Emphasis and precedence was given to breaking out and closing (and hitting if possible). The "then" statement was if he didn't free himself.

It took a move action to free himself, and since the area is difficult terrain, there is no "5-foot-step." You moved 5', but it cost 10' of movement and opened up an AOO.

R6T11: With someone so close to hurting it and that prey having been tasty previously, the assassin vine attacks Brother Jaume again, slamming a tendril against his chest for 10, knocking Brother Jaume limp. The tendril holds the body of Brother Jaume, and though greasy, it manages to keep ahold of its unmoving and helpless prey.

The grasses and strands of the tidal pool continue to hold Maeni, but catch nobody else (almost Dorn, though).

R6T6: Jens, Brother Jaume is limp in the grasp of the assassin vine. You have no idea of his status beyond that. What do you do?

Dorn on deck, Maeni in the hole ...
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Working quickly, Jens forcefully joins the unconscious form of Brother Jaume into the collective along with everybody else. He then unleashes a torrent of mental power in an attempt to keep Jaume alive.

Spoiler: Collective
    Show
    "I have Jaume, if you have a method of self healing, use it and I can funnel it all into him. If you don't then Kill the plant."

Show
    Move action: Expend Psionic Focus to use Unwilling Participant as a move action to get Jaume into the collective. Since he is Unconscious I believe he auto fails his save.

Standard Action: Manifest Defensively to Manifest Vigor with 4 PP to give Jaume 20 THP.
    Concentration Check: (1d20+8)[17] vs DC 17 (15+2x1st level power)

9. - Top - End - #279

R6T6: Working quickly, Jens forcefully joins the unconscious form of Brother Jaume into the collective along with everybody else. He then unleashes a torrent of mental power in an attempt to keep Jaume alive.
    Spoiler: Jens >>> Collective
    Show
    "I have Jaume, if you have a method of self healing, use it and I can funnel it all into him. If you don't then Kill the plant."
    A copper smell permeates the area, and a viscous red fluid that reseembles blood coats the immediate area around Jens. The smell and sight of blood dissipates within a round, leaving no trace.

End Round 6, Begin Round 7 ...

R7T20:
    Dorn touches his hand to his chest, and the energy Jens redistributes to Brother Jaume to provide him with 4 healing, which is enough so that Brother Jaume's actual physical capacity is brought to a point that he is no longer bleeding out or disabled (something a bulwark of temporary hit points do NOT do, as it is not "healing"). He then calls on Torag for the Dwarffather's favor for more battle focus. He hits the vine for 8 and then lightly for 4.

R7T19: Maeni, you are currently entangled and held in place by various tidal grasses and roots in the grotto. What do you do?

Flair on deck, Brother Jaume in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-06-14 at 08:40 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Lacking other efficient options, Maeni also sends healing energy through the collective, then tries to break the grasp of the vines.

Show
    So basically, casting cure light wounds on Jaume through the collective, then move action to the left to try to break the vines.

Cure light wounds - (1d8+3)[4]

Strength - (1d20+2)[7]
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

11. - Top - End - #281

R7T19: Lacking other efficient options, Maeni barely manages to concentrate as necessary to cast a spell to send 4 healing to Brother Jaume. She then tries to muscle her way out of the mire, but fails.
    Spoiler: ALCON: Casting While Entangled
    Show
    Casting a spell (or using a power, or a SLA/PLA) while entangled requires a concentration check = 15+spell level. I rolled '9' for Maeni, which is a result of 17, which is right on the money, so it was a really challenging effort for Maeni.

R7T17: Flair, you are almost getting a headache as your mind continues to surge. What do you do?

Brother Jaume (now conscious, grappled, entangled, and greased) on deck, assassin vine in the hole ...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair reached down to grab a stone from the ground. If he could get a stone, he could channel Gaston's force though it and do some damage.
    Show
    Strength check to get a rock. (1d20)[12]. I don't think I can boost a ability check with inspiration Turns out I can spend an Inspiration on an ability check. I will spend the inspiration if the result is a 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 (1d6)[3]

13. - Top - End - #283

R7T17: Flair reached down to grab a stone from the ground. If he could get a stone, he could channel Gaston's force though it and do some damage. He wrestles a creeper that has a nice-looking rock, studies how the plant moves, and then cleverly wrenches the stone free. Flair now has a good throwing rock in his hand.

R7T15: Brother Jaume, you briefly lost consciousness. You are awake again, but you are also still grappled and entangled (but still greased). What do you do?

Assassin vine on deck, Jens in the hole ...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Wise Erastil, heal thy servant so the he may continue to fight for order!”
    A burst of Devine radiance bathes BJ and everyone around in a golden glow of positive energy.
    Spoiler
    Show

channel energy to heal
    (2d6)[10]
    no move action

15. - Top - End - #285

R7T15: “Wise Erastil, heal thy servant so the he may continue to fight for order!” A burst of divine radiance bathes BJ and everyone around (including the assassin vine) in a golden glow of positive energy for 10 healing, and fully healing Jens.

R7T11: Brother Jaume greasily slips out of the vine's grasp despite it trying to get ahold of the friar, though he is still entangled.

Flair is now entangled by the grasping vegetation (despite being greased)!

R7T6: Jens, what do you do?

Dorn on deck, Maeni in the hole ...
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Spoiler: Collective
    Show
    "No one's dying anymore? Good. Resume gardening again."

Jens Focuses on the elemental earth and blasts it toward the Vine.

Show
    Standard Action: Earth Blast on the vine. Provokes AoO should it decide to take one.

Attack: (1d20+7)[23] likely -4 for firing into melee unless I can aim at a section of the vine at least 10ft away from someone.
    Damage: (2d6+7)[11] Slashing Damage

17. - Top - End - #287

R7T6:
    Spoiler: Jens >>> Collective
    Show
    "No one's dying anymore? Good. Resume gardening again."
    Jens focuses on the elemental earth and blasts it toward the vine as he jumps aside of its counterattack. Sharp flechettes of rock hit the creature for 11.

End Round 7, Begin Round 8 ...

R8T20:
    Dorn continues to call on Torag for His favor. A tendril bats away the first attack, but the second skips off enough to do 4 (min). Dorn then sends 1 healing to Brother Jaume.

R8T19: Maeni, you are entangled by plants. What do you do?

Flair on deck, Brother Jaume in the hole ...
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair will attempt to slip free of the vines. If her get into position, be could throw the stone he'd grabbed earlier and use that to deliver Gaston's destructive energy.
    Show
    MA; I attempt to free myself via Escape Artist.
    0 ranks +1 (Dex), -2 (penalties from Entangled) +10 (grease)
    (1d20+9)[25]. If the result is 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, or 19, I will spend 1 Inspiration (1d6)[2]
    If that is successful, I will throw the rock at the Vine, using Gaston's Major Ability. I don't know how
    (1d20+1)[5] Use Inspiration if it seems like it'd help. (1d6)[2]. Damage is whatever the rock does + (2d6)[10]
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-17 at 12:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Maeni tries to get out of the tangles to reposition herself.

Show
    Basically, gotta try to break out of the entangle twice if needed, end turn otherwise without spending my standard action otherwise. The goal is to go directly behind Jaume.

20. - Top - End - #290

R8T19: Maeni tries to get out of the tangles to reposition herself. Alas, it takes her two tries to rip out of the tangles with brute strength. But she does. And it may remind others in the group that the pale-skinned .... whatever she is .... is actually stronger than she looks. The difficult terrain keeps her from moving any farther, though.

R8T17: Flair easily slides free of the vines, and throws the stone at the far western edge of the vine that he could see, his clothes glowing as he does so. but the difficulty of the shot and all of the mitigating factors working against him almost tripping due to his own recoil, but his mind keeps him from falling!
    Show
    Your INT was used, instead of your CON, on the Fort save vs. fumble effect, and succeeded.

R8T15: Brother Jaume, you are no longer grappled, but you are entangled and have not your lit-staff in hand. You are also greased. What do you do?

Assassin vine on deck, Jens in the hole ...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume, having dropped his staff and dagger in the clinging ground cover five feet away, opts for a full flurry of jabs and aspinning back kick directed at the overgrown foliage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Full Attack, Flurry, PA, ki strikes. Spend a ki point for extra attack.
    I
    to hit - (1d20+6)[24]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[9]
    II
    to hit - (1d20+6)[26]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[11]
    III
    to hit - (1d20+6)[17]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[9]

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Laying waste!
    (1d20)[14]
    (2d6)[7]

23. - Top - End - #293

R8T15: Brother Jaume, having dropped his staff and dagger in the clinging ground cover five feet away, opts for a full flurry of jabs and a spinning back kick directed at the overgrown foliage. He entirely wreaks destruction on the thing, and it is now down.

Combat is Over, but the Entangling effect is still in play ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

As they sit there waiting for the handsy foliage to expire, Jens can’t help but ask, ”Flair, do
    you have any idea how long we have to sit here waiting for these plants to release us?”

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume would very much like to heal himself, please.
    Spoiler
    Show

drop lesser restoration for cure moderate. Let me know if I can roll

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair did his best to relax as the vines entangling him supported his weight. "Shouldn't be more than another minute or two." He surveyed his surroundings and his teammates. "And while we wait, where do we stand on health? Who's injured and what can we do about that?"

27. - Top - End - #297

So, it actually takes a surprising four minutes to just let the magic of the entangle effect peter out. In the meantime, the two grease effects (on Brother Jaume and on Flair) will dissipate, and when the entangle falters, Dorn has maybe a second or two remaining of his expeditious retreat (so not enough to make use of) and Jens knows that his super-charged vigor on Brother Jaume has maybe 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, Jens can tell that Brother Jaume is still critically wounded, but he is the only one still wounded.

The entangle drops. Now what?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The burly monk prays for healing from Erastil and his prayers are answered as a burst of glowing radiance erupts from the cleric followed by a localized spell that causes the purple welts from the assassin vine fade from his flesh. Some of the worst of the damage persists, however.
    BJ retrieves his weapons before addressing The Collective.
    Spoiler: collective
    Show

“Thank you for the assistance Jens. I assume I have you and the collective to thank for the extra vigor I feel?
    I wanted to explain my reluctance with being a part of the collective. I had a sort of waking dream while we were in Thrushmore and it seemed so real, it frightened me. I saw you lose control after absorbing the death energy of someone in the collective. You turned on the rest of the party attacking, killing and absorbing their life energy in turn.
    There are obvious benefits to this arrangement but do you believe the Benifits out way the risks to us all?

Flair, I am still partially wounded. It may take my remaining resources.”
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2020-07-04 at 01:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Brother Jaume is now moderately to severely wounded, but far better than before.

Okay, how do you want to go in (marching order)?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

"Jens, do your best to patch up Jaume. Once we got you in a reasonable amount of health, we should head on out. I'm thinking we should march two abreast, with myself and Dorn up front and Maeni and Jaume in the second row." Flair said with authority. He then turns to Jaume. "However, if after being healed you feel you'd rather take point, I'll move to the second row next to Maeni. Any questions?"