New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons 2: The Thrushmoor Terror [IC]

Jens

”Worth a try I suppose.” Jens says before adding, “Now what is plan B should this Nasmeth guy be completely off his rocker such that nothing we say is going to help? I could always sleep at the chapel and meet you all in the morning. Should worst come to worst.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

"Then we return and tell Ms Gallegos that he refused to listen to reason and the only way left to deal with him is with violence. And all resulting to violence would do was prove her right that you hadn't changed."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I am very much in favour of keeping it violence free. If it becomes necessary we can convince him to at least go home."
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Since "the Doomsayer" isn't outside her establishment right now, and it is too late for him to bother folks at the market (another common place for him to cause trouble), she recommends trying a place called "The Stain." She gives you directions, but basically it is near the waterfront, and the westernmost-building in town down that way.

The party heads the way recommended, each member thinking about what they need to do to get a good meal and a warm bed. Finally, they reach The Stain, the oldest tap house in Thrushmoor. This is a place that has catered to local and foreign customers for longer than anyone in town can remember.

Standing in front of The Stain is a man clad in shoddy clothes and wearing a signboard across his shoulders. He shouts, "Doom is coming! The second vanishing is upon us! Pray for your salvation that the Briarstone Witch doesn't take you!"
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair walks briskly to the man. "Sir, please, for sake of all that's holy, you've got to stop. Don't you realize what you're doing?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Dörn Dorn (sorry force of habit...) will take up station behind Flair and observe for now, but prepared to step in should he be needed...

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ scowls at the mad prophet and grasps his holy symbol before loudly praying for guidance.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cast detect evil

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Jens will attempt to get a read on the Doomsayers emotions.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Empath feat to Read Emotion Aura as a FRA, taking a -4 to saves as per normal for the feat.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Maeni waits to see the doomsayer's answers before stepping in.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

10. - Top - End - #40

"Yes, yes, I know! Warning you that a new vanishing is upon us!" shouts the doomsayer. "The Briarstone Witch is coming back to Thrushmoor at any minute. She'll take us all away into the depths of Lake Encarthan."

He continues to babble some more. His rambling, conspiratorial screed is difficult to follow, and his logic is as threadbare shirt. Elgrior claims the missing authorities are the real ones responsible for this second vanishing and that they called to the Briarstone Witch before departing the town. He says they plan to come back after the deed is done so they can have full run of Thrushmoor and take all the spoils left behind. Elgrior seems especially concerned that they want to steal the collection of beetles he keeps in his small shack in the eastern end of the town.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"No, not that." Flair says annoyedly. "We know about her. Everyone knows about her. That's not the problem. The problem is that you're helping her out without even realizing it!" He gesticulates wildly. "Don't you know that Names have power? By broadcasting her Name all over town, you're just making her stronger!"
    Show
    Roll me Bluff. I'm assuming he's been yammering for a minute, so gimme that +1 on it, and I will use inspiration on it.

12. - Top - End - #42

"She has no power if everyone leaves Thrushmoor before she gets here!" he calls out, falling back into his normal, unintelligible yammering.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Jen's looks at this man, this confused gibbering idiot of a man, and wonders if he even left the asylum to once again be dealing with a madman. Shaking off the negativity, Jens steps forwards and addresses the man, "Sir, I am curious as to what your goals are by shouting your warning day after day, night after night. Is it truely out of a desire to help the people of Thrushmoor? Their lives are not any of your concern are they? Even if you wished to help them out of the goodness of your heart, if they truly wish to stay despite the danger that is their choice to make and no amount of haranguing on your part will change that. You have delivered your warning of doom on the horizon and the people have heard and either left at this point, or made the choice to tough it out until the bitter end. So what choice will you make? Will you take your own advice and leave this doomed place? Stay and fight the witch until the bitter end? Or will you continue to insult those who have made their choice with your shouting in order to gain a twisted sense of self satisfaction?"

Show
    Use which ever social skill you believe best fits the above text. +2 bonus for successful Read Emotion.

14. - Top - End - #44

If, in the annals of history, Jens' words were simply to have been recorded without any description as to how he said them (much, in fact, as was above), one would think Jens was reasonable throughout, and attempted - possibly through slow, constant speech and eye contact - to have calmed the man in a manner that might make an ambassador envious.

And, as it is, it starts out that way, but the longer Jens goes, the more he takes on a wicked hard edge. Behind his words, almost in-between the lines and the way he says them once he really builds steam, is a sense of "or else." It is so perfectly delivered, reeling all of you in at first into his soft, calm voice, that when he is through, there is only one among you that does not feel fear .... and even Dorn might feel some concern for whatever road Jens is traveling down. Or, in light of today's revelations, what road he is returning to?

Either way, it is so impressive a feat, that Elgrior's ranting stops. "Yes, I'm sorry. I'm done. I'll go." And with that he races from the party, tossing his signboard off as he goes as it was slowing his movement.

Now what?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Dorn looks at Jens with a look of concern and makes a mental note to have a word with him discretely later... For the time being, however, he will just keep a close watch on him for his and the safety of others.

"I suggest we head back to and get some well deserved rest."

16. - Top - End - #46

Feel free to banter on the way, but .... you get back to the Silver Wagon. What do you say to Dena?

Oh, and when you went off to find the doomsayer, Winter had stayed behind to cement the arrangements (assuming you would be successful). When you return to the Silver Wagon, she had long gone to the Sleepless Building .... ostensibly to sleep.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair was thoughtful on the way back to the inn. The main emotion Jens' speech had evoked from him was concern, though it'd be a lie to say it didn't also elicit a healthy amount of fear. He'd seen shades of this before from him when he'd gotten power from those in his collective dying, but never to such a pointed degree before. He remembered his conversation about this darkness he'd detected earlier, and Jens' request that if he go to far for him to end it. There was a chunk of worry in his guy that the possibility of such an outcome seemed to be slowly expanding to inevitability, but he hoped that it could still be avoided.

Still, that was a matter for another day. By the time they got back to the Silver Wagon, he had pushed that aside to deal with the situation at hand. "Ms Gallegos, we have returned. The Doomsayer shouldn't be a problem for you anymore. My associate" he motioned to Jens "gave him a stern talking to and got him to back off." There had been an ever-so-slight pause before the word 'stern', but while that may have been underselling what Jens had did, it was accurate enough.

18. - Top - End - #48

With that, Dena is all smiles and good service. You are shown to your two rooms.

So, who is going to room with whom with this two-room setup? There is one female, and four males in your party.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Dorn will suggest that the 4 men find a way to share accommodations so the lady has the room to herself.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair turns to Maeni. "Okay, we've only got two rooms. Maeni, pick someone you trust to bunk with you and the rest of us will pile in the other room." Looking to the rest, he finishes with "In the three person room: if you want the bed, draw straws and the loser gets it tomorrow. Any other questions?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Maeni doesn't seem to think a lot before answering.

"Flair, given the situation, I'll prefer if we were to share a room."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Dorn will find 3 bits of straw or grass, make them 3 different sizes, mix them in his hand and hold them out for the others to choose. "Who is first?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

"I will draw first I suppose," Jens says as he steps towards Dorn. Thinking a moment, he reaches out and grabs a piece of straw.

Show
    Straw roll. 1 is the short one. Any other result gets a bed and the person that draws after rolls 1d2. (1d3)[1]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ claps Jens on the shoulder.
    “Ha! Better luck next time, my friend. You can have my bed tomorrow.”
    BJ picks a bed and flops down and is soon snoring loudly.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Dorn nods to Jens and crosses to lie down and sleep... As he begins to lie down, he sighs and stands...

Turning back to Jens, he says "Sleep. I'll take the first night."
    and he stands and leaves the room, heading down to the main area. If it is unoccupied, he will sit quietly in prayer. If it is occupied, he will sit for a suitable amount of time before returning to the room, and trying to find items to sleep on, create a makeshift bed and rest as best he can.

26. - Top - End - #56

The doors to both rooms get pummeled loudly in the morning. "Wake up! It's time for me to serve you breakfast, lazybones!" calls a woman's voice.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Dorn will stiffly rise, stretch and see to waking the others before heading down.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair snaps awake, and for a few seconds he just blinks, making sure the room is real. It took a few seconds, as part of him was afraid that he'd be shifted back to the Asylum. Once he was certain that he was actually free of that mess, he laid back down for a few moments; enjoying the comfort of the bed and bed sheets. If he was being objective, he'd be forced to admit that the bed was of only decent quality and the sheets weren't exactly luxury themselves, but being an actual bed was amazing enough for the time being.

But all good things must end, so in a minute or so, he finally got up and began dressing and preparing himself for the day.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Thanking Dorn for his generosity, Jens falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. Only to awaken what feels like seconds later to pounding on the door. Jens pulls himself out of bed with effort.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2020-04-10 at 07:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Stretching and seemingly forgetting something, Maeni quickly cover herself up.

"Oops. Well, best night I've had in a while, it'll be hard to top that."

She quickly dresses up after Flair's departure and go join the others.