New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons 2: The Thrushmoor Terror [IC]

R1T15: “Guess we need to do some pruning!”BJ draws his silver dagger and takes a powerful swipe at the plant creature in front of him. Brother Jaume, despite being a proponent of Erastil's power over (usually cultivated) flora, doesn't have any actual knowledge of horticulture. However, as a vintner he can safely say that while this is some sort of gonzo animated vine, at least it isn't an animated grapevine. He is also sure that this vine, though active, does not possess a root-imentary intelligence!

R1T12: AV1 lashes out at Dorn, who in turn jumps over the whipping vine.

R1T6: Jens, what do you do?

AV2 on deck, Dorn in the hole ...
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Being cornered by a... plant(?) Jens doubts his mental abilities will be of much help. Thus, he gathers energy from the surrounding sand and earth. He forms the surrounding material into a blade and makes his own attempt at gardening.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Gather power to reduce burn by 1
    Standard Action: Attack with kinetic blade vs AV1 (burn reduced to 0 by gather power above)
    Attack: (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12] (I believe the mod should be +6 since base kinetic blast damage is 2d6+2 at level 3-4 +4 for wis mod but 4 is what is on the sheet) Slashing Damage

3. - Top - End - #243

R1T6: Being cornered by a... plant(?) Jens doubts his mental abilities will be of much help. Thus, he gathers energy from the surrounding sand and earth. He forms the surrounding material into a blade and makes his own attempt at gardening. The sand and mud circles about him, and the rocks of the very grotto wall shake. He attacks with a blade temporary formed of hardened sand, but the vine deftly moves out of the way, as it sensed the danger the blade represented.

Meanwhile, the second vine in the back is unable to move anywhere.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ....

R2T20:
    Dorn cuts a gory wound in the vine with a crit for 9. He then takes out his warhammer.

R2T19: Maeni, what do you do?

Flair on deck, Brother Jaume in the hole ...
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not willing to take too much risks that early, Maeni keeps throwing fire at the plants.

Show
    One more flame arc, on the same path. (DC 15)

(2d6+4)[15]
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's an Assassin Vine!" Flair yells as he tries to distract it, once again lamenting that he never got his crossbow back from Corbin.
    Show
    So my 1d3 isn't gonna do much, so I have a different plan.
    5 foot step north to provide a possible flank for someone
    Aid Another to help Jaume hit this thing (1d20+3)[16]. If the result is less than 10, I will use Inspiration (1d6)[3]. If that's still not enough to get a 10, I will do one of my 2/day rerolls. (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-07 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to color text
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

6. - Top - End - #246

R2T19: Not willing to take too much risks that early, Maeni keeps throwing fire at the plants. The first time she did this, both plants took the full brunt. This time, however, they must've sensed something building to the hurtful flames as before as they both use their surprisingly small profile to minimize damage, each only taking 7 fire.

R2T17: "It's an Assassin Vine!" Flair yells as he tries to distract it, once again lamenting that he never got his crossbow back from Corbin. Even as he searched his mind for a host of information he doesn't normally seek (natural lore, biology, plant identification, etc.), he feels his mind expanding.

R2T15: Brother Jaume, Flair didn't "distract" the plant, but his mentioning that it is an "assassin" vine seems like a very affront to the very type of plants you would otherwise help grow, and it incenses you. What do you do?

AV1 on deck, Jens in the hole ...
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ scowls at the offensive vegetation.“You shall spread your vile tendrils no more!”
    The big man swipes at the plant again with the dagger before following up with a pair of spinning kicks.
    Spoiler
    Show

power attack with all three attacks. Flurry of blows. Spend a ki point for extra attack. Kicks are ki strikes.
    dagger
    to hit - (1d20+7)[13]
    to dam - (1d4+7)[11]
    kick#1
    roll=to hit]1d20+6[/roll]
    [roll=to dam]1d8+8[roll]
    kick#3
    roll=to hit]1d20+6[/roll]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[16]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: fix mess up
    Show

kick#1
    to hit - (1d20+6)[14]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[11]
    kick#2
    to hit - (1d20+6)[23]

9. - Top - End - #249

R2T15: BJ scowls at the offensive vegetation.“You shall spread your vile tendrils no more!” The big man swipes at the plant again with the dagger buoyed by Flair's intellectual aid. It seems that without what Flair provided, the monk would not have cut into the thick stalk of the vine with his dagger for 11. The vine looks well and truly battered and cut and burned, but is still aggressive.
    Show
    The dagger is not a monk weapon. You cannot conduct a flurry of blows while using a weapon that is not a monk weapon. You may not try to use a non-monk weapon as a "primary" weapon and unarmed attacks as "off-hand attacks." Because the dagger was the first thing in the fluff and the sequence, that is all that happened.

R2T12-11: The assassin vine slaps at Dorn again, hitting him in his left knee for 9 mod. As Dorn buckles from the impact, the vine then wraps about him, holding him. Meanwhile, all of the creepers on the grotto and the small scrub and shoots on the grotto floor seem to come alive! Dorn, Flair, Jens, and Maeni are simply impeded in movement, though the plants are still grasping at them. Brother Jaume, however, is entangled by the vegetation.
    Spoiler: Entangled
    Show
    Entangled
    The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell.

R2T6: Jens, what do you do?

Dorn on deck, Maeni in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-06-08 at 12:09 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Jens once more calls on the element of earth trying to actually hit the assassin vine right before him.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Move action: Gather power
    Standard: Kinetic Blade attack vs AV1
    Attack: (1d20+3)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[11] slashing

11. - Top - End - #251

R2T6: Jens once more calls on the element of earth trying to actually hit the assassin vine right before him. Once again, the hide is too thick for the nearly-rounded edges of the kinetic blade to properly cut through.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T20:
    With his warhammer now in hand, Dorn drops his dagger and begins an onslaught. The first strike is wild, his own warhammer getting knocked back into his stomach (luckily, no internal hemorrhaging), but the second strike hits true for a devastating 11 (max), dropping the vine.

R3T19: Maeni, what do you do?

Flair on deck, Brother Jaume in the hole ...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Stepping away for the remaining vine just in case, Maeni casts a spell on Dorn to close his wounds.

"I hope that's enough for now !"

Show
    5 foot step down, then casting cure light wounds on Dorn.

(1d8+3)[5]
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

13. - Top - End - #253

R3T19: Stepping away for the remaining vine just in case, which proves to be much more difficult than she thought it would be, Maeni casts a spell on Dorn to fully heal him. "I hope that's enough for now !"
    Show
    First, the grasping vegetation means difficult terrain, meaning no 5' steps, but a move action to move one square for the cost of 2 squares of movement.

R3T17: Flair, there is grasping vegetation all around, making it difficult to move.

Brother Jaume (entangled) on deck, AV2 in the hole ...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With an effort of strength, the dowdy moneric (TM), trudges forward pulling out clumps of vegetation as he advances on the second vine. His sandaled foot whips out in a series of rapid kicks.
    Spoiler
    Show

move. Flurry of blows=kicks. Spend a ki point for extra attack. No power attack so increased chance to hit. Did not deduct for entangled penalty to hit.
    to hit#1 - (1d20+8)[13]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[14]

to hit#2 - (1d20+8)[11]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[13]

to hit#3 - (1d20+8)[17]
    to dam - (1d8+8)[14]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair hangs back; with the beast in a bottleneck like it was, he could only get in the way.
    Show
    Not delaying; I am using Total Defense, because I have no way to help atm, and there's no point in getting hit if I don't need to.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-10 at 04:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

R3T17: Flair hangs back; with the beast in a bottleneck like it was, he could only get in the way.

R3T15: With an effort of strength, the dowdy moneric (TM) Clonk (R), attempts to trudge forward but finds that he is rooted to the spot on his first attempt. On the second attempt he finally rips free. Unfortunately, all of his effort was spent getting himself free.
    Show
    Remember I said he was held fast/ entangled by the effect. So, his first move action to try to free himself failed, but he freed himself on a second move action. Unfortunately, it is difficult terrain, so he can't do a 5' move to close, either.

R3T11: With all of the heroes remaining in the field of rampant growth, the various vegetation have been continuously working to hold the heroes fast. Unfortunately, that means for all of his hard work freeing himself, Brother Jaume gets held fast again. And again, everyone else manages to remain light-footed enough to keep from getting stuck like the friar. The assassin vine shuffles forth through the mess, seemingly unaffected. A tendril from the vine powers out to hit the one prey in its trap - Brother Jaume. The friar is hit fully in the chest for a crushing 12, and adding insult to injury, Brother Jaume is now grappled as well.

R3T6: Jens, what do you do?

Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Seeing Jaume getting attacked, Jens winces and thinks about healing the man, before remembering that Jaume still stubbornly refuses Jen's aid. Shaking his head, Jens calls out, "If Jaume needs healing someone else will need to provide it since he is not part of the collective."

Jens then focuses on felling the other assassin vine, hoping that he has better luck at a distance than in melee.

Show
    Standard Action: Earth Blast on AV2. Provoke's AoO for being a ranged attack if AV2 has reach.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[21] PBS applied
    Damage: (2d6+11)[15] PBS applied (Again the damage seems off on this one. Maybe this is from back when I had Jen's wis Mod buffed with animal affinity and took burn to have elemental overflow going? Not sure what else would be buffing it above 2d6+7 damage)

18. - Top - End - #258

R3T6: Seeing Jaume getting attacked, Jens winces and thinks about healing the man, before remembering that Jaume still stubbornly refuses Jen's aid. Shaking his head, Jens calls out, "If Jaume needs healing someone else will need to provide it since he is not part of the collective."

Jens then focuses on felling the other assassin vine, hoping that he has better luck at a distance than in melee. A tendril slaps alongside Jens' waist for 6 mod, and almost holds him before Jens wriggles out and shoots the thing for 11.

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T20:
    Dorn tries to move acrobatically closer to the vine, but doesn't. Luckily he does this while Jens was distracting it and still manages to close. He swings with his warhammer but it is soo incredibly clumsy what with dodging big vines and little plants grasping at his feet that he is knocked into the ground and gets dirt in his eyes (blinded).

R4T19: Maeni, what do you do?

Flair on deck, Brother Jaume (grappled and entangled) in the hole ...
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Hoping the remaining vine is too focused on its grapple, Maeni gets closer to Jaume to prepare to heal him.

"Hold fast !"

Show
    Two move actions to get to the square immediately right of Jaume.

20. - Top - End - #260

R4T19: Hoping the remaining vine is too focused on its grapple, Maeni gets closer to Jaume to prepare to heal him. "Hold fast!"

R4T17: Flair, your intellect has helped you to observe the vegetative floor beneath you to time your best moments to shift stance and weight. Now, you go through another quantum surge in intellect, your mind almost shuddering as it almost drinks in more knowledge in the universe, to the point that you when the second vine came forth - and now that you have had a chance to view that the carbon scoring on it is actually very light, it seems that the first assassin vine probably had a mutation-based weakness that made it susceptible to fire, but the second assassin fire is more typical of its hardy species - being significantly resistant to temperature extremes, and completely unaffected by electricity. Meanwhile, you are still in total defense. What do you do?

Brother Jaume (grappled and entangled) on deck, AV2 in the hole ...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume drops both the dagger and his staff and grasps the vine that has snared him in his meaty fists. He struggles with the vine trying to gain control. He attempts to push forward, lunging against the creepers holding him fast.
    Spoiler
    Show

drop weapons.
    Attempts to gain control of the grapple.
    (1d20+8)[9]CMB
    break free of entangled

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair is of limited help right now; without any sort of ranged weapon, all he can do is offer advice. "This one's resistant to fire and cold and I think electricity, too; if you're gonna hit it with magic, use sonic or acidic spells!"
    Show
    Second verse, same as the first. Well, technically it's "Third verse, same as the second", but that's not very catchy. Total defense!

23. - Top - End - #263

R4T17: Flair is of limited help right now; without any sort of ranged weapon, all he can do is offer advice. "This one's resistant to fire and cold and I think electricity, too; if you're gonna hit it with magic, use sonic or acidic spells!"

R4T15: Brother Jaume drops both the dagger and his staff and grasps the vine that has snared him in his meaty fists. He struggles with the vine trying to gain control. He attempts to push forward, lunging against the creepers holding him fast. Unfortunately, he bites his tongue in the fumble, suffering 1 bleed.

R4T11: The assassin vine constricts and grapples Brother Jaume for 21.

In addition, the undergrowth continues to grasp at the other characters. Amazingly, Dorn rolls around quickly despite being prone to keep from being held down. Jens avoids getting entangled, but Flair is held fast by the vegetation. Maeni likewise avoids entanglement.

R4T6: Jens, what do you do?

Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-06-13 at 12:57 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Jens

Seeing Dorn's poor state, Jens refrains from attacking and attempts to allay his ally's suffering.

Spoiler: Collective
    Show
    "If this works I won't be able to see for a while so let me know if we all die."

Show
    Transfer Ailment to transfer Dorn's Blind condition to Jens. This works as long as the blindness is a temporary and not a permanent condition.

25. - Top - End - #265

R4T6: Seeing Dorn's poor state, Jens refrains from attacking and attempts to allay his ally's suffering.
    Spoiler: Jens >>> Collective
    Show
    "If this works I won't be able to see for a while, so let me know if we all die."
    Sure enough, Jens' world goes dark as it feels like his eyes are occluded by dirt and grit.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T20:
    Dorn stands, and without being struck by the vine. He puts his hand on Brother Jaume to give him 6 healing, which also stops the bleeding. "Damn your fears, man!" he says to the grappled friar. "Let Jens bring you into his collective!"

R5T19: Maeni, what do you do?

Flair (entangled, total defense) on deck, Brother Jaume (entangled, constricted/ grappled) in the hole ...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Moving away while grabbing some butter, Maeni casts a spell on Flair's clothing after a warning.

"That will help you get out of that !"

Show
    Move action to go to the square immediately right, and standard action to cast grease on Flair's clothing. He now has +10 to escape grapples and avoid being grappled, and from the square I'm at the vine shouldn't have a line on me to try an AoO (if that's the case, casting defensively then).

27. - Top - End - #267

R5T19: Moving away while grabbing some butter, and seeing the vine physicallly focused on Brother Jaume, Maeni casts a spell on Flair's clothing after a warning: "That will help you get out of that!"

R5T17: Flair, yet while entangled it is like you feel your joints and muscles stiffen a little more. What do you do?

Brother Jaume on deck, assassin vine in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-06-13 at 09:19 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume’s body spasms as the vine constricts.
    “ACK!” ,chokes out BJ as blood spurts from his mouth.
    He tries to break the vine’s hold on him.
    Spoiler
    Show

break grapple
    (1d20+8)[16]
    try to move 5ft forward to break entangled

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair took a deep breath. A more foolish man would have panicked as the vines grabbed him, but he knew better. The vines grabbing him were the local vegetation rather than the assassin vine itself. Furthermore, while they hindered movement, they did not stop it. He slowly moved towards the rocks and out of the line of fire.

Show
    Move 5 feet east. Entangled only halves my movement, not preventing me from moving at all. Afterwards, I wait, delaying until either my Major ability recharges or the thing comes closer to do anything (or combat ends, obviously)

30. - Top - End - #270

R5T17: Flair took a deep breath. A more foolish man would have panicked as the vines grabbed him, but he knew better. The vines grabbing him were the local vegetation rather than the assassin vine itself. Furthermore, while they hindered movement, he was sure they would not stop him now that Maeni has helped. He slowly moves towards the rocks and out of the line of fire, though he does have the issue that there is still grasping vegetation there.

R5T15-11: Brother Jaume’s body spasms as the vine constricts. “ACK!” chokes out BJ as blood spurts from his mouth, though luckily due to Maeni's healing no more is forthcoming. He tries to break the vine’s hold on him, bu fails. However, he seems to have shifted things enough so that when the vine tries to continue its hold on the friar, it loses its grip and Brother Jaume is no longer grappled (but still entangled).

R5T6: Jens, you are currently blinded. What do you do?

Show