New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default A silly Skyrim problem

I'm trying to do a run where I have as few 'crimes' as possible, even when I wouldn't get a bounty for them. While taking the Animal Extermination radiant quest to get a beast out of Kraldar's home, I found that even though I had free run to enter the house, going in counted as a trespass. I need to figure out some way to enter Kraldar's house and have it not count as a trespass.

I've already tried getting him and his servant to flee into his house from a monster, but even having them in there doesn't help me.

Is it possible for me to befriend him so that I would be welcome into his house? Could installing him as Jarl and then becoming thane do it?

I'm playing on 360, so i can't just use the console to edit my count back to 0. I'm also stupidly stubborn about not having a 1 trespass frivolously sully my perfect record.

Does anyone have a suggestion?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: A silly Skyrim problem

If I remember correctly, tresspassing only counts if you get caught and asked to leave. So you could always let the stormcloaks take Winterhold which gets him exiled. Otherwise, sneaking/invisibility are probably your best bets.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    If I remember correctly, tresspassing only counts if you get caught and asked to leave. So you could always let the stormcloaks take Winterhold which gets him exiled. Otherwise, sneaking/invisibility are probably your best bets.
    That's true of most crimes, and if I read the opening post correctly, they don't want to commit any crimes, even if they don't get a bounty for them.

Silly question, are you going in during the day or at night? If its at night, that may be why its counting as a trespass.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That's true of most crimes, and if I read the opening post correctly, they don't want to commit any crimes, even if they don't get a bounty for them.

Silly question, are you going in during the day or at night? If its at night, that may be why its counting as a trespass.
    You are correct, I don't want to commit any crimes, even if I would not get a bounty for them.

The lighting in skyrim is weird, so I have a hard time telling if it is night or day in Winterhold at any given time, but I feel I've tried both day and night. Maybe if I carefully choose my hour, I could get in.

Regarding civil war strats, I could try getting the guy exiled or promoted, just so he would stop hanging around his house. I may dip into both sides just to see if either will help.

One more possibility is that it is the sabrecat who is catching me and giving me the tresspass. Usually nobody sees me enter but I usually bump it as I enter the door. I have a similar problem in Riften where trying to catch the skooma dealer gives me a trespass (though that doesn't lock me out of radiant quests, so I haven't cared). Also the quest to get the house in Raven Rock also gives me a trespass.

If only I could bait them out or send something in to kill for me...
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

How about reloading an older save and try to reroll for a radiant quest that does not involve trespassing?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    How about reloading an older save and try to reroll for a radiant quest that does not involve trespassing?
    That point had already passed by the time I realized this error. I should be even more careful with my saving.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can you just decline the quest and get a new one? AFAIK all the radiant quests can be canceled at the guy who gave them out.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Can you just decline the quest and get a new one? AFAIK all the radiant quests can be canceled at the guy who gave them out.
    I should test that.... Keltest it if you will...

Edit: Aela will not let me default on the quest. I also tried to kill her to get a quest failure, but that didn't help either.
    Last edited by No brains; 2020-04-03 at 09:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

The bounty for trespassing isn't immediate, you get a grace period right? So could you kill it... really quickly? Also, is this before or after you have finished the companion quest line?
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    The bounty for trespassing isn't immediate, you get a grace period right? So could you kill it... really quickly? Also, is this before or after you have finished the companion quest line?
    Bounty isn't my problem. I've entered in plain view of the guards and don't get a bounty for this. My issue is getting a trespass on my record. I just don't want to have any crimes in my crimes record* as a self-imposed challenge for this character.

Though you bring up a good point- Since load-warping and other tricks rely on uncertainy of map position, I could try mashing attack as I'm loading in. If I can do it just right, I might be able to sneak attack the cat before I count as being in the building. An interesting theory.

This is after I've completed the questline. There's technically no repercussion for me doing this or not, I just want to do it in case I want to do any more Companions radiant quests while going for my 0 crime run.

*(except picked locks because I've found over 400 locks that nobody cares about me picking**)
    ** I may want to put in trespasses as allowed crimes since trespassing doesn't actually hurt people, they might not even know I did it, and a few 'good/honorable' quests rely on trespassing. I technically have this same problem confronting the skooma dealer in Riften, I just really don't care about that quest.
    Last edited by No brains; 2020-04-16 at 01:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Did you have any luck with abandoning the quest to get one that doesn't require you to trespass?

12. - Top - End - #12

Bounty isn't my problem. I've entered in plain view of the guards and don't get a bounty for this. My issue is getting a trespass on my record. I just don't want to have any crimes in my crimes record* as a self-imposed challenge for this character.

Though you bring up a good point- Since load-warping and other tricks rely on uncertainy of map position, I could try mashing attack as I'm loading in. If I can do it just right, I might be able to sneak attack the cat before I count as being in the building. An interesting theory.

This is after I've completed the questline. There's technically no repercussion for me doing this or not, I just want to do it in case I want to do any more Companions radiant quests while going for my 0 crime run.

*(except picked locks because I've found over 400 locks that nobody cares about me picking**)
    ** I may want to put in trespasses as allowed crimes since trespassing doesn't actually hurt people, they might not even know I did it, and a few 'good/honorable' quests rely on trespassing. I technically have this same problem confronting the skooma dealer in Riften, I just really don't care about that quest.
    I feel like this run might have some internal contradictions. Like that you don't want to trespass even if no one cares as long as it leaves a mark on your record, but you're fine with lockpicking, which no one cares about and marks your record.

This, I find, is the problem with objective morality, even if you present as fully objective, you end up making subjective judgments somewhere down the line.

Not that that has anything to do with anything. Cool run, curious what your solution will be.
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Did you have any luck with abandoning the quest to get one that doesn't require you to trespass?
    Yes. Aela will not let me abandon the quest and even killing her doesn't end the quest. Quite a pickle.

I feel like this run might have some internal contradictions. Like that you don't want to trespass even if no one cares as long as it leaves a mark on your record, but you're fine with lockpicking, which no one cares about and marks your record.

This, I find, is the problem with objective morality, even if you present as fully objective, you end up making subjective judgments somewhere down the line.

Not that that has anything to do with anything. Cool run, curious what your solution will be.
    I saw zeros on a page and wanted to keep zeros. This mostly grew out of an investigation into and then exploration of what constitutes assaults and murders. Exploring the rules helps keep Skyrim fresh after exploring the land. I also wanted to see if I could do a Bethesda game without stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

I feel like my biggest breakthroughs in Skyrim ethics is that Courage is the perfect spell for honorably picking fights. Vigilants of Stendarr are excellent sources of coin and they're also a just a little push of encouragement away from attacking the player for some reason. Similarly, both the Alik'r warriors and the Redguard women they question would love to take out their frustration on the dragonborn.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel like my biggest breakthroughs in Skyrim ethics is that Courage is the perfect spell for honorably picking fights. Vigilants of Stendarr are excellent sources of coin and they're also a just a little push of encouragement away from attacking the player for some reason. Similarly, both the Alik'r warriors and the Redguard women they question would love to take out their frustration on the dragonborn.
    True story, I cast Magelight on that traveling bard, Talsgar the Wanderer, and he flew into a murderous rage and tried to kill me.

So many have no respect for the clever craft.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    True story, I cast Magelight on that traveling bard, Talsgar the Wanderer, and he flew into a murderous rage and tried to kill me.

So many have no respect for the clever craft.
    On second thought, let us not go to Skyrim, for it is a silly place.
    Columnated ruins domino

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

On second thought, let us not go to Skyrim, for it is a silly place.
    Supposedly if you dance on certain NPC's tables and kick their food everywhere, they'll send hired thugs after you. My tests remain inconclusive.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Supposedly if you dance on certain NPC's tables and kick their food everywhere, they'll send hired thugs after you. My tests remain inconclusive.

I can confirm this is true. Skyrim's crime system is broken. I once got arrested in Falkreath because I knocked over some piece of gear at Half-Moon Mill.

I did not pick up the gear, I did not play with the gear through "Grab" and I did not outright steal. I walked past the mill to talk to an NPC and the in-game physics bugged out.

Suddenly I have a 100 gold bounty.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Usually when they weren't even there.
    But I think inheriting from the guy you literally just murdered moments ago beats that.
    So surreal.
    Especially because that was literally the only meaningful interaction we had.

Not kidding here, I actually stepped out of Lemkil's (very appropiate name) house after killing him in his sleep- even more hillarious, his daughters wake up, look directly at my character and proceed to ignore me -when the courier runs at me and tell me I'm Lemkil's heir.
    Now, I don't know why- or when -I got put into that testament*, but I can't deny that Skyrim's bureocracy works fast.

*Unless he does that for all mysterious strangers he rants at about his kids.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Usually when they weren't even there.
    But I think inheriting from the guy you literally just murdered moments ago beats that.
    So surreal.
    Especially because that was literally the only meaningful interaction we had.

Not kidding here, I actually stepped out of Lemkil's (very appropiate name) house after killing him in his sleep- even more hillarious, his daughters wake up, look directly at my character and proceed to ignore me -when the courier runs at me and tell me I'm Lemkil's heir.
    Now, I don't know why- or when -I got put into that testament*, but I can't deny that Skyrim's bureocracy works fast.

*Unless he does that for all mysterious strangers he rants at about his kids.
    Try casting dead thrall on a friend(For those who don't know, it's a Raise undead spell, but permanent, and if the zombie dies, you can cast it again). Every time they die, you will get another courier sending you 100 gold pieces.
    Columnated ruins domino

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Now I have to share my bonkers-ass inheritance story. It's even tangentially related to the topic!

So I'm Harbinger of the Companions and I see Farkas, the dark elf, and the drunk fighting a bear. I decide to mess around by casting Courage on either them or the bear and for some reason, this makes my Companions hostile to me. I have some fun for a while clobbering the essential NPCs and disarming their weapons. I try to sheathe to stop the fight, but they keep coming at me. In fact, I'm still in combat when I'm oven an in-game mile away at Fort Dawnguard.

Then it gets weird. The whole of the damn Dawnguard mobilizes to my defense. In the moment, I'm not even sure WHY. Then I follow my waypoint on the world map as I see the whole Dawnguard incrementally teleporting their way to Whiterun. I piece together that they aggroed the random encounter Companions and now want to take it out on their permanent counterparts. I have to follow.

I go into Whiterun and watch as an army of vampire hunters barges up to Jorrvaskr, storms the place, and kills the dark elf and the drunk while NOBODY, not even other Companions, bats an eye. I loot the pants off the insubordinate punks who attacks me because Bethesda. I then decide to escort the Dawnguard as they calmly walk home.

Before I can get out of the wind district, a courier runs up to me. I have an inheritance. Those drunks who attacked me for buffing them and would not back down left me money. Even if it is because I am Harbinger it is weird that they didn't update their will to match their undying enmity for me.

AND THEN! They respawn. At Jorrvaskr. And act like none of this ever happened. "My favorite drinking buddy!" My reaction is ymfah's distorted thinking face emoji. For good reason and great justice.

This is where the story ties into my conundrum. Respawning Companions is likely why I can't just kill Aela to lose the quest. Even if she dies, she'll get better and she'll still expect me to kill that cat. The owner of the house is essential for real, so I'm stuck.

21. - Top - End - #21

Now I have to share my bonkers-ass inheritance story. It's even tangentially related to the topic!
    Hooray for tangential relations!
    Columnated ruins domino

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

UPDATE: The Civil war quest breaks right when I get to Winterhold. Rikke will not give me my mission. I went back to an earlier save and killed the cat so Kraldar can get back into his home, but this did not help. Rikke just doesn't give me my mission.

I'm out of ideas.

The next time someone cracks wise about you stealing everything that isn't nailed down in a Bethesda game, tell my story and let them know crime is a flippin' necessity. Honor has no place on Tamriel.

23. - Top - End - #23

UPDATE: The Civil war quest breaks right when I get to Winterhold. Rikke will not give me my mission. I went back to an earlier save and killed the cat so Kraldar can get back into his home, but this did not help. Rikke just doesn't give me my mission.

I'm out of ideas.

The next time someone cracks wise about you stealing everything that isn't nailed down in a Bethesda game, tell my story and let them know crime is a flippin' necessity. Honor has no place on Tamriel.
    Are you sure that isn't just Skyrim Skyriming on you?
    Columnated ruins domino

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Are you sure that isn't just Skyrim Skyriming on you?
    I've tried all the workarounds I can think of. I don't think there are any quests incomplete that are in the way of Rikke giving me the quest to take Winterhold, so phooey.

Crime in Skyrim... I tried to leave, but they keep pulling me back in! Trespasses: 1.

I guess if there's some other way to make Kraldar or his crony my friend, I could do that, but I can't fathom what that is.

Interesting note in trying to do this, if you ever go Legendary in Destruction and want a good way to gain back ranks, spam Fire Storm during civil war battles. I went Legendary before taking Dunstand and got to 70 when I took Greenwall. It will only give you assaults if you hit horses.

Another weird note is that if you cast courage on a Imperial/ Stormcloak Courier outside the quest to intercept one, that makes almost everyone hostile to you. Imperials, Stormcloaks, their supporters, and the Dawnguard all attacked me for buffing a guy. They forget after a while, but what the heck?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

On XBox... Um. Technically every area in the game is on a 30-day (game day) timer to reset as long as you don't load/enter it? Just go to the other end of the map, wait 24 hours 30 times and then travel back. It might do something.

This is Skyrim everyone hates magic! Who cares if that was a buff, it was still targeted magic!
    Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2020-05-01 at 07:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    On XBox... Um. Technically every area in the game is on a 30-day (game day) timer to reset as long as you don't load/enter it? Just go to the other end of the map, wait 24 hours 30 times and then travel back. It might do something.

This is Skyrim everyone hates magic! Who cares if that was a buff, it was still targeted magic!
    I think I'm going to try avoiding the area for a while, see if that maybe helps.

There is one more idea I had: If I continue the main quest to Season Unending, it could be possible for me to trade bugged Winterhold for a hold that Rikke isn't bugged in. Could that work?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I've tried all the workarounds I can think of. I don't think there are any quests incomplete that are in the way of Rikke giving me the quest to take Winterhold, so phooey.

Crime in Skyrim... I tried to leave, but they keep pulling me back in! Trespasses: 1.

I guess if there's some other way to make Kraldar or his crony my friend, I could do that, but I can't fathom what that is.
    I think it’s possible to drop an item for them and then let them have it if they ask for it to raise their relationship status with you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I think it’s possible to drop an item for them and then let them have it if they ask for it to raise their relationship status with you.
    I've been dropping some premium stuff, but they haven't been biting. Maybe they don't have enough of the 'greed' stat to go for it? Is there a way I can make sure they go for what I drop? Best I figure, I could over-enchant dragonbone armor to be absurdly expensive.