Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1197 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Setting aside that bluffs...

Remember that we readers have information Team Evil (and possibly the Order) do not. We are shown the location of the Rift in #276.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    A couple of years ago a friend of mine, playing a bard in our group, used comprehend languages and Minor Illusion to communicate with some folk in the jungles of Chult whose language none of us knew. What he basically did was put on a small slide show/power point presentation, one minor illusion at a time, showing what we had done and who we were. They'd say something and he'd try to use a picture or a scene to respond. It was ingenious. DM loved it, the players loved it. We made friends with the batiri hunting party. (The goblins who stand on each others shoulders and wear masks ...)

We referred to it later as "home movies" usage of minor illusion.
    Awesome, i love this.
    I think i will never pass Minor Illusion again on an Arcane Cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by ReedeThe23rd View Post
    Daemon is the name when used alongside Demon and Devil. Yugoloth is the name for them in the editions that call Demons Tanar'ri and Devils Baatezu.
    Was going to explain they're back in 5E, but i got ninja'd.
    ------- 5E MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage. - - Petrocorus' Paladin Builds List. - - French vs. English

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Remember that we readers have information Team Evil (and possibly the Order) do not. We are shown the location of the Rift in #276.
    We know that it was above ground at the time of it happening, but that's it. The background changes (see the mountains in the background and the tree), so it may be a different location or it may be a different camera angle from where the statue was built.

Also, in comic #1040, Redcloak talks about the ravine being, "built up out of multidimensional stone", which may or may not indicate that the ravine was put there by the original guardian of the gate (I feel like that verbiage implies someone deliberately did something, but it is ambiguous).

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ASCIInerd73 View Post
    We know that it was above ground at the time of it happening, but that's it.
    We don't even know that much; anything in crayon is not necessarily 100% reliable, per the author.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

And Team Evil have information that the readers do not: the contents of the diary of the person who built the whole thing. A diary that, so far, has contained perfectly accurate information about all gate locations, so there is no reason to believe she decided to lie about it to herself in her own diary only for her own gate.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    A little history.

The first illusion spell was introduced in the original Dungeons and Dragons. Phantasmal Force was a 2nd level spell. And true to original D&D, it had almost no details. [The rules of D&D fit on fewer than 30 sheets of 8 1/2 inch paper, folded over.]

In The Strategic Review #4, it became a 1st level spell for the new Illusionist character class. Improved Phantasmal Forces was added.

In AD&D 1e, it became Phantasmal Force (singular). It was implicitly a silent image, because Improved Phantasmal Force included some sounds.

By 3rd edition, it had been much more carefully detailed, and broken into Silent Image, Minor Image, and Major Image.

So Vaarsuvius, being a 3.5e character, probably meant Silent Image, but I and many other long-term D&D players think the name Phantasmal Force first. I presume that the Giant made the same error.

In any event, in no version up through 3.5e was Phantasmal Force(s) restricted to affecting a single person.
    I completely forgot that they haven't been upgraded to the latest edition. Thanks though for the history. :)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, but Roy has not, and so if he assumes that it is life-sized and uses it for scale reference, he is going to get the impression that everything is half the size it actually is, since the status is actually twice as tall as a dwarf usually is.

Grey Wolf
    Oh, no, is Roy's tendency to assume he knows more than he does going to bite him again?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Oh, no, is Roy's tendency to assume he knows more than he does going to bite him again?
    Eh, V's smart enough that I doubt he'd point to a "refer to this for scale" landmark and leave out key information like "it appears to be approximately double life size" or something. If I show you a picture of something and put a soda can next to it, I generally don't have to explain that it's an 8 oz (or whatever you crazy metric folks call it) can: it's assumed I'm using a typical example of the thing as a reference. If I weren't using an 8 oz can, I'd include a caption stating that.

(Plus there's the fact that we the audience know it's a life-size statue and that Roy's assumption, while perhaps not strictly supported based on the exact words spoken, is nonetheless correct.)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, V's smart enough that I doubt he'd point to a "refer to this for scale" landmark and leave out key information like "it appears to be approximately double life size" or something. If I show you a picture of something and put a soda can next to it, I generally don't have to explain that it's an 8 oz (or whatever you crazy metric folks call it) can: it's assumed I'm using a typical example of the thing as a reference. If I weren't using an 8 oz can, I'd include a caption stating that.

(Plus there's the fact that we the audience know it's a life-size statue and that Roy's assumption, while perhaps not strictly supported based on the exact words spoken, is nonetheless correct.)
    It appears to be about as tall as Xykon, so not "life-size" for a Dwarf (though not grotesquely off). On the other hand, there may be a standard size for Dwarvish statues: RFC something-or-other / ANSI standard / ISO standard / what-have-you.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt it. I'm just being nit-picky, but that's the kind of detail I'd expect to be handled off-panel, rather than waste space and consume the readers' patience by having V specify the exact height if the statue (unless of course Rich has a good loquaciousness joke in mind).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-03-31 at 08:12 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Do we know yet whether all the caves are in the cliffside facing toward the statue and village? Because if instead they're on both sides... then the Tomb is literally a double bluff.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    Do we know yet whether all the caves are in the cliffside facing toward the statue and village? Because if instead they're on both sides... then the Tomb is literally a double bluff.
    The one close look we have had at it from ground level suggests they are only of the far side from the statue, with the close side having only the stairs. But we obviously have not been given a full tour, so I suppose it is possible.

Grey Wolf

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

I love what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

EDIT: In fact, since "check the statue" is so much less time intensive than "check arbitrarily large number of doors" it'd make sense to do that FIRST. Relying on an unknown enemy to be that much less clever than you seems very unwise.
    And we've already seen this line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Personnally, I love the idea that « it’s obvious that the Gate is actually inside/under the statue » because it’s a self-contradiction.
    Ayup. If you're looking to hide something extremely important, the place dozens of people have declared is the first place they'd look is definitely the wrong choice.

Given what we've seen of where Lien and O-Chul were observing, it seems unlikely there are doors there.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2020-03-31 at 10:33 PM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

15. - Top - End - #135
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    It appears to be about as tall as Xykon, so not "life-size" for a Dwarf (though not grotesquely off).
    I would say the most obvious indicator the statue is larger than life size is the size of the head--compare it with Redcloak's, which ought to be about the same size if it were to scale. Judging from that, I reckon it's about 50% bigger than life size. I don't think the Xykon height comparison works, because (a) Xykon is standing in deep snow so you can't see his feet or even the bottom of his robe and (b) the statue is on quite a high plinth.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I love what you did there.
    Thanks! I'm just glad someone noticed.

17. - Top - End - #137

PaladinGuy

then the Tomb is literally a double bluff.
    That's just beautiful.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

In 3.5e, at least, Devils and Demons are often used to refer to LE outsiders from the Nine Hells and CE outsiders from the Abyss, respectively. Tanar’ri are the current dominant species of demon (the old species were Obyriths, and there’s a newer species called Lourma I think). Baatezu are the dominant devil species; I think their predecessors are extinct aside from Zargon.

At least, I think that’s how it goes.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvtTropes page!

Extended signature here.

19. - Top - End - #139

Loumaras are the new demon class, yes - they're usually incorporeal. Zargon's the only "Ancient Baatorian" that could be said to be on the loose - the rest tend to be frozen in ice on Caina, the 8th layer of Baator.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

Elan wastes a spell slot for no good reason.
    In 3.5, creating instrumental music with no mechanical effect on the game can be done with Ghost Sound, which Elan presumably knows. (How could Elan not know a bardic illusion spell that can create music?) And Ghost Sound is a cantrip, so a bard who knows it can cast it all day without using up a spell slot.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cminus View Post
    In 3.5, creating instrumental music with no mechanical effect on the game can be done with Ghost Sound, which Elan presumably knows. (How could Elan not know a bardic illusion spell that can create music?) And Ghost Sound is a cantrip, so a bard who knows it can cast it all day without using up a spell slot.
    In 3.5, bards only get to cast 2-4 cantrips per day depending on level, just like any other spell level.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-01 at 09:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cminus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    In 3.5, bards only get to cast 2-4 cantrips per day depending on level, just like any other spell level.

Grey Wolf
    This is the blessing and curse of pretty much everything post-3.5e(including PF) adopting infinite cantrips as an official core rule, rather than a fairly common house rule. It's often forgotten that utterly inconsequential spells like Ghost Sound took spell slots for some bizarre reason. If OOTS now was even remotely like OOTS ten years ago, we'd probably have a comic poking fun at this exact situation.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by ReedeThe23rd View Post
    This is the blessing and curse of pretty much everything post-3.5e(including PF) adopting infinite cantrips as an official core rule, rather than a fairly common house rule. It's often forgotten that utterly inconsequential spells like Ghost Sound took spell slots for some bizarre reason. If OOTS now was even remotely like OOTS ten years ago, we'd probably have a comic poking fun at this exact situation.
    I mean I agree with your general point, but OOTS a decade ago was this, and I doubt that OOTS would make fun of it.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it more weird that cantrips weren’t affected by high stats, unlike every other spell level.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

25. - Top - End - #145
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I find it more weird that cantrips weren’t affected by high stats, unlike every other spell level.
    Well...extending the bonus spell progression would mean you'd first get a "bonus" 0-level spell at stat 10...the bare minimum of being able to cast 0-level spells in the first place. Which would the fit the pattern of "you get the first bonus slot for a spell level when the ability bonus equals the spell level"; but maybe someone felt "you always have a bonus" was too silly to commit to, and 0-level spells already had "treat the spell level as one half in this particular calculation" things so adding another exception didn't sound too bad?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I mean I agree with your general point, but OOTS a decade ago was this, and I doubt that OOTS would make fun of it.
    I um what. That's roughly about where the comic was when I started reading it.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I um what. That's roughly about where the comic was when I started reading it.
    Congratulations. You're officially OLD. (says the guy joking about being old since he was sixteen)
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Simple but straightforward, with a good joke at the end. More importantly it clarifies that the Order is close enough to Kraagor's Tomb for V and Haley to make it all the way there on a recon mission and back. That probably means... something will happen soon.
    yeah, hopefully a few years worth of xykon comics!

29. - Top - End - #149

WolfInSheepsClothing

I mean. What if Sereni (and potentially others she chose to let in on it) krackooomed their gate before they built the tomb over it? She was the one who proposed that the Scribble members all go their separate ways, she may have done this to ensure that she had an excuse to keep Soon and others who wouldn't approve from looking too closely. Kraagor could well have ended up sealed in the rift world and she may have plotted to do this to try to open the gate and retrieve him. Presumably in this scenario she or another caster in the party found a way to fiddle the warning system, Girard was a sorcerer and for all we know he was working for her and volunteered to make the warning system. The explosion of the gate could've caused the rift, and then the rift and the other stuff could've been covered in extra-dimensional stone.

If the gate still exists I think it's likely completely entombed in the extradimensional stone, but given what happened with Kraagor I think there's a chance Sereni sabotaged or messed with the gate in some way to try to find Kraagor again.

Imagine how confused and disappointed Team Evil will be if they find an ungated rift.

30. - Top - End - #150

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I mean. What if Sereni (and potentially others she chose to let in on it) krackooomed their gate before they built the tomb over it?
    Then there are no Gates left and the world would already have ended due to the massive risk of the Snarl escaping. Also, there wouldn't be any point building the Gate in the first place if you then just destroyed it immediately.