New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Are These Martial Arts Movies Any Good?

I’ve been craving some quality martial arts movies, and there are several recent titles that I’ve been wondering about:

Shadow. From the preview it looks weird and moody, which I could enjoy. But it also seems to be shot in a stylized color scheme, white and black and grey, which given the title feels rather arty and pretentious. Also, whirling razor umbrellas are a new one for me.

Reign of Assassins. I watched a clip on YouTube about the beginnings of a romance between Michelle Yeoh’s character and a local guy. That was lovely in itself, but the only preview I’ve been able to find is rather generically cheesy. Not sure which really represents the movie as a whole.

Warriors of the Nation. From the preview it seems to be set roughly in the same period as Fearless, with the same political context, but much more of a straight action flick. Lone hero, White Lotus Society, yadda yadda. Probably skippable unless it has hidden depths.

14 Blades. Looks very actiony, but otherwise I can’t make any sense of what it’s supposed to be about.

So, are any of these any good?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Are These Martial Arts Movies Any Good?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’ve been craving some quality martial arts movies, and there are several recent titles that I’ve been wondering about:

Shadow. From the preview it looks weird and moody, which I could enjoy. But it also seems to be shot in a stylized color scheme, white and black and grey, which given the title feels rather arty and pretentious. Also, whirling razor umbrellas are a new one for me.
    I really enjoyed Shadow, it has a suitably Shakespearean sort of plot with some great art direction. Even ignoring the martial arts and more tragic elements, it's actually a pretty great thriller.

I wouldn't call it an especially pretentious movie, just deftly filmed in its own aesthetic. Which is far more subtle than a lot of American stylized films, like, say, the Frank Miller movie adaptations.

14 Blades. Looks very actiony, but otherwise I can’t make any sense of what it’s supposed to be about.
    It's relatively fast paced, there's a lot happening, and it isn't always coherently communicated. I don't know if I'd recommend it generally, but I especially wouldn't go into it if you're not comfortable remembering details and following it keenly. I watched it with my friends and spent a 1/4 of the actual time answering questions, and a lot my responses were "I think it's like this, maybe?".

Otherwise, I do remember solidly enjoying Reign of Assassins, but it's been too long for me to say as to why.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Reign of Assassins. I watched a clip on YouTube about the beginnings of a romance between Michelle Yeoh’s character and a local guy. That was lovely in itself, but the only preview I’ve been able to find is rather generically cheesy. Not sure which really represents the movie as a whole.
    I saw this ages ago and while it didn't leave a huge impression on me I do remember I enjoyed it. Though, checking my shelves, not enough to keep it
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow is brutal, go for it.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"