New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Savage Tide questions/concerns.

Hey guys, i am going to be participating in a Savage Tide campaign soon and I just want to get people opinions on it

I have no been able to find much on the internet where it might be overly difficult or overly easy or some things to watch out for in regards to new rules that may exist.

I have been able to find the following only in little blurbs though but I am not sure how much is true and how much is bad reading;

1) There is a lot of swimming involved and the rules in the actual adventure path conflict with the rules in the book
    2) there are a lot of DR opponents in the first few parts and not a whole lot of ways to punch through that DR
    3) items are very rare and you don't get as many as one would normally expect (i guess this is related to 2... or is 2 related to this?)

Just wondering what exactly i have to look forward to and if what I have found about it is close to accurate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Savage Tide questions/concerns.

I've only played the first part. Watch out for the rhagodessa at the beginning—it's a That Damn Crab variant, and the players are only level 1 when they encounter it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    1) There is a lot of swimming involved and the rules in the actual adventure path conflict with the rules in the book
    2) there are a lot of DR opponents in the first few parts and not a whole lot of ways to punch through that DR
    3) items are very rare and you don't get as many as one would normally expect (i guess this is related to 2... or is 2 related to this?)

Just wondering what exactly i have to look forward to and if what I have found about it is close to accurate.
    1) there's swimming involved if the party WANTS to swim. Generally swimming is discouraged or glossed over, save the times when an aquatic opponent drags you over. Early adventure there's a deep pool of water that you can cross optionally, and in the late game there's two different approaches to a dungeon, one of which is by water. You might even miss both these things.

2) I can't really recall many DR heavy enemies at inappropriate times (not including boss encounters which are meant to be hard). But the first two adventure sets are killer, and the third has a fairly easy character death baked in if you're not careful. In general things get rolling DR-wise when you get to the island but that's to be expected, this is an adventure about demons.

3) There's plenty of good items in the later game, including an easy to miss but frankly likely to find (as its in a natural resting point) weapon that will make you very happy. But the gold for the game is pretty free flowing in the middle point and once you get to the point you can teleport back to Sasserine (if you have casters) you're in a good place to spend that money. General advice, always aim for doing the most to help and completing the most side objectives, they'll yield the most gold.

And join affiliations if you have them, they provide the DM a strong stance to engage you and the adventures have little hooks and side quests for the affiliations created for the adventure

If you're playing with the Emerald Crest or Azure Cathedral (or FR-specific affiliations the Rundeen and the Order of the Flying Hunt) you'll need your own motivations and ways to advance your score, but there's a nice feeling when you're a coliseum champ or a respected government representative or noted wizard that's really rewarding from a roleplaying sense.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

We played it through to 21st level+ but with a DM who likes to adapt and add to a story, and who encourages the players to do things that seriously influence the story world. So your experience won’t be exactly like ours.

And I’m reluctant to give spoilers. But all I’ll say is that it was very fun. We had lots of plot twists, recurring villains, interesting challenges, etc. I’m sure you will too.

you really need Stormwrack, for the nautical rules (there are some nautical elements). We played starting with core plus PHB 2, DMG2 and SW (other classes, items, spells on a case by case basis) and had plenty to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian