New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default [3.5] Shadowbane Inquisitor/Blackguard

So I am looking at building a Shadowbane Inquisitor/Blackguard build, ideally I would like to trade all of my paladin levels out for blackguard levels, starting level is 15. I am thinking Hellbred just for the cool thematic idea of it. I am on the fence at how many Shadowbane Inquisitor levels I should take before jumping ship into Blackguard and what would be a good class to finish things off. For the Moment

I am thinking, Paladin5/Rogue1/Shadowbane Inquisitor6 into blackguard5/Rogue1/Shadowbane Inquisitor6/blackguard3 or Paladin5/swordsage1/Shadowbane Inquisitor6 into blackguard5/swordsage1/Shadowbane Inquisitor6/swordsage1/blackguard2 but am up for all ideas!

So far for feats I am thinking, Power Attack, Cleave, Devoted Inquisitor, Battle Blessing(have conformation it works on blackguard), and maybe Awesome Smite. Not sure up for suggestions here too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Shadowbane Inquisitor/Blackguard

Regardless of what else you do, swap Rogue for Spellthief. That allows you to use wands of any Wizard spells of the schools that class can access, namely a Wand of Wraithstrike in a wand chamber of your primary weapon.

If your effective Paladin level is 11+ you don't even need to gain a level of Blackguard first, just trade them in for Blackguard as soon as you fall, as it specifically says your character level doesn't change when doing so.

I would go Paladin 5/ Shadowbane Inquisitor 10 into Blackguard 5/ Shadowbane Inquisitor 10, trading Handle Animal for Gather Information as a class skill (and possibly also Ride for Tumble). This gets you an undead companion, which can be any medium size creature that could be made into a skeleton or zombie. You could go with a small size race and get a winged zombie companion to use as a flying mount (maybe even using Fast Zombie in LM). Or get a Forest Troll skeleton (or fast zombie) in MM3, and have someone use Awaken Undead on it so it regains its fast healing and other abilities.

Say your undead companion was created in the area of a Fell Energy Desecrate spell with an evil altar present, which will give it +6 hp per HD. If possible, also say it was created by a Dread Necromancer 8+ with the entire Corpsecrafter line of feats in LM for tons of other bonuses. Also add as many skeleton or zombie variants (depending on its type) as possible from the monsters section of Libris Mortis. Consider getting a Ring of Greater Desecration as well. Be sure to take Practiced Spellcaster for Blackguard.