Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Freelancers, The Sundered Ring (D&D 5E, Martial Gestalt, 7th Level, 3 Players)

The Ring of Seven Shadows

Just seven years ago they were the most feared and mysterious Dreadlancers the Free Kingdoms of Vel had ever known. However, they were all slain after a disastrous assault on the Vigil Order that killed nearly every Skylancer in Astronis, including Queen Silverheart. With that tragedy their story was supposed to be over, but when has life ever been that convenient? Instead their legacy continues in you, their erstwhile children. Brought together by a strange twist of fate, you must now work together as a team of Freelancers, mostly because the others of your number are being hunted down. Your only hope for survival is in Medra Chell, one of the few surviving Shadowring agents. Whether or not you can actually trust her remains to be seen.

Spoiler: The World, Basics, and Q&A
    Show

Da Basics

The game is set on the continent of Vel and the Free Kingdoms that it is comprised of. Life in Vel is dictated by the Lancers, so named for their connection to the mythical heroes that founded the Free Kingdoms and beat back the draconic armies that once threatened to wipe out all of humanity. Every Kingdom has their own unique Lancers, dictated by their primary purpose or occupation. Of course mercenary Lancers are still very much a thing. These Lancers usually follow along bloodlines and most nobility are dominated by Lancers.

Magical powers are a common occurrence and are regarded as talents rather than spells. They are usually somewhat weak, like being able to cast a cantrip or breathing underwater. Full casters, like clerics or wizards, are highly distrusted due to their role in the Chain War. Not only that, but there are severe drawbacks to being one. For instance, gaining a single level of wizard can take decades and clerics can only cast spells while in their own sacred temples. There are a few active in Vel, but never openly.

It is a human focused campaign setting, with other races being both uncommon and not trusted. The primary focus will be on a mix of roleplaying and combat. Thematically, I'm shooting for something similar to Voltron, Avatar, Thundercats, or the classic fantasy anime may like Slayers or Orphen. Basically it's not going to be grim and there will be room for jokes, romantic subplots, random side quests, general fun, etc. In that same vein it is also not going to be an OP character creation contest. Gestalt is there for customization and stylish characters.

Gameplay will take place on these forums. You make your rolls and I'll make mine. Combat will be a ready mix of Theatre of the Mind and Theatre of My Mind, which is like the same thing but a good deal more persnickety. Usual rules for combat, you don't do anything for a day and I'll do it for you.

Q and also A

The following are just preemptive answers to questions I think I'll get asked. Will update later if necessary.

I want to play X, why can't I play X?
    Most likely because this is a martial campaign for people that want to punch faces and X doesn't match that parameter.

I seriously want to play X, why don't we negotiate?
    Your repeated question makes me think you just want to build a very specific gestalted character. I am legitimately sorry, but that's not what this campaign is for.

How dark will this campaign be on a scale from one to ten?
    If 1 is PJ Masks and 10 is Warhammer 40k, I'd say it'll be 4-6. I know that's a high range, but generally how things go. Death will be a thing, but uncommon. Anything darker than that (torture, rape, vivisection, etc) is a no go. Around PG-13.

How common are magic items going to be?
    Consumables are fairly common, but everything else will be doled out sparingly. Expect magic weapons to be the reward for major quests, not just something you find at the end of a dungeon. What you are more likely to find are unique items with a few non-magical tricks, like a sword that hides smoke bombs or a grappling gun.

What level of tech is the world at?
    Steampunk I guess? It's more of a narrative thing than something that actually impacts the entire setting. Unlike Eberron, which does a really good job about factoring everything in, tech in Vel is just there to be cool. If you're wondering why grapple guns are a thing, but elevators aren't, it's just a game you should really just relax.

Wait, what do you mean by romantic sub-plots? I don't wanna kiss anybody I'm here to dungeon some dragons!
    Any romance will be fairly chaste, LGBT friendly, and completely optional. If it's something two players are interested in that's something to PM each other about.

Spoiler: Character Creation
    Show

Gestalt Creation
    Pick two different classes from the list provided below. Choose one to be your primary class. You only receive the ability score improvements, hit die, saving throws, and proficiencies from your primary class. (If either side is Fighter or Rogue they do get the additional Ability Score Improvements, even if they aren't your primary class).
    If both sides can cast you treat them as separate spell lists.

Class Restrictions
    The only classes you can play as are Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. All Unearthed Arcana is allowed, as are all official sourcebooks. If there's some homebrew you wanna try out, just ask. Use the UA Ranger if you want.

Race Restrictions
    Human and sort-of Human only. This includes Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Aasimar, Tiefling, Genasi, Goliath, Triton, Yuan-Ti Pureblood, Changeling, Shifter, Kor, Mer-folk, and Vampire (Planeshift version). All non-humans are still considered to be "human, but with some kind of magical talent or mutation".

Hitpoints and Ability Scores
    For hit points it is max at first and then average after that.
    For ability scores roll 3d6, drop the lowest, and then add +6 for each ability score.

Gear and Wealth
    Choose one of the following and then roll 1d20 on the Special Gear table. All characters start with a dagger and arrows are included. Instead of rolling on the Special Gear table or if you don't want what you got, take 800 gold instead.
    Savage
    No armor, 20 gold, 1 weapon, and a level 7 Charm that can cast a single 1st level spell 1d4 times. You choose which spell and roll to determine. Level 7 means it casts it with a +7 spellcasting bonus.
    Mercenary
    One suit of light or medium armor, 200 gold, three weapons/shield, and when you roll on the Special Gear table you may roll twice, choosing which one.
    Knight
    One suit of plate armor, 400 gold, two weapons/shield.
    Noble
    One suit of light or medium armor, 1500 gold, one weapon.
    Spoiler: Special Gear
    Show

1, Chamelon Cloak
    Cloak made from a giant chameleon. Grants advantage on stealth checks so long as you don't move.
    2, Chakram
    Martial Throwing weapon that inflicts 1d6 Slashing damage and has a range of 30 ft. When thrown it returns to you.
    3, Shade Glasses
    These dark glasses grant advantage on saves against attacks that require eye contact, such as a Basilik's gaze.
    4, Multi-Tool
    A rather ingenious tool that is hand held, but can be used in place of a large kit like Thieve's Tools or Artisan's Tools (choose one).
    5, Explosive
    A densely packed wooden explosive about the size of a human fist. When ignited it deals 12d6 Fire damage in a 50 ft radius. If the wick is properly lit it ignites in 1d4 rounds. If not it ignites in 1d12 rounds.
    6, Reinforced Blade
    This martial slashing weapon (your choice) deals +1d6 damage against objects.
    7, Knuckle Dusters
    Simple light weapons that deal 1d6 Bludgeoning damage and attempts made to disarm the wearer of them have disadvantage.
    8, Hooked Shoes
    These shoes set with claws grant advantage on all Athletics checks made to climb something.
    9, Poison of a Deathknell Spider?
    This is maybe an incredibly powerful poison. When ingested, the person who ingested it rolls 1d8. On an 8 the poison is the real deal and they must then make a DC 22 Constitution save or take 15d6 Poison damage. Otherwise, it does nothing.
    10, Dust Pouch
    This small pouch contains various metals designed to test for different shapeshifters. Each only has a single charge, but it contains silver for lycanthropes, sanctified copper for fiends, lead for ghosts, and cold iron for fey. Each dust also deals 1 damage if it matches up.
    11, Katana
    Treat this weapon as a longsword, but you definitely feel more impressive.
    12, Eldinar the Horse
    He is truly an exceptional warhorse. All handle animal checks made to ride him have advantage and he has a speed of 70 ft instead of 60.
    13, Gliding Cape
    When grabbed at the edges this cape can slow your descent, allowing you to ignore fall damage. It might take time to reach the ground, so be careful.
    14, Rare Artifact
    This bit of jewelry is worth 10000 gold to the right collector, but now you just need to find them.
    15, Tower Bow
    This longbow requires a Strength of at least 12 to use and has the same range values as a regular longbow. However, it grants disadvantage on standard range attacks instead of long range.
    16, "Magic" Robes
    These long fanciful robes have many hidden pockets. All Sleight of Hand checks made to hide things in them have advantage.
    17, Secret Identity
    You have a whole other life, including any necessary clothes and documentation. All Deception checks you make to assume that person's identity have advantage.
    18, Serrated Dagger
    This serrated knife deals an additional +2 damage when it inflicts a critical hit.
    19, Warrior's Torch
    A rather ingenious design, this torch is designed to produce both light and pain. Treat it as a martial weapon that deals 1d6 fire damage.
    20, Discount Extra Large Healing Potion
    It's not very good, but there's a lot of it. Has 10 charges that can be used to restore 1d4 hit points each.

Backgrounds
    Any official background is fine. For your actual character story, I prefer to have material to work with than not. The "Ten-Minute Background" is a good thing to use if you have trouble and I do mandate some kind of image. Mandatory background stuff includes your parent who was the Shadowring and a physical description of your own character.

Feats
    Variant Human is an option and you can take feats instead of ability score improvements.

Spoiler: The World, Expanded
    Show

Lancers
    These are the go to heroes of Vel and have corresponding expectations. Mercenary Lancers are viewed with suspicion at best and hatred at worse, especially if they're seen as abandoning their duty. How the different kingdoms fare against each other is heavily dependent on how many Lancers they can bear. There are different kinds of Lancers and what kind you are depends on what you do. Most Lancers awaken to their powers at ages 15-20. In general, Lancers are more physically powerful than ordinary people, can live for twice as long, and rarely show signs of aging outside their last few decades of life.
    Knight Lancers are the personal Lancers of each Kingdom.
    Freelancers are legitimate mercenaries who work for coin, but are still usually tied to a single Kingdom.
    Dreadlancers are assassins and criminals who use their abilities for personal gain.
    Iron Lancers swear loyalty to a specific individual and serve them above all others. It is uncommon for anyone outside of royalty to have an Iron Lancer.
    Bloodlancers are professional monster hunters and swear loyalty to the guild of the same name instead of a Kingdom.

The Four Gods
    There are three primary deities that people pray to Vel. Each is considered to be cruel and impartial, not a being whose attention you want drawn to you. People more often lay praises to one of the original Lancers, resulting in mostly ancestor worship.
    Bornias, God of Nature
    While all deities are seen as uncaring, none more so is Bornias. He is seen as completely intractable and simply insures balance is maintained. Good crops are the result of hard work; a tsunami is the uncaring hand of Bornias.
    Miskial, Goddess of Life
    The most capricious of deities, Miskial is said to take the most active role in the world and is very much a double edged sword. She sees no difference between the birth of a healthy baby and the creation of some aberrant abomination. All life is equal in her eyes and what happens to it afterwards is of no concern.
    Celine, Goddess of Death
    It is said that a spirit goes to Celine who transmutes it into raw matter for her sister Celine. Only the most worthy of lives retain their experiences and Celine is the great arbiter of this, taking special care with those whose nature warrant it.
    Velkas, God of Battle
    The natural inclination towards violence found in all things is the doing of Velkas. It is said he wants nothing more than the entire world drowned in blood and those who despise war curse his name, though they do so quietly.

The Free Kingdoms of Vel
    Astronis
    Located in the center of Vel is Astronis. Once it was one of the most powerful kingoms, but the Shadowring proved to be their downfall. Queen Landrian ascended to the throne at fifteen following the death of her mother and has fought just to keep power. Though it retains much of the art and academies, it now lacks the Skylancers needed to protect them and relies heavily on Freelancers.
    Devonar
    Located to the northwest of Astronis is Devonar. While most kingdoms place emphasis on their Lancers, Devonar goes beyond that and automatically awards nobility to anyone who awakens as one. That said, they take it away from any that do not awaken by 21. This customs is mainly due to the large numbers of monsters that plague their land and refusal to pay the high prices set by the Bloodlancers.
    Jhall
    Located to the north of Astronis is Jhall. It is the only place in Vel that has open worship of the Three Gods and thus one of the few places that can grant clerical healing. Most consider those from there to be superstitious and backwards minded, but the benefits of healing are great. Most with the gold to receive it do so gladly, though still deny it if asked.
    Brunel
    Located to the northeast of Astronis is Brunel. They are not only the main point of contact for the Dragon Holds, but are also home to more Freelancers and Dreadlancers than any other kingdom. Every citizen in Brunel is fiercely their own and they do not believe in nobility. Most from outside their own kingdom find them contentious.
    Hisken
    Located to the east of Astronis is Hisken. Their citizens regularly mix with elven kind and have adopted many of their ways. Seen as a strange by most, they're led by an elected council and swiftly change laws as needed.
    Chinato
    Located to the southeast of Astronis is Chinato. Lacking in a large number of Lancers, this small kingdom instead focuses on technological and alchemical improvements. Most of the potions and unguents sold throughout Vel were developed in Chinato and what few Lancers they have are equipped with the best gear that can be found.
    Decus
    Located to the south of Astronis is Decus. It is incredibly bountiful, both in land and in spirit. Mostly pacifistic, Lancers are rarely given special consideration. They instead focus on the arts, culture, and attaining knowledge. What mainly keeps them safe is supplying nearly everyone else with food and entertainment.
    Tovaird
    Located to the southwest of Astronis is Tovaird. If Vel on relies on Decus for food they rely on Tovaird just as much for metal. Every other citizen in Tovaird is a miner, smith, merchant, or some mixture of the three. A king, normally a Lancer, holds the largest mines and keeps the nobility in check. Tovaird can be a violent place, especially for the unprepared.
    Morcanos
    Located to the west of Astronis is Morcanos. Half of their wealth and resources comes from the sea. The other half comes from their Lancers. Kingdom law dictates intense training for any that awaken, with any that refuse or fail being banished. This results in a volatile kingdom, especially since it is always led by a Triumvirate of the strongest Lancers.

Outside of Vel
    Vel is bordered by the Zavon jungles to the south, the Wild Plains to the east, and the Wingfall Mountains to the north. To the west lies the Silent Seas.
    Zavon Jungles

Jungles are a bit of a misnomer. Over half of Zavon is just desert, but that's not what explorers like to focus on. Instead they talk of reptilian temples to forgotten gods, impossible beauties, and all manner of powerful intoxicants.
    Wild Plains
    A truly chaotic and unpredictable place, human records regarding it are spotty. It is definitely the home of the elves as well as dozens of other Fey, but not much more is known beyond that. Twice the size of Vel, only the inherently contentious nature of its inhabitants keeps it from being a major threat.
    Wingfall Mountains
    This large mountain range is home to Dragon Holds. Large underground citizens that are mostly populated by the Dragonborn, each is ruled by a single dragon who are rarely interested in matters outside their own domain.
    Silent Seas
    So called because nothing is out there. Specifically, because any ship that goes much further beyond a small group of islands that comprise Farinsvar never comes back.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Freelancers, The Sundered Ring (D&D 5E, Martial Gestalt, 7th Level, 3 Players)

This looks pretty interesting. Do ability scores fall where they may? Or do we put them in order?

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]

Edit: I swear I need to go recheck the dice codes every time I roll.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-04-01 at 05:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Freelancers, The Sundered Ring (D&D 5E, Martial Gestalt, 7th Level, 3 Players)

Show
    (3d6b2)[2][2][6](10) 14
    (3d6b2)[2][5][6](13) 17
    (3d6b2)[3][3][3](9) 12
    (3d6b2)[2][4][5](11) 15
    (3d6b2)[5][6][1](12) 17
    (3d6b2)[1][3][4](8) 13
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-04-01 at 05:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

This does sound rather cool. Big fan of Avatar, so would be intrigued to play something vaguely in that style.

Let me roll some dice and see what happens:
    Show

(3d6b2)[8]
    (3d6b2)[9]
    (3d6b2)[6]
    (3d6b2)[7]
    (3d6b2)[6]
    (3d6b2)[5]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'll give this a go, might try for a monk for maximum punching.

(3d6b2)[9]
    (3d6b2)[8]
    (3d6b2)[9]
    (3d6b2)[6]
    (3d6b2)[11]
    (3d6b2)[8]
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

This seems interesting

(3d6b2)[5] = 11
    (3d6b2)[8] = 14
    (3d6b2)[8] = 14
    (3d6b2)[5] = 11
    (3d6b2)[7] = 13
    (3d6b2)[12] = 18
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-01 at 11:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Would an Enforcer be acceptable? I feel like it fits the martial scheme of this game.

Would probably combine with Paladin.

(3d6b2)[11]
    (3d6b2)[5]
    (3d6b2)[12]
    (3d6b2)[11]
    (3d6b2)[7]
    (3d6b2)[12]

Stat rolls.

Final rolls are:

Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-04-01 at 11:36 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Current thoughts are Rogue//Vengeance Paladin here, need to think it through a bit more though.

9. - Top - End - #9

(1d20)[11]

Forgot to roll for that special gear.

Edit: Welp. 800 GP it is!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-04-01 at 11:40 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    (1d20)[11]

Forgot to roll for that special gear.

Edit: Welp. 800 GP it is!
    Good point.

(1d20)[11] - Wow, whole bunch of taking 800gp instead of a katana going around, especially given that this is gonna be a dex build.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-04-01 at 11:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

This looks interesting and unusual. I've got a couple ideas bouncing around, I'll see what comes out.

Show
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]

And for equipment: (1d20)[1]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Gosh, I messed that up. I forgot you couldn't add to rolls like that.
    Spoiler: Rolls, take 2
    Show
    (3d6b2)[8]=14
    (3d6b2)[9]=15
    (3d6b2)[8]=14
    (3d6b2)[9]=15
    (3d6b2)[11]=17
    (3d6b2)[9]=15
    Last edited by Waxpapers; 2020-04-01 at 12:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomeWizardGuy

So I am thinking of making a martial class mixed with Arcane Trickster, and I have 2 questions.

1. What is the expected setting? More dungeon crawl/exploration or urban/social adventure.

2. How would spells and spell slots work if I mixed a 1/2 and 1/3 caster? Do I add both spell slots together?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    So I am thinking of making a martial class mixed with Arcane Trickster, and I have 2 questions.

1. What is the expected setting? More dungeon crawl/exploration or urban/social adventure.

2. How would spells and spell slots work if I mixed a 1/2 and 1/3 caster? Do I add both spell slots together?
    Each track is separate, as stated in the OP, if I'm reading it right.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomeWizardGuy

Final rolls are:

Nice rolls! These must be due to the ability score karma you've built by letting people pick their scores when you DM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Nice rolls! These must be due to the ability score karma you've built by letting people pick their scores when you DM.
    Considering the crap luck I've had in the past, I'll take it. :P

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Neat setting. Kind of reminds me of the Black Company books a bit. Interesting to see that go in a more Avatar adventure style direction.

So what are Skylancers specifically?
    Freelancers made me laugh. Well done.
    Celine's entry says she "transmutes it into raw matter for her sister Celine". Is this supposed to say Miskial? Or does she just have a sister with her same name?

To be clear about what kinds of characters we're making, we're the children of Dreadlancers but we personally could have been any kind of the lancers or... no?

Why would you taunt us by mentioning grapple guns but not have them in the Special Gear!?

Show

(3d6b2)[11] = 17
    (3d6b2)[7] = 13
    (3d6b2)[12] = 18
    (3d6b2)[6] = 12
    (3d6b2)[5] = 11
    (3d6b2)[7] = 13

Not bad rolls, not bad at all.
    Edit: Though apparently pretty tame compared to other people's so far. Wow.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-01 at 02:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Phantos_Argent: Would you approve of any of my homebrew archetypes found here? Final Fantasy Inspired Archetypes
    Dragoon seems like it would be especially fitting since it would result in a Lancer that actually uses a lance.
    Edit: If you allow Dragoon and Mugger I'm absolutely combining those because the idea of stealing people's stuff off them with the point of a lance is very amusing.

Roll for Special Gear: (1d20)[5]
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-01 at 02:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

So, given my rolls, I think I'm going to lean into the chameleon cloak aesthetic with a robin hood-esque ranger/rogue. My basic idea would be a folk hero and former noble, perhaps hailing from Tovaird, who was forced to flee the family estate when their dreadlancer parent was killed. They now fight to get rid of the powerful and entrenched nobles (and perhaps return themselves to power). I should have a sheet together soonish.

20. - Top - End - #20

GnomeWizardGuy

Special Item Roll

(1d20)[8]

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

Ability scores!
    (3d6b2)[9]
    (3d6b2)[4]
    (3d6b2)[8]
    (3d6b2)[7]
    (3d6b2)[8]
    (3d6b2)[9]

Magic item
    (1d20)[3]

Ill build depending on the rolls, but currently considering an inquisitve Rogue/Gloom stalker, but not sure yet

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomeWizardGuy

Here is Raka Canalla, Kor gloom stalker / battle master, noble playboy seeking redemption.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

(I can change his appearance to look more like a common human if that fits better.)

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Raka carries himself with confidence. Despite this and his love for earthly pleasures, he is somewhat quiet around large groups. He prefers to talk to people one on one than lead a group. He is good looking, tall and thin with the characteristic grey skin and white hair of a Kor. His white tattoos are permanent and, along with his armor and clothes, denote his station as a noble.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Raka grew up in a wealthy noble family led by Strengur Canalla, Raka’s father. Raka never took to the business side of the family, preferring to spend his days traveling and enjoying life. He was the misfit of the family, barely tolerated by his stoic father. He was taught fighting and archery to be a soldier and eventually a Lancer. While he was talented, he preferred the taverns and brothels to the battlefield. Besides, Raka had three older brothers to carry on the family name - Posten, Macanta, and Onesti. All hardworking, disciplined men who loved Raka but thought little of his carefree ways. Raka's parents and brothers were all Skylancers. Everyone looked up to them. Raka didn't believe in that kind of sacrifice, so when the day came to go to the Vigil Order, Raka was nowhere to be found. He was passed out in an alley behind a tavern and didn't wake up until long after everyone had left. His entire family was all killed during the assault on the Vigil Order. Raka feels tremendous guilt for not going with them. Even now, though, he is not sure if being a Lancer is the right way to fix the world, but he wants to find out more about the enemy that killed his family, especially now that it is hunting him.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-03 at 12:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

So im going on the mercenary package, a half elf Samurai//Swashbuckler.

rerolling for magic item
    (1d20)[19]

Edit - could I count the torch weapon as a finessable one?
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2020-04-01 at 03:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Modigar View Post
    This looks pretty interesting. Do ability scores fall where they may? Or do we put them in order?

Show
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]
    [rollv]3d6k2[/rollv]

Edit: I swear I need to go recheck the dice codes every time I roll.
    You put them in order.

Would an Enforcer be acceptable? I feel like it fits the martial scheme of this game.

Would probably combine with Paladin.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Stat rolls.

Final rolls are:

Enforcer is fine.

It's a mix of both with the exact amount dependent on party actions.

You keep both spell progressions separate, though I would honestly prefer not to have two altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Neat setting. Kind of reminds me of the Black Company books a bit. Interesting to see that go in a more Avatar adventure style direction.

So what are Skylancers specifically?
    Freelancers made me laugh. Well done.
    Celine's entry says she "transmutes it into raw matter for her sister Celine". Is this supposed to say Miskial? Or does she just have a sister with her same name?

To be clear about what kinds of characters we're making, we're the children of Dreadlancers but we personally could have been any kind of the lancers or... no?

Why would you taunt us by mentioning grapple guns but not have them in the Special Gear!?

Show

[roll0] = 17
    [roll1] = 13
    [roll2] = 18
    [roll3] = 12
    [roll4] = 11
    [roll5] = 13

Not bad rolls, not bad at all.
    Edit: Though apparently pretty tame compared to other people's so far. Wow.
    It was just a typo.

You're their kids, but you probably weren't raised as one since the Shadowring was all about secrecy. At home, assuming they were an active parent, they were someone completely different. Or maybe they were a Dreadlancer and you loved them anyways, so now you're taking the opportunity to get your revenge.

Grapple Gun is too good to put on the same list as Discount Extra Large Healing Potion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Phantos_Argent: Would you approve of any of my homebrew archetypes found here? Final Fantasy Inspired Archetypes
    Dragoon seems like it would be especially fitting since it would result in a Lancer that actually uses a lance.
    Edit: If you allow Dragoon and Mugger I'm absolutely combining those because the idea of stealing people's stuff off them with the point of a lance is very amusing.

Roll for Special Gear: [roll0]
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to say no to the Dragoon. It just gets way more than most other archetypes and Jump is super good. Mugger is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    So im going on the mercenary package, a half elf Samurai//Swashbuckler.

rerolling for magic item
    [roll0]

Edit - could I count the torch weapon as a finessable one?
    Nah, it's pretty heavy.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ufela "Limbtwister" Ironheart

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Ufela was born on the road, and lost within a week of her birth. She ended up in the streets of a large city, where she ended up bouncing from orphanage to orphanage for over a decade. Eventually, fed up with uncaring adults, she struck out on her own, finding nooks and crannies to sleep in. A bit difficult, given her large body, but she managed. Unlike others like her, she was never afraid-when someone mocked her, she mocked right back. If someone hit her, she hit back. As such... She got pretty good at fighting.

Eventually, though, she caught the attention of the Ironhearts-a clan of people in her home city. They had heard of a woman who wandered the streets, and were curious. So, they did a little research, investigating those who knew her (both friend and foe), and learned that she was, surprisingly, only fourteen years old, and an orphan besides. Orin Ironheart, one of Ironheart's dads*, found her at a bar, where she was earning some scratch as a bouncer. He talked to her, asked about her... Cared about her. It was an unfamiliar feeling for Ufela. He offered her a place to stay for the night, and for once, Ufela accepted.

*As-in, a father within the Ironheart, not a founding member.

After that, she began to integrate into the family. They were hard-fighters and workers, every one of them-but they were fair, and they loved each other fiercely. Ufela felt at home. She had family, finally. They taught her much-honing her fighting style, basic etiquette, how to work stone, and even a little magic.

And then, just recently, tragedy struck. Ufela, now twenty two, found her father Orin dead. He had stumbled to the door, bleeding heavily, and managed to get out just a few words before passing. "They're coming... For you, Ufela..."

Ufela know she had to leave-she could not endanger her family. So she left, without a word.

Phsyically, Ufela is big. About seven and a half feet big, with muscles to match. She shaves her head, and has dark skin.

Her parent in the Shadowring was a rather harsh man. Vile, in name and nature. Vile didn't really lose Ufela-at least, not on accident. He then made sure no one worthwhile took her in. If asked, he claimed it was to toughen her up. He was lying, of course-he's just a terrible person who enjoys the suffering of others-but at least he had an excuse. After his death, the Ironhearts finally heard of Ufela, and being the kind, caring people they are, took her in.

Mechanical question! May I use Smite spells, Divine Smite, and all that kinda stuff on Improvised Weapons and Unarmed Strikes? I don't want to wield a weapon, I just want to punch people/grab chairs and wham people with them.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-04-01 at 08:48 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, well if Dragoon is out, can I do Echo Fighter? (You did say any printed material, but this one is pretty new so I'm not just going to assume you've looked it over yet.)

Also, how do you feel about the Tunnel Fighter fighting style?

Edit: Would it be possible to swap my Special Gear I rolled for the Gliding Cape? It'd really well fit the Shifter (Giant Red Flying Squirrel) I'm thinking of doing. And my character art even has a cape.

Edit 2: Nvm all of this, see later post.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-02 at 11:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

(3d6b2)[11](3d6b2)[10](3d6b2)[7](3d6b2)[8](3d6b2)[9](3d6b2)[9]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

In order, huh? Let's see what's feasible...

[roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]
    [roll]3d6b2+6[/roll]

Currently Recruiting: Beware Of Bites!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Ah right, forgot.

(3d6b2)[3]
    (3d6b2)[9]
    (3d6b2)[7]
    (3d6b2)[7]
    (3d6b2)[11]
    (3d6b2)[9]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Special: (1d20)[3]