Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Looking for a GM and players for a Digimon game

Is anyone else looking forward to the reboot airing soon? A Digimon game would be fun. We could use this rule book I found while rummaging around online, or if the GM would have something else in mind, more power to you. Would anyone else be interested?
    Last edited by Gwlchmai; 2020-04-01 at 10:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a GM and players for a Digimon game

Always down for playing Digimon, even though I never have really.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I am always up for some Digimon fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm glad you guys are willing to join, I wasn't even sure if anyone else would want to jump in, thanks! I hope a GM will take interest, this quarantine is boring me out of my mind.

5. - Top - End - #5

Of course people would want to join, there's actually digimon fans lol. But yea I'm interested too.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

If nobody steps up to DM I do have a project that never actually started that I could give another try.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis View Post
    Of course people would want to join, there's actually digimon fans lol. But yea I'm interested too.
    Honestly I wasn't sure anymore since I haven't found any other people who like Digimon for a long while, which was a little lonely since I had nobody to talk to about the games and shows haha. I'm glad to be proven wrong though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastWesker View Post
    If nobody steps up to DM I do have a project that never actually started that I could give another try.
    We can give it a bit more time to wait for one to show up, but I'm curious now, could you tell us more about your project?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

I stopped watching digimon when they became armors. But I loved the one with growlmon and renamon. Season 3 I think.

I didnty know there was a roleplay system for Digimon... mind telling us more?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

https://digimon-digital-adventures.tumblr.com/handbooks <-- This is the most recent...I think... version of Digimon: Digital Adventures Tabletop RPG which is the system I've (tried) to use in the past.

It's alright, I think; kinda reminds me of some of the non-d20 style pen and papers I've come across, but infinitely better than the ungodly mess that the Naruto RPG book was, which has nothing in alphabetical order and was a pain to fail at.

(Sadly, I can't run a game but I'm another guy with interest, at least, depending on how this turns out.)
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, yeah, that's the one I was going to post. Or, at least, was trying to post but the site wouldn't let me because my post count is too low or something. I've heard of the Naruto RPG book but never got around to taking a look into it, sounds like I was better off that way. I guess it's somewhat reassuring to know that the Digimon book passes that (very low) bar at least haha. You said you only got as far as trying though, did you run into problems with the book?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

To clarify, I have built characters using this system before but ..if I'm remembering this correctly, the games that used this never got very far or died during the recruiting.

I've never run a Digimon game.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, alright.. well, with any luck, this'll be the one game you'll be in that won't be dead!
    We've got a good number of players going, we just need a GM now.
    Last edited by Gwlchmai; 2020-04-03 at 09:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The third series was pretty good! It's my favorite too.
    If you're still wondering, the rulebook I had in mind to use was the one linked above by Tonberry. I couldn't post the link myself yet because I'm a new member but yeah.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I am one of the weirdos who liked Frontier. Up until they did that weird thing where only two of the 5 kids got final forms because blah blah something something plot.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the third season is still the best. I cannot stand the second series though. Only liked two of the kids and the dubbing at the time (I'm old.) was just too effing stupid that it chased me out of the room.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwlchmai View Post
    We can give it a bit more time to wait for one to show up, but I'm curious now, could you tell us more about your project?
    It was, for lack of a better term, a Pokemon game with Digimon. A sandbox game, focusing on exploration, special challenges (that are somewhat similar to Gym battles) and gathering as many Digimon as you can.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Would be interested

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Would we have one legitimate partner digimon for our human? With multiple forms? That's usually more or the draw of digimon than to cycle out dozens of different ones...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It was, for lack of a better term, a Pokemon game with Digimon. A sandbox game, focusing on exploration, special challenges (that are somewhat similar to Gym battles) and gathering as many Digimon as you can.
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing as Tonberry. Having the one irreplaceable Digimon partner that you bond and grow with is one of the main appeals of Digimon, I think. Or do you mean gathering Digimon like in the sense of the Digimon World games where the player explored the world solving its problems while trying to convince Digimon they meet along the way to join their village to help it grow? Or, maybe even like Xros Wars when each of the three MC factions gathered Digimon from different zones to join their armies to fight the BBEG with? Or, did you just mean in the actual Pokemon sense of "collect them all"?

And Tonberry, you're not alone, I liked Frontier too haha. Maybe it's the nostalgia since I loved the Digimon designs when I first saw them on tv and getting to be the Digimon seemed cool to me at the time. They really did shaft the rest of the children which was frustrating and disappointing but, at least they gave us KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon, which are still some of my favorite Digimon designs up to this day.
    Last edited by Gwlchmai; 2020-04-04 at 01:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Nothing stops you from having a favourite Digimon, but it's more similar to video games then the anime.

21. - Top - End - #21

Nothing stops you from having a favourite Digimon, but it's more similar to video games then the anime.
    I enjoy the games so I would love to play one like that. I could build a dream team of a few Digimon.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's honestly not the kind of game I had in mind exactly when I first made this thread, but I'm willing to give it a go if you're willing to GM and others are willing to play!
    Last edited by Gwlchmai; 2020-04-04 at 04:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Oh okay that's not what I had in mind when posting interest. Best of luck with your game!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I gotta say, my interest is also tenuous at the moment because the Human/Rookie partnership is one of the key elements for me wanting to play a Digimon game... Apart from the whole digital world aspect it's one of the things that really differentiates it from pokemon.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-04-04 at 09:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Theoretically more than one game could start out of this.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The problem with one partner Digimon style is that it requires a story centred around your character, and in a PbP game people tend to disappear after 3-5 posts. Been there, done that, don't wanna go through that again. In a gotta catch 'em all Gym challenge run kinda game you make your own story and when you disappear other people can continue to play without you.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That's fair, I can understand where you're coming from since I've been in games where a guy or two just vanishes. What if the story was written in a way that gives room for people to just disappear though? I feel like Digimon would be the best setting to have some leeway for people disappearing, to an extent. Like what if, let's say, due to the current chaos in the Digital World server, it's a known risk that player characters could get "disconnected" from the Digital World at any moment?

Sort of like when you're playing a multiplayer game but a teammate gets disconnected because of internet connection issues and it's up to the rest of the team to pick up the slack and continue onwards.. Or something like that, just a suggestion thrown into the wind.
    If that doesn't appeal to you though, I'd still be willing to try a more open setting game like Pokemon... as long as it's not too much like Pokemon.. because otherwise it.. wouldn't be Digimon? Idunno.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Then that story would suck. Assuming we are going with 01 style, your crests would need to be tied to the story, and if someone disappears you are still part of the story. Plus, DM needs to do a lot of prep for that, only for it to go to waste.
    Look, I know most people have a lot of free time right now, but i don't. I work 12 hour shifts. That's why I want to go with a more sandbox-y, make your own story kinda game. I love Digimon, and I don't mind spending my time on this kind of project, but I don't wanna do it if it's all for nothing.

29. - Top - End - #29

Then that story would suck. Assuming we are going with 01 style, your crests would need to be tied to the story, and if someone disappears you are still part of the story. Plus, DM needs to do a lot of prep for that, only for it to go to waste.
    Look, I know most people have a lot of free time right now, but i don't. I work 12 hour shifts. That's why I want to go with a more sandbox-y, make your own story kinda game. I love Digimon, and I don't mind spending my time on this kind of project, but I don't wanna do it if it's all for nothing.
    Personally I think it sounds like a great idea. I also am still working long shifts and not able to do it. But I just bought Cyber Sleuth. I know not everyone is wanting it but I think you'd get enough interest to run a small game.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I understand. I'm willing to play whatever kind of game you'd be kind enough to GM for us.