New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Avaritia Auri (Kezrian Faction) [IC 1]

Koval, Hel, and Vander (and possibly Hollis)

Entering the Modest Nymph, the group could see people of all genders and races rather animatedly talking and laughing over breakfast, the smell of olive oil and ham and chocolate coiling up their noses. Everything was teak and crushed velvet, and off to one side, upon a small stage, a catfolk woman could be seen animatedly playing a tune on her fiddle. A hat with several silver pieces lay at her feet. The bar was currently tended to by a Vanara with a signficant quantity of gray in his once-tan fur, who was currently barking out orders to the kitchen in the back with an air of authority that suggested he was most likely the innkeeper. Just inside the entrance, two women stood: One was quite tall, with burnished skin, burnt orange hair, and golden eyes that all marked her unmistakeably as an aasimar, and decked out in full plate. The other was shorter, with a dancer's build, and had black hair tied back in a ponytail. A chain shirt of mithril could be seen peeking out from beneath her clothes, and a katana and longbow were strapped to her back.

Going up to the bar, it was quickly ascertained that the vanara was, in fact, the innkeeper.

"So, for rooms, we have our private rooms on special at the moment - 10 gold will allow you to rent one s for a whole month, and you get up to one gold's worth of meals a day plus use of the communal bathing room for free. If you were interested in something a bit more comfortable, we do have our luxury suites as well; that will run you 100 gold per month, and you get up to 10 gold worth of meals a day free."

Once each of the party had made their selection, the innkeeper took their coin and handed over their room keys.
    "Don't forget to return these once you do leave, gentlemen, milady. Enjoy your stay!"

The speech did not begin on time, which didn't do much to quell the gathering crowd, who all looked and sounded rather impatient.

Eventually, trumpets sounded, and once more, the palanquin bearing Count Zarate emerged onto the stage, the servants as usual straining to bear its great weight. As the count rolled off and found his footing, the servants visibly reduced their strain. Trundling to the edge of a raised platform that had been erected in front of the Campeones' Fortress, the count gestured toward a man dressed in wizards robes. Gathering energy around his hands, the wizard touched the counts throat; immediately thereafter, the count began to speak, his voice having been magically amplified.

"Good people of Puerto Medial, and newcomers to our fair city! I stand before you here now, as guardian of this city, and the man entrusted by his royal majesty and the Nine to watch over this island, to speak to you about the rumors and hearsay that has been swirling around for the last month. Many of you may already know some of this, but I do ask that you bear with me, if only for the sake of those who have not heard it before."

"Undoubtedly you have heard the news about the strange door, decorated with coiling serpants and eldritch languages, that appeared in the middle of the central Nidan mountain pass. About the catacombs - of strange, ancient tombs, hidden in the earth of Nidus, which pop up for anywhere from three to seven days at a time, before retreating back down below. You have heard that they are filled with undead, traps, gold, and glory. It is true, what many of you have heard."

The crowd cheered loudly, and the count waved his hands.

"Please, please, silence. Now, while it is our way to reward ambition, I must warn all of you that these things are not to be taken lightly. The monsters that fill these crypts are no mere zombies, sluggishly trundling along while you take pot-shots at them. Mummies, ghouls, ghasts, all of these have been found within those crypts, and traps so fiendishly clever that many of our beloved guardians, our Campeones, have been wounded attempting to navigate them. Additionally, our foes on the northern side of the island, the Ilyrians, also have their own catacombs."

There was some booing at the mention of the Ilyrians, but not to the extent that it was wholly unified.

"Doubtless they are also seeking to unlock the secrets of these tombs. We cannot let them gain an advantage over us, and of course, I would be remiss if I let you all fall into danger."

The crowd began making extremely uncomfortable noises - clearly, the onlookers didn't like where this was headed.

"To that end, I am announcing some decrees. I will not be prohibiting anyone from making any raids on these tombs-"

A cheer.

"-provided that they have a license to go treasure hunting."

Dead silence. You could hear a penny drop.

"These will be available from a special booth being set up by the Eastern gate, for a modest sum of 50 florins each. Additionally, in order to finance our efforts to curb those idiotist Ilyrians, I have been instructed to raise the Treasure Tax from 15% to 20%, effective immediately. Anyone caught violating these decrees will immediately have any treasure they have confiscated, plus a fine of 1000 florins."

The boos and jeers were immediate.

"Please, please, good people, you must understand, I am simply following or-"

And that was when the rotten tomatoes and cabbages started flying. Then, at the western side of the square, the yelling reached a fever pitch - looking down, it appeared that several of the onlookers had started an all-out brawl!

"Stop them! Guards, guards! Suppress this immediately! The rest of you, floor it!"

With a speed that seemed wholly impossible given his supreme girth, the Count leapt into the palanquin, and was immediately carted off down an alley to safety, accompanied by some of the Campeones. The rest dove forward, intent on quelling the brawl and those who had not ceased chucking produce, while most of the outlying audience began to scatter.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-08 at 09:25 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Sakura wound her way through the patrons of the inn, trying her best not to bump into anyone as she passed by while keeping a hand close to the hilt of her blade. She approached the bar and gave the Vanara her most winning smile. "Good day! How much for your best room?"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33

Sakura

The Vanara turned at Sakura's query, idly polishing the counter as he answered her.

"A good morning, madam. If you're interested in our absolute best rooms possible, you would want to check out our luxury suites. We are running a special on them, at the moment; it will cost you 100 gold to rent them for a month, and you get up to 10 gold worth of meals a day free. Absolute most comfortable rooms you'll be able to get in the city unless you shell out the money to lease a house or whatnot."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

"If Feidha blesses me, I shall not be in this town for so long as to require that," Sakura explained. She drew her money purse out from its hiding place and counted out the money into a small pile. "I will take it. Now, do you have any tea?"

5. - Top - End - #35

Sakura

Taking Sakura's coin, the Vanara handed her a key. "Don't forget to return these once you do leave, milady. Enjoy your stay! Now, for the tea, just give me a few minutes and I'll have that right out to you." Shouting out her order to the back kitchen, the Vanara subsequently went about his further business, including renting out some rooms to a group of people that looked to be far-better equipped than most of the usual customers: A half-elf with uncommonly pale skin and hair, but with eyes as black as ink, and dressed in blue silk with an adamantine bastard sword strapped to his back. A woman in wizard's garb. And an elf, also in wizard's garb, with surprisingly immaculate hair.

Around five minutes later, the Vanara handed Sakura a cup of rich black tea, freshly steaming and hot. "Milk or sugar, milady?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-09 at 12:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Hel leaned over the balcony rail precariously as she's listened to the Count's speech, his magically enhanced voice carrying easily over to their Inn. She snickered as he was pelted with rotten vegetables but her smirk faded quickly.

"Twenty percent? That's highway robbery." She rested her elbows on the rail and pouted.

"Fifty gold for a license, that's most of what I have left... they don't even have to rob us we're willingly giving them our life savings." Her eyes caught Vander's.

"Well, my life. I know some lives are longer than others." She wrinkled her nose playfully at the centenarian and crossed her arms, trying to decide how old Hollis was without outright asking him. She had manners. Manners? Oh!

"Koval! Ah, thanks for fronting the apartments." She smiled at the half-elf even as the brawl was breaking out down below. She whirled back to the chaos.

"Do you think it'll change any of the price-gouging policies if that keeps happening?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

"Neither, thank you." Sakura smiled, took the tea, and bowed slightly. She blew on the tea, took a sip, and gave a small sigh of contentment. It was nice to be treated politely, even if it was because she had spent far more gold than she probably should have fresh off the ship. She took her drink and turned to search for Robin. Perhaps the other woman would like to split the cost of the rooms?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vander stared at the chaos bellow chuckling at the sight of Campeones getting what they deserve before raising tempted. He began sweating as he absorbed the atmosphere of the square until he was distracted by Hel's snide remarks. He chuckled back at her with a wry smile

"Hel when you live a life as storied as mine you'll realize that gold flows out the pocket as water out of a canteen, especially if you seek to live larger than mere filth."

Vander paused remembering his old estate "HMM, maybe I should sell my Schatteneiche estate, I wasted a century with that stuffy ******* s, and I don't plan on wasting anymore there."

When she mentioned the riot his smile became a mischievous grin "Who knows how this chaos will impact prices, maybe we should toss a magical missile or two down to spice things up! Haha."
    Last edited by Lleban; 2020-04-10 at 12:07 AM.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Hollis seemed to have a talent for going unnoticed, particularly now that he was separated from the larger of his creations. He had ordered Ragbag to remain outside, behind the inn near the stables, with orders to simply 'guard the cart.'

He remained in a shadowed corner, listening intently to the contents of the speech and gauging the reactions of the crowd, and his newfound 'partners' with interest.
    "...It is my understanding more than one of us are in possession of a letter of introduction to certain mercantile powers in town. We may be able to secure a license through them, perhaps at a discount? This island seems primed to bleed us of every groat if we let it; we must needs be prepared to wheel and deal if we are to keep our heads above water, as it were. Barring any more pressing business, I propose we put these letters to good use forthwith."

(Hollis will pay the 10 gp for a month of roomy-dooms and eaty-peeps for his facey-hole.)

10. - Top - End - #40

Vander looked around for the rotund wizard, briefly forgetting there was a fourth person in the room before nodding his head in agreement. This human knew his stuff.

Vander got up motioning the rotund wizard toward him "Alright Hollis lets head to the South Nidus Merchant's Guild, ideally Don will be open to negotiations.

Turning to Hel and Koval he added: "Meanwhile you young reprobates can locate that criminal contact and maybe the bard too. May the negotiations end favorably."

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Hel looked at the rotund wizard with a new appreciation.

"Yeah, good idea! Maybe the Hand has a way of avoiding the taxes too. That would be handy." A small dimple appeared in her right cheek at she smirked at herself.

"Reprobate? Wow you do care." Hel brought her hands to her heart and smiled at the elder Wizard mockingly.

"Koval, you up for it..." Just as the words left her mouth, she could feel the magic she had cast upon herself fade and she fanned her hair out on the palm of her hand and frowned. The hair which had previously appeared platinum was now a gleaming silvery-blue.

"Pfff has it been an hour already?" She looked at Hollis sheepishly to gauge his reaction.

"My hair normally looks like this. It's not a big deal or whatever, I just disguise it cause I don't like the attention. Well... I don't need the attention. Well... it's not always good to have it anyway." She tossed her head and the prismatic strands reflected the colors of the room. She touched the bone amulet that hung from her choker and her hair resumed the platinum disguise.

"Alright... now I'm ready to go if you are." Embarrassed, she looked everywhere but her companions faces as if she'd been caught in the middle of getting undressed.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Sipping a glass of water, Koval watched the chaos below with interest. He'd suspected that public order on Nidus was a tenuous thing, but the governor being pelted with rotten vegetables like come common busker took him by surprise. Turning to his companions, he nodded appreciatively at Hollis's suggestion before Hel's glamer faded. Her discomfort brought a sympathetic smile to his face, and he touched her shoulder gently.

"I'll need a few moments."

Pushing through the balcony doors, he found his sea bag deposited in the main room. Untying the knotted seal at one end, he started fishing through the oiled canvas, retrieving piece after piece of burnished black armor. Practiced fingers moved buckles and straps into place, covering the blue silk of his clothes in an unyielding second skin. Running fingers through his short white hair, he finished with a padded coif and a helmet of uncanny design. Black eyes lost in the shadows of the helm's brow, he looked back towards Hel as he buckled his scabbard to a sword belt.

"Now we can make our introductions."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Hel's blush had faded by the time Koval had donned his armor. It returned as she realized she'd been staring.

"You're dressed to impress. If we're going all out..." Hel fished around in her satchel and pulled out a long black item.

"It's my good parasol." She swung it over her shoulder and paused, considering. She let her disguise go and she touched the strands and shrugged ruefully.

"A little hint of the unusual might help our cause." She grinned and sauntered to the door.

"Alright, now I think we're ready." As they approached the Flatulent Quartermaster, she reviewed her instructions.

"I'm supposed to find a man in a people suit and tell him Our Uncle has a message." She walked through the inn door and scanned the room.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2020-04-12 at 01:47 AM.
    #Notallinfluencers

14. - Top - End - #44

Hel and Koval

The Flatulent Quartermaster stank only slightly less than its namesake.

This close to the harbor, the smell of salt was omnipresent in the air, and it mixed with something far more foul-smelling. Looking down the block, it was readily apparent that the Quartermaster was located just on the edge of what appeared to be the rough side of town; the buildings past here, in contrast to the stone sheds of the harbor and the terra cotta and brick of the center of town, were made from wood, and the salt air was not kind to many of them. The smell of rot and dumpoff from buildings that lacked sewer access was apparent, and those buildings that had paint were badly flaking. The Quartermaster was painted a rather garish green, and it appeared as if whoever had painted it recently had just gone over an older coat and given fairly little regard to avoiding splattering the windows, which had metal grates over them and no glass. A dim chatter could be heard from inside.

Opening the door, Hel and Koval were greeted by a male catfolk and a female tengu, each wearing an eyepatch; the catfolk on the right, the tengu on the left. Each of them eyed the pair before stepping aside.

"Don't start nothing."

Stepping inside, Hel and Koval were greeted by a straw floor and several different wooden benches, the majority of which were occupied. The half-orc, catfolk, and dwarf trio from earlier could be seen at their own table, furiously whispering to each other over what appeared to be a map of Nidus proper. Various locals were at the other tables, drinking what looked to be heavily watered down ale and playing cards. At the bar, which was currently tended to by a half-elf in a surprisingly clean and well-fitting set of clothes, a woman of what appeared to be Asahian origin sat drinking wine, talking with the bartender. Beside her sat a man in black robes and a hood, looking around rather nervously, with dark purple trouser legs peeking out from the bottom. And at the farthest end of the room, the bard from the ship could be seen sitting on a small stage, strumming a lute and playing a slow, somber tune. A man in a purple suit jacket with a very garish rainbow-colored shirt and a scar on his right eyebrow sat at the bench nearest to her, sipping wine out of a horn while watching her with interest.

Those in the bar closest to the door, plus the bartender, stopped and looked at Hel and Koval as they entered, sizing the pair up and down.

Hollis and Vander

Being located on the Town Square itself, the headquarters of the Merchant's Guild was a sight to behold, both inside and outside. Fine mahogany furniture and ornate marble floors greeted them as they entered. Upon presenting their letters of introduction, they were offered a dram of wine and bade to sit by a man who looked to be barely out of boyhood, dressed in a fine suit that made him look less like a professional and more like a child trying to imitate his father. Around 10 minutes later, the young man returned, accompanied by a more weary-looking older man of middle age; his suit appeared to be at least a decade or so out of the current fashion, and upon further inspection his brown hair appeared to be at least half toupee.

"Don Cervantes will see you now."

The pair were escorted up the stairs and to a double-doored office. The weary man ushered them through, and Hollis and Vander were met with the sight of one of the most ornate offices they had ever seen. Mahogany and gold were the order of the day, and fine tapestries with depictions of scenes from myths of old covered the walls, save for the outer one, which was occupied almost entirely by a huge plate glass window. Behind an ornate desk and in front of the window stood a very grey man of thin build, swirling a tumbler of brandy in his hand.

"Don Alonso Cervantes, may I present Vander von Dardlara and Hollis."

"Ah, yes, yes. Thank you, Percival. Give us some privacy, if you would."

"Of course, sir."

With the door closed, Don Cervantes turned around to face the duo. His grey eyes matched his greying hair and bear, and several wrinkes were made prominent as he quirked a wry smile at the two.

"Puerto Medial can be both a beautiful and ugly city. For those who embrace ambition, it can yield riches untold. For those who turn the wrong way, however, those dreams can soon be dashed. Luckily, the both of you came highly recommended - and I make it a point to surround myself with the best of the best. You scratch my back, and I will be sure to scratch yours."

Don Cervantes gestured to two chairs situated in front of the desk before taking his own seat.

"Why don't you have a seat, my friends - and before I elaborate on what you can do for me, I would ask what I can do for you."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-12 at 03:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Not immediately seeing Robin, Sakura turned back to the bartender. "Excuse me; I have just arrived in your town as you have probably guessed. I am searching for someone." She dropped her voice lower so as not to be overheard if it could be helped. "Someone dangerous who may have come here from the mainland and needs to be stopped. Has there been a rash of trouble recently? Murders or other crime sprees? The perpetrator would target those who appear to be upstanding members of the community."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy? (1d20+12)[15]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Hel folded her parasol down as her eyes adjusted from the bright sunshine to the dingy interior of the inn. She blinked as she was admonished before she'd had a chance to act up. She blinked innocently at the catfolk and tossed a strand of gleaming hair over her shoulder.

"Whoooo meeee? Never." She made her way over to the bar, sidling up next to the hooded man in the purple pants. She gave him a nod before signaling for the barkeep.

"Three tuicas, please." She turned her back to the bar and spotted her contact listening to the bard. She caught Koval's attention with her eyes and signaled to the garishly dressed man. She passed a glass to Koval and sipped on hers. She shrugged at Koval, it was passable. She took the third glass with her and sat down on the bench next to the scarred gentleman.

"Our uncle has a message." She handed him the glass of tuica, her eyes seemingly rapt upon the bard's performance.
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #47

Vander took a seat in one of the nearly by ottomans, his shadow forming a sleek black illusory suit over his svelt form. Vander liked to think the illusion only enhanced his fashionability and exaggerated his athletic build. Holding his gaze at the merchant he blankly said

"Well, Don, my companions and I would like access to some supplies, food, water, maps, bug repellent, and anything else we might need to cavort around the island searching for these tombs. The more we can get done before the wet season the better."

Vander crossed legs scanning the man, not truly believing the merchant's hospitable demeanor, before adding "But perhaps most importantly how does anyone do business around here with the Campeones breathing down our backs."

Vander threw up his hands in an overdramatized fit of faux frustration "If only there was a way to obtain licenses without such exorbitant fees, I'd gladly pay my tribute to someone more deserving"

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Sakura and Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "Excuse me; I have just arrived in your town as you have probably guessed. I am searching for someone. Someone dangerous who may have come here from the mainland and needs to be stopped. Has there been a rash of trouble recently? Murders or other crime sprees? The perpetrator would target those who appear to be upstanding members of the community."
    The bartender scratched his chin.

"No major crime sprees that I have heard of - with one exception. Up in the Cloud District - that's the wealthiest neighborhood around here, where the Count and pretty much all the wealthiest people in town live - there's this old Asahian expat called Kinju Sadamune. Or is it Sadamune Kinju? Never could get the name order straight."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local)
    Show
    Sadamune Kinju, as it would be correctly ordered, used to be a swordsmith of some renown back in Asahi; his blades were known to be sharp enough and skillfully made enough that he had been commissioned several times to craft weapons and armor for the Nine-Tailed Empress' personal guard. You recall that around 15 years ago, he was commissioned to make a blade for a samurai of some renown, Ieyasu Akira. Shortly thereafter, Ieyasu blamed Sadamune for a duel he had lost, claiming that the katana Sadamune had made for him shattered mid-fight. Taking exception to this slight against his work, Sadamune struck and injured Ieyaus. For this crime, Ieyasu demanded he be executed; however, for his past services, the Empress refused to kill him, and so instead he and his family were banished.

"Anyway, apparently, about a week ago, he and his family were attacked by a bunch of burglars; he made it out okay, but apparently his wife and daughter were gravely wounded. Apparently, his servants claimed they were tricked into opening the doors for the culprits by some sort of mental magic. They still haven't found those responsible."

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    Having gone up against Sunako in the past, you are aware that the ability to spread a contagious compulsion from person to person, as per the spell Suggestion, is within her capabilities.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-20 at 11:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Hel and Koval

The bartender wordlessly reached below the counter before pouring three shots of incredibly strong-smelling brandy into a trio of shot glasses and passing them to Hel and Koval. The man in the suit looked Hel's way as she sat down. "May I help you?"

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    "Our uncle has a message."
    The man looked Hel up and down. "Is it about his arthritis?"

"His pet shark went vegetarian."

The man turned around to face the table, and Hel could feel him slipping something into her pocket below the table, where no-one could see. "Tell him to try keeping the tank dark and out of sight. And a little blood might work to get its appetite back up."

He looked to the third shot of tuica. For me? "You shouldn't have."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Based on what you know of the Silent Hand, you manage to figure out that he's telling you to open the message where no-one else will see you, then use your blood to activate the writing on it.

Spoiler: If/when you manage to activate the letter...
    Show
    Standard procedure for those who want in the local cell: You gotta prove you know your stuff. We don't deal with newbies - it's a tough environment, here, and just a simple say-so from our mutual friend ain't gonna cut it. Word to the wise: Avoid knocking over the banks or the casino - the security on those buildings is ludicrous.

• For something relatively easy, there's a local merchant, goes by the name of Juan Diego. Does trade in tobacco, pays his farmers a pittance while he buys all sorts of finery for himself and his wife. He isn't known for paying his guards that well, either, so worst case scenario and you get caught, you might be able to bribe your way out.
    • You wanna stick it to the man a bit more directly, the Campeones store the Treasure tax in a special chest at the East Gate and haul it back to their headquarters every night.
    • If you're feeling really cocky, the Count is showing off some of his 'historic antiques' at a local museum called the Saint Cristopher Antiquities Display. The guards know their stuff, and he's probably got the stuff trapped magically.
    • And finally, if you're not up for rummaging through the local nobility's underwear drawers, we'll accept some treasure from the local catacombs.

Regardless of where you get your treasure from, once you've got it, take it to the Salto de Seda Waterfalls, east of the town. Behind the falls, twenty feet up, is a moss-covered stone with a bird's talon etched into it. Roll it aside and leave a trophy as proof of your heist - it must be something worth at least 1,000 gp. If you pass, we'll leave something in that same spot with info on how to get at our local resources.

Welcome to Nidus.

Vander and Hollis

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Vander took a seat in one of the nearly by ottomans, his shadow forming a sleek black illusory suit over his svelt form. Vander liked to think the illusion only enhanced his fashionability and exaggerated his athletic build. Holding his gaze at the merchant he blankly said

"Well, Don, my companions and I would like access to some supplies, food, water, maps, bug repellent, and anything else we might need to cavort around the island searching for these tombs. The more we can get done before the wet season the better."

Vander crossed legs scanning the man, not truly believing the merchant's hospitable demeanor, before adding "But perhaps most importantly how does anyone do business around here with the Campeones breathing down our backs."

Vander threw up his hands in an overdramatized fit of faux frustration "If only there was a way to obtain licenses without such exorbitant fees, I'd gladly pay my tribute to someone more deserving"
    Don Cervantes sipped his brandy as Vander outlined their predicament, pursing his lips and aspirating the liquor before swallowing and answering.

"Ah, yes, the Campeones. Our beloved protectors. That most pesky of thorns in the side of businessmen everywhere."
    He took another sip. "I have my own troubles with them, as well - not the same as with you, but trouble all the same. If you were to help me with dealing with one of those problems, I would be more than happy to front you the cost of your equipment and licenses. I might even be able to contact some of my friends higher up, see if they might see the light and arrange a discount on that most unfair treasure tax."

The Don took a longer sip before continuing.

"Beaulieu XO. A beautiful vintage. Anyway, one of my associates, Juan Diego, is one of this island's most respected tobacco traders, but unfortunately, despite the volcanic richness of the soil, he has been having some fertility issues lately with his plantation. He has been seeking to expand further into the jungle; however, some sort of druid circle pre-emptively purchased the land he wished to buy and refuses to sell it to him. Some sort of nonsense about it being a habitat for an endangered parrot species. If you were able to find some way to get them to part with the land, that would surely help."

"Alternatively, if that is not your style, there is another issue that needs dealing with. My son, Gael, is in the banana business, and recently imported some... supplies for the workers. However, he has intimated to me that there may be some issues with... unloading the cargo, as well as getting it to the plantation. If you would assist him with whatever he needs, I would do these favors for you."

"Thirdly, one of my associates, a wizard named Cristobal, has recently been threatened by what he believes to be the Silent Hand. Whoever is threatening him, they have allegedly been making repeated references to tonight. If you would guard him, and perhaps even find out who is truly threatening him, I would be most grateful."

"Or, if you'd rather just stick to what you adventuring types do best, I would be willing to help you out without you doing any of those things - but, since squeaky wheels need grease to get going, I would need a little assistance in that regard. 2,000 florins worth of treasure would do the trick to get the necessary processes going."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-14 at 08:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Sakura nodded as the bartender spoke. That seemed like the pattern of behavior she'd seen before. "This Asahian ex-patriot, would it be easy or difficult to be seen by him based upon the customs of this town?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Hel nodded at the third glass of tuica to indicate it was for him and took a sip of hers.

"I was always fond of plums." She continued the dialogue despite the obvious dismissal.

"You know what else I'm fond of? Discounted licenses. They're my favorite." She turned to smile pointedly at the man, her eyes studying his face along with the scar above his eyebrow. She turned her attention back to the bard and clapped along with the crowd.

"If you happen to know a source... it could only mean profit for you."
    #Notallinfluencers

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Hollis rubbed a smooth cheek with a soft hand as he mulled over the options presented.

"...As a wizard myself, I am inclined to assist another steeped in the lore of the arcane arts. I am curious why a thieves' guild would threaten someone of such a scholarly inclination. And if in doing so it gets me in better standing with businesses here, so much the better. I have a desire to set up a business of my own once I am better established.

This matter also seems the most pressing of those presented. If you can provide directions, Don Cervantes, I would seek out this Cristobal."

23. - Top - End - #53

Vander rubbed his temples thinking of the options, it honestly wasn't too bad of a deal, and the rotund human had a point. Licenses and supplies would grease these expeditions wheels to no end, though he wondered what sort of offers Hel and Koval were receiving.

Waging his finger Vander dripped from his mouth like spilled Beaulieu "My, my, my, my~ Hollis darling I think you've made a good choice here, it'll be interesting to weasel out what it takes for a wizard to get on the hand's bad side."

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Sakura and Robin

"Ain't no-one gonna stop you from walking up to his house and asking to be seen, if that's what your asking. Although the household is apparently a bit on edge, so they'll probably be less accepting of visitors than usual. May help if you want to patronize his business - he still does some smithing, and his wife's a wizard, so she sells trinkets and items and whatnot. Regardless, I'd go in ready to do some smooth talking. Usually it's most appropriate to go calling in the mid afternoon - 3 to 6-ish. That's the usual accepted time for social calls around here."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you very much; you have been both kind and enlightening." Sakura smiled inwardly; she'd been on the island less than a day and already had a lead. Time to find Robin.

26. - Top - End - #56

Koval and Hel

The man looked side to side. Satisifed that no-one appeared to be actively listening, he spoke in a low tone.

"Your uncle still after that fishing license? I think I know a couple ways he could get one. Guy about two blocks east, runs a printing shop called Impresorial Garcia. Sometimes does a little 'notarizing' on the side. Otherwise, look for a guy at the gatehouse, goes by the name of Gerson Medina."

He then broke into a low whisper.

"The counterphrase is 'Our Uncle has a message', 'Is it about his arthritis', and 'His pet parrot has been operatic' for both of them. The printer will want compensation, but he does good work and it'll still be cheaper. If you get it from Cabo Medina, he'll provide it for free, but... just an FYI, he's been leant on hard lately. I think he's getting a bit erratic."

Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-16 at 01:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"You have my Uncle's gratitude." Hel's dimple reappeared as she tipped her glass towards the man in a silent salute. That part of business dealt with, she turned her attention back to Koval and the bard.
    #Notallinfluencers

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval laid his helmet down on the bar, its empty sockets staring into the room as he watched Hel converse with their contact. He sipped plum liquor with a blank look on his face, unwilling to lower his guard among unfamiliar people in this unfamiliar land. As the conversation wound down, he rapped his knuckles on the bar to summon the bartender, before gesturing towards the stage.

"A tuica for the lady, and ask if she'd give me a moment of her time."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "Thank you very much; you have been both kind and enlightening." Sakura smiled inwardly; she'd been on the island less than a day and already had a lead. Time to find Robin.
    Robin was reclining against a wall, closing her eyes and breathing softly, listening to the sounds of people around her and ignoring the occasional glance her way. She had a hard time...dealing...with all of this. People were difficult. At Sakura's return, she brightened slightly - literally so. A near-stranger to focus on was better than many complete strangers. "Are there rooms still available?", she asked, dreading approaching the innkeeper herself.

30. - Top - End - #60

Hel and Koval

The man in the purple suit wordlessly raised his shot of tuica in a toast, and then sat back and continued to watch the bard as he sipped at the eye-watering plum brandy.

Meanwhile, back at the bar, the bartender, who had just finished her hushed conversation with the Asahian woman, turned to Koval and nodded, pouring another shot of the brandy as the other woman left. As the bard came to the end of the current song, the bartender cautiously approached her and spoke with her quietly, handing over the shot glass before returning.

"She says she will speak with you after the next song is finished."

After idly strumming her lute and taking a moment to adjust the tuning pegs, the woman launched into another tune. This one was an instrumental, slower and with a rather ominous air to it, but still rather enchanting. As her fingers danced across the strings, she looked toward Koval, looking him up and down cautiously. When the tune had finished, the bar patrons took a moment to clap, and a few came up to deposit some silver in the hat. One of the younger patrons momentarily moved his hand as if to try and filch a coin, but the bard promptly met his eyes in a glare and he backed off. Taking the hat and coin, the bard walked over and sat down beside Koval.

"So, I understand that I have you to thank for the refreshment," she said. "Don't suppose I can get a name to go with the gift?"

Vander and Hollis

"Oh, of course," said Don Cervantes in response to the request for directions. "Cristobal's residence is about six blocks north of the town square, and two to the east. You can't miss it - it's the tallest building in the vicinity. It's a tower, you see; he's a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to that sort of thing. Star-spangled robes, the works. But then again, far be it from me to criticize a man for his eccentricities. As for the matter of setting up a workshop," he turned to Hollis. "If you are able to succeed in any of these ventures, I would only be happy to make a recommendation on your behalf to the banks. They can be a touch... enthusiastic when negotiating deals for the sale of property without a recommendation or a co-signer."

He rang a bell, and Percival reappeared.

"If there is no other outstanding matters to discuss, I believe that should conclude our meeting for the moment. Percival will show you out. Good morning!"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2020-04-16 at 10:21 PM.