Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Results 301 to 325 of 325
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Round 6

    "Oh no! Guys, he said they're 'getting help'! What should we do?!" Tarquin lashes out at the thug behind the corner, trying to keep cover against the crossbows. At his feet, Beak hops down to the unconscious Xeshanth starts tugging on the samsaran's beard hairs - hard.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Tarquin will stay put and attack T4:
    club atk (1d20+2)[3], dmg (1d6+3)[4], cc (1d20+2)[13] (20/x2), cdmg (1d6+2)[5]

    (He'll step to K/8 only if necessary to unblock Gerald & Nathaniel)

    AoO if applicable:
    atk (1d20+2)[21], dmg (1d6+3)[6], cc (1d20+2)[13] (20/x2), cdmg (1d6+2)[6]

    Beak will use his action to try and wake up Xeshanth, although I don't know if it will work.

    Spoiler: Tarquin
    Show
    Tarquinius Alderbough Human Shaman 1 LG HP 8 / 11 Speed ft Init 4 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 1 Will 7 CMB +2 BAB 0 Longspear +2 (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Club +2 (1d6 + 3, x2)
    Dagger +2 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)


    Spoiler: Beak
    Show
    "Beak" Rhamphorhynchus Familiar N HP 5 / 5 Speed ft Init 3 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 7 Will 4 CMB +1 BAB 0 bite +5 (1d3 - 2, x2) Str 6 (-2) Dex 17 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 14 (2) Int 6 (-2) Cha 11 (0)
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Get ready- protect Xeshanth." Gerald grunts, while pulling out a potion. Largely protected by the corner, he swigs it back quickly.

    Nathaniel hurries to the other side of the doorway, after speaking a simple prayer for aid.

    Spoiler: Gerald and Nathaniel, round 4
    Show
    Gerald Sotheby
    M CG Human Cavalier (Disciple of Pike), Level 2, Init 1, HP 24/24, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 17, Fort 6, Ref 1, Will 0, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Bardiche +6 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Lucerne hammer +6 (1d12+6, x2)
    Halberd +6 (1d10+6, x3)
    Banded Mail (+7 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Condition Resolute: When wearing armor, reduce 1 point of incoming damage to NL
    Challenge: 0/1
    Tactician: 1/1, 4 rds
    Honorable Champion: 1/1
    Bigger they are: +1 AC vs large enemies, +2 vs huge

    Recover and drink potion of cure serious wounds: (3d8+5)[14] HP (almost certainly full now)

    Nathaniel Sotheby
    M CG Human Inquisitor (SancSlay/RavHunt/Heretic), Level 1, Init 4, HP 19/19, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB 1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Daggers +5 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Mace, Light +5 (1d6, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition Dirty fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    Child of the Shadows: +2 init in urban settings
    Spells: (1st level)
    Divine Favor: 0/1
    Heightened Awareness: 1/1
    DF: +1 attack/damage, 10 rounds

    cast Divine favor
    move to L/7:

    AoO: If T4 attacks at range or moves without withdraw:
    (1d20+6)[20] glaive
    (1d20+6)[23] CC
    (1d10+1)[11] damage
    (2d10+2)[9] crit

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Round 6

    As the party heals and repositions themselves Tarquin makes an ineffective swing with his club. As the thug dodges he speaks over his shoulder in a rough voice. "They took out the others - quick, go stop them from bleeding out!" The three remaining men look to be backing up carefully, giving space to the party. "Leave the taxidermist alone - he's under our protection. We won't give you another warning," he threatens as he turns the corner of the hallway and watches for the PCs' responses...

    I don't use social skills against the PCs except as they apply to combat, so no Intimidate check from the thug. How do you want to respond? His remaining buddies have already gone down the hall, at least far enough that they aren't attacking anymore.

    The map is updated. Begin Round 7.

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Stay put, Tarq" Gerald whispers, pushing past his friend. He makes his way down the hallway, growling "Warning, indeed!" and lashes out at the speaker with his halberd

    Nathaniel hurriedly follows Gerald into the narrow hallway. From a few paces behind his brother, he lashes out at well, deftly threading the needle between the wall and his brother's legs.

    Spoiler: Gerald and Nathaniel, round 5
    Show
    Gerald Sotheby
    M CG Human Cavalier (Disciple of Pike), Level 2, Init 1, HP 24/24, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 17, Fort 6, Ref 1, Will 0, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Bardiche +6 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Lucerne hammer +6 (1d12+6, x2)
    Halberd +6 (1d10+6, x3)
    Banded Mail (+7 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Condition Resolute: When wearing armor, reduce 1 point of incoming damage to NL
    Challenge: 0/1
    Tactician: 1/1, 4 rds
    Honorable Champion: 1/1
    Bigger they are: +1 AC vs large enemies, +2 vs huge

    Move to I/8
    Attack T4
    (1d20+6)[7] halberd
    (1d20+6)[26] CC (26, x3)
    (1d10+6)[11] damage
    (2d10+12)[29] crit bonus

    Nathaniel Sotheby
    M CG Human Inquisitor (SancSlay/RavHunt/Heretic), Level 1, Init 4, HP 19/19, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB 1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Daggers +5 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Mace, Light +5 (1d6, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition Dirty fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    Child of the Shadows: +2 init in urban settings
    Spells: (1st level)
    Divine Favor: 0/1
    Heightened Awareness: 1/1
    DF: +1 attack/damage, 9 rounds

    move to K/8 or J/8, whichever involves a 10' reach attack

    Attack T4:
    (1d20+6)[8] glaive
    (1d20+6)[23] CC (26, x3)
    (1d10+1)[7] damage
    (2d10+2)[15] crit bonus

    Both will AoO if able. Gerald does not at current have reach.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Round 7

    "O-ok!" Tarquin agrees as the Sotheby brothers push past him. He draws his curative wand to heal his own wounds while keeping an eye on the others.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Use CLW wand to heal self for (1d8+1)[4]

    36/50 wand charges remaining

    Spoiler: Tarquin
    Show
    Tarquinius Alderbough Human Shaman 1 LG HP 12 / 16 Speed ft Init 4 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 1 Will 7 CMB +2 BAB 0 Longspear +2 (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Club +2 (1d6 + 3, x2)
    Dagger +2 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)


    Spoiler: Beak
    Show
    "Beak" Rhamphorhynchus Familiar N HP 5 / 5 Speed ft Init 3 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 7 Will 4 CMB +1 BAB 0 bite +5 (1d3 - 2, x2) Str 6 (-2) Dex 17 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 14 (2) Int 6 (-2) Cha 11 (0)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-11-14 at 09:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Round 7

    Both Gerald and Nathaniel move and miss with their attacks while Tarquin uses a wand to heal himself. For their part, the enemies perform a leap-frogging defense, with the first thug withdrawing from melee, the second firing from around the corner. (The second thug hits Gerald, dealing 3 damage and threatening poison, DC 11 Fortitude save or become nauseated for 1 minute. If Gerald fails, he rolls again after 1 minute to avoid taking 1 Strength damage.)

    The map is updated. Begin Round 8.

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Round 8

    Tarquin uses the wand one more time and then retrieves his longspear from the ground, his eyes for any enemies reappearing at the main entrance.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Pick up longspear
    Use CLW wand to heal self for (1d8+1)[5]

    35/50 wand charges remaining

    Spoiler: Tarquin
    Show
    Tarquinius Alderbough Human Shaman 2 LG HP 16 / 16 Speed ft Init 4 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 1 Will 8 CMB +3 BAB 1 Longspear +3 (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Club +3 (1d6 + 3, x2)
    Dagger +3 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)


    Spoiler: Beak
    Show
    "Beak" Rhamphorhynchus Familiar N HP 8 / 8 Speed ft Init 3 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 7 Will 4 CMB +1 BAB 0 bite +5 (1d3 - 2, x2) Str 6 (-2) Dex 17 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 14 (2) Int 6 (-2) Cha 11 (0)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-11-16 at 01:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Gerald grunts, easily withstanding the poisoned bolt. "Easy does it," he mutters, stepping forward. This time, he stays behind cover, and uses the corner to help protect himself from the potential for crossbow bolts in the open hallway.

    Nathaniel follows just behind, and demonstrates a certain uncanny familiarity with cover, himself- this time a knack for denying it to others.

    Spoiler: Gerald and Nathaniel, round 6
    Show
    Gerald Sotheby
    M CG Human Cavalier (Disciple of Pike), Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/24, 1 nonlethal Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 17, Fort 6, Ref 1, Will 0, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Bardiche +6 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2) Dropped in previous room
    Lucerne hammer +6 (1d12+6, x2) Dropped in previous room
    Halberd +6 (1d10+6, x3)
    Banded Mail (+7 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Condition Resolute: When wearing armor, reduce 1 point of incoming damage to NL
    Challenge: 0/1
    Tactician: 1/1, 4 rds
    Honorable Champion: 1/1
    Bigger they are: +1 AC vs large enemies, +2 vs huge

    5-foot step to I/7
    Attack T4
    (1d20+6)[25] halberd (into cover, I think)
    (1d20+6)[9] CC (26, x3)
    (1d10+6)[7] damage
    [roll]2d10+12]/roll] crit bonus

    Nathaniel Sotheby
    M CG Human Inquisitor (SancSlay/RavHunt/Heretic), Level 1, Init 4, HP 19/19, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB 1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Daggers +5 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Mace, Light +5 (1d6, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition Dirty fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    Child of the Shadows: +2 init in urban settings
    Spells: (1st level)
    Divine Favor: 0/1
    Heightened Awareness: 1/1
    DF: +1 attack/damage, 8 rounds

    move to I/8

    Attack T4:
    (1d20+6)[14] glaive
    (1d20+6)[24] CC (26, x3)
    (1d10+1)[6] damage
    (2d10+2)[21] crit bonus

    Both will AoO if able. Gerald does not at current have reach.

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Round 8

    As the Sotheby brothers drop another thug with their coordinated attacks Tarquin heals himself again. As he sees his last ally fall the remaining thug turns tail and runs out the back door of the taxidermists' guildhall and into the rainy streets.

    End of combat. You can attempt to give chase if you like, but it seems unlikely.

    In a couple of minutes the other PCs recover from the Color Spray spell. What do you do now?

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Ooohh... My head..." Onwym opens his eyes first, and it is rather painful. The violent colors of the afterimages fill his field of vision, and it is a moment before he can really see. Next to him, Xeshanth sits, his head in his hands until he recovers his composure. "Yes, that is a powerful spell, isn't it? It didn't expect it, I have to say. The irony! I was just about to cast it on them."

    He stands, and turns to his young friends. "My apologies for this embarrassing display of miserable tactics... Thankfully, the strength of your arms made up for my lack of acumen." With a gesture, he dismisses the patch of grease, allowing Onwym to come to the door without slipping. "Er... Those dead guys in the street... I guess we want to bring them inside and close the door, don't you think?"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-11-16 at 11:45 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Gerald and Nathaniel return to the main room, after unceremoniously dumping the fourth dead thug in the lavatory. "They attacked us," Gerald grunts. "I've got nothing to hide. Be careful, I'm gonna find some help." The pair steps into the rain, in search of a constable.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If there is an easy/obvious/normal way to alert a nearby constable that they've just been ambushed, the brothers will do so, leaving the thieves where they lie (I assume unnecessary blood trails will not aid our claim of the victim).

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Uh, some help? Oh! Good idea!" Tarquin nods in agreement at the Sotheby's plan. "I'll wait here with the others - be careful out there! The nerve of these brigands - when I tell my father I bet he'll have half the city watch incentivized to root out their crummy little thieves' guild. That'll show these locusts!"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    As the Sotheby brothers get someone from the guard the rest of the party gathers the dead thugs and their dropped weapons inside the taxidermists' guildhall. By the time they are done Gerald and Nathaniel return with a trio of members of the city watch, each armed and looking ready for a fight. "...That is a serious accusation you are making, gentlemen. Nemian Roblach is a well known curmudgeon, but that's not against the law. These attackers are obviously criminals, but so far it sounds like it's going to be your word against Roblach's..." continues the guard captain as he enters the showroom.

    The two other guards inspect the bodies carefully, identifying the men and pointing out that each has a small tattoo - basically a small mark - of a flower with a circle around it. "Definitely members of the Lotus Dragons, Sir," reports one of the guards. "Nasty work, this lot. And their weapons are poisoned. A sure sign of 'em."

    "Well, there's not much more I can do for you folks except take your statements. We will have to lock up the guildhall until Nemian Roblach or another of the guild show up. In the meantime, where can we find you if we have more questions?" asks the captain as he turns to look at the party.

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Wait, lock up the guildhall??" Tarquin stammers. "But uh, Mister Captain, sir - we think this place could be the key to the Dragons' secret lair!" He thumps his foot on the wooden floor. "We have reason to believe their hideout is right beneath us! Shouldn't we take the time while we're here to look for trapdoors, or something?"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-11-19 at 12:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Xeshanth steps up, still a little disheveled from his brief ordeal. He stands tall, his pale blue skin and iris-less, solid white eyes giving him an exotic and vaguely disquieting, but calm and confident look as he addresses the captain.

    "Officer, of course we will provide statements as to what happened here. We are all honorable citizens of Sasserine, these young men, my wards and pupils, are the sons of well-known, established families: The Alderboughs, the Sothebys, and the Viltashels. And myself, Xeshanth, their teacher and guide.

    It is fortunate that we had been warned against trouble. But we were not only attacked from the street, there were more of these men going at us from inside, and they appeared to be in cahoots with Mister Roblach. I would like to request your permission to track our attackers, as best we can, inside and indeed below this establishment, and report to you as to their whereabouts."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[14]

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Even so," chimes in Gerald. "Look here." He guides one of the guardsmen to the blood trails in the hallway. "And there was another back here who helped Roblach escape. He has them on the payroll, or perhaps the other way around- we just came here to talk and see if we could find something out from him!"

    Spoiler: Gerald Assist:
    Show
    (1d20+5)[25] diplomacy


    "It was well we were warned," mentions the soft-spoken younger brother. "Honestly, I don't think we were really expecting a fight in here at all. If we can't try to follow them now, likely as not they'll board this place up and we'll just be that much farther behind."

    Spoiler: Nathaniel assist?
    Show
    I figure if I've got two characters, I might as well use them. (1d20+4)[17] diplomacy

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    With a souring expression the captain listens to the party's requests, his scowl deepening as he seems to struggle internally. "Gentlemen, you are asking me and the other guards to go directly against Sasserine law. You don't own this building, you're not a member of the guard with a warrant, and though its clear these men attacked you they aren't in any condition to defend their actions. I won't be performing it, but an investigation is going to have to happen before anyone else gets to look around in here. I'm sorry," he says with a sigh as he looks around. "Honestly, I believe you - we've seen shady characters around here lately, so it wouldn't surprise me if the taxidermist was involved with the Lotus Dragons. But I'm sorry, I can't just let you root around in someone else's business..."

    Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 10
    Show
    The guard captain is being sincere and not upset at the party. The party's request is clearly illegal, and he has no prior relationship with any of you to help convince him. The DC for your request was around 30: Indifferent = Base of 15, +15 to DC give aid that could result in punishment.

    As the guards gently but firmly escort the PCs out of the building and lock up the building behind them - setting a guard at the front door where it has been broken off its hinges - the guard captain takes whatever address the PCs give him (either their personal residences or Lavinia Vanderboren's estate) and bids them good day. The guard left behind looks quite miserable in the rain but seems committed to his post...

    The rear door is locked but not guarded. Likewise, perhaps the guard on watch could be bribed or removed from his post. There could also be other entrances to the Lotus Dragons' lair. What do you do now?

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Nathaniel sighs, visibly frustrated, as the captain of the guard rebuffs their efforts. By the end of his explanation, Gerald looks ready to burst at the seams. When he begins to sputter angrily, the younger and wiser Sotheby physically pulls him back from the scene to keep him from making a bad situation worse.

    "It seems unlikely we're being followed." Nathaniel mutters sourly, in a meager attempt to add levity to the foul weather and worse situation. After a pregnant pause, when no one else offers any immediate solutions, he shrugs. "Might as well go back to Miss Vanderboren's," Gerald grunts. "Beats moping about in the rain; I'll have to tend to this mail tonight already."

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Tarquin stares wistfully back at the guildhall as the party makes their exit from the scene. "But... but... we were so close!" he blurts out in frustration. "Ugh! Yeah, I guess we could head back to Lady Vandorboren's - I'm getting hungry, anyway. We need to get back into that guildhall, though, before the ruffians just pack up and leave! How to convince the guards, though?..." He ponders for a while as they walk through the rain.

    "Oh, I know! All we have to do is get a warrant, right? The captain said so! My father has some clout with the local magistrates - they've arbitrated plenty of trade contracts with him. Maybe he could call in a favor to help us get a warrant, or at least a chance to plead our case for one?" He looks expectantly at the others for confirmation, blinking the rain out of his eyes.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Gerald grunts, an uncomfortable expression on his face. "Better idea than I've got," Nathaniel offers. Both conspicuously remain silent regarding their own father's likely clout.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Sotheby's backgrounds include a not-so-hot relationship with dad, at this point. So they're both uncomfortable with the idea, and unlikely to be met with success asking dear old dad for help.

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Xeshanth makes the best face possible in the circumstance. "Well understood, captain. I understand you're following the law, as is your duty, and I thank you for that, as well as for your help. Come on, gentlemen, let's depart this place."

    The samsaran, while frustrated, looks at things philosophically. "We followed the rules, no one can blame us for anything that happened, and we did a good service to the city, I believe. Let's report to the good Lady... And your idea is sound, Tarquin. Definitely worth trying."

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    When the group reaches the Vanderboren estate Tarquin is the first to energetically explain the recent developments. "So we followed the clues from the note to the Taxidermist's Guildhall, right? And there was this shifty guy there - Roblach - well, I knew he was up to no good from the start! And that's when the assassins ambushed us! - oh yeah, we were being followed on the rooftops - and then I was like 'whoa!' and Nathaniel was like 'hyah!' and Gerald was like 'Take that, evildoers!' and there was magic and shooting and everything!" He plays up the story with exaggerated gestures and plenty of sound effects, embellishing his own bravery to some degree as he describes the battle.

    "And then they disappeared - the assassins, that is - and we thought we had better get the guards. I mean, what kind of pickpockets would attack the five of us in broad daylight?! Anyway, we told them what went down but then they wanted to seal the place off and conduct some kind of 'investigation'..." Tarquin scratches his head and looks away, appearing sheepish for the first time in his story. "And, uh, that's where we're kind of stuck. The guards won't let us back inside without a warrant, but they aren't searching fast enough! The thieves' hideout has got to be underneath there, it's just got to - the attack proves it! But we need a way back inside..."

    He casts a sidelong glance at their patroness. "I don't suppose your ladyship would be able to pull any strings? Get us inside the guildhall? Just five minutes is all we'll need!"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    "Let me get this straight," begins Lady Vanderboren as her expression sours. "You need five minutes in the taxidermists guildhall, but its being guarded by assassins, you attacked the head of the guild, and now the city police are watching the building too?" She sighs heavily as she settles into a chair. As she massages her temples she remains silent for several long, uncomfortable moments. "Mother and Father never really spoke about how to manage the sorts of problems adventurers discover...or create..."

    Abruptly she stands and begins pacing the floor, furiously thinking. When she speaks there is a hint of steel in her tone, signs of the powerful noblewoman she might one day become. "I need you all to fix problems for me, not come back to me with more of them. Since my...since, he...since Vanthus stole my inheritance I am up to my neck in calling in old debts and favors. Maybe I can find one owed to me by the city of Sasserine, but it will take time. In the meanwhile, you all must find another way in, or failing that make another way. Do not bring dishonor or the law upon my house...I have enough trouble as it is...but I need you all to fix this. I have no one else."

    Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 10
    Show
    The young noble's reaction is a mixture of anger, fear, and exhaustion. Though she is not showing it much, the astute observer notes that her makeup hides stress lines and bags under Lavinia Vanderboren's eyes. She could be angry with you, but is trying to be strong and not show it too much.

    "I will bring all this up to the Dawn Council," (the ruling council of Sasserine noble houses, see below), "...but they are slow to act even in the best of times and with great power behind a request. In the meanwhile, you could try the guard's leadership...if the Lotus Dragons and my...and Vanthus haven't bribed them to silence." She shakes her head angrily, her eyes glistening with unwept, angry tears. "Please excuse me..." she says as she suddenly turns and walks out of the room, ending the party's audience with her abruptly.

    As the DM I am not telling you to break the law and go out of character, but I am telling you that Lavinia doesn't have the answers here. At least not for some time, and given that her brother is still out there causing problems, if you don't resolve this issue there may not be a point in time later when Lavinia can help.

    You haven't developed any other resources in town, but there are several organizations that could prove useful:


    Spoiler: Sasserine Affiliations
    Show
    There are six affiliations the PCs can develop in addition to the seven churches present in Sasserine (one for each of the major districts in town). The churches venerate Wee Jas, Kord, Pelor, Fharlanghn, St. Cuthbert, Worgul (a front for Olidammara), and three lesser sea deities (Osperm, Procan, and Xerbo) and are all generally respected by the locals to different degrees.

    The six non-religious affiliations available for investment are as follows:

    Dawn Council: The ruling nobles of Sasserine are known as the Dawn Council, yet in truth this affiliation comprises all of the minor nobles, sages, scribes, clerks, and others who help in the daily business of administration of the city. The Sasserine city watch is controlled by the Dawn Council, and the seven official churches have much invested in this group as well. Beyond Sasserine’s walls, agents of the Dawn Council function as ambassadors, emissaries, missionaries, or even spies. Bards, clerics, fighters, and paladins are the best suited classes for this affiliation. (Anyone with nobility in the family could reasonably work this angle, along with Lady Vanderboren.)

    Scarlet Brotherhood: While the Scarlet Brotherhood itself is notorious for harboring assassins, spies, and worse, their presence in Sasserine has taken an unusual turn with the establishment of the Scarlet Embassy. This group proposes to seek less violent interactions with other nations. Recent attempts to manipulate numerous nations were a tremendous drain on the Brotherhood. Of course, many believe that the establishment of the Scarlet Embassy is merely a new stage in the Brotherhood’s nefarious attempt to rule the world from within. Only members of this affiliation know the group’s plans for sure—and even they may not see the whole truth of what the mysterious leaders of the Brotherhood intend. Bards, monks, and rogues are the best suited classes for this affiliation. (Probably not the best fit - the Scarlet Brotherhood have a bad reputation in the world of Greyhawk and tend towards the Evil end of the spectrum.)

    The Seekers: The Seekers have a presence in nearly every major city in the world, yet few know of their existence. A group of treasure-seeking adventurers at best, or a nefarious organization of thieves and grave-robbers at worst, the Seekers themselves are a loosely-knit group of explorers, adventuring scholars, and fortune hunters who scour the world for ancient secrets and lost magic for personal gain and profit. All character classes are equally suited for this affiliation. (The late Lord and Lady Vanderboren were members of this organization of adventurers. Selfish-Neutral, but could be aimed towards noble goals.)

    Witchwardens: Sasserine’s mage’s guild was founded by a priest-mage of Radu many centuries ago, but today the Witchwardens have become more secular. Their members study magic in all its forms, seeking to discover new spells or recover forgotten lore from ancient ruins across the world. They are charged with the defense of the city against magical threats, and many of their members have ties to the city’s high society. Bards, sorcerers, and wizards are best suited for this affiliation. (Maybe fitting for Xeshanth and Onwyn?)

    Zelkarune’s Horns: Based in the Champion’s District where, among other things, they manage the hugely popular events in the Sasserine Arena, Zelkarune’s Horns consists of gladiators, big-game hunters, mercenaries, and explorers of the surrounding wildlands. Beyond Sasserine’s walls, members of the Horns often operate alone (or as members of small groups), seeking new creatures to populate arena fights or merely looking for adventure and treasure to further their own (and by extension, the Horns’) fame and glory. Barbarians, fighters, rangers, and rogues are best suited for this affiliation. (Probably an odd fit for any of you...)

    Church of the Whirling Fury: Perhaps the most mysterious of the six affiliations presented here, the Church of the Whirling Fury is in fact a semi-secret group of like-minded souls who seek to oppose the advance of demonic influences into the Material Plane while at the same time venerating their patron, the eladrin paragon Gwynharwyf. They keep their presence in Sasserine subtle, operating on the theory that to openly oppose such dangerous forces invites open retaliation—much better to gather information and strike with the advantage of surprise. The church of the Whirling Fury accepts members of all vocations and skills, although their doctrines tend to preach “all for the greater good.” As such, they often find themselves operating on the shady side of the law. Barbarians, clerics, and rangers are the best suited classes for this affiliation. (We could imagine that Shelyn is an aspect friendly to, or even identical to, Gwynharwyf, if FarmerBink wishes to go this route.)

    All of these groups have the potential to be helpful in different ways, both during this event and later in the campaign. Feel free to search out any of them or suggest a new one of your own design (key word: design; I will require some help from you to make anything completely new).

    So, what now?

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Tarquin's face increasingly reddens as Lady Vandorboren dresses them down. He gulps audibly as she exits the room. "Um, you guys, I'm not sure she can actually help us here... Did you see how tired she looked? She must be under a lot of stress already..." The young man slumps glumly into one of the lavish chairs nearby.

    "So, what now? If Lady Vandorboren doesn't have enough pull with the Dawn Council then I'm not sure my father will be any better, or faster..." He stares forlornly ahead for a few moments, absentmindedly petting Beak. "You know, there's always the option to... administer justice ourselves, in this case, you know? I don't mean anything crazy! Maybe we could go back to the guild hall and sneak in the back door, or ask the guard to, uh, look the other way for a few minutes. It's not really bad if they're a thieves' guild, and we're doing it to stop them, right?"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-11-26 at 10:28 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)


    Tessara (Extinction Curse)


    Tarquin and Beak (Savage Tide)

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

    Xeshanth's tone, never particularly humorous, now turns to the most serious his companions have ever heard him use. "I'm sorry, Tarquin, but I can't allow that, much less participate in it. We have a clear instruction from the authorities not to meddle there. Going back would be a straight-up criminal act, with serious consequences. I'm accountable for Onwym's actions, to his parents -" the elf, who had been nodding approvingly while Tarquin voiced his proposal, sheepishly turns his attention towards his shoelaces - "and I have to say, I also feel responsible for every piece of advice I give to you, young men. Should you find yourself behind bars as a result of your actions... Suffice to say, my next dozen incarnations would still feel the embarrassment."

    "The only way I see us going is... we wait for a whille, and we watch. Surely, the events we triggered will have their ripple effects. Let's keep in touch with the captain every couple of days. You can also, still, talk to your father. This may take time, and maybe not yield spectacular results, but at least you should hear about it if anything happens.

    On my side, I'll go check out on a few friends I have with the Witchwardens. What we have found doesn't seem overly magical in nature. Still, someone may have heard something we could use."


    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume he knows folks within the Witchwardens. He isn't a permanent member himself, but his friends know they can call him for help in the event of a crisis requiring all the city's magical forces.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •