New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

The Savage Tides Campaign, Adventure #1 - There is No Honor

Over the course of the day yesterday all of the PCs are met by a wizened old halfling woman who introduces herself as "Kora" and works for a well-known noble family, the Vanderborens. After greeting them all respectfully she hands each a letter:

Spoiler: The letter
    Show

If asked for more details she explains that her mistress, Miss Lavinia Vanderboren, does not disclose details of her business to her maidservants, and that she really must go. The old woman leaves, bowing her head as she does and disappearing into the masses of the city of Sasserine.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nobility) DC 10
    Show
    You know the Vanderborens are a wealthy noble family heavily involved in sea-going trade.
    Spoiler: Same roll, DC 15
    Show
    Lavinia is the eldest child of the family. She has a younger brother and no sisters.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 15
    Show
    A tragic ship fire a month ago claimed the lives of Verik and Larissa Vanderboren. They were survived by their two children, Lavinia and Vanthus.

The Vanderboren manor is located in the eastern section of the Merchant District. As the PCs arrive they see a seven-foot high stone wall surrounding the estate with a towering, gothic, three-story house dominating the grounds inside. Leering gargoyles and capering nypmhs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city. The front gates are open, though no one greets the PCs till they reach the front door and knock. Kora answers the door, thanking them for coming and leading them to the atrium. "Lady Vanderboren will be with you shortly. Please wait here." The room is growing dark as night falls, though several sets of candles provide enough light to see the many flowers and decorative plants in it.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Please post something about your arrival and feel free to interact with the other PCs. When everyone has posted I will move forward with events.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

"An opportunity uniquely suited to your skills, hmm? I swear, Beak, if this is another noble playing coy about needing a plantation surveyed- hey! Cut that out!" As he enters the atrium, Tarquin is interrupted by the antics of his winged companion, Beak the rhamphorhynchus. The young swoop lizard has dived towards a shiny gold-plated candelabra, and Tarquin rushes to set it back upright before it can catch the manor on fire.

Only then does he realize he's not alone. In fact, the atrium also contains two of his best friends, the Sotheby brothers. "Gerald! Nathaniel! - I didn't see you there. Wait, what are you doing there? Err, I guess I mean here. Here at the Vandorboren's, that is, not over here by the..." He takes a breath, shakes his head, and tries again. "Um, you weren't summoned here by a mysterious letter too, were you?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel and Gerald are whiling away the afternoon when Kora arrives with a pair of letters. As the Halfling woman smiles coyly, the pair read their missives. They lock eyes over her head scowling in confusion. "uniquely suited?" Gerald asks, with a raised eyebrow. Nathaniel's frown deepens. "Yup." Gerald bursts into a wide grin, apparently finding humor in the awkward situation. "Well, we ain't got anything better going on. Might as well, eh?" Nathaniel continues to scowl. "Sure."

"Hiya, Tarq!" Gerald calls, happily, when his friend walks in. Nathaniel nods with a neighborly smile by way of greeting. "'S'posing we did, what's it worth?" the cavalier chuckles, jokingly. "Seems this Lavinia lady has an odd situation, if she wants our help, and yours." He eyes the lavishly furnished room askance, not entirely sure yet whether he trusts the whole situation.

Nathaniel continues to scowl, leaning against a doorway.

4. - Top - End - #4

The intriguing letter didn't specify an exact time, so Xeshanth doesn't see a need for unseemly haste, but he knows enough about the lives and customs of Sasserine nobility to make sure he isn't late. His young apprentice in tow, the pale blue-skinned man enters. When he sees familiar faces, he smiles and greets them in his usual friendly manner. "Good evening, gentlemen! I see we have been summoned to the same time and place, presumably to the same end..." "Yes, yes!" The young elf by his side interrupts him excitedly. "Hi, guys! Surely this must be for something important! And it could be fun!"

Xeshanth turns to his apprentice, frowning slightly, and responds in a calm, but somber tone. "I can't predict how important this is, but I would suggest you don't call it fun yet, Onwyn. Haven't you heard? Both her parents, Lord Verik and Lady Larissa Vanderboren, recently perished in a tragic fire on their ship. Surely, this is a time for mourning for the unfortunate Lady Lavinia. And quite possibly a complicated one, too. The family has long run a highly successful ocean-going trade company. Now, Lady Lavinia inherits this business unexpectedly, along with her young brother Lord Vanthus. If I allow myself to speculate, I would say the help she seeks has to do with this situation, and possibly also with the tragedy of her parents' passing."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-04-07 at 09:08 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald and Nathaniel listen keenly to Xeshanth, having both been utterly unaware of the Vanderboren family's recent tragedy. Nathaniel frowns, his scowl managing to darken further as he considers the ramifications. Gerald shrugs with a wan but polite smile. "May they find peace in the beyond," he mutters, a simple quiet ritual. He offers a less-than-subtle wink to Onwyn, as the young Elf echoes his own thoughts, or hopes anyway.

"Don't mean to be rude," Gerald begins, suddenly focused on a different thought entirely. "but their loss is almost bound to be our gain. Whether she needs help with the business or some other manner, look at this place! She's surely got the resources to compensate us handsomely for whatever these unique skills she thinks we've got!" He chuckles quietly once more at the running gag he's developed with his brother. Even Nathaniel's face breaks into a fierce grin, even while he actively (and ineffectively) tries to quash it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Shh! Gerald! Keep it down - this isn't the time or the place to talk about money. They're still mourning!" Tarquin looks around nervously to check that his friend's faux pas wasn't overheard. "That's, er, very interesting, Xeshanth, but it still doesn't explain what she wants us for - none of us know much about managing a shipping business! My parents probably do, though, and also my older brother Eltan- Oh no! Do you think she got mixed up and addressed the letter to me instead of him by mistake???" Already slightly uncomfortable in the presence of Onwym's sagacious tutor, Tarquin feels his cheeks beginning to flush as the unpleasant idea presents itself.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-04-07 at 07:22 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

"Well, I expect we shall soon know the reason why we've been called. There is no point in fretting about it...", the teacher responds to Tarquin, before casting a reproachful glance in Gerard's direction, "...nor is there a point for any callous expectation of profiting from it, either. That would be widely considered as rude, indeed."

Xeshanth calmly paces around the room, admiring the flowery decoration in the soft candlelight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald dismisses the concerns with a wave of his hand. "Of course I'm not gonna say it to her," he mumbles. "Just trying to pass the time," he adds, grumbling quietly.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

As the PCs are greeting each other four figures emerge from the hall and begin walking towards them. Kora races behind these figures, rushing to get to the front door first.

The figures include a jaunty male half-elf dressed in lether armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a curved spear, an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and lastly a tall and handsome man dressed in polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 15
    Show
    These are the Jade Ravens, a mercenary company that has been in the Vanderboren family's employ for several years. The leader is the man in the breastplate, an outdoorsman named Tolin Kientai. The others include Zan Oldavin, the half-elf, Kaskus Kiel, the dwarf, and Liamae Teslikaria, the woman.

The man with the bastard sword walks up, eyeing the PCs pleasantly before saying, "Hmmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!" before leading his companions towards the front door.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    If you would like to interact with these NPCs you may, though at this time they do not have any significant role to play. You will interact with them more in a future adventure - anything you do/say now will have minimal effect on the immediate adventure since they have a different assignment.

Spoiler: If you don't want to interact with these NPCs
    Show
    Please un-spoiler the following and post it as a quote at the top of your next post:

Moments after the quartet leaves the manor an attractive young woman opens the door to the private dining hall, greets the PCs, and ushers them into the room for dinner.

Spoiler: Lavinia Vanderboren
    Show

The dining hall is a comfortable and cozy room, softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine young man with a short beard. Wearing a long, flowing blue dress, Lavinia Vanderboren smiles as the PCs enter and introduces herself. After several minutes of inconsequential small talk she takes a deep breath and dives into the reason she invited the PCs to dinner:

"Well, as you may have heard, I recently inherited my parent's estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a large amount of debt - some owed to the Dawn Council, more to the harbormaster, and several smaller amounts to quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might hope. If I'm to get these debts paid, I need access to my family's vault under Castle Teraknian.

And that's the problem, you see. The vault is magically locked - keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so - too late for me. This leaves my father's ring. He never wore it - he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. Instead he kept it hidden on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem with that is that the harbormaster has seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears - he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold crowns in return once I've access to my vault.

What do you say? Will you help me?
    "

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    The man with the bastard sword walks up, eyeing the PCs pleasantly before saying, "Hmmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!" before leading his companions towards the front door.
    Tarquin feels the hair on the back of his neck rising as the tough-looking group emerges from deeper inside the manor. He stifles a gulp as the leader looks them over. When the man engages in smalltalk instead of reaching for his blade Tarquin lets out a breath he didn't realize that he'd been holding.

"What? Oh, the chores! Um, yes- er, not exactly, but- well, maybe?" he finishes weakly. "Actually we don't know just why we're here yet. Oh! Did you all receive a letter too???"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

The man laughs and smiles, extending a hand to Tarquin. "A letter? Hah! No, we work for the Vanderboren family and have for some time. I'm Tolin Kientai and these are the Jade Ravens. If you don't know why you're here yet, you will soon - Lady Vanderboren will be a good sponsor for you all, I'm sure of it. Treat her well - you won't regret it if you do!" he says with a subtle hint of threat if the party doesn't treat Lavinia Vanderboren well...

12. - Top - End - #12

"Why, of course if she offers gainful employment to us..." Onwym begins. Xeshanth steps in, "actually, whether or not we agree to provide our services to the Lady Lavinia, we will treat her with all the courtesy and respect she expects and deserves, that goes without saying." The tone is soft and friendly, but firm enough for Onwym to understand he should shut up at this point.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald watches with an eager expression as Tarquin makes an odd introduction. He never tenses like his friend does, confident that they're safe in a noble's home in the city. "Oh yeah, I've heard of ya!" he blurts out at the name "Jade Ravens."

His own commentary is likewise cut short by Xeshanth's politically polite response. "Well, duh," he adds, punctuating it with an utter absence of tact. "Ain't gonna make friends bein' jerks to people." He watches the quartet leave, a little confused by the brief interaction.

Nathaniel seems quite relieved to hear Tolin's claims. He shoves off the wall with his hips and nudges Gerald hard in the ribs. With an eager expression, he mutters, "good sponsor!" Gerald quickly matches the younger Sotheby's enthusiasm, before the furrowed brows of thought intrude.

"You guys think we need a name?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"A- a name??" Tarquin watches with a sense of relief as the mercenaries depart. "You mean like the 'Jade Ravens' or whatever those guys call themselves? Don't you think that's a bit over-the-top? We still don't know what she wants with us - it's probably something boring like surveying or scribing." He spreads his hands and shrugs.

"Why, did you have something in mind?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

"I know, I know! We shall be the, the, the Community of the Ring! Like in this book I read!" Onwym exclaims, prompting an amused smile from his mentor. "I think you mean, Fellowship of the Ring."

Onwym frowns, puzzled. "Well, yes, you're right of course... I read it in Elven, so... Anyway, whaddya think? Cool name, right?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Cool name, indeed," Gerald begins. "But- I don't have a ring. Might get one of father's one day, but so far "You've no neeeeed for it,"-" he interjects a comical impression of the patriarch of the Sotheby family's denial. Nathaniel snickers- too far down the list of heirs to ever expect a signet ring, himself.

Gerald turns back to Tarquin. "I suppose "The Boring Surveyors" isn't something I'd wanna be called, anyway!" He chuckles quietly for a moment. "Come to think of it, I don't think 'Jade Ravens' has anything to do with their tasks, though..." Once more, he lapses into thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Moments after the quartet leaves the manor an attractive young woman opens the door to the private dining hall, greets the PCs, and ushers them into the room for dinner.

Spoiler: Lavinia Vanderboren
    Show

The dining hall is a comfortable and cozy room, softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine young man with a short beard. Wearing a long, flowing blue dress, Lavinia Vanderboren smiles as the PCs enter and introduces herself. After several minutes of inconsequential small talk she takes a deep breath and dives into the reason she invited the PCs to dinner:

"Well, as you may have heard, I recently inherited my parent's estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a large amount of debt - some owed to the Dawn Council, more to the harbormaster, and several smaller amounts to quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might hope. If I'm to get these debts paid, I need access to my family's vault under Castle Teraknian.

And that's the problem, you see. The vault is magically locked - keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so - too late for me. This leaves my father's ring. He never wore it - he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. Instead he kept it hidden on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem with that is that the harbormaster has seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears - he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold crowns in return once I've access to my vault.

What do you say? Will you help me?
    "
    Gerald listens politely, perhaps rapturously, as the attractive Vanderboren heiress describes her plight. He's almost staring in a way that many would deem unsuitable for polite company, but from him it comes across as genuine interest. Nathaniel interrupts her commentary only to add "violence?" after she mentions Varks 'language'.

Both the Sotheby's eyes widen at the mention of payment. Sons, but not really heirs of the Sotheby family, neither have ever had such funds at their disposal, and both are obviously, and apparently, interested in making it happen. "Of course we'll help!" Gerald exclaims, even while his younger and lest trusting brother keenly eyes their would-be sponsor. Gerald urgently glances to Nathaniel with an expression that screams "what are you waiting for?!"

After only an instant, they lock eyes and nod. "Ditto," Nathaniel adds.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Violence? Oh, I'm sure it won't come to that! It sounds this like could just be a clerical mix-up - it happens all the time when my family orders extra shipments of goods outside of the normal schedule. The accountants - they're just not very good at adapting to new circumstances, you know?" Tarquin looks to his friends, hoping for affirmation of his intuition.

"At any rate, you want us to head down to the Blue Nixie and confront this Soller Vark fellow: find out what he's up to, resolve the discrepancy in your payment, and perhaps retrieve your father's signet ring if we can. That all seems reasonable. If push comes to shove I'm sure I could ask my father to speak a few words to the harbormaster directly - we pay enough in port taxes that he'd likely do us a favor." He sits back in his seat and sips from his goblet, savoring both the wine and the soundness of his own plan.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-04-10 at 09:49 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald meets Tarquin's eyes and nods sagely. "For sure."

Nathaniel rolls his eyes silently.

19. - Top - End - #19

"I'm afraid this might not be so simple, Tarquin." The samsaran unconsciously reverts to a professoral voice. "The Lady Laviana is now head of her family, a family as noble and influential as any in Sasserine. If this were just a matter of exerting such influence judiciously, I am sure she would have already done so, successfully. So, I suspect something deeper is afoot, here. Isn't that so, Lady Lavinia?" He turns to the young woman who just found herself faced with problems she surely never envisioned would be hers for a great many years yet.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-04-11 at 06:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel's eyes widen. "Oh. Deniability. That's why you need us, steada them." The usually-quiet Sotheby nods towards the door that Tolin and the rest of the Jade Ravens just left through.

Gerald's eyes widen at the realization, a few moments later.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

"Mr. Xeshanth has the right of it," Lavinia begins, her complexion a bit paler at the discussion of violence. "I do not think this is simply an issue of bookkeeping - Vark is a cad who is using my ship for his own gain. I need that signet ring - even more than the ship itself. As for 'deniability' - that isn't exactly your purpose. My parents taught me to never be afraid of doing the right thing, even if it went against the rules. I will back you all up, but I lack the skills to do the deed myself.

I think I can help you and you can help me. The Jade Ravens worked for my parents - they are still helping for now, but not without payment very soon. Help me and you can be my team.

Please - I promise you my loyalty. Please?
    " she asks, her intensity obvious and her desperation clear.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Oh. Er, well, ah-" Tarquin stammers and begins to flush, doubly discomforted by Xeshanth's warning and Lavinia's obvious desperation. He falls silent a moment, thinking, and then a switch inside him seems to flip. "Of course we'll help you!" He looks up with newfound determination. "Why, if you've already paid the mooring fees then this Vark is just a- a lousy thief! If the authorities can't or won't enact justice then maybe we can. We'll show this lowlife what happens when he tries to take advantage of grieving women! It's the right thing to do! Right, guys??" From his shoulder, Beak lets out a loud squawk of approval.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-04-13 at 07:20 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel shrugs, clearly willing, but not precisely eager to help. Gerald nods. "I'm with you, Tarq. And you as well, Miss Vanderboren."

The pair share a glance, heavy with concern and other emotions. For the moment, they don't say any more, instead turning their attentions to Xeshanth and Onwym.

24. - Top - End - #24

Onwym looks up to Xeshanth, who answers: "We'll help, no question. There's no good in leaving thugs in charge, or people in a position of authority to abuse their power for personal gain.

You mentioned that the signet ring that you need is hidden on board the Blue Nixie, Lady Lavinia. Can you tell us more about the ship, and where this ring might be concealed? Would you happen to have the ship's plans at hand? That would be helpful."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-04-15 at 09:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

The PCs can see the tension draining from Lavinia Vanderboren's shoulders as they agree to help her. "Oh, thank you!" she exclaims enthusiastically, seeming to barely restrain herself from moving forward to hug them. After taking a deep breath to compose herself she begins answering questions. "The Blue Nixie is the caravel moored at pier five in the Merchant District. Its the long pier between the Merchants' and the Smiths' Guildhalls. I don't have plans, but it is a very basic design - two decks with a raised forecastle and stern platforms. If I were to guess, Dad probably hid his ring somewhere in the captain's cabin...probably in a secret compartment. He always was a fan of that kind of thing..." With a sniff at the memory of her late father the young noblewoman smiles sadly and looks fondly at the PCs before continuing. "The payment to the harbormaster is 100 platinum plates. I had them delivered in a leather pouch, though the coins are the important part, not the pouch...obviously..."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel nods, taking in the details and doing his best to commit them to memory. Gerald's expression is less intense, but of the same vein. The older brother frowns. "And you haven't been on board in some time? No telling how many thugs this Vark may have around- 100 platinum will go a long way..." He purses him lips and one hand instinctively drifts towards the polearm loop- currently empty of course, the weapon leaning against a wall in the foyer. He frowns, returning his hand to the table. "Guess we've got our work cut out for us. Anyone particularly want to wait until sunrise to pay our goodman a visit?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin blinks, taking in Gerald's suggestion. "You mean - go down there now? Tonight? I suppose we could go take a look, although there's no telling whether this Vark person will be there. It is getting a bit late, after all." He glances outside where the sun has all but set over the course of the dinner. "What about you, Onwym?" he nudges his friend in the ribs. "You think you can stay out late on the town with us? I'd hate to see you get grounded, again" he teases.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald nods. "I mean go down there right now, assuming Miss Vanderboren has nothing else to tell us?" he asks, glancing once more to their would-be patron. Nathaniel nods. "Darkness better."

Both men chortle, though Gerald makes an ineffective effort to hide it, when Tarq offers Onwym a playful jibe.

29. - Top - End - #29

Blushing furiously, the young elf responds in an indignant tone. "Let's go now! Father will think... Whatever he wants to think. I'm not letting you go without me!"

Xeshanth looks at him. "This is a more serious venture than your regular night on town, Onwym... " He sighs. "I see there's little point in trying to stop you. Let's hope it goes well. I would hate having to explain to your parents how you came to be arrested, wounded, or worse... But this is an honest endeavour. I'll come along, and hopefully we won't come to any harm."

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Lavinia listens as the party discusses their options and, when no one has any clear questions for her, gets up to excuse herself, leaving the party to begin their task at their own pace. Everyone is seen out by the halfling woman, Kora, firmly but politely.

You have the option to begin your task as you wish - are you walking to the docks immediately to scout out the situation?