New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

Round 4

"Huh? What're they talking about - what's in the hold?" Tarquin wonders aloud. Nathaniel and Gerald's purposeful movements snap him back to reality, though, and he casts a spell to bolster the group before moving forward with the others.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Cast bless (1 min duration, +1 attack rolls), and then move to H/11.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"Important," Nathaniel breathes, a harsh whisper in the awkward stillness between fights. The younger brother quickly scans the area for a grate to the hold.

"Huh? What's important?" Gerald mutters, concern furrowing his well-maintained features. Nathaniel snaps twice, drawing his brother's attention, and points to the grate at the older son's feet. He prowls over, snapping up a small piece of holystone no doubt used to clean the deck. He mutters another, briefer incantation and slips it between the slats of the grate.

His older brother steps back to make room, warily holding his weapon at the ready. "Watch that ladder, Tarq," he mutters, unsure of precisely what he's watching for.

Spoiler: Nathaniel & Gerald, round 4
    Show
    Nathaniel Sotheby
    M CG Human Inquisitor (SancSlay/RavHunt/Heretic), Level 1, Init 4, HP 11/11, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 5, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Daggers +4 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Mace, Light +4 (1d6, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition Dirty fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    Child of the Shadows: +2 init in urban settings
    Divine favor: 10 rounds
    Bless: 10 rounds

Cast light on something small and handy. 5-foot step to R/12. Drop small and handy and now glowing thing into the hold.

If applicable: (1d20+7)[17] perception

Gerald Sotheby
    M CG Human Cavalier (Disciple of Pike), Level 1, Init 1, HP 14/14, Speed 20
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Bardiche +5 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Lucerne hammer +5 (1d12+6, x2)
    Halberd +5 (1d10+6, x3)
    Scale Mail (+5 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 13
    Condition Challenge: 1/1
    Tactician: 1/1
    Honorable Champion: 1/1
    Bigger they are: +1 AC vs large enemies, +2 vs huge
    Bless: 10 rounds

5-foot step to Q/15.
    Active perception: (1d20)[13]

ready an attack if anything hostile appears:
    (1d20+6)[11] atk
    (1d20+6)[7] CC
    (1d12+6)[7] dmg
    (1d12+6)[9] bonus

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Hey! Wait for me!" Onwym hisses from below. "Yes, young man... May I remind you that your safety is my responsibility, though? "

Xeshanth walks back to the ship's side, and assists his pupil until the youngster is safely on the deck.

4. - Top - End - #64

NecromancerGuy

Round 4

Onwyn pulls himself up to midships and watches the party spread out over the wooden deck. Several spells are cast and the PCs get ready to fight. The Sotheby brothers drop a light into the hold and look inside to see a menagerie of exotic animals in the hold. Parrots, monkeys, strange animated plants, and more fill the hold. It is clear that these animals are part of the common black market trade in rare animals that is found throughout Sasserine.

Just as the two brothers are about to return their attention to the thugs on the main deck a voice is heard calling from below decks. "They's seen the animals, boss - want me to clear out the evidence?" "If they've seen down there, light it up, now!"

On deck no one exits the cabin, but a new voice speaks up, saying, "This is Soller Vark. You are trespassing on my ship! Get off before we kick you off!"

The map is updated. Begin round 4!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 5

Tarquin gulps quietly but then steels his voice, doing his best impression of the way he's seen his father sternly dress down a guildsman who tried to overcharge him.

"Master Vark! We've come to parley on behalf of Lavinia Vanderboren. She paid you the docking fee and it's you who are now trespassing on her ship! We don't want trouble, but we must insist that you leave immediately!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I figure this little speech'll take most of Tarq's turn.
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[23] At least we can say we tried

Move to H/13.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-04-30 at 07:08 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

The brothers Sotheby share an awkward glance over the grate. "Is that what they're scared about?" Gerald asks. Nathaniel shrugs, and turns away from the grate, prowling towards the cabin at the back. He draws his glaive, prepared for the violence he expects. Gerald follows suit, muttering to his allies, "Watch the door. Stay close. They might come running."

Spoiler: Nathaniel & Gerald, round 5
    Show
    Nathaniel Sotheby
    M CG Human Inquisitor (SancSlay/RavHunt/Heretic), Level 1, Init 4, HP 11/11, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 5, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Mace, Light +4 (1d6, x2)
    Divine favor: 9 rounds
    Bless: 9 rounds

NS moves to L/11. Draws glaive.

(1d20+7)[23] NS AoO
    (1d20+7)[22] CC (27, x3)
    (1d10+1)[10] dmg
    (2d10+2)[18] crit bonus

Gerald Sotheby
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Halberd +5 (1d10+6, x3)
    Bless: 9 rounds

GS moves to M15. Use tactician to share intercept charge for the next 3 rounds. As I understand it, this movement happens before the charge. What I'm not sure I understand is whether or not it will allow AoOs. I know that the charge specifically denies an AoO to the target of the charge, but not to other enemies who may be afforded one.
    In particular, I think that using the teamwork feat to move adjacent to the charge path but not into it would afford the user an AoO as the charger passes by.

(1d20+6)[22] NS AoO
    (1d20+6)[13] CC (25, x3)
    (1d12+6)[8] dmg
    (1d12+6)[13] crit bonus

7. - Top - End - #67

Hearing the exchange below deck, Xeshanth reacts with alarm. He moves to take a peek below, and calls out through the grate: "If you start using fire aboard a ship, you will have marked yourself as crazy, and I'll be forced to use magic on you." He then starts casting, in the hope that this may enhance the threat's credibility.

"L'agilité du chat
    Deviendra nécessaire
    Car que faire dans le cas
    Où commence la guerre?"

Onwym advances as well, on the other side, and takes his bow off his shoulder. "Right! And I have arrows for you as well, if you don't behave!" He bends down to get a better look at what's happening below.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xeshanth: Move to P13, cast Expeditious Retreat.
    Onwym: Move to S14, get bow ready for action.
    Demoralize is a standard action, so it's not applicable, but here are Intimidate checks, just in case it helps:
    Xeshanth (1d20+1)[13]
    Onwym (aid) (1d20)[12]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-05-02 at 05:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

Round 5-ish

As the party takes up positions to start the fight sound can be heard from inside the hold and the cabin. From inside the cabin can be heard shoving and cursing as men jostle around until their leader's voice is heard.

"Hold you blaggards! Stand down and stop Mera from lighting up the cages - no point in losing the cargo before we make a profit!" Soller Vark orders his men from inside the cabin. "As for you all - I respect bravery, but I think you're fools to be storming our ship at night. Put away your weapons - now - or prepare to use them. You haven't convinced me of nothing, but maybe you will..."

Diplomacy checks take a full minute to apply when attempting to influence NPCs, but MuffinMan rolled well enough (with Intimidate checks from Gwynfrid assisting, in a sense) that I am comfortable giving you all time to make the check properly. Alternatively, you can continue with combat and try to take the thugs out of the fight (lethally or not - your choice) and then talk with him.

What do you do? If you wish to continue fighting, post actions as appropriate in your next post, please. The map is updated according to your last posts.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    There are specific campaign notes allowing a party to be less Good-with-a-capital-G than most, even to the point of betraying Lavinia Vanderboren at several points. I don't mind either option - play your PCs as you like - but be aware that it is an option to be someone two-faced or outright opposed to the normal, "good guy" approach in this campaign.

It might even be more interesting, honestly. No pressure though.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 6-ish

Tarquin relaxes his fighting stance slightly but doesn't release his grip on the club. Emboldened, he turns over his should to flash his friends a quick thumbs up before continuing his speech.

"Sorry, but there was no other way to make sure you'd take us seriously. None of wants violence, either. Now, it's just as I said. Lady Vandorboren needs her ship back, along with any items you may have... discovered onboard. She - and we - have no interest in... whatever you've got going on here." He gestures to the hold. "You've already received fair payment for the docking fee. So, the deal is simple: you and your men walk away, and take whatever's in the hold with you. In return we'll leave you in peace and ignore whatever shady business it is that you're up to - this time. So what do you say, have we got a deal?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+6)[7] Welp.

I don't think Tarquin would naturally have the idea of being duplicitous or double-crossing Lavinia. I'll make the full Diplomacy attempt to keep things moving. If another PC wants to interject at some point with their own words, or just initiate combat, that's cool too
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-05-03 at 07:21 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald and Nathaniel resume their approach to the deck cabin, the former much more noisily so than the latter. The share a few furtive glances, as each closes the distance somewhat. "Tarq, I think you better back up a bit," Gerald mutters, expecting little from his friend's diplomatic offer.

Spoiler: Nathaniel & Gerald, round 6
    Show
    Nathaniel Sotheby
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Mace, Light +4 (1d6, x2)
    Divine favor: 8 rounds
    Bless: 8 rounds
    Tactician: Intercept charge (2 rounds remaining)

NS moves to H/11.

(1d20+7)[23] NS AoO
    (1d20+7)[17] CC (27, x3)
    (1d10+1)[8] dmg
    (2d10+2)[20] crit bonus

Gerald Sotheby
    Halberd +5 (1d10+6, x3)
    Bless: 8 rounds

GS moves to I14. Use tactician to share intercept charge for the next 3 rounds. As I understand it, this movement happens before the charge. What I'm not sure I understand is whether or not it will allow AoOs. I know that the charge specifically denies an AoO to the target of the charge, but not to other enemies who may be afforded one.
    In particular, I think that using the teamwork feat to move adjacent to the charge path but not into it would afford the user an AoO as the charger passes by.

(1d20+6)[14] NS AoO
    (1d20+6)[26] CC (26, x3)
    (1d12+6)[16] dmg
    (1d12+6)[14] crit bonus

11. - Top - End - #71

Xeshanth comes to the calm realization that the group is in for an actual battle. Not wanting to be overheard, he casts a brief incantation:

"Secret est mon langage
    Seul le vent du murmure
    Portera ce message
    Discrète est sa nature..."

When he whispers towards Onwym, no one else can hear the words. "Don't stay there, boy. They'll be coming up the stairs, just behind you. Come next to me, and get ready."

The youngster comes to stand next to his tutor, and points an arrow towards the stairs leading to the hold below.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xeshanth casts Message.
    Onwym moves to P14 and readies to fire at any armed person emerging from the stairs in V12/13.
    (1d20+1)[9] damage (1d6)[4], cc (1d20+1)[21] cd (1d6)[6].

12. - Top - End - #72

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "So what do you say, have we got a deal?"
    "Well, boys, what do you think? Shall we take them up on their offer?" sneers Soller Vark as he comes out the hatch, a rapier and buckler in hand. Onwyn's bow shot goes wild, and if there was any chance that Soller Vark was willing to negotiate, the arrow quivering in the bulkhead above him (well out of reach) has ended that chance. With a yell the thug lunges at Tarquin, stabbing the young shaman for 7 damage. With a cheer the rest of his thugs begin to pour out of the hatch, earning themselves several blows from the Sotheby brothers. The first two to exit the cabin scream in pain and stumble to the rail, leaping overboard in their hurry to avoid more injuries. "Cowards! Stand and fight, you idiots!" calls Vark with a gravely sound to his voice. Now that you can see him, the bald man has a long, jagged scar running down one arm and a disagreeable expression.

Quickly more of the cutthroat's men exit the cabin, leaving the melee four against six (counting Beak), in the party's favor.

The map is updated. Begin round 7!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 7

"Ughn! You're gonna regret that!" Tarquin gasps in a mixture of pain and rage. With an indignant screech, Beak darts forward to protect his master, clawing at Vark's eyes. While the man is distracted Tarquin aims a cautious blow with his club, keeping a defensive stance against the other thugs.

Show
    Beak will Aid Another to give Tarquin +3 on his next attack vs Vark:
    atk (1d20+5)[13] vs AC 10
    Spoiler: Beak
    Show
    "Beak" Rhamphorhynchus Familiar N HP 5 / 5 Speed ft Init 3 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 7 Will 4 CMB +1 BAB 0 bite +5 (1d3 - 2, x2) Str 6 (-2) Dex 17 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 14 (2) Int 6 (-2) Cha 11 (0)

Tarquin will fight defensively (-4 atk, +2 AC) and attack Vark. Include additional +3 if Beak is successful:
    atk (1d20-2)[7], dmg (1d6+3)[4], cc (1d20-2)[8] (20/x2), cdmg (1d6+3)[9]

Then he will move to J/11, avoiding AoOs thanks to the Escape Route teamwork feat he shares w/ Beak.

Spoiler: Tarquin (fighting defensively)
    Show
    Tarquinius Alderbough Human Shaman NG HP 4 / 11 Speed ft Init 4 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 1 Will 7 CMB +2 BAB 0 Longspear -2 (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Club -2 (1d6 + 3, x2)
    Dagger -2 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

"If you would please take one step back, Gerald?" The teacher's voice is eerily calm, contrasting with his magically enhanced speed as he moves forward, having waited for the young tactician to move out of the danger area. His step is just like tranquil walking, but his actual movement twice as fast. He begins another incantation:

"L'orage des couleurs
    Fera quelques victimes
    Sans leur causer douleur
    Cela punit leurs crimes!"

A blinding flash of colors surges forth from his extended hands, and washes over the thuggish group. At the back, the twang noise from Onwym's bow resonates again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delay until Gerald moves out of the I14-J14 area.
    Move to K14
    Cast color spray over the zone: H13, I13, H14, I14, J14, H15, J15

If one or more thugs are still standing, Onwym fires, preferably at one who's not in melee, and otherwise the closest one:
    (1d20+1)[4] (apply -4 bonus if the target is in melee) damage (1d6)[4], cc (1d20+1)[21] cd (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-05-07 at 09:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Before Xeshanth finishes his request, Gerald is backing away from the oncoming thugs. He maintains a defensive stance for a moment and blinks wildly as a sudden cascade of light erupts from his left. Nathaniel crouches against the cabin, leaving Tarquin a wide berth to escape the melee. The older brother calls out a threat- the promise of pain."Whatever he's paying you, it's not worth this!"

Neither of the brothers wait any longer than they have to. The long-hafted weapons come down on any of the thugs still fighting in the wake of the color spray.

Spoiler: Nathaniel & Gerald, round 7
    Show
    Nathaniel Sotheby
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Mace, Light +4 (1d6, x2)
    Divine favor: 7 rounds
    Bless: 7 rounds
    Tactician: Intercept charge (1 round remaining)

Simple list of priorities:
    1: lethal damage to Soller Vark if he passed the save vs color spray
    2: lethal damage to thugs who have attacked with lethal damage of their own (and are conscious)
    3: non-lethal damage to thugs who have not attacked with lethal damage and are conscious

(1d20+7)[19] glaive attack (does not include flanking or non-lethal adjustments)
    (1d20+7)[17] CC (27, x3)
    (1d10+1)[8] dmg
    (2d10+2)[10] CB
    Spoiler: AoO:
    Show
    (1d20+7)[26] glaive attack (does not include flanking or non-lethal adjustments)
    (1d20+7)[26] CC (27, x3)
    (1d10+1)[11] dmg
    (2d10+2)[11] CB

Gerald Sotheby
    Halberd +5 (1d10+6, x3)
    Bless: 7 rounds

GS 5-foot step to J13, same priority list as NS.

(1d20+6)[15] Lucern Hammer attack
    (1d20+6)[14] CC (26, x3)
    (1d12+6)[11] dmg
    (1d12+6)[17] crit bonus
    Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    (1d20+6)[18] Lucern Hammer attack
    (1d20+6)[24] CC (26, x3)
    (1d12+6)[10] dmg
    (1d12+6)[10] crit bonus

16. - Top - End - #76

NecromancerGuy

Round 7

Tarquin's riposte doesn't connect, and while he and the Sotheby brothers back up Xeshanth moves forward and casts a spell, blasting a spray of color on the thugs. Soller Vark and one other seem effected, dropping to the deck with an audible thud. Nathaniel drops another with a blow from the flat of his glaive while his brother misses the thug nearest him.

As his last ally dives overboard to swim away, all that is heard from Soller Vark is a groan of pain. "Ungghh..."

From below decks can be heard a voice asking, "Boss? What's happening up there? Boss!?!" Several moments later the sounds of shrieking monkeys and parrots wells up from the hold below. About ten seconds after that a terrific crash can be heard, followed by a high-pitched scream, only barely recognizable as the speaker. A strange, shrill keening noise is heard as the scream dies down, with crashes punctuating the noise every several seconds. One by one, the monkey and parrot sounds stop, cut off by an invisible threat as wisps of smoke begin to filter up from below...

Victory against the thugs. Most of them are cowards who would sooner abandon ship than fight. Soller Vark was about the only thing keeping them together.

Combat is over, assuming you do something to restrain the unconscious thugs and deal with the disabled one (hit by Gerald). However, there is clearly something down in the hold. What do you do now?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

The brothers look down with satisfaction, and nod approvingly as the final thug bails. "Good hit, bro." Nathaniel nods with a smirk. "Was, wasn't it?" They both offer Xeshanth an appreciative nod and begin binding the fallen thugs.

That's when the voice comes up from below. "Heh. Your boss ain't gonna be helping much! He's-" Gerald's witty response is cut short by the speaker's scream. His smirk evaporates, replaced suddenly by a concerned frown. For a second or two, he surveys the floor, now littered in thugs featuring primarily unconsciousness and bound limbs.

"Ah, damnit. Help me get these idiots away from any doors." The brothers quickly haul them away from the doors, and begin to notice the smoke. Nathaniel's eyes go wide. "Smoke." He shares a glance with his brother. "Fire."

With one extra moment to steel their wills, they charge into the cabin.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As the remaining thugs fall or scatter under the assault of Xeshanth's magic, Tarquin casts his own spell and rushes forward with the Sothebys. His ears, now magically enhanced, strain to pick out any additional sounds from down below.

Show
    Tarquin will cast Heightened Awareness and, if time allows, will make a Perception check to listen for anything moving below deck: (1d20+10)[27]

He'll walk towards the ladder down in M/12. Beak will come to rest on his shoulder for now.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

"There's fire down there. And... something else. Quick, or there won't be a ship for anybody to have!" With his magically enhanced step, Xeshanth dashes to the stairs and disappears down below, soon followed by Onwym.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think with a double move, both of them can be downstairs and far enough to check what's going on. They'll describe it for the others as soon as they can see the scene.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-05-10 at 10:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

NecromancerGuy

Tarquin listens, his magic enhancing his ability, and hears the sound of something large and carnivorous in the hold. Whatever it is, the creature is smashing through metal cages and into wooden crates to get at the smaller animals inside.

The Sotheby brothers make for the hold, but Xeshanth beats them to the ladder. As the supernaturally fast wizard slides down the rail he finds a scene less hellish and more chaotic. The hold is full of crates, cages, and other containers with rare and exotic animals. There is no rampaging fire, but there are signs that the late-thug down here was attempting to light it up and unsuccessful. Onwyn lands behind his mentor and both gasp as they look into the rear part of the hold.

The reason for the now-very-dead thug's failure is quite obvious. A creature right out of nightmares rears up over the now bisected body of the thug, its insectoid jaws snapping in anticipation as it sees more large prey and turns to charge the Samsaran and his apprentice!

Spoiler: Picture of the enemy (in a different setting)
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge (Dungeoneering) DC 17
    Show
    This creature is a rhagodessa.

The creature rolled poorly and acts after the players. The map has been updated.

May I recommend Xeshanth doesn't let it get him in a grapple?

Begin combat!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 1

Tarquin deduces that the noise is coming from a large carnivore and turns to give a warning, only to see Xeshanth and Onwym already down in the hold! "Uh-oh. There's something down there, and it's big!" he calls to the Sothebys as he rushes over to the ladder. He fumbles at his belt for a magical wand - a gift from his parents on his most recent birthday - and uses it to mend the wounds left by Vark's cutlass.

Show
    Tarquin moves to N/11 and uses the wand of cure light wounds to heal himself: (1d8+1)[6]

CLW wand charges: 49/50 remaining

Beak will go to N/12 and fly in midair above the ladder down.

Spoiler: Tarquin
    Show
    Tarquinius Alderbough Human Shaman NG HP 4 / 11 Speed ft Init 4 AC 14 Fort 2 Ref 1 Will 7 CMB +2 BAB 0 Longspear +2 (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Club +2 (1d6 + 3, x2)
    Dagger +2 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

"Murderous, unknown monster on the loose!" Xeshanth's call clarifies matters, as to what is the most pressing danger, but his studies never covered anything like this. He's not entirely at a loss, however. He closes his eyes, lets the void fill his mind... When he opens them again, he speaks. "A weak spot, between the second and third joints on the mandibles. Take cover after you fire, Onwym!". He steps back, while a tiny circle of black appears on the creature, at the spot he designated. It's something hard to describe, rather the absence of something... The opposite of light, a darkness that feels like the empty space between the stars.

Onwym fires his bow, then prudently puts some distance between himself and this creature of nightmares.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xeshanth: Use Reveal Weakness to give a -1 AC penalty to the monster, then move to U20.

Onwym: attack (1d20+1)[6] damage (1d6)[6]; cc(21) (1d20+1)[14] cd (2d6)[8]
    Then, move to U21.

Xeshanth Samsaran Instructor Wizard (elemental void) 1
    HP 8 / 8 Speed 60 ft (Expeditious Retreat) Init 5
    AC 14 (Shield) Fort 1 Ref 0 Will 4
    CMB -1 BAB 0 Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19/x2)
    Str 9 (-1) Dex 10 (0) Con 12 (1) Wis 14 (2) Int 20 (5) Cha 12 (1)

Onwym Elf Commoner (apprentice) 1
    HP 6 / 6 Speed 30 ft Init 1
    AC 11 Fort 0 Ref 1 Will -1
    CMB -1 BAB 0 Shortbow +1 (1d6, 20/x3)
    Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19/x2)
    Str 9 (-1) Dex 13 (1) Con 10 (0) Wis 8 (-1) Int 15 (2) Cha 10 (0)
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-05-11 at 09:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald and Nathaniel pour through the opening in the deck. "Understood, Xeshanth. Back up!" the cavalier calls, as his brother ducks into the hold with his glaive to the side. Gerald brings his hammer to bear just a moment after following in kind.
    Spoiler: Nathaniel & Gerald, round 1
    Show
    Nathaniel Sotheby
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Mace, Light +4 (1d6, x2)
    Divine favor: 5 rounds? <- Darkone, please confirm. I deducted 1 extra round for decision-making.
    Bless: 5 rounds

If I understand the map and movement, NS can make it to K/20 with a move, and then attack. If an acrobatics check (to drop without falling damage?) is necessary to facilitate that movement: (1d20+2)[3]

(1d20+7)[22] glaive
    (1d20+7)[11] CC (27, x3)
    (1d10+1)[9] dmg
    (2d10+2)[12] crit bonus
    Spoiler: AoO, if applicable:
    Show
    (1d20+7)[22] glaive
    (1d20+7)[9] CC (27, x3)
    (1d10+1)[5] dmg
    (2d10+2)[13] crit bonus

Gerald Sotheby
    Halberd +5 (1d10+6, x3)

GS should make it to M/19, not close enough to attack. He'll take an extra move to K/19 to set up a probable AoO:
    Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    (1d20+6)[21] Lucerne Hammer
    (1d20+6)[14] CC (26, x2)
    (1d12+6)[9] dmg
    (1d12+6)[8] crit bonus

24. - Top - End - #84

NecromancerGuy

Round 1

Tarquin and Beak move to the ladder, with a quick charge of healing before they drop down. Onwyn's arrow flies wide, in spite of his mentor's spell, before the two move deeper into the hold to avoid the monster. Nathaniel and Gerald drop into the hold and scramble towards the creature, with Nathaniel striking a solid blow on the creature's carapace.

For its part, the monster turns to its nearest attacker and springs forward, snapping with its over-sized jaws and reaching with its two largest limbs for Nathaniel. It misses with bite and one pedipalp, but connects with the other, latching onto the young man with the combination of hooks and suckers on the limb. It snaps at the young man again, but misses in spite of its ferociousness!

Nathaniel is grappled by the enemy. Should he escape by an opposed grapple check he will take 1d4 damage from ripping the suckers and hooks out of his own flesh. Using Escape Artist does not incur this risk.

The map has been updated. Begin round 2!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel lets out a grunt, surprised by the spider-creature's unexpected strength. He drops the glaive and pulls out his mace. It's hard to find space to swing, but he does his best to bludgeon the insect anyway.

Meanwhile, Gerald redoubles his efforts to pulverize the creature. "Come on, why don't you pick on somebody your own size!" He steps in to get range, and brings the lucerne hammer around towards the monster's back.

Spoiler: Nathaniel & Gerald, round 2
    Show
    Nathaniel Sotheby
    Glaive +5 (1d10, x3)
    Mace, Light +4 (1d6, x2)
    Divine favor: 4 rounds
    Bless: 4 rounds

(1d20+3)[15] mace (including penalties)
    (1d20+3)[18] CC (23, x2)
    (1d6+1)[2] dmg
    (1d6+1)[5] crit bonus

Gerald Sotheby
    Halberd +5 (1d10+6, x3)
    Condition Challenge: 0/1
    Tactician: 0/1
    Challenge vs bug: +1 damage, +1 to hit if it attacks someone else.

Gerald will challenge the bug as a swift action. If the grapple already applies the +1 attack modifier, please incorporate it.
    5-foot step to L/19
    (1d20+6)[10] Lucerne Hammer
    (1d20+6)[20] CC (26, x2)
    (1d12+7)[12] dmg
    (1d12+7)[11] crit bonus

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 2

Tarquin gulps audibly before descending the ladder. "Come on, Beak - let's go!" When he reaches the hold he rushes forward to strike the beast with is club, hoping to free Nathanial. For his part, Beak flies at the creature's face to distract it.

Show
    Beak will move to K/21 and attempt to aid (+3) Tarquin's next attack:
    Aid Another (1d20+5)[13] vs AC 10

Tarquin moves to K/19 and attacks. (Add +3 if Beak's aid was successful)
    atk (1d20+2)[9], dmg (1d6+3)[7], cc (1d20+2)[7] (20/x2), cdmg (1d6+2)[5]

Spoiler: Tarquin
    Show
    Tarquinius Alderbough Human Shaman NG HP 4 / 11 Speed ft Init 4 AC 14 Fort 2 Ref 1 Will 7 CMB +2 BAB 0 Longspear +2 (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Club +2 (1d6 + 3, x2)
    Dagger +2 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 18 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)

Spoiler: Beak
    Show
    "Beak" Rhamphorhynchus Familiar N HP 5 / 5 Speed ft Init 3 AC 16 Fort 2 Ref 7 Will 4 CMB +1 BAB 0 bite +5 (1d3 - 2, x2) Str 6 (-2) Dex 17 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 14 (2) Int 6 (-2) Cha 11 (0)

Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Their friends, having come to their rescue, find themselves in a bind. So it's a matter of course for Xeshanth and Onwym to do everything they can to help. Unfortunately, their power to do so is limited.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xeshanth: Move to N19. Use Reveal Weakness again to give a -1 AC penalty to the monster.
    Onwym: Move to P19 and fire. (1d20-3)[0] (this includes -4 for firing in a melee, and the monster gets a bonus to AC for cover, as well...) damage (1d6)[5]

28. - Top - End - #88

NecromancerGuy

Round 2

In a frenzy the party converges on the monster, Nathaniel hitting it with a glancing blow, his brother hitting it (barely) with a much stronger strike, and Tarquin connecting (thanks to Beak's aid and the enemy's decreased movement during a grapple) to put the enormous bug down!

End of combat!

With the creature killed and all of Soller Vark's people fled or tied down, the party has a moment to catch their breaths. The smoke in the hold dissipates after several minutes, leaving a few of the rare animals alive. The body of the thug the rhagodessa killed needs to be handled, but for a moment there is time to either wake and question the thugs or search the ship for the payment and the signet ring of Lavinia Vanderboren's father.

How do you proceed from here?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

In the suddenly-relaxed atmosphere, Nathaniel finds himself slumping against the wall. He sighs, as a worried expression fades to relief. Gerald nods, chuckling. "You've had worse. He only just got ahold of you!" The younger brother eyes the older with annoyance and a snort. A few moments later, he rises and approaches the dead thug. It takes only a moment to confirm the man's state, and Nathaniel closes his eyes with an oddly respectful gesture. He hooks a thumb with a grunt. "Problem."

Gerald shakes his head and shrugs. They didn't come here to kill anyone. "All we can do is tell Miss Vanderboren. I figure we get everyone else off the ship, find the ring, and report to her.
    Once she's apprised of the situation, she can take it to the authorities. Hell, look at him. It's clear as day we didn't do it- unless on of you's hiding an astonishingly insect-like arm, somewhere.
    " He chuckles ruefully. "What's done is done. Let's find the ring, find our pay, evict the rest of 'em, and handle the rest in the morning."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin nods, his hands slightly shaking as he wipes the bug ichor off of his club. "That sounds like a good idea - especially the reporting it to the authorities part! Too much excitement for one night... Is everyone all right? The bug didn't take a bite out of you, did he?" Once everyone's wellbeing is accounted for he assisted with combing the ship, looking for the ring and the payment Lavinia had mentioned.
    Show