New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

Tarquin frowns sympathetically during Lavinia's story, even though a few of the details go over his head. He has a friendly rivalry with his own older brother, Eltan, but nothing like this... "Don't worry, my lady - if he's in Sasserine we'll fine him! The vault clerk said that he was there last week, so he probably hasn't gone far."

"You heard he was with a lover in the Azure District, you said? That's one place we could start looking - ask around about someone matching his description. Should we go as a group, or split up to cover more ground?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Just to expedite things I'll roll now:
    Diplomacy check to gather information in the Azure District: (1d20+6)[17]
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald and Nathaniel share a wary glance more than once throughout Lavinia's exposition. Usually unflappable, Gerald finds himself almost dumbstruck, concern apparent on his rough features. "Best get as many feelers out as we can, I figure," he mutters. "But I think we'd better reconvene before we confront him. I don't want trouble, and I hope he doesn't either, but it'll be easier to avoid together."

He pauses long enough to give the others time to interrupt. Nathaniel just nods slowly, agreement all around. "I'll start with some of my friends in the Champion district. They're good people, and unlikely to want to stand between orphaned siblings, no matter the perceived slights." Nathaniel follows on his heels. "I... know some people in Shadowshore," he offers without explanation.

"Either way, meet back here by dinner?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If anyone objects, in or out of character, the brothers will stay together. I recognize the potential for trouble with splitting up, even if they don't. ;-)

(1d20+1)[14] Gerald in Champion district: (1d4)[2] hours to gather info.

(1d20)[1] Nathaniel in Shadowshore: (1d4)[4] hours

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

"How could he do this to you?" an indignant Onwym asks. Xeshanth opts not to comment, but he realizes that Onwym's status as an only child, and not in a human family to boot, makes him poorly equipped to understand sibling dynamics. Instead, he nudges his pupil to more practical matters.

"You heard the lady, young man. I'll go ask my friends in the magic and book shops of the Merchant Quarter, they'll be happy to see me, even when we just spent the afternoon buying some of their finest. What's your take?"

"Er, I suppose I'll go ask Mother. She knows half of the Noble Quarter, surely someone will know something that could help."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Local) (1d20+9)[16]
    Knowledge(History) (1d20+9)[14]

Xeshanth: Gather information in the Merchant Quarter, takes (1d4)[3] hours, Diplomacy (1d20+7)[10]
    Onwym: Gather information in the Noble Quarter, takes (1d4)[2] hours, Diplomacy (1d20)[11]

4. - Top - End - #124

Having had relatively little success in asking the shop owners, Xehshanth now remembers hearing the name Vanthus Vanderboren before, by a prospective employer in the Knowlern family, owners of a plantation outside of town. He decides to head to Sunrise, in the hopes of paying a visit to them and maybe learn something useful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leveraging the succcessful Knowldege(local) roll here.

Gather information in Sunrise, takes (1d4)[2] hours, Diplomacy (1d20+7)[25]

5. - Top - End - #125

NecromancerGuy

(I took the liberty of rolling additional Diplomacy checks for all of you to try and get some information. The DC for success is 20, and unfortunately the only original success (in the Sunrise District) failed to bring up anything useful due to Vanthus not being seen there...)

After several days of fruitless effort looking for head or tail of Vanthus Vanderboren the party is meeting in the Merchant district for a quick bite to eat at lunch. Tarquin has finally heard that a few people from the Azure District remember seeing Vanthus at taverns here in the company of a woman named Brissa Santos. "She grew up a pickpocket, but has tried to turn over a new leaf. She paints now," explains one bar owner. "I ain't seen either of them in about a week, though. Hope that helps!"

In the Merchant District people have seen him, but assumed he was still living in the Vanderboren Manor and were of no help in finding him.

As the party airs their frustrations they are approached by a half-elf with messy black hair wearing a ragged suit of leather armor. Glancing about, he introduces himself quietly, saying, "Good sirs, I'm Shefton. Word is you're looking for one Vanthus Vanderboren. What's news of him worth to yah?" Standing before you nervously, you notice his dirty hands as he wrings them and fruitlessly rubs them on his trousers and wonder if he has information of any value at all...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin looks up from the table at the newcomer, his mouth still half-full with a bite of his sandwich. "Uhnn-hmiff-gh" he begins hastily, before pausing to cough and fitfully finish swallowing his food. At last he looks up again, his face red. "Why - *cough* *cough* - do you ask? Have you - *cough* - seen him?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel says nothing, but eyes the newcomer with undisguised distrust.

Gerald keeps his peace for the moment, preferring to let Tarquin do the talking.

8. - Top - End - #128

Xeshanth eyes the newcomer up and down. He looks shifty, but he might be really just looking for a bit of coin. He looks at Tarquin, happy to let him drive the exchange at this point.

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGuy

"I have. You willing to pay some coin for what I know?" he asks, his voice steadier now that the party is showing some interest.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin glances around the table at the others, suddenly keenly aware of the lightness of his purse after purchasing his new breastplate. "You have? That's great! Um, payment... I guess, if it's something we can use. I'd say... 5 silvers, and we can double it if the information checks out. What do you say?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+6)[26] to haggle
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

NecromancerGuy

"Good sir, Lord Vanderboren has been living the past several weeks in an abandoned complex underneath Parrot Island," the man replies as he takes the silver coins from Tarquin as he looks around. "For some gold I could even take you there myself," he says with a greedy look in his eyes.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Parrot Island? But why? That place is abandoned, and the last place I'd want to live is some drafty cave on an empty rock..." Tarquin wonders aloud as he hands over the silver. He surreptitiously looks to his noble-born friends for confirmation on this point. "Take us there? Um, what do you all think?" he turns to ask the others.

"As for the other half of your payment, why don't you show up at Lady Vanderboren's estate in a few days, once we've had a chance to verify the information. We can tell the housekeeper to expect you, Mister ...- actually, I don't believe we ever got your name?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel frowns at the man's declaration. When Tarquin gives voice to his own thoughts, he begins nodding slowly. "Heh, abandoned" the scruffy inquisitor mutters, quietly. "He isn't on the up-and-up," Gerald interjects, nodding slowly in realization. "Not you, friend. Vanthus, I mean. He's out there because he doesn't want company. He's doing something he knows damn well isn't the right thing to do, and he doesn't want prying eyes."

Gerald frowns, thoughtfully for several moments, before turning back to their informant. "I think we'll take you up on that offer, good man. Lead us to this complex, and I'll give you 1 gold crown out of pocket, with another waiting for you at the Vanderboren estate when we return."

One by one, he locks eyes with his companions, a grim expression on his face. "We'd best go there straightaway. And I think we might need to get ready for an unpleasant conversation with our patron. I don't see anything good coming from this, except hopefully some kinda resolution."

14. - Top - End - #134

"I agree, Gerald. We should go, and we should go prepared for trouble. Something in this is really wrong." He eyes their apparently spontaneous informer with a little bit of suspicion. I thought he'd haggle for more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to find if the informer is entirely truthful here, but Xeshanth isn't trained in that at all. Still worth a shot.

Sense Motive (1d20+2)[18]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-07 at 08:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

NecromancerGuy

"I'm Shefton Rosk, and glad to be of service," the half-elf answers Tarquin. "I don't know anything about trouble, but we can go whenever you are ready." He seems to be on the up and up, despite his apparent discomfort and dirtiness.

Parrot Island has a history of being used by smugglers before the City of Sasserine was well established. The island is little more than a rocky outcropping surrounded by 30-ft cliffs except for the eastern end, which holds a narrow beach. The isle is thick with vegetation with trees roosting hundreds of noisy, brightly colored parrots. Shefton guides the little rowboat he secured for the party to the beach, finds a small trail, and leads the PCs up to a small clearing at the center of the island. Once there, he helps find a stone trap door, opens it, and reveals a 5-ft shaft leading down into the darkness below. A rope hanging from a hook in the wall provides a relatively safe method of descent (DC 5 Climb). "Here we are good sirs. Lord Vanderboren has been staying in the old smuggler tunnels down below. If you wish, I can remain here to ferry you back to the city when you are done with him..."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin peers glumly down into the depths of the shaft. "It makes no sense... falling-out or no, Vanthus has plenty of coin to stay at whichever inn he desires..." Beak squawks an agreement and hops to a perch on its master's shoulder. Squinting in the darkness, Tarquin casts a light orison onto the front of his longspear and uses it to probe the depths below. When he is satisfied that there are no beasties lying in wait he turns back to the others. "Well, I guess we'd better go confront him. Shefton, I think you waiting here is a good idea - there's gold in it for you when we get back to the Vanderboren manor." Then, he gently drops his spear into the opening before grasping the rope and beginning his own descent.

Spoiler: Climb
    Show
    (1d20+2)[3]

Below the surface, the rope quickly becomes smoother than he expected and Tarquin finds his grip slipping! He slides a few feet before he can catch himself, trembling with nerves. "C-careful! It's wet!" he calls out. Above, Beak circles in midair while hissing loudly in indignation.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-06-12 at 05:26 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

The two brothers follow close behind Tarq, prepared to step in and protect him if the need arises. "Yeah, we'll take care of you mate- you're taking care of us," Gerald adds, handing the man a gold crown. Nathaniel's eyes betray his own distrust, but the younger Sotheby keeps his feelings to himself, otherwise. With a start, both of them reach out to steady the rope as Tarq begins to flounder. "Easy, man. Slow and steady, eh?" Gerald chuckles, his heart pumping rapidly in the aftermath of the near-miss.

Gerald tests the strength of the ladder gingerly before little by little putting his whole weight on it and following Tarq into the darkness. Nathaniel eyes the more scholarly folks and hooks a thumb at the ladder. "I'm last." Alone with their unlikely guide/informant, Nathaniel remains cautiously guarded. He doesn't start anything, but he's ready to dance, if it comes to it.

18. - Top - End - #138

Xeshanth simply nods at Nathaniel's invite. Inwardly, he sighs. Another reminder that his physical training is sorely lacking. On the other hand, Onwym, ever the optimist, launches himself down the rope with gusto. He's followed, at a more sedate pace, by his master.

Spoiler
    Show
    Onwym (1d20-1)[17]
    Xeshanth (1d20-1)[5]

19. - Top - End - #139

NecromancerGuy

After all of the PCs descend the 30-ft deep shaft, some more gracefully than others (though none taking falling damage), they have only a moment to get their bearings before they hear a cry from Shefton. He hits the stone floor of the empty room hard and doesn't move.

Spoiler: Heal DC 10, can be attempted without training
    Show
    His neck is broken by his poor landing and he is quite dead...

Seconds later the rope comes slithering down the shaft and a voice can be heard taunting from above, saying, "Say hello to Penkus' ghost for me while your down there!" Then, without waiting for a reply from the PCs the trap door is closed and the ominous sound of something large and heavy can be heard grinding over the closed door, sealing the party inside.

The smuggler caves are pitch black and the air still and clinging...

See the map for what you can see once you get a light source (or if you have Darkvision) and please note where your PCs are. Welcome to your first dungeon!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin jumps up in fright as Shefton's body hits the ground right next to him! Scrambling to his feet, he quickly casts a light orison upon the tip of his spear and uses it to survey the area. "Oh no - Shefton!" Kneeling at the man's side, he quickly feels for a pulse...

Spoiler: Heal
    Show
    (1d20+4)[12]

"Dead..." Tarquin shakes his head as he rises back to his feet, wiping his hands. "Is everyone else alright? Who would do such a thing?! And how did they know we were coming?!"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-06-10 at 09:18 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

"AAAAH! Whaaaat... What happened?" Onwym reacts in total surprise and shock. "D... Dead... That's... Awful..." Seeing someone die, much less in a such a brutal manner, is evidently a first experience for the elf.

Xeshanth remains silent for a moment. The sudden murder is a shock, more so than he wants to admit in front of the youngsters, especially his pupil. With a shake of his head, he gathers his wits together.

"All good questions, Tarquin. The answer to the first is, very likely Vanthus, or somebody who doesn't want him to be found. I don't see a reason for anyone else to pull such a dirty trick. As for the second question, Vanthus may have informers in town, it's not like our inquiries were very discreet. It's also possible he tricked Shefton into leading us here. But in the end, it doesn't matter. We're stuck here, there's nothing for it but to try and find an exit."

"Then, there's this name he mentioned... Penku?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local) to recall anything about Penku: (1d20+9)[27]

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Both Gerald and Nathaniel jump- narrowly avoiding the falling Shefton. They watch, the one hopefully and the other dispassionately as Tarquin searches for a pulse and makes his pronouncement. "Hmph." The younger comments, with pursed lips and a furtive glance upwards.

Gerald turns to Xeshanth and nods along, having come to a similar series of conclusions himself. "That's how I see it, too. Seems Shefton here is the first casualty, but-" he glances around the dimly lit tunnels- "might well be a few more if we're not careful. I'm sure he didn't send us down here for a dinner party, and whatever's here probably knows we're coming. Don't go wandering off blindly." He takes a moment to check the straps on his armor and draws a blade, while Nathaniel does the same.

"Penku doesn't mean anything to me, but I guess he musta died down here." Nathaniel grunts, nodding.

The brothers share a grim glance, and Nathaniel steps out. His soft-booted feet fall almost silently on the sandy floor, though any true attempts at secrecy are foiled by Gerald's heavy footfalls and clanking gestures. The younger brother pauses for just a moment, listening at the door, before attempting to open it, glaive at the ready.

Spoiler: exploration
    Show
    (1d20+9)[14] stealth N
    (1d20+7)[9] perception N
    (1d20-5)[9] stealth G

23. - Top - End - #143

NecromancerGuy

Penkus is a rogue and a cutthroat known in the seedier parts of Sasserine. Xeshanth came across the name during his search for Vanthus Vanderboren when someone mentioned seeing them both together several months back. Rumor has it that Penkus was active in a new thieves' guild called the Lotus Dragons.

None of the PCs hear anything as they begin to creep into the darkness. The walls of this tunnel, though made of brick, are slippery with moisture. Upon opening the door Nathaniel finds a wide hallway going left and right, ending at two sets of double doors at both ends.

The map is updated. Please describe your actions with marching orders, rear-guards, light sources, stealth and perception checks, etc...

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Parrot Island... this is where all the stories of those old smugglers took place, right? Then that means... these are the old smugglers' tunnels! That's great, because it means there's got to be a way out, right? Smugglers are all about hidden passages and secret escape routes and stuff like that. Er, that's what the stories say, anyway."

Tarquin shakes his head and brings his attention back to the present. "Right, let's get moving. Master Xeshanth, why don't you stay with Onwyn in the middle - it's probably safest there. Gerald and I can go in front with the light, and - Nathaniel? Could you keep an eye out behind us?"

Show
    Tarquin will cast Heightened Awareness to sharpen his senses. (Perception mod +10)

Suggest marching order of Gerald, Tarquin (& Beak), Xeshanth, Onwyn, Nathaniel.

Tarquin has a light orison on his spear, and won't try to be particularly sneaky unless someone else suggests it.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

"Smugglers. Right. So it would make sense as a hiding place. I agree, it's bound to have more than one entrance. And that's where I heard the name. It's Penkus. A criminal of some sort, people mentioned having seen him together with Vanthus Vanderboren. I suppose they had a falling out. Anyway, I'm ready." Xeshanth takes his place in the center of the group. Onwym stands next to him, adding: "Yes! Let's get out of here! This place gives me the creeps!"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Nathaniel takes a few moments to peer suspiciously at the walls, in response to Tarquin's comment of secret passages and tunnels within tunnels. His hands drifts exploratively along the moistened bricks, feeling for hidden switches.

Gerald and Nathaniel both nod, and the younger brother continues his search while the rest take their positions. Gerald looks to both sides of the hallway, eyebrows furrowed thoughtfully as he tries to consider the landscape of the small island above them. "This way, I think."

Nathaniel snorts as Gerald steps off to the left. He keeps his eyes peeled on the right door, actually stepping a few paces away from the rest of the party to walk in the dim shadows at the edges of Tarquin's orison. He listens cautiously, ear pressed to the seam while Gerald presses on westward.

Show
    Nathanial perception on the right door: (1d20+7)[10]
    Gerald will move to, and open the left door.

Edit: if you want us to be able to place ourselves on the map, we currently lack the permissions. I would expect Nathaniel at AQ/10, and Gerald at AK/11, unless we're interrupted before Gerald can open the door.

Also, I'd like Nathaniel to be continuing to do the stealth thing. Dunno how well it would work, but in my head, he can stay comparatively hidden, at least, without suffering from visibility issues (in excess of dim lighting).

27. - Top - End - #147

NecromancerGuy

Gerald leads the way to the door on the left, with Tarquin providing light and the rest of the party following. Along the way no secret doors or passages appear and Nathaniel hears nothing through the door on the right.

Past the door on the left, however, is a large chamber with four great wooden pillars rising up to support the ceiling. The ceiling sags dangerously in places and is thick with hanging strands of fungus and plant matter. Several doors line the walls - the door on the opposite wall hangs askew and the sound of sloshing water can be heard from that direction. The remaining doors are to your right - two on the wall north of you and one on the same wall as the door the party just used. To the south the ceiling has collapsed, leaving the southern part of the room choked with debris. A rippling pool of water reaches halfway into the room from this wall of stone and rubble. It seems that a wooden pier once extended into this pool, but all that remains now are several rotting wooden pilings protruding from the water. A man's body floats face down among them...

Your map is updated.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"That's pleasant," Gerald whispers, heavily laced with sarcasm. He does a quick lap of the room, taking just a moment to ensure the other three whole doors are truly closed and peering past the fourth before turning his attention to the corpse in the pool. While Nathaniel makes a more thorough search, Gerald carefully fishes the unfortunate fellow towards the shore with his pole arm.

Show
    If you want rolls again: (1d20+7)[13] perception- applied at each of the three closed doors. He'll stay about one door "behind" Gerald on the first lap, and take up a guarded position at AB/6 to watch Gerald and the others work on the corpse.

Gerald will stand at AD/10 and use the pole arm in ways that are not appropriate for fighting to get the extra bit of reach to pull the floating corpse to shore for investigation.

29. - Top - End - #149

"Yes. Clearly you don't want to be under that part of the ceiling, and the rest isn't that much more trustworthy either." Xeshanth cautiously goes to inspect the nearest door.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not clear to me where the doors are on the map?

In case of need, Perception (1d20+8)[28]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin holds his spear aloft for light, but winces under the oppressive danger of the low-handing ceiling. "Lots of doors - which one should we try first? I read once that you could find your way out of a maze by always following the right wall. Or wait, maybe it was the left... Gerald! What are you doing there?" He notices his friend fishing the corpse out of the water. "There's nothing we can do for him now! What good will that do?"
    Show