New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: IC Savage Tides (Take 2)

Do you wish to travel about the city in disguise? If so, please post details. Likewise if you wish to look into the death of the Harbormaster that will take different rolls.

Assuming you continue to look into the taxidermy guild...

The morning is spent asking about, and it doesn't take too long to discover that there most certainly is a taxidermy guild in the city, in the Sunrise District between Water Street and Dead Dog Alley. The guild is run by a lanky middle-aged man named Nemien Roblach. It isn't hard to find, and when the party gets back together to head that direction it only takes them about a fifteen minute walk to get there.

Entering from the front door, the party finds a showroom full of stuffed animals and monsters. Everything from parrots, monkeys, and bats to exotic creatures like an enormous centipede as big as a halfling, a stirge, and even what looks like a wyrmling black dragon can be found on stands for display. Each item has a tag on it with a price for purchase (from 5 to 500 GP) and near the door is a bell with a short sign that says, "Ring for Service."

Do you want to snoop around or call for the attendant?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A thought occurs to Tarquin for the first time as he stands surveying the showroom with the Sotheby brothers. "Err, the note said that we'd find the 'Lap of the Lotus' below the the Taxidermist's Hall, right? But we don't know anything about this 'Lotus' - if it's some kind of criminal gang or secret society they might not take too kindly to us just asking around about them..." He frowns. "Xeshanth said he was busy going over his books, right? Do you want to look into what happened with the harbormaster while we wait? It's a terrible shame, but if it's connected to Vanthus it could give us an idea about what we're up against..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    No disguises - that was a joke as much as anything

If Xeshanth is spellbook-ing I'd assume he needs a few hours, so maybe Tarquin and the Sothebys can ask around about the harbormaster during that time?

Assuming we want to proceed with that,
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[25] to gather information about the harbormaster's demise over (1d4)[1] hours
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

After a very brief perusal, Gerald and Nathaniel nod agreement. "Thinkin' the same," the younger offers. "Ain't like buildings get up and walk away. We can come back here anytime." He eyes his companions knowingly. "With a little more muscle, maybe."

Show
    That makes sense to me. I figured we would just wait for Xeshanth, and do the scoping out as a group, but I'm fine taking another hour to get info on the harbormaster. Especially with rolls like that. XD

4. - Top - End - #244

NecromancerGuy

As the trio leaves the guildhall and begin asking about for news of the harbormaster's death they receive a bewildering array of responses. Rumors abound, some truly bizarre and fantastical - "I heard he died in his sleep." "No! It was a dark summoning gone wrong - the devil bit the man's head clean off!" "You're both full of it - the Lotus Dragons got him, they did..." "Bah, they're just another bunch of ruffs with no real plan." "That's not what I heard - I heard they was in league with the old Sea Princes and trying to bring back the kings of old!" "Don't listen to these idiots - Keltar Islaran was in debt and couldn't pay." "Good money says one of his sons killed him to get him out of the way!" "Well, however he was killed, I heard they found his body in several pieces..." "Oh yeah, I heard that too!" "Yup, one of the guards I know saw it himself..."

Once back at the Vanderboren residence Gerald finds a note in one of his pockets. It reads,

You're being watched
    by the Lotus Dragon.
    Your questions will
    bring you misery - it's
    best to sit back and let
    things happen as they
    will. Further interference
    will only bring you tears.
    Gerald doesn't know how the note got there and didn't see whoever delivered it surreptitiously to him. (I rolled a Perception check for Gerald against the person who delivered the note to his pocket - Gerald failed the opposed check.)

5. - Top - End - #245

Xeshanth and Onwym spend the day in Lavinia's study, working hard on scrolls and spellbooks. Ever the careful master, the samsaran takes great care to show his apprentice exactly how copying a spell is done, noting how the writing goes away from the scroll afterwards. At the end, one spell escapes his comprehension, and he explains: "See, young one, I am tired now, and incapable of pursuing this last one. As a magic wielder, you must always be aware of your own limits. We'll take that one up again in a few days. Meanwhile - to dinner!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ref the OOc thread for the outcome of Xeshanth's work.

When the news come back, and especially when Gerald shows the note that was stuffed into his pocket, Xeshanth's mood turns somber.

"See this: It's the hand that a criminal mind guides. They're trying to scare us. But that's not the most clever: It proves that this Lotus Dragon gang has something to do with the harbormaster's death, since this is the one thing you have been researching today. So, it's in fact a hint. We shall not be scared, but we'll be cautious. We should show this to Lady Lavinia, first, and from now on she should not make inquiries separately."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-09-23 at 04:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

After their unproductive day, Gerald is simultaneously happy and angry to find the note. Happy because- as Xeshanth points out- it confirms the truth of their search, but angry both because he missed whoever planted it on him and he doesn't respond well to threats. After raving about in decidedly ungentlemanly fashion for some time, he finds himself in a clear portion of Miss Vanderboren's estate, venting his frustration on a pair of huge logs with his halberd.

"One thing's for damned sure," he grunts through labored breaths. "I'll be ready for the fight when they bring it." He scowls in agreement with the suggestion of caution and follows dutifully to share the news with their patroness.

Show
    Well, we still don't really know anything useful, and unless I'm horribly overlooking something, we don't have any useful leads or clues. We know the Lotus Dragon is... exists, anyway. I figure it's a group of some sort with a deliberately intimidating/spooky-sounding name, but that's mostly conjecture. Do we need more diplomacy checks, or shall we go back to the taxidermists' to poke the bear?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin gulps audibly as he reads over the note Gerald presents. "You're sure you didn't see who gave you this? Oh man, this is getting complicated..." He starts pacing nervously. "Alright, we have to go and report to Lady Lavinia - that's step one. Then Vanthus, the murder, these 'Dragon Locusts' or whatever they're called - all we've got is Penkus' hint towards the taxidermist's hall. So that's where I think we should go tomorrow - together, this time!"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

NecromancerGuy

When the party brings their note to Lady Vanderboren's attention she reads it and shrugs. "I don't know anything about anyone or anything called a Lotus Dragon. Please be careful, though - your lives have already been in danger twice. Should you discover the truth about my brother, and if he is somehow a part of this, you will continue to be well-rewarded!" she says. Then, after listening to anything else the party has to report she excuses herself to other tasks of her estate.

Without the noblewoman dining with you dinner is simpler, though still good. Your beds remain safe and comfortable and you wake the next morning ready to investigate the Lotus Dragons further. The day dawns to a dismal rain and overcast skies - people will still be out and about doing business, but your best bet to find people willing to talk will be to go inside businesses and talk to people there.

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check (to find information) Results - DC 15
    Show
    "The Lotus Dragons are a new guild of thieves - they seem to be a lot more organized than the other fly-by-night guilds that have been popping up over the past few years."

Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    "I hear that they've got more than people working for them - they've got ties to animal smugglers and keep the worst of the lot in their guildhall as guardians."

Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    "The Lotus Dragons have some sort of connection to at least one noble family. Why else hasn't the city watch done anything about them?"

Your investigation takes 1d4 hours per check. If the party is traveling together the entire time you can assist each other to increase your roll results. You may continue these checks until you get to DC 25 or higher. Please perform the dice rolls so that we can determine how long your investigation takes. The time of day of the next encounter depends upon these results.

9. - Top - End - #249

Xeshanth's rest is a little fitful, with the words of new spells crossing his mind over and over. At one point, he has a dream in which spells are angry creatures trying to escape from the prison that is his brain... He wakes up in a sweat, turns in his bed for a long time, before finally finding sleep again.

In the morning, he does a little bit more of study, with Onwym's help. The pair show up for breakfast rather late, but soon they're ready to explore the city again. "I think we want to stick together, considering the threat you received yesterday, Gerald."

Spoiler: Gathering information
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[9]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin nods at Xanthus' suggestion. "Yup! Better safe than sorry. Any thugs would think twice before attacking all of us together, right?" As he finishes he breakfast he starts rattling off the names of storefronts in the Merchant District. "Ok, I know a few folks we can ask about the Locust- er, Lotus Dragons. Follow me!"

Spoiler: Diplomacy: Gather information
    Show
    (1d20+7)[11] over (1d4)[1] hours
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald seems somewhat more somber than Tarquin. "If they're simple thugs, sure. I think we're probably poking a hornets nest right now." He snorts a little at the surprise and incredulity on his companion's faces. "Oh, I fully intend to keep on poking. I just think we'd be wise to expect pretty... significant resistance." Nathaniel eats breakfast in silence, but nods along- having considered much the same.

12. - Top - End - #252

NecromancerGuy

After two days of effort the party discovers a sobering story. Since the city of Sasserine threw off the rule of the Sea Princes several decades ago countless thieves' guilds have come together and then fallen in a partially-hidden, underground war. The city watch knows, the council knows, and many private citizens (both criminals and honorable merchants) know. For the most part those in power have let the guilds fight this out with each other and the constant infighting has controlled crime better than a concerted effort ever would.

However, in the last several years a clear victor has silently emerged - the Lotus Dragons. Rumor suggests that the guild has connections to a noble family and the power and money that entails. The recent assassination of Keltar Islaran is one of the more public and recent events centered around the Lotus Dragons taking control of shipping and smuggling in this major port city...

The party begins to walk away from most recent tavern where they have been gathering rumors and begin heading in the general direction of the Vanderboren estate. Rain pours heavily, but that doesn't seem to deter most of the locals from getting out and trying to continue their business - the roads are relatively crowded and more so in the areas near open businesses.

Spoiler: Perception DC 19
    Show
    As you walk you notice several figures that seem to be around every corner. You never quite catch them following you, but the feeling is unnerving.

Spoiler: Perception DC 24
    Show
    It is hard to tell in the rain, but there appear to be figures on most of the rooftops too. You never quite get a good look, and turning your head to look closer causes them to melt into the haze and mist...

The party walks through a market with a narrower lane between (closed) stalls and the buildings. As they turn a corner a couple of boys burst into view chasing a third. The boys narrowly avoid the well armed party and run down another aisle, but not without coming within arms reach.

Spoiler: Perception DC 10
    Show
    While the boys came close a fourth boy lifted several coins from his purse! Twenty gold coins spill out on the street from where his coin pouch was cut. Picking up these coins will take a move action.

The thief is casually walking towards another aisle in the opposite direction of the trio of accomplices...

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    The party begins to walk away from most recent tavern where they have been gathering rumors and begin heading in the general direction of the Vanderboren estate. Rain pours heavily, but that doesn't seem to deter most of the locals from getting out and trying to continue their business - the roads are relatively crowded and more so in the areas near open businesses.
    "Um, guys?" Tarquin keeps seeing eery flickers of movement at the corner of his vision, too consistent to be mere chance. "Nobody panic, but, um, I think we're kinda, sorta, maybe being followed. I can't get a good look, though... Should we take a left here? Try to wander towards the guard garrison, maybe?"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    The party walks through a market with a narrower lane between (closed) stalls and the buildings. As they turn a corner a couple of boys burst into view chasing a third. The boys narrowly avoid the well armed party and run down another aisle, but not without coming within arms reach.
    "H-hey, wait- Stop! Thief!" Tarquin points towards the ne'er-do-well while he bends down to retrieve the coins scattered on the ground...
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-10-01 at 10:13 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

"We're not just being followed - we're being shadowed, with more 'friends' on the rooftops", Xeshanth responds calmly.

When Tarquin reacts to the theft, he responds urgently: "Don't! Pretty sure it's a diversion! We shouldn't stay here!" He pulls his wand out of his pocket, expecting a fight to break out any moment.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald and Nathaniel are a bit surprised by Tarquin's first comment, but not really. "That would make sense," Gerald admits, trying to make it look casual as he reaches for his weapon.

Nathaniel pulls his older brother aside as the ruffians barrel past, using his other arm to grab his glaive haft. "Not enough coin to be worth our lives, Tarq," he grunts, looking towards the rooftops.

Gerald nods his agreement with Xeshanth's assessment. "If we can, let's just get out of here. Quick, follow me." The cavalier briskly steps off towards the edge of the market where the walkway widens- just in case.

16. - Top - End - #256

NecromancerGuy

Tarquin manages to scoop up most of his coins (he loses 1d10+5 total to the thief) and the party shuffles away from the alley. With the dismal rain and sparse crowd it is certainly possible that this would have ended in an ambush in the side street...

Unfortunately, as they continue to walk the feelings of being followed don't stop. Do you have an idea where you would like to force a confrontation? Or will you go all the way back to the Vanderboren Estate? You don't need to describe a specific place - just a general idea of what you want.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"On the roof-! Wha??" Tarquin barely resists the urge to stare obviously at each and every roof around them, before being jerked back to movement by Gerald's insistence. "What? Oh, ok, yeah! Let's go!" he stammers as he follows his friends through the crowd. "Uh, where are we going? The Vandorboren manor is a long way away... If we turn down here there's a guard outpost not too far away. Er, I think."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

NecromancerGuy

As the party leaves the alley-entrance and heads towards the nearest guard posts the hammer never drops - no attack materializes. The rain continues to fall and as they realize that their would-be attackers won't strike out in the open like this leaves them both relieved in the immediate sense and uneasy in the long-term. After the guards check on them and find nothing wrong the party is left with a decision - do you follow up on the lead with the taxidermist or go looking for Lotus Dragons to pick a fight with the thieves?

19. - Top - End - #259

Xeshanth takes stock of the situation, and offers his opinion. "So, these Lotus Dragons aren't completely without sense, and they aren't so sure of their power that they will attack in too obvious a location. But one day or the other, they'll get an opportunity. And we can't stick together like this every hour of the waking day... There's also the possible danger to our own homes, or even to Lady Laviana.

So we need to take the fight to them, before they take it to us. We have this strong indication from the unfortunate Penkus. I say we go check on this taxidermist's hall. The only question is, during the day, or night?"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-10-04 at 05:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarquin shivers from the drizzle and the implication of Xeshanth's words. "What's wrong with right now? Heading to the taxidermist's, I mean. If they're watching us they'll know whenever we make our move, and I'd just as soon have it be daylight outside in case we have to, uh, retreat." Beneath the awning of a market stall Beak chirps indignantly and shakes the water of its scales. "What do you think, Gerald?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald's face mirrors the day's sour weather, and he's already more than a little uncomfortable in his mail and drenched underclothes. "Never put off until tomorrow that you can accomplish today?" he grunts, earning a good-natured nudge in the ribs from his younger brother. "Yeah, I've heard that too," Nathaniel quips.

"Unless one of you knows something I don't that might help us be better prepared, let's get to it."

22. - Top - End - #262

"Yes! Let's do that! I'm tired of looking behind my back and wondering how many killers are out there for us. Let's end it!" Xeshanth doesn't need to echo Onwym's outburst - his firm nod is approval enough.

23. - Top - End - #263

NecromancerGuy

With the party on high alert and avoiding any narrow streets or places where they can be ambushed, they make it to the taxidermists' guild house without further incident. No one can shake the sense that they are being followed, however, and on occasion you even see cloaked figures on the rooftops. While this isn't unheard of, and it is rainy, so most people outside are cloaked, it leaves the party uneasy.

The guild hall is much as they found it before. There is a public door that is currently closed against the wet damp outside. Once inside you find the menagerie of stuffed and preserved animals and a lanky, middle-aged man working behind a desk.

Spoiler: Nemien Roblach
    Show

"Good afternoon, gentlemen! What can the taxidermists do for you this day? Are you interested in a purchase? Or perhaps you have something you wish to have preserved? You caught me out here taking care of some paperwork before returning to a project, but if you need a moment to look around you only need right that bell there," he points to a bell with a sign beside it which says, "Ring for Service," "and I can come right back out to help you." The man looks at the party with a smile, his mustache and beard making sharp lines on his angular face.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald takes a few moments at the door, to try and wring the worst of the day's rain on the man's doorstep. After hanging his coat on a hook provided presumably for this purpose, he steps forward, offering what he hopes is a winsome smile. "We can be patient. We'll call for you when we know what we want, thanks." He begins to look about the shop, equal parts genuine curiosity and confusion over this store's apparent involvement.

Nathaniel nods with a warm expression as well, after likewise leaving his overcoat so as to minimize the mess. The younger Sotheby quickly gets to work looking for anything that seems out of sorts.

Show
    (1d20+8)[10] to find a secret door?

25. - Top - End - #265

NecromancerGuy

The man nods and excuses himself back to (presumably) the tanning workshop. No one finds anything suspicious in the showroom.

26. - Top - End - #266

"This may mean that whatever there is to find, it isn't in this room", Xeshanth says. "Still, let me check for magic first..."

"Ce lieu est bien suspect
    Pour sûr, on y ourdit
    Intrigues et noires menées
    Voire de la magie?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic, look at the place for anything strange, Are there doors to other parts of the building?

Perception (1d20+9)[28]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-10-12 at 08:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

NecromancerGuy

Xeshanth recognizes several preserved and stuffed creatures that in life would radiate magic, but does not find any residual auras in the showroom.

There is only the door through with Nemien Roblach just left, which is labeled "Guild Members and escorted guests ONLY! Dangerous Chemicals - DO NOT ENTER!" Around the back of the building there is a service entrance too, presumably for deliveries and workers to use during business hours.

28. - Top - End - #268

"There's nothing for it, gentlemen - we have to get in there. Anyone up to opening this door in as discreet a manner as possible?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Gerald shares a glance with Xeshanth before turning to his brother. "Discretion is your thing. Don't look at me." Nathaniel shrugs, and raises his hands, one fist on the other open palm. He stares at Gerald with a raised eyebrow, smirking.

Gerald snorts quietly through his nose before mirroring the gesture. On some unseen signal, they both begin pulsing their hands in unison, until on the 3rd pulse, they quickly make a symbol. Gerald's hand closes once more in a fist, while Nathaniel presses forward his first two fingers. "Shears loses," Gerald responds mechanically.

That apparently settling it, Nathaniel chuckles quietly as he steps towards the door. He spends a few moments toying with the latch mechanism, ultimately sabotaging it to remain shut- at least without the application of substantial force. Then he turns back to the group and readies his glaive. "No sense letting them in without working for it," he comments by way of explanation.

Gerald spends the same few moments checking the straps on his mail and readying his halberd. "I don't expect we'll have room to swing in there-" Nathaniel nods, choking up on his own weapon to use it in closer quarters- "but stay close. Don't kill anyone or anything unless you have to." He glances at the other three, making sure all of them are ready for some kind of conflict, and turns purposefully toward the door.

He "opens" it with a heavy booted kick, bellowing, "Vanthus Vanderboren! Don't make this any harder than it already is!"

Show
    1: Yes, that was "Rock Paper Scissors," approximated by a die roll elsewhere.
    2: I'd like Nathaniel to take 20 on Disable device to break the door so that the thieves tailing us can't easily provide backup at our rear. If for some reason that's not possible, (1d20+7)[9]
    3: Gerald will use intimidate on either Roblach (who's name we haven't heard in-character, I think?) or whoever else he first approaches, counting the +2 trait bonus for wielding a 2-handed weapon: (1d20+7)[21]
    4: This one is just a reminder to myself that I want to pursue non-lethal combat, until or unless forced otherwise.

30. - Top - End - #270

Onwym gasps in horror at the "discrete" entry, but Xeshanth just rolls his blue eyes in mock disgust.

"Well. Can't say I could have done it that much better, so..."