New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Scum and Villainy (FitD)

I finally got around and got myself Scum and Villainy. I had briefly looked at it some years ago as a system for a Star Wars campaign, but found it not very attractive for that purpose for some reason. But now I am on the lookout for a generic space opera system, and it's looking a lot more interesting in that regard.

My first impression is that this is a pretty straightforward repaint of Blades in the Dark. Which I guess is what you're looking for when picking up a FitD game. While mechanically seemingly identical, the biggest difference I see is the switch from a criminal gang with a base to a crew with a ship.
    I like the overall approach to dice rolling and scene structure of this lineage of game, and think it's a very good system for campaigns about escalating chaos. The mechanic of roll Nd6 and pick the highest one as your result, and using position and effect to judge the outcome are even neater than the original system from Apocalypse World.

Anyone having experience with the game and insight on what things work well, poorly, or just weirdly and unexpectedly?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Scum and Villainy (FitD)

It's Firefly. There's options for running a more Cowboy Bebop or Blake's 7 style game, but it's 'default' setting down to the playbooks is Firefly.

Sadly I've not had a chance to take it for a spin yet, so I can't give much more information.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Scum and Villainy (FitD)

There is one very specific question I have about the rules: What does the mechanics Machine Whisperer ability do?
    Fixing and building is Rig, not Study.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying