New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default How were the Order of the Scribble able to resist the Snarl's attacks?

We've seen that Soon & Kraagor were able to fight the Snarl directly. This included surviving hits from the Snarl, which have otherwise been pretty much insta-kill. Has it been explained how they were able to do this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How were the Order of the Scribble able to resist the Snarl's attacks?

We don't now. We don't even know if that's an accurate retelling of the event yet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: How were the Order of the Scribble able to resist the Snarl's attacks?

It's also entirely possible that's the only situation where they did any sort of direct battle with the thing, and it appears Kraagor didn't survive it (or at least got pulled into Snarlworld), so even if the scene is entirely accurate as presented it doesn't tell us that the Scribblers had any more ability to battle the Snarl than any other mortal.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

While that is true, we can't simply dismiss the fact that the Scribblers were high level and almost certainly epic level by then, so we don't know that they can be compared to most any other mortals. Also, they apparently survived an attack from the Snarl, not necessarily a hit.
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lirian and Dorukan also studied the Rifts extensively enough to create the Gates. It's possible they had enough of an understanding of the nature of the Snarl to come up with some magical protection.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #6

Thor has a hypothesis that because mortals are composed of three colors (opposed to a god's singular color) that they are not nearly as vulnerable to it as the gods are.

The Snarl might have to kill mortals the old fashioned way...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    Thor has a hypothesis that because mortals are composed of three colors (opposed to a god's singular color) that they are not nearly as vulnerable to it as the gods are.

The Snarl might have to kill mortals the old fashioned way...
    Which it definitely can as the shish-kebabed Empire of Sweat soldier would attest if not for... well you know.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Umm... the dwarven memorial featured prominently in the last comic suggests that 50% of the Order of the Scribble that got close to the rift did not, in fact, resist the Snarl's attacks.

Beyond that, I'd imagine that they fared pretty much as you'd fare against any other epic-level opponent. Lots and lots and lots of magic. Magic's pretty broken, y'all.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Which it definitely can as the shish-kebabed Empire of Sweat soldier would attest if not for... well you know.
    I imagine that's because of the vast power differntial. An Epic-level character, as the Scribblers were by that point, may fair, at least, better in combat against the Snarl then the Eastern Gods did.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Umm... the dwarven memorial featured prominently in the last comic suggests that 50% of the Order of the Scribble that got close to the rift did not, in fact, resist the Snarl's attacks.
    We don’t actually know that. Dorukan and Girard’s words imply that Soon’s decision to have the spell cast while Soon and Kraagor were still in the Area of Effect is what did Kraagor’s in, not the fight with the Snarl.

We don’t actually know how exactly, if at all, Kraagor died. He might (emphasis on might) still be alive on the world-within-the-world.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

We don’t actually know that. Dorukan and Girard’s words imply that Soon’s decision to have the spell cast while Soon and Kraagor were still in the Area of Effect is what did Kraagor’s in, not the fight with the Snarl.

We don’t actually know how exactly, if at all, Kraagor died. He might (emphasis on might) still be alive on the world-within-the-world.
    Evidently I have a new comic to read. or not. I've evidently forgotten something here?
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2020-04-04 at 11:47 AM.
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Evidently I have a new comic to read. or not. I've evidently forgotten something here?
    Cast the spell! Seal the Rift! No! Not until you are both in the clear!

It should have been you that died in that rift, you cowardly son of bich.

It was Lirian instead of Dorukan, though.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    We've seen that Soon & Kraagor were able to fight the Snarl directly. This included surviving hits from the Snarl, which have otherwise been pretty much insta-kill. Has it been explained how they were able to do this?
    Yes. Because Mortals of the OOTS world are made of three quiddities, while the Gods are singe-quiddity. Meaning Mortals are a lot more resilient than Gods against the Snarl. High Level mortals, at least. Lord Shojo hints at it during The Crayons of Time.

Gods are about level 30-60. So an Epic-Level mortal of, say, level 25, would have roughly the same anti-Snarl resilience than a level 75 God, which is well beyond what the pantheon chief deities have. Enough to resist two shots, instead of a single one.

Yeah, a lesser God is probably as weak against the Snarl as a level 10 character. There is a reason why all the gods are scared to **** at the mere mention of it's name.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-04-04 at 12:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Okay. I misconstrued Grey_Wolf's reference to the "memorial" and then mentioning "the last comic" as meaning there was something new about a memorial in comic #1198, which I had not read yet. I take it now that the reference was the last of the flashback comics with the Scribblers.
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Yes. Because Mortals of the OOTS world are made of three quiddities, while the Gods are singe-quiddity. Meaning Mortals are a lot more resilient than Gods against the Snarl. High Level mortals, at least. Lord Shojo hints at it during The Crayons of Time.

Gods are about level 30-60. So an Epic-Level mortal of, say, level 25, would have roughly the same anti-Snarl resilience than a level 75 God, which is well beyond what the pantheon chief deities have. Enough to resist two shots, instead of a single one.

Yeah, a lesser God is probably as weak against the Snarl as a level 10 character. There is a reason why all the gods are scared to **** at the mere mention of it's name.
    I don't see how you're getting specific levels from any of this. There's nothing in the comic to imply that quiddities multiply your level by the number of them you're made of. By that rationale, Xykon can kill gods.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    I don't see how you're getting specific levels from any of this. There's nothing in the comic to imply that quiddities multiply your level by the number of them you're made of. By that rationale, Xykon can kill gods.
    That is because I have not stated that quiddities multiply your level. What I have stated is that quiddities multiply your resistance against attacks from the Snarl.

The Snarl unmades things. It inflicts, let's call it "reality damage". The more quiddities you were formed with, the more real you are. The more "real" you are, the harder it is for the Snarl to unmake you. That's the basis of Thor's plan. That's why the Dark One with his new Quiddity means such a breakthrough.

Xykon doesn't inflict "reality damage" like the Snarl. Neither do the Gods. That's a trait unique to the Snarl. So the number of quiddities Xykon was formed with, means **** for a battle between a God and him.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-04-05 at 09:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

That is because I have not stated that quiddities multiply your level. What I have stated is that quiddities multiply your resistance against attacks from the Snarl.
    Nah, that can't be it, since we know that at realities = 4, you are immune to the snarl. So if there is any actual numbers attached to this (likely, there are not), it has to be more a % damage reduction, so that r=1 gives 25% DR, r=3 gives 75%, and that at r=4, you take no damage.

I may have been seeing too many DCSS lately.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nah, that can't be it, since we know that at realities = 4, you are immune to the snarl. So if there is any actual numbers attached to this (likely, there are not), it has to be more a % damage reduction, so that r=1 gives 25% DR, r=3 gives 75%, and that at r=4, you take no damage.

Grey Wolf
    If realities = 4 made you inmune to the Snarl, the First World wouldn't have been destroyed by it in 27 minutes. (While Lord Shojo is not the most reliable narrator, Thor confirmed that the Snarl destroyed the first world, which was made of 4 quiddities, though maybe it took more than 27 minutes. (#1140))

More likely, realities = 4 means you break even, no advantage or disadvantage except for the fact the Snarl is still a cosmical horror eldritch abomination.

Personal interpretations aside, what we know is:

1) Lord Shojo believes Gods are more vulnerable to the Snarl than mortals (#0274)
    2) Thor stated that because they are single-quiddity beings, Gods are like jelly to the Snarl (#1141)
    3) The more quiddities involved in the creation of something, the more real it is. (#1141)
    4) Four-quiddity seals would be stronger than the 3-quiddity world around it (#1143l)

With all those points into consideration, the question from the OP is easy to answer.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-04-05 at 05:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Are you implying that a creature that Epic level characters fought cannot kill something with just a single HD? You are also heavily implying other things as if I had used absolutes. For one I said that it "might have to kill mortals the old fashioned way" which means doing damage instead of instant kill*. I also used the phrase "they are not nearly as vulnerable" which implies that they can still be vulnerable...

*even then we don't know if it can instant kill a god or if it's damage is divided by the number of colors; which implies a god could survive a hit if strong enough

if it truly was only 27 minutes for planet destruction I can't help but wonder at its size, speed and action economy... its not like the gods are restricted by size.

The Snarl unmades things. It inflicts, let's call it "reality damage". The more quiddities you were formed with, the more real you are. The more "real" you are, the harder it is for the Snarl to unmake you. That's the basis of Thor's plan. That's why the Dark One with his new Quiddity means such a breakthrough.
    Part of me worries that it won't be enough. will the Snarl recognize Purple? (interact with it?) isn't it a different type of reality? will it phrase through Purple and kill all others leaving the Dark One alone to craft a world that will never need fear the Snarl?

Elan is supposed to have a happy ending so... I guess not.

20. - Top - End - #20

Grey Wolf
    Actually, since it was stated that The Dark One could help create an impenetrable seal, that suggests vulnerability to the Snarl is actually defined by you sharing quiddities with it. Maybe we can see it as the Snarl making an attack that drains your shared quiddites sequentially, thus the gods die instantly while mortals last a bit longer before all their quiddities are drained.
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

21. - Top - End - #21

WolfInSheepsClothing

Since divine casting is powered by the gods, I wonder what happens when a cleric of TDO casts something on the Snarl, or if it interacts with someone who has had something cast on them by a cleric of TDO.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Everything we've heard suggests that the actual colour of the quiddity is irrelevant, it's how many of them you have. The Dark One is likely just as vulnerable to being destroyed by the Snarl as any other God, despite his unique quiddity.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Since divine casting is powered by the gods, I wonder what happens when a cleric of TDO casts something on the Snarl, or if it interacts with someone who has had something cast on them by a cleric of TDO.
    If Thor's plan comes to fruition, we'll find out.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Redcloak's crayon tale in Start of Darkness features a goblin priest of TDO interacting with the Snarl.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Redcloak's crayon tale in Start of Darkness features a goblin priest of TDO interacting with the Snarl.
    I was going to say "via a non-magical chicken", but then I checked and the text does explicitly say he cast several divination spells on the rift. I had forgotten that.
    ungelic is us

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    I was going to say "via a non-magical chicken", but then I checked and the text does explicitly say he cast several divination spells on the rift. I had forgotten that.
    What if it was a magical chicken? Maybe a chicken with a status spell on it?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    What if it was a magical chicken? Maybe a chicken with a status spell on it?
    Ya know, I have to note, in quite likely the dumbest thing I will say today, if not all year, that the spell Magic Weapon cannot be cast on natural weapons, but has no such restriction on improvised weapons, such as a thrown chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe
    Magic Weapon
    Transmutation
    Target: Weapon

Magic weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (An enhancement bonus does not stack with a masterwork weapon’s +1 bonus on attack rolls.)

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.
    Release the +1 chickens!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-04-06 at 01:14 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #28

Ya know, I have to note, in quite likely the dumbest thing I will say today, if not all year, that the spell Magic Weapon cannot be cast on natural weapons, but has no such restriction on improvised weapons, such as a thrown chicken.

Release the +1 chickens!
    You've seen this year so far, right? I am confident that every single one of us will find ourselves saying something dumber this year (though it will feel like a couple eons).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Who ever heard of chickens being used as weapons? They're only useful for zip lining.
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Who ever heard of chickens being used as weapons? They're only useful for zip lining.
    Spoiler: They've been weaponized for three decades now!
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2