New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default World threatening plots please

I have a D&D party that just saved one world and then left it. I have a good idea for a new plot and setting, but I'm thinking that if the stakes aren't as high, it'll feel like a letdown.

So let's hear it: who or what are they saving this new world from?

I can give more details about the world if need be, but even ideas that are wildly unfit for the setting can be adapted or maybe used later.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: World threatening plots please

A powerful evil god in the setting eg. Vecna or someone else, has figured out how to have power in space (In D&D gods have minimal to no power in space.)

Now they are going for your world for some reason you decide. They are trying to break through the crystal sphere and enter the solar system. Every day, more problems happen, and the sphere cracks. Pholgiston is seeping through and exploding all over the place. Also space monsters.

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfBarbarianGuy

How did they save the first world?

Edit: Follow the Steven Universe Future plot and let the PCs go mad over what they just did.
    Last edited by the_david; 2020-04-03 at 04:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Is it the same party? If not at some point there's going to be diminishing returns.

As something completely different (probably for later) Locusts? The issue not being that difficult to resolve in theory, except for the people all want other people to do the work and collect the benefits and a single party might be massively overkill in the region where they are, but can't be everywhere.

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

A collection of Fey, Fiends, Elementals, and minor deities have formed a coalition to fight against Heaven's tyranny. The ensuing war is almost sure to sunder this world, and mortals will be caught in the crossfire, if they havent been enlisted/enslaved/brainwashed to fight on either side already.

Will the PC's guide one side to victory, thereby irrevocably changing the world forever? Will they attempt to mediate the conflict, drawing out concessions from the heavenly kings in order to restore the status quo? Or will they ruthlessly and opportunistically promote their own power in the chaos, hoping to come out on top of both sides?
    What I'm Playing: D&D 5e
    What I've Played: D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, D&D 5e, B/X D&D, CoC, Delta Green

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Modern in sense of design focus. I consider any system that puts more weight in the buttons that players mash over the rest of the system as modern.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    How did they save the first world?

Edit: Follow the Steven Universe Future plot and let the PCs go mad over what they just did.
    Kind of hard to explain. They found out the moon goddess of the setting was driven mad by the presence of a second moon, specifically, she was the only being who remembered the original timeline in which the second moon didn't exist. The second moon was inhabited by mind flayers who traveled back to the creation of the planet in a bid for power. The party cured the goddess's madness by blowing up the second moon.

And they kind of already went mad.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

7. - Top - End - #7