New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default DM looking for ideas

I'm essentially running a choose your own death style adventure. the basic premise is that players as a group can choose the basic theme of the next room of the dungeon tower.

A red door denotes feats of strength, or constitution. This most often involves melee brutes beating the crap out of the party
    A yellow door is Dexterity and Wisdom, usually involves skill checks and some ranged fighters
    A blue door is for intelligence and Charisma. This type of room typically involves puzzles and riddles, and might have a spell caster if I feel they need some combat.

each type of door can be a regular difficulty or a hard one. There are also treasure doors and rest areas, as well as exits back to the city. A single door can lead to a whole floor or just a single room, like the one below.

Anyways, just looking for some ideas to throw at my party for some of these various room types. Don't worry about level of mobs as I can adjust that. Just looking for ideas to get the creative juices flowing. The world is entirely homebrew 3.P/SOP/SOM

An example from our game.

Yellow Hard
    The room was a basic hexagon, big enough to move around in for the party but not too large as to feel immense. The party entered and stood on a small platform, slightly bigger than what was needed for the party size. The ground fell away into a dark pit so deep that the party could not see the ground even when dropping a torch. Interspersed throughout the room was pillars, 5' x 5' and the party would have to leap from pillar to pillar to make it to the exits. To make things more complicated there were creatures that also were jumping around the room and firing projectiles at the party. Should the party, or the Mobs fall into the abyss they would lose a turn, and then fall onto the entrance platform the following turn taking falling damage appropriate to their level.
    My party eventually realized that they always fell at the entrance and started setting up ambushes at the entrance and forcing the mobs off the pillars. It worked well for them and while it was a tough fight everyone took part and felt good about the session.

That whole room was made up on the spot, and I set the bar really high for myself and have been chasing that experience ever since. I've learned some things about my party, and my players but, with the quarantine it's been hard for me transitioning into a streaming DM, when I can't read their body language or expressions to know who I might need to engage more. So, I'm turning here to see if maybe I can get some further ideas.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DM looking for ideas

For the intelligence one, how about something like that scene in Indiana Jones 3 where there's writing on the floor and only letters that are part of a certain pattern are safe to walk on.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You could also have a random door. Maybe rainbow or a metal door, some sort of difference to set it apart. It could be a combination, or you could roll dice. It might have loot with no challenge, or even a challenge without loot. Or even it might just be a trick door. The thing is, the party wouldn't know. Don't force them to pick it, just as an interesting opton.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

In one of the rooms, you should place a Green Door just to throw them off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Int:

Enter a room with many doors, each with an answer scribed upon it. On the floor is a question. The door with the right answer leads to treasure and the next question. The wrong doors lead to encounters.

To prevent the group from simply trying answers at random, a wrong answer resets the question to the next one in the queue, and no treasure is obtained. Also, the challenge of the encounter can increase with how obviously wrong the answer is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

One of the blue doors can lead to that classic riddle where two guards are standing by two different doors. One leads to death and the other leads to safety. You can ask each guard a yes/no question, and one of them always lies and the other always tells the truth.

Another blue door can lead to an empty 3 door room, and every time they go through one of the three doors they end up looping back into the same room. The solution is to go through the fourth door: the one they entered with (or cast some spell to get rid of illusions).
    Looking to obtain a copy of Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales