Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1198 - The Discussion Thread

Mind Blank would have blocked divination spells like True Seeing, right? Means they could have gotten a closer look, although X has a pretty good perception check.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    Mind Blank would have blocked divination spells like True Seeing, right? Means they could have gotten a closer look, although X has a pretty good perception check.
    Mind Blank affects mind-affecting effects. True Seeing is not mind-affecting.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    It depends on who you are asking. As written, true seeing is a divination spell and since mind blank blocks "information gathering by divination spells or effects" about the target, it would work. However, what is less clear is whether it was intended to work that way, as the text mostly mentions blocking scrying. Since psionic mind blank explicitly only protects against mind-affecting and scrying effects, that may have been the intention for mind blank as well. So it depends on exactly how you interpret how the spell is supposed to work. It's not exactly well-written. Pathfinder explicitly says mind blank blocks see invisibility and thus we can assume true seeing as well, although the spell was also nerfed in regards to its protection against mind-affecting effects so make of that what you will.

Regardless, we don't know whether Haley or V had mind blank on at the time, nor whether V even prepared it, so it's a bit of a moot point. Roy only mentions that bringing Belkar along would have meant one more fly and one more invisibility so probably not.
    Last edited by catagent101; 2020-04-05 at 07:42 PM.
    I use they pronouns.

Meow Meow Meow. Meow? Meow Meow? Meow Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow. Meow Meow Meow Meow. Sorry, just thinking aloud

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Unless V got a pearl of power VIII or a stronger headband of intellect, they probably don’t even have the slots to prepare three mind blanks anyways.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvtTropes page!

Extended signature here.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    My instinct with the latest strip is that the characters are so adamantly insisting that the Gate must be behind one of those doors that, by unspoken dramatic convention, things are not going to turn out that way.

Remember that in the arc showing what Team Evil were up to midway through the previous book, Redcloak conspicuously remarks that the whole area was built up out of multidimensional stone. In the recollections of the Scribblers taking on the final Rift, it was located at ground level, and as far as we can tell, no mundane physical force can move them (even though they can and do expand without a Gate to hold them shut).

Seems to me that the Gate is probably sealed deep underground -- EDIT: entombed, maybe? Too appropriate -- surrounded by a thick enough layer of the magically-formed stone to block divination magic, and that none of the doors and passages lead to it at all. That said, I would think there would be some suitably cryptic surface-level marker to denote where the Gate now sits deep underground, and so the only unique thing that dates from the Tomb's construction (that isn't a door or a passageway) is the statue of Kraagor.
    Yeah, this is my theory as well. They went out of their way to include the technical exposition that the whole thing was made of extradimensional stone and being completely entombed is much harder to deal with than it being under the statue. Plus then they have to break it down without releasing the beasties.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Like, Voldemort never considered, "aha, I will be immortal! Unless someone kills Nagini. Or an accident happens, and she dies. Or just old age, she's already pretty old and if there were a way to make her immortal if have done it myself already instead of doing this horcrux thing. Huh. Maybe a living creature is a really poor idea for a horcrux."
    I may be wrong, but wasn't the whole point of the horcrux thing that Voldemort could only be killed if *all* of his horcruxes were destroyed? Seems to me that setting up a system where people have seven or eight independent methods of killing you that don't even require you to be present would be even dafter than you're saying his plan was anyway.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I may be wrong, but wasn't the whole point of the horcrux thing that Voldemort could only be killed if *all* of his horcruxes were destroyed?
    If one of the horcruxes is a wet cardboard box, why even bother making into a horcrux, is my point. Choose something durable, not something that is going to be destroyed regardless.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Volde had multiple durable and well hidden horcruxes. He just needed another (because 7) and chose something that would always be at his side without anybody questioning it

Edit: Now that the Order said, that the gate won't be under the statue, I'm completely assured that that's the case. Because drama and such things...
    Last edited by Jannoire; 2020-04-06 at 02:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Flumph

It's also Worth noting that Voldemort made Nagini into a Horcrux while on the run in Albania, Before he got his body back. Presumably he didn't have any major magical artifacts lying around and perhaps he felt a Horcrux that could move on its own could be useful at that Point. He probably wanted a seventh Horcrux Before starting his rebirth plan anyway.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    He probably wanted a seventh Horcrux Before starting his rebirth plan anyway.
    I know it's of topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine...
    He never intended to create seven horcruxes. He wanted to make SIX, because he wanted to have his soul split into SEVEN pieces.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    All I know is that in nearly every "livestream a D&D game" I've ever seen, "kill the child" is a solution that gets suggested way, way too readily.
    DM's and adventure writers hiding demons in children is the root cause of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Unlike Durkon, V can't turn those instances of Sending into something more useful (eg Cure Assorted Wounds), and even if they could, that's still one fewer level X spells they have to handle emergencies.
    A fair point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

12. - Top - End - #102

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    I know it's of topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine...
    He never intended to create seven horcruxes. He wanted to make SIX, because he wanted to have his soul split into SEVEN pieces.
    My Point was that he was still one short, or at least thought he was. I may have lost track of the exact numbers though.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

My Point was that he was still one short, or at least thought he was. I may have lost track of the exact numbers though.
    He thought he only had six but he had seven soul bits, his soul consisted of him (1), his diary (2), the ring (3), the diadem (4), the locket (5), the cup (6)and unbeknownst to him, Harry (7), but since he didn't know about Harry he added Nagini, making his soul eight pieces but with seven horcruxes. Though iirc it was pretty confusing about how many he wanted, and I believe first time I read it I was under the assumption they needed to destroy seven and then kill him.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

It's also Worth noting that Voldemort made Nagini into a Horcrux while on the run in Albania, Before he got his body back. Presumably he didn't have any major magical artifacts lying around and perhaps he felt a Horcrux that could move on its own could be useful at that Point. He probably wanted a seventh Horcrux Before starting his rebirth plan anyway.
    Nope, he made Nagini into a Horcrux while squatting on his Dad's estate. Murdered---the groundskeeper, I think it was. Evidence is that he wanted to find and corrupt the Sword, but he didn't know you don't find the Sword, the Sword finds you.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Nope, he made Nagini into a Horcrux while squatting on his Dad's estate. Murdered---the groundskeeper, I think it was. Evidence is that he wanted to find and corrupt the Sword, but he didn't know you don't find the Sword, the Sword finds you.
    The sword did find several of his soul bits though

In case you want to know which ones, it destroyed the ring, the locket and Nagini, it revealed itself to Harry and it got very close to the diary.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

If one of the horcruxes is a wet cardboard box, why even bother making into a horcrux, is my point. Choose something durable, not something that is going to be destroyed regardless.
    "I'm gonna do a murder, might as well get a bonus out of it, just for kicks." Xykon has done any number of thoroughly Evil things, just because. Of course, Voldemort isn't Xykon, but still.

Voldie did get some use out of having Nagini relatively intelligent and controllable. Though having looked her up in the Potter wiki, I see that she's got a lot of history I hadn't heard about -- among other things, she used to be a human.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    "I'm gonna do a murder, might as well get a bonus out of it, just for kicks." Xykon has done any number of thoroughly Evil things, just because. Of course, Voldemort isn't Xykon, but still.

Voldie did get some use out of having Nagini relatively intelligent and controllable. Though having looked her up in the Potter wiki, I see that she's got a lot of history I hadn't heard about -- among other things, she used to be a human.
    I prefer to ignore that little bit of canon, along with most Harry Potter things outside of the seven books.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

"I'm gonna do a murder, might as well get a bonus out of it, just for kicks." Xykon has done any number of thoroughly Evil things, just because.
    I'm talking about the intelligence of it, not the evilness. Xykon didn't make a living being who could already die his phylactery, after all.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Normally I'd try to think of something witty to say, but you dropped the, "ergleflobble" bomb discreetly in there and now I'm concerned. You can tell me, it's safe!
    "Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of." -- Arthur Dent

I'm talking about the intelligence of it, not the evilness. Xykon didn't make a living being who could already die his phylactery, after all.
    Sure, but Xykon's phylactery is unique, and needs to be carefully protected; its destruction would be disastrous, from his point of view. Using Voldie's model, the more splits, the better. If a damp cardboard box would sit around, ignored, because everyone assumed that he would only choose really significant items, that would be to his benefit. Obviously, he didn't have that level of self-awareness, but it's not a completely stupid premise.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-04-06 at 02:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default OOTS #1198 - The Discussion Thread

Using Voldie's model, the more splits, the better.
    it's a bad sign that this discussion has wandered into the drek that is the HP series.

It occurs to me that as V and Haley look at the x's on the doors to the caves, they are being taken in by the MiTD's deception as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    In panel 1 it is interesting to me how the whole area map looks kind of like a drawing of a gate.

I tried to figure out something else as follow up to that observation, but that's all I got heh.
    I'll follow that thread for you.

The gate is huge, as in the size of the entire area. And horizontal.

We have had several different gate sizes, from small to big:

Soon's gate in Azure city: Size of a single emerald.
    Lirian's gate in the woods: Medium/Large-sized.
    Girard's gate in the desert: Huge-sized (You can see the Order and Laurin & others standing right next to it. It's larger than them, but not overwhelmingly large.).
    Dorukan's gate in starter dungeon: Colossal sized. (Strip #96 shows the scale nicely, with Redcloak and Xykon right next to the gate). Several stories high at least.

=> Conclusion: Serini's/Kraagor's gate is the size of the entire area, several hundred yards. They just have to get rid of bunch of rock (that blocks divinations) first.

The problem with this theory is of course that the crayons in #276 clearly show the Lirian's gate. However, it also depicts Kraagor's rift to be about the same size as well. Then again, crayons are not meant to be completely reliable, and also, the relation between gate size and rift size is not completely clear. Maybe Kraagor's normal-sized rift in the crayon drawing would have just required a larger gate?

Spoiler
    Show
    Start of Darkness seems to confirm the Lirian gate size is accurate.
    Last edited by Zarhan; 2020-04-06 at 03:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Using Voldie's model, the more splits, the better.
    I thought he wanted 7 Soul chunks because 7 was a number of power in magic/folklore and he thought it would confer mystic benefits.

Given how at 7 his soul was already fragmenting so much that it was splitting even when he didn't mean for it to, any more splitting would have probably made him soulless. Like in a very literal sense.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Just a thought but what if Serini had whatever was dug out of that gorge levitated far above literally above the clouds and those coordinates only make sense once you know it's up there?
    Nope. Can't move a rift at all, unless it's still sealed with a gate and you have your cleric perform a particular and particularly complex ritual with an arcane spellcaster and you happen to be The Dark One. That's why the Azure City Throne was built where it is.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I don’t think it’ll only end with “finding the right door” - a being (or group of beings) is strong enough to get through the door with the strongest monsters, all that stands in their way is time. And while Shojo did say that this Gate was made to represent Kraagor’s brute strength... we don’t even know if he was a Thog-level “no brains all brawn” guy. I mean, he spoke in proper grammar, though it was in bold text - perhaps just a slight Int penalty? And Barbarians *can* do some tactics that aren’t just “smash”... I dunno.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvtTropes page!

Extended signature here.

25. - Top - End - #115

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhan View Post
    I'll follow that thread for you.

The gate is huge, as in the size of the entire area. And horizontal.

Dorukan's gate in starter dungeon: Colossal sized. (Strip #96 shows the scale nicely, with Redcloak and Xykon right next to the gate). Several stories high at least.

=> Conclusion: Serini's/Kraagor's gate is the size of the entire area, several hundred yards. They just have to get rid of bunch of rock (that blocks divinations) first.

The problem with this theory is of course that the crayons in #276 clearly show the Lirian's gate.
    The bigger problem with that theory is that Hinjo says in strip #411 that the breach in the Redmountain Hills (e.g. Dorukan's Rift) was the largest of the five.

26. - Top - End - #116

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    J.K. Rowling disagress. According to her, Nagini was made a Horcrux when Voldemort killed Bertha Jorkins in Albania.
    I do agree that he probably would have prefered a Gryffindor relic as a Horcrux originally though.

27. - Top - End - #117

I did wonder how much of a gap there can be between "killing someone" and "making use of their murder to create a Horcrux"

Since, when he talks to Slughorn, he's already killed both Myrtle and his father, and he's asking Slughorn about the whole "multiple horcruxes" thing - implying he hasn't yet made his second Horcrux. That said, it could be a case of wanting to know somewhat after the fact -

"I've made multiple horcruxes - is anything odd going to happen, like losing my nose or something"

without coming out and saying so outright.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-04-07 at 02:58 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The bigger problem with that theory is that Hinjo says in strip #411 that the breach in the Redmountain Hills (e.g. Dorukan's Rift) was the largest of the five.
    Ok, missed that one. So much for that then :)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

I havent followed the various gate discussions, but has the possibility that (since this gate was out of respect for Kraagor and his strength) that you actually *do* have to clear every single dungeon to reveal the Gate come up?
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    I havent followed the various gate discussions, but has the possibility that (since this gate was out of respect for Kraagor and his strength) that you actually *do* have to clear every single dungeon to reveal the Gate come up?
    Heh. And you have to do it by yourself, unaided. If someone helps you, you have to start over from the beginning.

EDIT: "AND... you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WIIIITH... a HERRING!"
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-04-07 at 11:45 AM.