New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Looking for easy PC multiplayer game

hi, I'm looking for some recommendations of a fun, easy, preferably action oriented, PC game I can play with my dad during quarantine. We're not super picky about genre, co-op shooter or mmorpg would probably be our top choice though. Character customization is definitely a big plus for both of us. I'm not particularly into JRPGs type things, though. Also not interested in anything who's deal is "go to exotic location and shoot brown people". It needs to be fairly slow paced, as my dad is a bit tortoise like. We'd prefer something with out to complicated of rules to learn as well.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Looking for easy PC multiplayer game

My friends and I have had a lot of fun with deep rock Galactic. It's a coop shooter, but usually the shooting part is entirely secondary to being a dwarf in space.

It's got a good chunk of cosmetic options, and the 4 classes have different enough kits that they end up playing very differently.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Divinity: Original Sin 2 isn't the easiest game around, but it definitely fits the "slow paced" requirement because it's got turn-based combat, so you have plenty of time to think about what you're doing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There's Dauntless, which is a free to play knock-off of Monster Hunter. Since your father is a bit slow, he can go the gunner route and stay a bit further out.

Unfortunately you missed the free World War Z and in it's current state, I really can't recommend paying full price for one (let alone 2) copies of it.

World of Warships is a slower paced naval shooter game, although there's minimal visible customisation.

Terraria is a very much take the game at your own pace; the bosses can be difficult though, which is countered by you being there.

Path of Exile - free-to-play Diabolo-esque looter. I couldn't get into it, but it's popular.

As much as I would like to recommend Warframe (co-op looter shooter with a massive amount of cosmetic customisation options), it's not slow paced or easy to learn.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The intersection of action oriented and slower paced makes this tricky. Helldivers might work - it's a top down shooter with character customization (both visual and loadout), where you're shooting aliens instead of ethnic minorities. It's also fairly critical of going to exotic places to shoot the natives, in a hilarious black comedy way.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Civ 5 multiplayer is something you could even finish a game in by the time quarantine ends.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If you like MMOs, Final Fantasy XIV is really good. I'll second mentions of Deep Rock Galactic (which punctuates stretches of sedate mining and exploring gameplay with fast and brutal swarms of attacking monsters) and Divinity Original Sin 2 as well.

For Deep Rock, if your dad doesn't have a ton of twitch, I'd recommend he plays the Engineer or Digger. The former gets an automatic turret, a grenade launcher, and a shotgun, so it's very forgiving aim wise (and has a handy gadget that makes platforms), and the latter rolls out with a pistol and a flamethrower and the ability to dig holes fast, plus a big explosive. I'd stay far away from Scout.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

"Slow-paced" and "shooter" don't usually go together. Gears of War maybe?

I'd recommend a puzzle game as a bonding experience; Portal 2 is fantastic at this. It has some of the same aesthetics as a shooter, but it rewards thoughtful planning rather than twitch reflexes.

Diablo 3 is still going strong and it's a pretty great co-op experience. Embark on the latest Season Journey and you'll have a solid checklist of activities that will keep you both busy for a few weeks, longer if you're really going at your own pace.

Oh and if you're familiar with WoW, they have a double XP thing going on right now (and for the next two weeks or so) that will make leveling up pretty fast.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-04-05 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'd second Terraria, definitely. It can turn from jumpy-actiony-exploration to "chilling at base, building and customizing stuff" in an instant, depending on your choice.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warhammer Vermintide (2) might fit the bill. Sort of like a melee-focused Left 4 Dead in a fantasy world. Has a pretty good spread of difficulty levels too, from fairly forgiving to pretty darn hard.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you all for the suggestions! Definitely some things to look into!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can check out Borderlands. It's a pretty decent local co-op series that uses RPG elements in its gameplay.

If you're fine with simple and frustrating, Overcooked will make you two closer...unless you start stabbing eachother with your kitchenware. I don't want to say it's hard, just...well, you'll see.

Wizards of Legend is pretty dang good. Hyper Light Drifter is up there.

Oh, and every Super Mario Galaxy/Odyssey game has a secondary set of functions for cooperative where the second player is physically bound to Mario and provides a bunch of cool powers that Mario couldn't do without them:
    • Galaxy has you aim with the remote to lock enemies and moving platforms from moving, and able to shoot bits or enemies with a star bullet.
    • Odyssey has you control Mario's magic hat, allowing you to shoot out and collect stars, hit enemies, or even give Mario an extra jump in the air.
    • Toad Treasure Tracker has the second player control the camera, but adds functions to lock enemies/projectiles, shoot enemies, and shift platforms.

Nintendo, more than anyone, has found the way that games need to incorporate cooperative gameplay. If a game can't afford to do splitscreen (it's usually too taxing on the hardware), then they should find a way to implement an on-screen sidekick using limited resources. If you haven't played any of the modern Mario games with a friend, you're doing yourself a disservice.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to soft second Overcooked (though Overcooked 2 is just better). It's a brilliant little game, and while it can be frantic it's an approachable frantic for people who aren't twitch gamers. Assuming you don't go for the secret fourth star on every level, which is just nonsense.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.