New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Just for fun, completed webcomics

I put together a list of completed webcomics I'd recommend for another thread, and thought I'd share it here too. What finished webcomics have you guys enjoyed?

*cracks knuckles*

Let's split this into a few categories:

Spoiler: Fantasy
    Show

True Villains -- Sebastian is finally out of jail for his well-motivated but politically inconvenient heroism... and is promptly shanghaied into working for an evil mastermind. To his surprise, he finds himself rather enjoying being on the opposite side of the moral spectrum. Fantasy.

House of Stars -- A fairy tail about a girl who must accomplish three tasks for the queen of the mysterious land she finds herself in. Innocent and charming; beautiful art.

Chorus of the Neverborn -- a dark fantasy in the setting of the TTRPG Exalted. Follows two villains and their kids as the world does its damnedest to drag them figuratively and literally back into hell (and mostly succeeds).

DM of the Rings -- What if The Lord of the Rings was a D&D campaign? Well, actually, it would be a pretty railroady affair, with not enough loot and a particularly annoying omnipotent DMPC... but the players are determined to have fun with it!

Parallel Dementia -- It hurts me, but I can't in good conscience recommend this one, since the domain has lapsed and so only about half the comic can actually be viewed. If you come across an opportunity to read the whole thing, though, it's really quite good. It's spiritual successor/reboot The Sword Interval isn't complete yet, but certainly looks to be getting close, and is also excellent.

EDIT: Thank you, Wayback Machine! Parallel Dementia is the spiritual predecessor to the excellent Sword Interval, both by Ben Fleuter. In a multiverse kept sane by rigid borders between its worlds, this world's borders have been damaged beyond repair. Nightmares leak through on a daily basis, and since belief in them would only make them stronger, it's the duty of Templars to not only defeat them but keep them under wraps. Major characters include the cheerful but powerful robot Reginald, former Peace Keeper David Shizukana, Timothy the fire demon bound into service, the knife-wielding badass Alexi Ivanova, and Fall Boxer, the insomniac Templar somehow bound up in the incident that started the end of the world... and may yet finish it.

Dominic Deagan: Oracle for Hire -- This one's somewhat polarizing. Overall, I liked it, but I can see why others didn't. Follows the adventures of the titular seer Dominic, using his foresight to solve problems from idiot townspeople losing their keys to going toe to toe with powerful mages to save the lives of those he loves to epic duels for the fate of the whole world.

Rise From Ashes -- The living and the dead have coexisted for centuries; ghosts are used to power most technology, and the Red Crows hunt down and capture any ghosts that run amok. However, change is afoot; the rogue ghosts are banding together, getting organized, and they have big plans.... Meanwhile, a nameless little ghost who only wants to be left in peace is about to be dragged into the middle of it all.

The Sword Interval -- Fall Barros is done hiding from her problems. She'd much rather face them head-on as a hunter, tracking down monsters with shotgun and legendary weapon (a famous baseball bat) in hand while she tries to track down the one who killed her parents so many years ago. But why did he spare her in the first place? And why does he seem so pleased that she's finally come out of hiding? Fun Fact: this story is also the spiritual successor to Parallel Dementia.

Spoiler: Sci-Fi + Super Heroes + Dr. McNinja
    Show

Supervillainous -- It's hard to juggle work and family, especially if you work from home. Especially especially if said home is your flying fortress because you're the Crimson Claw, the world's most infamous super villain.

A Miracle of Science -- Love! Giant Robots! Lasers! In a solar system where mad science is a real disease, Benjamin Prester (a law enforcement officer specializing in Science Related Memetic Disorder) must team up with Caprice Quevillion (forensic scientist and representative of the Martian hive mind) to stop a particularly dangerous and ambitious mad scientist bent on world conquest.

Mare Internum -- It's been 5 months since the comic ended, and it's still in the top 20 on topwebcomics.com (or at least it was until today, when the ratings reset with the start of the month). A psychological comic set in the near future, and the space program to Mars turned out not to be far enough for our protagonists to outrun their problems. And then an accident forces them to confront them head-on. Fair warning, this comic's got some heavy stuff.

CARL -- the life of the world's first robotic therapist, who has unexpectedly gained sentience. Mostly slice of life.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja -- ... it's absurd. It's awesome. It's Dr. McNinja. Only here will you find a gorilla receptionist with a rocket launcher, dinosaur riding banditos, an evil unicorn that's also a motorcycle, and surfing robo-Dracula. No, not a robot Dracula that can surf, a robot Dracula being used as a surfboard. Surprisingly strong overarching plot.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Manly Guys Doing Manly Things -- is a take on overly masculine video game and movie characters trying to adapt to normal life in modern society. I think the author just got burned out after doing it for eight years. Good news though, it didn't really leave any huge lingering storylines unfinished.
    Manly Guys Doing Manly Things also has the cutest velociraptors, bar none.

Spoiler: Real World + Urban Fantasy + Real World with Wacky Nonsense
    Show

Krakow -- A comedy/slice of life following the (mis)adventures of Canadian roommates Tom and Case and Case's girlfriend Kia, who just happens to be a succubus that Case summoned from hell on a whim one day. Oh, if you've read Spinnerette, it's by the same artist and set in the same universe.

Krakow 2.0 -- Not a sequel to Krakow, it's just by the same guy. Don't blame me, I didn't make the title. Assassin extraordinaire Marilith has just one more job to pull before she retires. A simple kidnap, followed by a simple ransom. Watch in awe at how things go horribly, horribly wrong. Lots of dark humor.

Marilith -- Sequel to Krakow 2.0. Can't really say much more than that without major spoilers, naturally. More dramatic and serious in tone compared to its predecessor.

Manage a 3 -- The title's a pun on how the comic centers on the three people living in an apartment (a literal 'house of three'). Some pages are still pretty NSFW, but the comic's essentially an R rated romantic comedy, and a pretty funny one (or I wouldn't be mentioning it here).

Noblesse -- The world's most powerful... well, he's not a vampire, but in a roundabout way his species is the inspiration for the myth... anyways, he just woke up after 800 years in slumber. Now he has to adjust to modern life in a modern school. At least at first; he and his servant Frankenstein get pulled into the machinations of a worldwide conspiracy pretty rapidly. A constant escalation of threat handled fairly believably, an ever expanding roster of likable characters and villains you love to hate, and a pretty interesting (and very effective) way of handling an OP protagonist. This is one of the "Big Three" on Webtoons, and for good reason.

Hark A Vagrant -- jokes about historical figures, classic literature, Canada, and the occasional odd ball. No overarching plot.

Misfile -- A boy trapped in the body of a girl, a girl who's lost the last two years of her life, and the slacker angel who did it to them via a literal misfile in the celestial bureaucracy. Part slice of life with race cars and schoolwork, part story about being transgender, part coming-of-age, and part fantasy with angels, demons, ghosts, and a hint of something dark going on in the background. This is one of my favorites, partly because the dialogue is hilarious.

YU+ME: dream -- This is a weird one. Starts off as a fairly typical coming out story, until you hit about the halfway point, at which point... things go crazy. Switches plots, switches genres, switches what you though you knew. To quote Zero Punctuation: "If it's interesting and it's fun and it gives you something to talk about, then it can't be bad." (He was talking about Bioshock: Infinite, but the quote works well here, too).

EDIT: I will also edit in new completed comics as I finish them (as long as it was something I'd recommend), or as other posters remind me of a favorite I've missed.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2023-08-19 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added Sword Interval and Rise From Ashes
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Just for fun, completed webcomics

I've always liked Digger. It's the story of a wombat who accidentally tunneled her way into a strange land - with a heavy emphasis on strange - and is trying to find her way home. It's equal parts surreal and charming.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

There is, perhaps unsurprisingly, an extensive list of finished webcomics on TV Tropes.com, however I'll just link ones that I actually read and enjoyed back in the day.

Cool Cat Studios - By the same writer as Menage a 3, it was a semi-biographical, semi-fantastic story of a couple who run a graphic design/comic studio. Very gentle slice-of-life humour with some fantasy elements.

8-Bit Theatre - An utterly irreverent, if not blasphemous, retelling of the story of Final Fantasy, famous across the internet for portraying Black Mage as a sex obsessed sociopath and Fighter as his dim-witted and mentally innocent companion.

No Need For Bushido - Madcap adventures of a samurai and his friends battling enemies in ancient Japan. Very funny, lots of likable characters and surprisingly historically accurate (besides the plot, at least).

Starslip - Affectionate parody of Star Trek in a universe where everyone is generally well meaning, but significantly less competent than the members of Star Fleet.

Shout outs also to Cup of Suffering and Sexy Losers, both of whom I thoroughly enjoyed but were orphaned rather than finished. Pretty sure their archives are still online, but CoS is very temperamental and SexyLosers is *amazingly* NSFW for just about everything that you can think of....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-04-05 at 07:02 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It says it's a graphic novel, but it's a comic that's on a web, so i'm assuming it still counts? idk.

Either way, i highly recommend Dreamless
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Among a few others already mentioned, I'll add in:

Bobwhite - A slice of life comic about three girls in art school and their journeys of self-discovery, making friends, mistakes, and adventures along the way. Mildly NSFW for occassional coarse language.

Inverloch - A fantasy comic about overcoming adversity and defying expectations, going on a journey to find a missing person. The creator also made....

The Phoenix Requiem - A comic about a nurse in a time of magical plague, dark spirits, and a mysterious stranger.

What Birds Know - A fantasy coming-of-age comic where three friends go on a camping trip and find something weird that changes their lives forever. It's told a lot in flashbacks that explores their past and their connections to each other as they try to figure out just what it is they found.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Turns out TV Tropes has a page for completed webcomics, though it is, ironically, very incomplete. I added most of my list to the page, but it also reminded me of a few I'd forgotten about but would still recommend.

Fans! -- Don't think I can top the description on the TV Tropes page. It's "about the members of a Science Fiction fanclub who battle various monsters, mad scientists, aliens, and time travellers. They were partially opposed by the Fantasmagoric Integration Board (F.I.B), a top secret group of Men in Black led by the charming but manipulative Desmond Jones, who policed the far-out and even fictional threats the club came up against. Gently parodied the obsessions of genre fans whilst at the same time celebrating them. At its best, it was even epic."

Dr. Frost -- The story of a psychologist who is himself incapable of feeling most emotions. Sort of like Sherlock Holmes meets CARL.

But I'm A Cat Person! -- Shapeshifting battle monsters! Shady conspiracies! Weird magic! Gender identity!

Ophiuchus -- Two robots and a skeleton, on a quest to stop a virus.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-04-19 at 12:27 AM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Shout outs also to Cup of Suffering and Sexy Losers, both of whom I thoroughly enjoyed but were orphaned rather than finished. Pretty sure their archives are still online, but CoS is very temperamental and SexyLosers is *amazingly* NSFW for just about everything that you can think of....
    I'm halfway tempted to do a whole new thread for orphaned webcomics. "Ow, My Sanity", "No Rest For the Wicked", "Antihero For Hire", "Charliehorse", "Afterlife Blues", and "Antiheroes" were all so promising.

Emergency Exit straddles the line between orphaned and concluded. The original run of the comic was mostly wrapped up to make way for a reboot... which never really got off the ground. One of the first webcomics I ever read, and I love it to death. Follows a group of college students in an apartment with a fully functional dimensional portal. All of them have some serious secrets of the supernatural variety. Special shout-out to the main villain, Lord Kyran, who... well, I don't want to spoil it, but while at present he's a mostly harmless comedic villain who opposes the protagonists because he knows he's the villain and that's just what villains do, he was not always that way.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-04-18 at 04:16 PM.
    Optimization Trophies

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I put together a list of completed webcomics
    .. categories: Fantasy
    Dungeons and Denizens - Min the minotaur gets a new job as tech-support for a dungeon.
    It ran from 2006-2014, and for the moment, I can only find it on the waybackmachine.

.. categories:Sci-Fi
    Buck Godot, several sort-of film-noir-style detective stories in a far future, by Phil Foglio.
    Also on the waybackmachine.
    Last edited by hajo; 2020-04-19 at 11:56 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

9. - Top - End - #9

I liked the comic Chainroaker On A Budget (wacky random stuff from two Swedish cartoonists who snipe at each other for not getting their half of the comic finished in a timely manner) bit I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here since they swear a lot in it and there's crude humor.

EDIT:

I also enjoyed the D&D comic World of Greyhawk
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-04-22 at 12:47 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This is a fantastic thread idea. I love it.

Bob and George is finished. Apparently it was the first pixel comic. Maybe I'd put it under sci-fi? It's been forever since I read it.

So is Leftover Soup, which is slice of life. I used to like it a lot more, but the older I get, the less I like it. (Which is on me and not necessarily on the author, of course.) Both of these are on the TV Tropes list, though, so I'm not necessarily adding anything new.

Kid Radd isn't, and it's been complete for over a decade and a half. I haven't read this one in a hot minute, either, but I remember really enjoying it, so here it is. I'm honestly not sure how to categorize it. Fantasy with technological characteristics?

11. - Top - End - #11

Problem Sleuth, the MSPA comic that came before Homestuck

Boumeries, a recently concluded Canadian slice-of-life webcomic
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-04-26 at 02:30 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil Plan finished somewhat recently. It's a good Sci-Fi webcomic, with superheroes and what have you.
    Also 8-bit Theater , one of the elder comics of lore ended long ago. The site is a bit finicky, particularly on mobile, but is fully readable. Fantasy.

BACK looks to be done relatively soon and Monster Pulse is expected to be over before the year is out, but neither have really finished quite yet.

I'm less sure as to whether it's an indefinite hiatus or "done for all intents and purposes with something more eventually", but Cucumber Quest is an amazing Fantasy webcomic with well over 900 pages of content.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-05-03 at 07:47 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #13

Fortissima Treasure Hunters doesn't seem to have updated for years

The webcomic version of Theodd1sout ended when the writer switched to animation

Happle Tea hasn;t updated in over a year, but has come back from not updating in over a year before

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #14

I'll split my recommendations into three categories. The first category includes narrative comics (with continuity and plot that lasts more than one page) which ended at a natural stopping point. Either the comic ended with the story all wrapped up as the author intended, or it stopped at the end of a story arc (even if the author originality intended for there to be future story arcs). Either way, comics in this category have an ending I was satisfied reading.

The second category will consist of completed "gag-a-day" comics. You don't have to read these in order and there are no cliffhangers to worry about.

The third category are narrative comics I like that were abandoned in the middle of a scene or chapter. While comics in this category are still fun to read IMO, if you are expecting any sort of resolution you will be disappointed.

So, here is my list:

Narrative comics that ended at natural stopping points:
    Far to the North by Allison Shaw. FttN is a fantasy story about a family living in a tundra surrounded by goblins and dragons. There's a lot of world-building and character development, with a relatively straight-forward plot. The series went on extended hiatus after the completion of Book 1. The author's other comic, Tigress Queen, is still running.

Mare Internum by Der-shing Helmer. A sci-fi comic about astronauts on Mars. The series ran from 2015-2019.

Shortpacked by David Willis: A comic about people working in a retail toy store, but with aliens and superheroes. SP is a sequel/spin-off to Willis' earlier comics, which IMO aren't as good. The series "ended" in January 2015, but it has continued to update once a year with new April Fools Day pages. All of Willis' characters were rebooted in a new series, Dumbing of Age.

Skyvein, by Sen Holiday: A sci-fi/fantasy comic about a selkie smuggler living in a totalitarian city-state. The series went on extended-hiatus after the completion of Book 1.

Supernormal Step by Michael Lee Lunsford: Ordinary person Fiona Dae is pulled through a portal from her home in Grand Rapids, Michigan to a world with magic. The series ran from 2009 to 2018, and has a definitive ending.

As far as recommendations go, this one is a mixed bag. I love the characters, and the art is also good, but the plot is rather run-of-the-mill, and the world-building is less than stellar. SNS was Lunsford's first webcomic, so at the quality of their writing improved over a lot over the course of the series. The middle section (roughly chapters 9-17) was the best part.

The Legend of Buwaro: Soprano of Time by Chu: A parody both of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and of the author's other comic, Slightly Damned. Legend of Buwaro retells the events of OoT, but with every character from the game replaced by a character from Slightly Damned. The main SD trio of Rhea, Buwaro, and Kieri replace Navi, Zelda, and Link, respectively. You technically don't need to have read Slightly Damned first, but I recommend at least reading book 1, which introduces the main characters.

The Soprano of Time ended in 2018, with the end of the game. Slightly Damned is still running.

Darken by Kate Ashwin: Tells the story of an evil adventuring party in a D&D-esk world. It was based in part on an actual campaign that the author played in, though unlike OOTS the characters don't mention game mechanics. The series ran from 2003-2011. Ashwin's next comic, Widdershins, is still running.

Zap: In a galaxy controlled by the tyrannical Galactic Earth Federation, amnesiac psychic Zap gets drawn into the rebellion.

The series ran from 2003-2014. The initial concept didn't appeal to me all that much, but the degree of planning in this comic is remarkable. I get the impression she wrote the entire story before drawing even the first page. The author's subsequent comic, Wilde Life, is still running.

Let's Speak English by Mary Cagle: A memoir about the author's experience teaching English as a second language in Japan. By 2016, Cagle was making enough money from her other comics to leave her teaching job, bringing the series to a natural conclusion.

Mary Cagle's first comic, Kiwi Blitz, is still running. Her newest comic Sleepless Domain is also still running, and it is really good.

Heartless by Emily Griggs: The comic is about an asexual vampire in 1852 London. Heartless has an all queer cast, and if you like that kind of comic you'll probably like Heartless. One thing that makes this story stand out from other vampire fiction I've read is that all important characters are vampires. There isn't a human protagonist, and there aren't any human vampire hunters with superpowers.

Heartless Book 1 ended in 2017, at which time the series went on indefinite hiatus. Griggs is still posting stuff on her Patreon, so there is some hope she will eventually come back with book 2, but nearly three years later my hopes aren't particularly high.

Completed Gag-a-day Comics:

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things: A comic about time-traveller Commander Badass, who runs a support network for film and video game characters who are too manly to fit in society. The series has been seemingly abandoned since June 2018.

Mezzacotta Hall of Fame
    : Okay, maybe including this as a completed comic is cheating. Mezzacotta is a procedurally-generated comic, which uses the date as a random seed to create a new page each day. While the comic launched in 2008, you can navigate to pages corresponding to dates before the comic launched (and even before the beginning of the universe). The "hall of fame" includes comics which have been rated highly by readers, but it seems to have stopped updating (the last new comic added to the HoF was in January 2019).

Abstruse Goose: Similar in a lot of ways to XKCD, this comic wrapped up in 2014.

That Deaf Guy by Matt and Kay Daigle: A comic about deaf culture, with main characters loosely based on the authors. The series ran from 2010-2016.

Narrative comics that were abandoned in the middle of a story arc:

After thinking it over I am only going to recommend one comic in this category:
    Aether: Earth and Sun, by Gillian Renk:
    The art style for this comic is different from all the others I've read. Aside from the cover pages and the cast page, it is in grayscale, but the shadings of characters and backgrounds are incredibly detailed: moreso than most color comics. For much of the run of Aether, the artist had a job as a colorist for other artists' comics, and she drew Aether in grayscale as a way to take breaks from her job.

The author had a burnout in June 2018, in the middle of what would have been the last chapter. At the time, she promised to write a prose epilogue which resolve the cliffhanger of the comic, but nearly two years later my hopes for the epilogue ever materializing are low. Even so, I still think the series is enjoyable to read. The plot is also sufficiently straight-forward that I don't feel like I'm missing too much by not knowing how it ends.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

This is a valuable thread, thank you!

I echo the recommendation for Digger. I'll also throw some praise for 8-Bit Theatre, which wrings an astonishing amount of content from a simple game; however, its violent and derisive sense of humor will prove too harsh for some.

My recommendation is Unicorn Jelly, an early monochrome webcomic with hidden depths. At first it seems to be a cutesy fantasy with a meandering plot, until suddenly you're reading a harrowing cataclysmic story in which suffering very much outweighs joy. It's Steven Universe crossed with Akira. Unicorn Jelly is the fourth most harrowing comic I've read, after Watchmen, From Hell and Secretary, and just ahead of The Pervert. If you like harrowing stories, and I very much do, this is a worthwhile read, even if its characters look like Sanrio toys.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2020-05-09 at 10:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hiveworks, a webcomic host, has a page listing its completed comics: https://hiveworkscomics.com/completed
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Whelp, hadn't seen this yet, so here we go:

Casey and Andy

A couple of mad scientists, their girlfriends (one of whom is Satan, IIRC), and a cop get into hi-jinks across the world, the underworld, and Sweden.

And Bob was there too.

Very nicely wrapped up in the final arc.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaRaeyld View Post
    Whelp, hadn't seen this yet, so here we go:

Casey and Andy

A couple of mad scientists, their girlfriends (one of whom is Satan, IIRC), and a cop get into hi-jinks across the world, the underworld, and Sweden.

And Bob was there too.

Very nicely wrapped up in the final arc.
    It may also be worth mentioning that the author has become somewhat famous due to some science fiction novel.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post

I'm less sure as to whether it's an indefinite hiatus or "done for all intents and purposes with something more eventually", but Cucumber Quest is an amazing Fantasy webcomic with well over 900 pages of content.
    Cucumber Quest is more "abandoned in the middle of a story arc", unfortunately. (And it's a comic big on story arcs, which are all pretty much unfinished.) The author was eventually going to post an "illustrated script" for the remaining chapters of the story - in the announcement she posted an example for the rest of chapter 5. A pity, because we own the first four chapters in book form, and my 6yo daughter keeps asking for more...
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Errant story

A story about a young half elf girl in magic school who realize she is failing and decides to go on a quest to find enough raw power to force the teachers to give her better grades.

Contains things like:
    Genocidal elves obsessed with keeping the blood lines pure.
    A gunslinger with a heart of gold.
    Religious fanatics.
    Elder gods.
    Time splicing ninja monks.

And it's actually a kind of fun read.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Okay, first one: Narbonic is good old fashioned mad science (/comedy). A true unpolished gem (artwork started out a little rough, that is). Something akin to Girl Genius, but less epic feeling (in a good way. Homey, good clean fun).

Speaking of homey, both Ozy and Millie and Count Your Sheep (the later not officially completed, but on indefinite hiatus for 5 years now) qualify as capturing the childlike innocence side of Calvin and Hobbes in a way that few if any other modern webcomics successfully do (plenty do the 'kids are scoundrels' side very well).

One that I really enjoyed, but may be hard to get into (on account of the order of the story having gotten scrambled) is The Class Menagerie. Furry dorm/undergrad hijinks.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Oh yeah, Ozy and Millie! If you think more comics should draw unabashed inspiration from Calvin and Hobbes, Ozy and Millie is worth a look. I believe its author now has a daily syndicated comic in newspapers, too!

Class Menagerie was never completed, sadly. However, it was astonishing how much its gag-driven, four-panel strips could make you care about the individual characters and their various ongoing struggles.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2020-05-12 at 10:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Holy crap. I just realized you can still read Demonology 101 on the Wayback Machine. This is one of the oldest webcomics out there; it's been a while since I last read it (what with the whole taken off the internet in 2017 thing), but I remember it being pretty good!

Now let's see if I can't extract Parallel Dementia from the Wayback Machine...

EDIT: It lives! Parallel Dementia is the spiritual predecessor to the excellent Sword Interval, both by Ben Fleuter. In a multiverse kept sane by rigid borders between its worlds, this world's borders have been damaged beyond repair. Nightmares leak through on a daily basis, and since belief in them would only make them stronger, it's the duty of Templars to not only defeat them but keep them under wraps. Major characters include the cheerful but powerful robot Reginald, former Peace Keeper David Shizukana, Timothy the fire demon bound into service, the knife-wielding badass Alexi Ivanova, and Fall Boxer, the insomniac Templar somehow bound up in the incident that started the end of the world... and may yet finish it.

EDIT The 2nd: The mighty phoenix is dead to me. Neither has been archived well enough to actually be read. Although I would be grateful if someone else would take a look at the Parallel Dementia links, as each page is still loading (complete with commentary in some places), just with the little picture symbol and an outline instead of the actual comic, so it could actually be a me problem.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-05-18 at 01:07 AM.
    Optimization Trophies

24. - Top - End - #24

Smitty Black: Adventures of A Student Blacksmith, although that was abandoned before it was completed, and then its original host crashed, leaving only the mirror linked here. It's still a fun comic though.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-05-18 at 12:56 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #25

By the way, does anyone have an archive of Out-At-Home? It was a sitcom-like comic about a baseball player and his daughter and her friend that was completed and even got a sequel, but, unluckily, the website went dark a while ago. I own the ebook and what I could download from the Wayback Machine, but I still have a lot of pieces missing (and the e-book has very small images, smaller than the website used to have, I believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Another nifty but finished webcomic is Get Medieval -- linking the TVTropes page since I can't actually check the comic site (to see if it is still active) at work because it is a LiveJournal page (which tells you just how old it is).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post

EDIT The 2nd: The mighty phoenix is dead to me. Neither has been archived well enough to actually be read. Although I would be grateful if someone else would take a look at the Parallel Dementia links, as each page is still loading (complete with commentary in some places), just with the little picture symbol and an outline instead of the actual comic, so it could actually be a me problem.
    So, the first one loads what looks to be a cast page, and the second definitely displayed web comic images for the first few pages. Will try to explore better once I'm on a device other than my cell, but they do appear to have at least some functional images.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would like to add Guilded Age. Starts as regular fantasy, but takes some twists later. Has some lengths at around the middle, but a good read overall.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Evan Dahm's comics are good. They are fantasy stories with a refreshing art style, set in a whimsical world. The stories are a mix of fairy tale logic mixed with darker undercurrents.

Here's a link to a tiny 10-page comic to give you a feel for the art style and the storytelling.

http://www.rice-boy.com/extras.php?ti=1

There are two major finished comics, few short comics under Extras, and a massive 1000+ page story that's still ongoing

Rice Boy is a long story, illustrated in color, about a weird little thing that happily lives in his little home. Some robot guy visits him, talking about some old prophecy. Rice Boy isn't impressed, but packs a sandwich and decides to make a small trip nonetheless. And from there, we trek through a weird world full of weird things and old stories. The whole thing is a bit Tolkien-esque, but more like the Hobbit than the Lord of the Rings.

Order of Tales is illustrated in black and white, it's less whimsical, and is more familiae fantasy story. Much less whimsical, too, although some of that is still there. A young pampered boy must do something for a secretive order, with adventure and action and clear villains and so on.

They're available at www.rice-boy.com . The comic Vattu is still ongoing.

Kid Radd https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd.htm
    This was already mentioned before, but deserves another mention. It's a pixel art (sprite) webcomic, sometimes partially animated, about 8-bit games, nostalgia, and growing and changing as a person. It's like a sprite comic Toy Story of old school platformers and RPGs.

It has a slow start as a daily gag comic, then builds up an actual plot, raises stakes, goes meta, and pulls off a satisfying ending.
    It is very cliche at times, since it both builds on and lampshades old games, simple stories and all, but it's a fun romp, and surprisingly well made.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Kid Radd https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd.htm
    This was already mentioned before, but deserves another mention. It's a pixel art (sprite) webcomic, sometimes partially animated, about 8-bit games, nostalgia, and growing and changing as a person. It's like a sprite comic Toy Story of old school platformers and RPGs.

It has a slow start as a daily gag comic, then builds up an actual plot, raises stakes, goes meta, and pulls off a satisfying ending.
    It is very cliche at times, since it both builds on and lampshades old games, simple stories and all, but it's a fun romp, and surprisingly well made.
    Yeah, Kid Radd was surprisingly good. If you can stomach sprite comics (and many can't), it's worth a look.

Come to think of it, Bob and George is finished, but it would be an ordeal to read now. Big parts of its humor came from its novelty and the community surrounding it, both now moot.