New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Just for fun, completed webcomics

I really enjoyed Anders loves Maria. It is heartwarming, sad, fun, and all that touchy feely stuff, and also very very beautiful.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Snow by Night is an excellent little fantasy comic set in what is essentially early 1800's Quebec, following a small cast of people mostly on the edges of society.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #33

I just discovered Strive and the Star Shards the other day, a fan-comic for this music video. Both are surprisingly good, and I've watched the video probably more times than I care to admit. It's just got that good late-80's sci-fi/fantasy adventure anime look and feel to it.

4. - Top - End - #34

GreataxeFighterGirl

Since I don't think it was mentioned, I suggest Moon You. The art is fairly simple but nice, the humor is great, and the overall story is absolutely lovely. It's about the last surviving man being stranded on the moon.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Snow by Night is an excellent little fantasy comic set in what is essentially early 1800's Quebec, following a small cast of people mostly on the edges of society.
    Is it completed, abandoned, or still in progress? I admit I haven't checked in a while since the story had stalled when I last looked at it, but it seemed to be being written (albeit slowly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Is it completed, abandoned, or still in progress? I admit I haven't checked in a while since the story had stalled when I last looked at it, but it seemed to be being written (albeit slowly).
    I adore Snow By Night, but completed it is not. I wouldn't call it "abandoned" yet, but its hiatus is approaching the 10 month mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I'd call it completed. They didn't throw on a "The End" page, but the last page is absolutely an appropriate ending point for a story, and it tells a complete story.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'd call it completed. They didn't throw on a "The End" page, but the last page is absolutely an appropriate ending point for a story, and it tells a complete story.
    It could be a great ending point, but only as the set up for a sequel. There are too many unresolved threads otherwise. Snow's heart, Jassart, and the European gods are the three big ones that come to mind, and while you could probably drop the first and last of those, Jassart has received far too much build-up to be swept under the rug.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-06-28 at 05:52 PM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    It could be a great ending point, but only as the set up for a sequel. There are too many unresolved threads otherwise.
    There's definite sequel potential to be sure, especially as regards Jassert. I'd consider the first pretty firmly finished; there's a satisfying ending there if not anything approaching a full denouement, the third I'd consider largely an incidental factor to the story at hand that really doesn't need more, and even the Jassert one works as establishing a far future threat, as how long Jassert is sealed in is unknown, but it could easily be a while.

Point is, if it never sees another page I'll still recommend it as a complete story. It either hit an end point and didn't explicitly label it or stalled out at the perfect moment for an ending (which is made easier by the chapter at once release format).

-- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

1/0 is a philosophical comics without the 4th wall. In fact, the interaction between the characters and the author is the key point of the whole work. It may have rather poor graphics and the early parts are randomly silly, but it is worth reading to the very end.

A Quartz Bead - a light-hearted fantasy story with interesting characters and great hand-painted graphics. The same author makes other good comics now that are still running.

Makeshift Miracle deals with dreams, hopes and coping with reality - great example in terms of art and the story itsels.

Marsh Rocket is sadly not available for free reading anymore, but it is still worth mentioning as a great cyberpunk-ish heist story with multi-sided intrigue.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I quite enjoyed 1/0! It took the idea of treating your characters like real people as far as that idea could be taken, given the comic's crude start. Too bad the creator went in directions I didn't like nearly as much, afterwards.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2020-06-29 at 08:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

There's definite sequel potential to be sure, especially as regards Jassert. I'd consider the first pretty firmly finished; there's a satisfying ending there if not anything approaching a full denouement, the third I'd consider largely an incidental factor to the story at hand that really doesn't need more, and even the Jassert one works as establishing a far future threat, as how long Jassert is sealed in is unknown, but it could easily be a while.

Point is, if it never sees another page I'll still recommend it as a complete story. It either hit an end point and didn't explicitly label it or stalled out at the perfect moment for an ending (which is made easier by the chapter at once release format).
    Having read the end of chapter 18, I don't think it is a good spot to end. It may be near the climax of Snow's story, but it has not yet been reached.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Misfile -- A boy trapped in the body of a girl, a girl who's lost the last two years of her life, and the slacker angel who did it to them via a literal misfile in the celestial bureaucracy. Part slice of life with race cars and schoolwork, part story about being transgender, part coming-of-age, and part fantasy with angels, demons, ghosts, and a hint of something dark going on in the background. This is one of my favorites, partly because the dialogue is hilarious.
    Speaking of Misfile, Building 12, an earlier comic made by the chap who wrote/drew Misfile is in the wayback archive in it's entirety (I've read it through twice, so I'm sure of it). It's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Whispri; 2020-07-07 at 01:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I recently finished rereading Octopus Pie, and it's still damn good. It's a New York slice-of-life comic with undertones of magical realism, following a woman and her circle of friends through their dysfunctional twenties and thirties. The humor is sharp, but more importantly, it has a strong sense of empathy, with even antagonistic and joke characters receiving an ordinary webcomic's share of characterization. I think the front page is going through the comic's run again.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorcery 101, and a few "short story" webcomics set in the same universe.

The author is still writing some stories (or was last time I checked) set in the same setting but several decades away from the first comic (Sorcery 101 itself.)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Recently completed addition to this list: Schlock Mercenary. After twenty years of daily updates with no breaks, this sci-fi mercenary saga is complete https://www.schlockmercenary.com
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2020-08-20 at 06:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Recently completed addition to this list: Schlock Mercenary. After many years of daily updates with no breaks, this sci-fi mercenary saga is complete https://www.schlockmercenary.com
    What impresses me of people who actually end their stories is how they give up a more-or-less certain livelihood, instead of Simpsonising.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    What impresses me of people who actually end their stories is how they give up a more-or-less certain livelihood, instead of Simpsonising.
    I wouldn't accuse Schlock Mercenary of Simpsonising. (That said, I'm not sure if you are).

19. - Top - End - #49

I wouldn't accuse Schlock Mercenary of Simpsonising. (That said, I'm not sure if you are).
    I'm not accusing it of it, I'm actually saying they aren't.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-08-20 at 06:10 AM.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Sorry about the misunderstanding!

21. - Top - End - #51

Ah. Sorry about the misunderstanding!
    No problem, I can see now how it could be read both ways.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

In case of the creator of Schlock Mercenary, I can bet he already has a solid work plan for the next years. For the whole run of the comics he delivered daily without missing even a single update. Only once there was a delay, when the servers cought fire and it took a few hours to set up a backup site.

Besides, the universe he created is vast enough, so that some other stories could fit into it as well.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

YU+ME: dream -- This is a weird one. Starts off as a fairly typical coming out story, until you hit about the halfway point, at which point... things go crazy. Switches plots, switches genres, switches what you though you knew. To quote Zero Punctuation: "If it's interesting and it's fun and it gives you something to talk about, then it can't be bad." (He was talking about Bioshock: Infinite, but the quote works well here, too).
    I absolutely hated that comic. It started out alright, but that mid-story twist is so massive, so out there, so far removed from the first half that it ruins the entire experience. This isn't a story with a twist; it's two completely separate (and incomplete) stories crudely stapled together, and it just ruined both.

If you want a lesbian love story with a twist that goes to weird places but is actually good, then read Girly (NSFW warning). That comic is amazing in every way and is far better than YU+ME.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

In the Sci-Fi/Comic Book/Super Heroes genre, It's Walky is now completely open to the public, with present-day commentary from the creator. Definitely an influential and fascinating comic, if a little outdated and goofy at times. Starts as a domestic college webcomic, becomes fate-of-the-world superhero stuff, then spins off back into domestic life because why not.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Raise Thread!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #56

I found one last month called Aubrey's Magic Nine. Not really a fan of how it ended (Big Bad does it, it's EVIL!, wizard guy who screwed everything up before does it, A-OK!), but it was fun.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually if you read the schlock mercenary thread here I think you'll find a lot of people think the comic should have ended ten years earlier, so it's impossible to avoid this.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Two of the webtoons I'm subscribed to just finished.

Rise From Ashes -- The living and the dead have coexisted for centuries; ghosts are used to power most technology, and the Red Crows hunt down and capture any ghosts that run amok. However, change is afoot; the rogue ghosts are banding together, getting organized, and they have big plans.... Meanwhile, a nameless little ghost who only wants to be left in peace is about to be dragged into the middle of it all.

The Sword Interval -- Fall Barros is done hiding from her problems. She'd much rather face them head-on as a hunter, tracking down monsters with shotgun and legendary weapon (a famous baseball bat) in hand while she tries to track down the one who killed her parents so many years ago. But why did he spare her in the first place? And why does he seem so pleased that she's finally come out of hiding? Fun Fact: this story is also the spiritual successor to Parallel Dementia.
    Optimization Trophies

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Actually if you read the schlock mercenary thread here I think you'll find a lot of people think the comic should have ended ten years earlier, so it's impossible to avoid this.
    Yeah, I'm in that camp. I read it for a decade, lost interest, and by the time it ended I would have had to reread it to understand the plot. And though I originally found Petey an exciting character, I'm no longer quite so friendly to the idea of a cuddly, godlike, nigh-infallible autocrat.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-01-13 at 11:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    My opinion is that the author itself got exhausted with making Schlock Mercenary at some point, which would explain rushed plotlines and a lot of telling instead of showing. He still pushed to finish the project without missing a single update ever, but it might have been better for him and the comics to slow down or take a break somewhen during the run of the webcomics. The fact that he started a lot of related side projects on top of the daily updates might also added to the overall production strain.

Some other finished webcomics:

No need for bushido - samurai, ninja a blind Taoist monk and a good blend between humor and action. Also very unusual onomatopoeia. It has a pretty shaky start, which is natural for many webcomics, but it grows very well. Very solid light reading.

Power Nap - trippy action comics, where dreams are more real than they ever should be. Great graphics style, interesting if sometimes confusing plot.

Battlepug - a tale of blood, drool, life-long revenge and cute puppies. If you like Conan-like heroics but do not mind some sprinkle of cuteness, this is a great comics.

Stick in the Mud - fun characters, unusual setting that might have led to epic storylines, but is interestingly laid-back instead. And it all starts with a bad breakup drowned in a seedy bottle of alcohol.