First off, I know Lycanthropes have been done to death.

But you see, I was running a campaign where werewolves had a pretty significant presence in the world. They weren't necessarily evil, but they had no problem solving problems with violence, and the other races hated them. This created a weird situation where I had to make werewolves appealing enough that people might consider playing as one, while also making sure there was some reason that the players that didn't want to play as a werewolf wouldn't be choosing an inferior option.

For this reason the MM rules obviously don't work, lycanthropy provides obvious and significant advantages, and the only disadvantage is that your character turns evil (which didn't apply to the werewolves of this world) and the GM might take control of your character (something I hate doing.)

The solution I came up with was to make lycanthropy a race, if one contracted lycanthropy one would lose all of one's racial bonuses and gain the racial bonuses of a lycanthrope

I thought about making some mechanical representation of the lycanthropes animalistic mind interfereing with one's choices, particularly among recently infected people. But I decide to leave it up to the player to RP it as much or as little as they want. Ultimately I prefer this, as if the player doesn't want to make a big deal of it, they don't have to.

I found this cool resource to make it look nice, hopefully this link works.