Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms OOC Thread II

I'm loving it, almonds. Thanks for being the campaign cartographer, both in and out of character!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Nice campaign journel. Sent a message to you so you can add me to the campaign to make Kuros’ bio page.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I'm loving it, almonds. Thanks for being the campaign cartographer, both in and out of character!
    Not a problem! It's enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    Nice campaign journel. Sent a message to you so you can add me to the campaign to make Kuros’ bio page.
    I've added you. Hopefully it goes through, I made my account on that site a while ago but never did anything with it.

Regarding the in-game situation itself: given how close we are to the Sootscale's caverns, maybe we should go with a slow march to avoid taking penalties to our foraging rolls? The hexes are twelve miles across and the Old Sycamore was on the closer end of the hex, since we're two miles out from there we have to be near or at the hex boundary already.
    Alternatively, we are currently surrounded by fifteen vultures. Three and Kuros can probably kill a few each before they're out of range, and, well, there is breakfast. Dunno about how it'll taste, but Ruk is a kobold, Dergosh is Dergosh, and Kuros was considering eating some worg in his last post. That doesn't do anything for fluids, but Create Water is a level 0 spell that Dergosh has access to so we're never really at risk of dehydration.

4. - Top - End - #244

OrcBarbarianGuy

Wow, almonds, that's a lot of nice work!

Do you want us to add/edit anything, or would you prefer to have editorial control? If you want us to add content, do you just have to add us?
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 16 T12 FF14| Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +6 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- blade of blood, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd- animalistic power, sonic weapon D, sound burst (DC 16 partial)
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Wow, almonds, that's a lot of nice work!

Do you want us to add/edit anything, or would you prefer to have editorial control? If you want us to add content, do you just have to add us?
    Thank you!

You guys can add or edit whatever you want! All I ask is that if you add a fact to an entry, you include a link to where that fact was stated. Just so we don't need to dig through threads later on to confirm it.
    And yeah, if you want to make edits, you need an account on the site and I need to invite it. There's probably a way to set the wiki to be editable by anyone, but I'd rather not active that in case a stranger finds it and decides to screw us for funsies. It's not particularly likely that someone would do that, but better safe than sorry.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quick question regarding the waterskins being depleted, Saint... that only applies to one waterskin, right? Because Korlann carries 3.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

7. - Top - End - #247
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

nice work almonds, i'll dig into that later in full :)

i have no spell selections to make, nor daily things to change up for now.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Was able to access the campaign pages on Obsidian. Wierd wrinkle though is that While I do have write/edit privileges on wiki pages, I can't actually edit the character pages for the party. I can add but not change existing ones.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    Was able to access the campaign pages on Obsidian. Wierd wrinkle though is that While I do have write/edit privileges on wiki pages, I can't actually edit the character pages for the party. I can add but not change existing ones.
    I looked into the issue, and it seems that while players can change the wiki, they can't edit each other's sheets. The fix seems easy enough, you now own Kuros' sheet and can make any changes you want.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Thought it might be a handy moment to cover a group of queries I'd left hanging, both IC and OOC:

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean
    i know it's been awhile, but i wanted to bring back into the light our previous discussion about me going into the War Mage PrC, which requires either some handwaving of required feats, or for me to buy/find some items that grant them. it's still a little ways off, it'll be still 2 more ranks of Warmage, and then down the road at 7th sand shaper, then finally into War Mage at 8th.

but i was thinking of it randomly the other day, so figure'd i'd ping you on it again :)
    I think the way I'd prefer this handled is via items that grant feats rather than waive the requirements entirely. I know this might be seen as being a bit tougher on the casters than on the martials in the party, but I've taken that line because ultimately I still have to balance things a bit. If you're going to want access to a class that isn't quite accessible without a bit of fudging, then I don't think it unreasonable that that access should be conditioned on items that might well be targetable or which allow you to do the things you do. Martials aren't exempt from this either: notice the way nonproficiency penalties can be trained off if you want to invest the time, but people aren't getting into Exotic Weapon Master without spending the feat ... or having some custom item that grants that feat, which is doable I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse
    Quick question regarding the waterskins being depleted, Saint... that only applies to one waterskin, right? Because Korlann carries 3.
    Let's make it two emptied skins just for this occasion, reason being Mikmek's weakened condition. Yes, kobolds don't have to eat or drink for days at a time, but this creature has been tortured to close on the point of death by his gremlin captors. That sort of situation just about requires some sort of water if only to fuel his slow resanguination following blood loss. And as said, given Dergosh can Create Water ... literally 8 gallons of the stuff per Orison ... you're not likely to run out of it. But yes, under normal circumstances it'd just be the one skin, not all three.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse
    Reinvesting essentia for the day, moving my one point from my Bluesteel Bracers soulmeld to my Sapphire Fist feat - I lose 1 point of damage overall, but get +1 damage and +1 DC on Stunning Fist attempts (would this apply to Pharaoh's Fist as well, BTW, since that's effectively an AoE Stunning Fist?).
    I see no reason why it wouldn't. Basically Pharaoh's Fist is "area effect stunning fist", so yep, you got no argument from me there.

If nobody's got anything else, we'll get going in the next day or so?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Actually, double post, because I forgot something:

Quote Originally Posted by almondsandrain
    Alternatively, we are currently surrounded by fifteen vultures. Three and Kuros can probably kill a few each before they're out of range, and, well, there is breakfast. Dunno about how it'll taste, but Ruk is a kobold, Dergosh is Dergosh, and Kuros was considering eating some worg in his last post.
    22 Kythorn
    In which the Company engages in Ye Noble Arte Of Non-Clay, Non-Pigeon, Non-Gunpowder-Based-Weaponry Shooting

We can handle those rolls by a series of rounds, mainly because the moment anyone starts shooting the vultures will be booking it as fast as possible. Vultures can move at 80 feet. I'm fiating it that the vultures win initiative no matter what because they're extremely cautious scavengers who, like crows, know a good deal about what bows and crossbows look like, and also know the sound of direct-damage spells getting cast.

So, 3 rounds. Assume full round actions can be taken and that you can coordinate a moment to start shooting amongst yourselves, since vultures might be smart, but they don't understand Common.

Round 1: all vultures move 80 feet and go on total defense. This gives them an AC 18, and the range of any shots is 80 feet. (Assume they touch down after each movement).
    Round 2: all vultures decide to really book it and perform the Run action. This means their AC is 14, and the range of any shots from the Company's campsite is 320 feet. Remember, range increments kick in at -2 for each increment.
    Round 3: vultures continue booking and jink and break for actual cover. AC is 14, and range of all shots from the Company's campsite is 560 feet. After this round assume they've all passed out of line of sight and line of effect.

1 vulture counts as enough food for 1 trail ration. 1 successful hit = kill shot.

Again, anybody can participate, or nobody. Over to you.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Alright! 3 arrows spent for 2 trail rations seems a worthy trade. Added the trail rations on Kuros’ sheet but anyone can ask for food when they need it.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Wow! Log looks great, Almonds!

Just caught up now, been pretty nonstop busy around here. Ruk doesn't have any ranged capability really, but he can give Kuros' pelt a Prestidigitation disinfecting.
    Onward to the SS?

Edit: Clear your messages, Saint!
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2020-10-26 at 06:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Argh, damn 100 message limit. Fixed now. Speak again, bright angel...

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the pelt cleaning Zombulian. Now we have a big sturdy camp blanket which is more useful than you'd think.

16. - Top - End - #256

OrcBarbarianGuy

Somehow I missed the OOC messages and therefore probably the turkey vulture shoot. No matter, we can assume Dergosh was busy training Ser Pig towards his first PrC level of War Swine. 1st level powers: Intimidating Grunt, Iron Stomach (all ingested poisons neutralized).
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 16 T12 FF14| Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +6 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- blade of blood, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd- animalistic power, sonic weapon D, sound burst (DC 16 partial)

Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

THE RUBBER DUCKY HAS ICE RAY VISION

...in other news, 24 hours more and we're moving on. Anything else you guys want or need to do before we set out for the Sootscale Caverns, speak up.

18. - Top - End - #258

THE RUBBER DUCKY HAS ICE RAY VISION
    But of course! One has to be prepared if negotiations with the Sootscale break down.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, when did the rubber ducky get ice ray vision?

And does this mean that when Three is a high enough level, she'll be making a rubber ducky that casts Polar Ray for her own use?
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse View Post
    Wait, when did the rubber ducky get ice ray vision?

And does this mean that when Three is a high enough level, she'll be making a rubber ducky that casts Polar Ray for her own use?
    This sounds like a hilarious way to trick someone into freezing themselves in their own bath water - so yes!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Any other votes or things you want to explore with the kobolds (or indeed anything else around)? At the moment it's looking like 2 votes for seeing the Chief, 1 for seeing Tartuk, and one for seeing them together (if possible).

22. - Top - End - #262
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

seeing ruks wisdom, i'll change my vote to see them both together :)

i'll ready an action for charm person however :p
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

23. - Top - End - #263

Any other votes or things you want to explore with the kobolds (or indeed anything else around)? At the moment it's looking like 2 votes for seeing the Chief, 1 for seeing Tartuk, and one for seeing them together (if possible).
    Three wasn't really treating the opinion she gave as a vote so much as just advice she was giving to Ruk - it's up to him whether he decides to go with it or not, and he wants to meet with both of them. So by my count, we're at one for meeting with the chief (Korlann), two for meeting both (Ruk, Akara), two for whatever Ruk wants to do (Kuros, Three), and one for whatever Three wants to do (Dergosh).

So, out of character and based off of how little information is available to us, how do you guys think this is going to go? I'm hoping that we can resolve this with minimal killing, but I'm getting the feeling there is a non-zero chance of us wiping out most of the Sootscale. Their apparent relationship with a horned devil (CR16, should not engage this if it's actually here), that Marmuk said that Tartuk sent out the six warriors that didn't like him and that Marmuk was the only survivor, the fact that the six were apparently a huge amount of the remaining Sootscale, and that Ruk's status as a blessed one apparently threatens Tartuk's control of the tribe, are all painting a nasty picture. Namely, that if we have to fight Tartuk, we will have to exterminate a lot of his supporters. Depending on whether the chief has actually drank the kool-aid or not, this may include him.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

We will have to see how deep the corruption runs before we can root it out. But if Marmuk survived the trip back he will support us, we also have Mikmek who we saved from the Gremlins. Other bonuses we have going for us is that we killed their enemies, and that we returned with their idol (which depending on how things go we can expose as not being related to Tiamat or dragons in general).

25. - Top - End - #265

OrcBarbarianGuy

If Tartuk has effectively displaced the king, then we need to kill him first. The king will then either fall into place or we take him out too and All Hail King Ruk the First.

Either way, though, what are we planning on doing with chaotic evil allies?

Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC, I agree that this is likely going to involve a fight of some sort, and that dealing with Tartuk first is probably the correct move here. (Especially since a show of force in dealing with him would likely make the Chief and any others who are neutral or supporting him less likely to cause us problems in the future, in the vein of 'if they took out Tartuk, what chance do we have?'.)

From an in-character standpoint... Korlann is not unaware that meeting the Chief first has downsides, such as losing any possible element of surprise against Tartuk. However, even if Tartuk is nominally in charge of things, this is - at least in part - something of a diplomatic visit. We are, in effect, foreign dignitaries. So, there is an expectation on both ends here.

If we refuse to speak with the Chief first, and instead speak with Tartuk, that is indicating that we see Tartuk as the rightful ruler of the Sootscale Clan, regardless of the position of Chief or who is holding said position - something that, I would expect, would be treated as a grevious insult by most rulers regardless of the circumstances. Korlann would not want to consider this option at all, but understands that he doesn't know Kobold culture, and as such defers to the resident expert.

Suggesting to this initial guard that we meet with both the Chief and Tartuk at the same time would still be an insult, as we are suggesting that either the Chief is not capable of making important diplomatic decisions himself, or that Tartuk is of equal status - regardless of any personal opinions, this is disrespecting the position of leadership that the Chief holds as well.

The ideal solution, as Korlann sees it, is to meet with the Chief, and allow him to decide whether or not Tartuk should be involved in the meeting - and use that meeting to gauge the relative strength of our positions. If the Chief brings Tartuk in, that suggests that they may be cooperating on some level, or that the Chief might be unaware of Tartuk's dalliances with devils. In either case, getting Tartuk into an initially non-violent meeting with us would be ideal - if he does opt to escalate matters to violence, then we can make sure we've got fairly solid positions within the room.

If the Chief doesn't ask Tartuk to be brought to the meeting, but Tartuk shows up anyway, this will tell us whether the Chief is a strong leader or not - if the Chief pushes back at all against Tartuk, it means he's got some spine, and it would be worth supporting him against Tartuk. If the Chief doesn't, and lets Tartuk do what he wants, that in turn tells us that the Chief isn't a strong leader - we'll still deal with Tartuk, but then we can assume defacto control of the Sootscale, essentially browbeating the Chief to serve as a proxy for Ruk.

And if Tartuk doesn't intervene in that meeting at all, then it becomes a matter of whether the Chief acts against him once we explain the idol, asks us to act against him (possibly to avoid a civil war within the already weakened Sootscale that could wipe them out), or leaves us to do as we will regarding the matter.

In the end, as far as Korlann's concerned, Ruk is the one who will make the final decision, as these are his people - Korlann recognizes that in this situation, Ruk would be the primary diplomat, with the rest of us serving as a retinue of advisors/bodyguards fitting for a Blessed One. Korlann may bring up these matters after the fact, though, as it would be things to keep in mind if/when we take actual rulership over the Greenbelt.

And as for what we plan on doing with Chaotic Evil allies... we do have a bandit stronghold to assault in the future, and having allies that are good at tunneling/traps wouldn't be a bad thing for that.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Well, given the state of the votes it looks like it's actually up to Ruk given most of the votes more or less replicate Ruk or sort-of flow to him anyway. So I think it's now time for Ruk to say something to the two squabbling kobolds in front of him and decide which way you're going with this.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Blues makes a good case for meeting the chief, if Korlann expresses that to Ruk I think he’d agree.
    By the way, devils are Lawful, so we’re talking about having LE allies, which seems a lot more appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Fair enough, Ruk - Korlann has spoken at least a good chunk of his thoughts there, though not all. (After all, offering a detailed political analysis of possible rivals in front of their subordinates is simply not how a proper Skarn should conduct themselves... at least we'd want to step out of their hearing before discussing that.)
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Also, guys, I was trying to figure out some ways of speeding up combat thus rendering it a little more immediate and intense, while still giving people enough time to fit in RL and respond. So there's something I'd like to try if (if? Haha. If.) when the next fight comes along: shared initiative and a time limit on responses with a default action in combat in lieu of a response.

At the moment I still roll initiative automatically for everyone at the outset of combat which saves some time, but I don't think anyone would disagree that sometimes combat's gotten held up because one person's got RL issues. I am not pointing at anyone on this, I think over time all of us (including me) have had stuff going on. This is just my thinking on trying to improve stuff, which I always am trying to do...

Shared initiative is basically this: I still roll initiative for everyone. However, on gathering all the initiative counts, people then get grouped up: those who got higher initiative than the monsters, and those who got lower initiative than the monsters. So after rolling an initiative, the most complex initiative order possible might look like this:

- Dergosh, Ruk, and Akara
    - Ugly Snot Monster
    - Three, Korlann, and Kuros

Dergosh, Ruk, and Akara get 48 hours from time of my post to respond, or if they all get in before the deadline, no problem, it's updated on that basis. They don't have to post in order, and actions are resolved in the order people posted up. Then Snot Monster gets his turn - and I post as quickly as I reasonably can remembering I have to crunch numbers and generally put an updated map up - and then we do the same thing for Three, Korlann, and Kuros. Same 48 hour deadline. Same freedom to post out of order. If someone doesn't post within the deadline, they maintain current position and go on total defense for that round.

The delay action can be used one of two ways: interrupt the monster's action, or flip from the group acting before the monster to acting after the monster does.

Full-round spells I think I'd adjudicate by saying that if you start casting in the first round, the spell goes off and is resolved last in your initiative's group on the next.

(Another more complicated possibility for dealing with late posts is that if you're acting ahead of the monster and you don't post within the 48 hour deadline, you automatically delay until the monster gets his turn, i.e. you flip into the group acting after the monster and the 48 hour clock starts again. If you're acting after the monster and you miss the deadline, you maintain current position and go on total defense for the round. This way people who wound up with a higher initiative count have one more chance at getting an action in for the round, and those who wound up with a lower initiative count have the benefit of a couple more days to gather their thoughts.)

As said that's the most complex initiative scenario that can really come up. I'd be hoping that more often than not that everyone ends up in front of or behind the monsters' initiative.

What do you guys think? Is it worth a try? Is a 48 hour deadline too short? Again, this is reserved only for combat, not for other time.