New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Arcane archer starting Myrmidarch(Pathfinder)

Hi all, just wondering if you could give me some hints on which are the best chioces for making a good Arcane Archer.
    I am playing pathfinder. I am already Elf Myrmidarch 4 with : Point-Blank Shot and Weapon Focus (longbow).
    Ty in advance.
    Last edited by testol; 2020-04-06 at 02:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Arcane archer starting Magus(Pathfinder)

Don't go Arcane Archer, instead ask if you could retrain the character and apply the Eldritch Archer archetype. If you're really set on the prestige class, you'll face the problem of a rather high +6 BAB for entry, which means either multiclassing (losing spellcasting and Magus abilities) or waiting until you've hit Magus 8, at which point I feel you're so deep down the Magus rabbit hole you'd need a really good reason not to continue it. In any case, I'd seriously consider not taking more than four levels of Arcane Archer, which would allow up to +16 BAB if you ever hit level 20. Of course after this proposed 8/4 combination you're level 12 overall, so I'd say it's all coming online rather late and beyond the Imbue Arrow ability, Arcane Archer doesn't add a whole lot that a Magus can't already do and even there you could argue that Ranged Spellcombat is similar if not just superior.
    So why go Eldritch Archer instead? Everything is online much earlier, for starters. You shoot and you cast spells, but mind you, you don't need to use and offensive spell every round to shoot an additional arrow (which would be less accurate than a ranged touch attack anyhow), a spell could also mean shooting your allotment of arrows, casting Invisibility and stepping away a bit, before you then use your newly-gained invisibility to reposition in relative safety and attack with an advantage next time. The point being, I'd argue while an Arcane Archer can be an okay gish, it seems more focused on being a caster who shoots the odd arrow and does some fancy tricks with normally short-ish range spells imbued onto arrows than being a proper gish who not only has, but also uses the martial aspect a lot.
    Last edited by Arkain; 2020-04-06 at 01:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Arcane archer starting Magus(Pathfinder)

Quote Originally Posted by testol View Post
    Hi all, just wondering if you could give me some hints on which are the best chioces for making a good Arcane Archer.
    Yes, don't go Arcane Archer but stick to straight Magus. The class features are much better and you don't lose your spellcasting that way.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Arcane archer starting Myrmidarch(Pathfinder)

ok thanks, i'll see what to do then