New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Skull & Shackles IC II

"Come in!" Catrina calls. She frowns a little at the appearance of Lanteri in her doorway, but waits until the ex-captain enters. She looks up from her gun- she's still wiping it, though it's now almost polished to gleaming in the ruddy evening light that filters through the windows and flickering of oil lamps. Silently, Catrina watches as Lanteri offers food and the opportunity for company.

For a long few moments, she weighs her options, debating between the suspicion that Lanteri is trying to drive the wedge further between captain and crew, and the possibility that this overture is nothing more than it appears to be. Life's too short to be this worried all the time, Finally, easing her concerned scowl with visible effort, she lets out a sigh. "Please, have a seat."

"You're not wrong, of course- in either case," Catrina begins, as she reaches for a filet of some sort of ocean fish. She chews slowly, savoring the simple but pleasant flavors.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina

Lanteri doesn't hesitate to take a seat at the table, getting out the second plate and loading it up with a smaller portion for herself. She waits for you to take the first bite before following suit, letting out a little pleasurable noise as she bites into a bit of pineapple. She then reaches for two glasses and pours two fingers into her own cup, before leaning over and raising an eyebrow in implicit invitation.

"I have a pretty good idea what you're thinking," she says after a moment's silence. "You're likely wondering if this is a ploy, a trick wherein I set myself between you and your crew. And it is; at least, in a manner of speaking. I believe that a captain should stand apart from those she sails with, lest they confuse familiarity with equality."

"Look, I'm under no illusions about my place here, but what I saw today would prove to anybody that you're still new to command. That is understandable - everyone starts somewhere - but it seems to me that you could use some counsel in the captaincy racket. Mutiny aside, I did successfully run a crew for several years, so I would offer myself for consideration."
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina accepts Lanteri's offer of wine silently, tightening up further as she scrutinizes the other woman's every action with a stony expression. A hint of a smirk flickers past her lips as the more experienced woman gives voice to almost her exact thoughts. She furrows her thin brows at mention of familiarity and equality, nodding as she wrestles with the implications.

"Tell me," Catrina finally responds. "Do you prefer I call you Varossa or Lanteri?" She smiles impishly as she begins to relax, well aware that she's delaying the relevant discussions.

She nods slowly at her unlikely companion's response, whatever it is, before continuing. "It has occurred to me that we have much more in common than not," the young captain comments. "Given the ultimate conclusion of your captaincy, I will freely admit that the thought is more than a little concerning." Her expression runs the gamut through distracted thought to mischievous jibes, and finally settles on something downright friendly.

"Would you believe I'd already strongly considered it? I'm somewhat amused by the offer, not because it's unwelcome, but because it's almost too welcome.
    If you had a wizard in your employ, I'd fear enchantment to read my thoughts. Besmara knows I could use a trustworthy advisor.
    " She chuckles quietly, for a moment, before taking on a rueful frown.

"For what it's worth, I feel like I should apologize for that whole thing in the Godspit. Honestly, I wasn't trying to discredit you so much as I was letting my own distrust flow. I was ready to cast the whole venture aside until Lodan convinced me to reconsider. "

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina

"I'm known as Lanteri to most, but in truth that's been my husband's name longer than it has been mine. You can just call me Varossa." The raven-haired woman across from you lets out a little laugh that sounds remarkably similar to yours. "I can hardly be offended at a little bit of aggressive negotiations, or even outright reluctance on your part to work with me. Believe me, I've heard the little stories they tell about Captain Lanteri all over these islands."

Varossa takes her first proper gulp of the wine, taking her time and savoring it as the liquid goes down. Her gaze is pale in this light, smoky eyes nearly translucent. Up this close, you think that they might actually glow slightly, but it disappears after a moment not to be seen again. Her smile is waning now too. "Well, the first thing I'd do is tell you not to trust anyone at all, least of all me. Counting on anyone to act in accordance to anything but their own desires is like steering a ship while wearing a blindfold."

She places the glass down with a quiet clink. "Take your nagaji fellow, Fury. I wasn't in the room when you spoke to him, but I'd hazard a guess that once you learned what had happened, you told him in so many words how f*cking stupid he was for assaulting his crewmate. Then he gave you a look that amounted to something less than contrite. In that moment, I'd imagine that you felt his anger, disdain, pride... all showing a difference to the authority that you sacrificed so much to acquire. Am I wrong?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-22 at 11:52 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina frowns, trying to remember past the still-stinging welts on her back to the quieter tension of her conversation. "You're on the right track, but I think there's at least a few important points. I don't think he thought he did anything wrong. I don't rightly know what to make of him, and it's moments like this that make me wonder if he's more trouble than he's worth. Truth be told, he could likelier than not rip my arms off and beat me to death with them if he ever put his mind to it. Kinda wonder why he hasn't already, actually." She purses her lips, debating how much she wants to share.

"Well, it'll work out or it won't- no sense pussyfooting around. I think, more than anything else, he wants a place to belong. If he wanted to lead, he'd do it- by force. He doesn't-" she takes a moment to gesture awkwardly to her own arms- still securely attached to her torso, as evidence- "so the best I can figure, I have to help him fit in. I kinda figure two possibilities there. First, I can let him get away with murder- maybe literally. I don't see a crew lasting real long together, doing that. Second, I can show him how to belong- maybe uhhh, you know... start by teaching him to not kill the people on his side? Maybe why to not kill 'em?" She let's out a snorting laugh, shaking her head at the absurdity.

"That's what this was all about, you see. Honest to Besmara, if I can win Hiss over, I figure I can find another crew..." Her eyes widen as her gaze rises from her glass to meet Varossa's. "Well, sh*t. How close am I to telling the story of your artillerist?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina

Varossa lets out a deep throaty chuckle at the conclusions that you draw. "Oh, I don't imagine that your Hiss thought he did anything wrong either. His defiance in front of the others made that much quite plain. He refused to acknowledge that his actions, had you not intervened, would have led to an outcome that he would have held you responsible for reversing. And in doing so, he questioned what kind of captain you were, if you didn't seek retribution for the offense."

Enjoying a few more mouthfuls of her food, your dining companion stares out the back windows of the ship at the last evening light playing on the water.

"I think it's safe to say that Hiss and Vance Creed have enough in common," she says when her mouth is clear of obstruction. "I learned early on that managing people like that requires not only being firm, but possessing a sort of warped set of principles. Like it or not, everyone has their own north star, an idea that shapes their code of behaviour. You will need to find your man's if you want to anticipate when he might resist you."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-23 at 02:36 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Before

"And the sock too! Was thinkin the mutt could getcher saw, 'lest he go and mistake that which you keep 'twixt yer legs fer naked variety of the vermin just named. Though I'd not think ya need worry it on it. Pooch needs meat on his bones, not scraps." Kana made sure to catch his eye and then winked before giving the First Mate's toe a pinch so as to test for swellings. "Mm. As I've feared. You've a touch of the idiocies about you. Chronic, it would appear. Lucky fer you, I knows just the cure. I think." She snuck her hand away from the foot and retrieved one of the gems from the spire. "Plunder fer soothing over sour feelings, though I aint the tongue for making a victory of it to the crew like you might." She took out the rest of the loot and spilled it to the deck, then set the comb down with a little bit of reluctance."That odd bottle there smacks of trickeries. Should gets Blue to appraise it after her and the big fella' are done gabbin." She let some healing flow from herself into the foot.

Kana sat back on her rump and gave the dog a few good scritches behind the ear. She turned her head so that first one side, then the other was in profile to Taner. "I got any blood comin' out me ears?" Without waiting for an answer, she unclinched a bottle of Sea Lords wine from her belt and half-rolled it over to the man opposite her. She wrapped the side of her head with a few knuckles "I aint hearing things wrong right, Kroop's full of it about whippins gettin' served out while I was gone, aint he? That or he's soaked to the bone on me hooch." Her other hand scratched at where the scar across her tummy was. She let the bottle keep on a-rolling over.

The helmswoman scrunched her knees up close and peered over them for a moment before letting her eyes follow the strongest smell of blood in the air. "OI, Ms. Nyria! Getcher yerself a swab crew and get out the red parts of yerself what was gone and left on the deck by Fureyon. And everywheres else, now'at I've time to think on it. I'd have not have the deck bloodied, not by bird womens spewing false promise nor by the hands of a crew turned against itself."

Kana turned her head back to Lodan, perhaps a bit surprised at the volume that she was able to conjure despite how she sat. "Y'alright?"

Now

Right then. Airs aired'n dealt with for better or worse, she made her way to behind the wheel. Kana unslung her quarterstaff and capped her free hand over her eyes. She squinted at the horizon, questing for the sun with a decidedly predatory look that also took in most of the crew. "AWRIGHT! WHICH ONE OF YOUS MOST LAND-LUBBEREST OF TAINT-EELs IS GONNA SEE FIT TO REGALE ME WITH A SHANTY, MM?"

Fleabag's arfing filled the silence as he made another crazed loop about the deck.

"THE F*CK BE THIS SILENCE THATS BECALMED YE? ONLY THE DEAD AND DROWNING ARE SILENT, COME, FILL THE AIR WITH BETTER SONG!" Nothing. "Fine then." Kana inhaled. "OHHHHHHHH-" She twisted the ships wheel and jammed her quarterstaff in one of the spokes to hold the contraption in place. All in all Kana imagined it a remarkably fluid gesture. She flared her nostrils a bit, daring anyone to interupt her. Tunelessly, and with as much volume as she could muster, Kana began to sing.

Is of a shaman's daughter enslaved from down below
    Hurrah, me yaller girls, doodle let me go
    She took me in the parlour and said, “Yer gon' t'be me girl”
    Hurrah, me yaller girls, doodle let me go
    Oh, doodle let me go, me girls, doodle let me go

Oh, all around the sofa, lads, and wasn't it a go
    And about the hour of twelve o'clock, her own man, he come home

As I was out a-walking down by the riverside
    It was there I seen this pretty lad a-swimming in the tide

As I was out a-walking all in the bright moonlight
    It was there I seen this man a-swimming and 'is eyes, they shone so bright

I wish I was in Madame Gashay's, found way down south, lets go!
    Where the girls munch on yer c*ck so much, they never let it go

We'll cast a line 'round Madame Gashay's and take the house in tow
    Hurrah, me yaller girls, doodle let me go-

As wind caught the sails and they took off, Kana kept singing, moving her head in exactly the wrong time with the words and tune of the song.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Obligatory perform roll (but this time with Guidance!) (1d20)[13]
    Last edited by n0ble; 2020-05-28 at 05:13 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Gallows for the Godless

The Wyrmborn's course brings you all around the point of Besmara's Throne and across the deepest channel of the Shackles in a timely manner. By the time the large island is disappearing in your horizon, you've lost all but the most scant of daylight, and before long the ship is plunged into night, with only the moon and stars to guide your way. Many are taking their respite now, making the most of the time you can out in the open ocean before reaching the marker of the first piece on your map. Dinner, for once a palatable thing, is served with some rum and near all but those needed to pilot the ship are asleep before long.

Only one disturbance threatens your slumber: not two hours out from Besmara's Throne, the rumble of what sounds at first like distant thunder can be heard over the waves. However, there is no rain or storm, nor clouds of any kind in point of fact. A quick assessment from the crow's nest reveals the lights of two vessels to the north - both cutting near due west - one in pursuit of the other. In this level of light telling their colors is an impossibility, but there aren't too many navies in the Inner Sea with the resources to equip their vessels with full complements of shot and black powder. For all that, the sound soon subsides as the ships are too engrossed in their own tasks to register your position on the waves and before long they are out of both sight and earshot.

Eventually, the horizon darkens with the promise of land. However, Lanteri approaches the helm before too long and voices the advise to weigh anchor a bit farther out, as she's heard of shoals in the area that can sink sailors who approach under the cover of darkness. She stands with Hinsom and Creed, both looking out at the jagged and uncertain shoreline. "Well," she says of the ship's officers, "according to my charts, I reckon that we have arrived at our destination. Unfortunately, there is hardly much if anything to see in these conditions. Should we weigh anchor and go in the morning, or press our luck now?"

Show
    At this point, it's about 1 am in the morning. Assuming you've slept, you can consider yourself well-rested enough to regain spells. You can all decide how you plan on approaching the Gallows now that you're here.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina looks out into the darkness with a sour expression. Her six-round pistol gleams gently in the torchlight on deck, cleaned somewhat beyond any reasonable need. She purses her lips thoughtfully for a moment before responding. "Without knowing what to expect ashore, I don't see any purpose to adding darkness to our list of concerns. We'll drop anchor here and approach the island at first light. Let the crew sleep, for now."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Earlier

Lodan grits his teeth. "Of course I'm alright," he answers, his tone making clear he's neither alright nor he will address the subject further.

He stands up and takes a couple steps away, then stops and looks back to Kana, over his shoulder. For an instant it looks he's not going to say anything more. "Really, it's easy for you," he adds in spite.

Now

"I'm well rested enough, and maybe others are too. I can lead a small party of volunteers ashore and wait for you there. I'd rather have a few of us already landed, in case those Besmara creeps don't want to let us unwashed sinners into their sacred turf."

Lodan's nostrils wriggle as he sniffs the night air. "And I can't sleep anyways," he adds, the conversational tinge in his tone sounding too forced.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina's thoughtful expression turns just a hair more sour. After a prolong silence, she shakes her head. "I'm inclined to let you go, and go alongside, but no. Not tonight. Unless you've got proof that pair of ships we saw a few hours ago won't be showing up to broadside us in the next few hours, I can't afford to have you and half the crew ashore without better visibility, at least."

Her eyes take on a flinty expression. "As busy as they were, we'd be fool to assume that nobody saw us as clear as we saw them, and it might all have been a ploy to get us to let our guard down in the first place. It's what I'd do, if I had access to two ships."

She offers Lodan a rueful shrug. "You may be right; the landing may be worse for the delay, but I'll not risk the entire ship and crew over that thought. If we have to run or fight greater numbers, we're better off all together."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Then

Something in the cadence of the First Mate's words drudged at old, unpleasant memories. Kana face fell into a blank stare that she kept pointed down and at the deck, a look of practiced vacancy and deferral to her eyes. A strong southwesterly picked up and she felt the trickle of the air's passing coolness against her skin. Would have had to have been a strong one to cross the Wailing Cave's beaches. Would that the Sahaugin coast had devoured it and all the ill omens it carried. She drew her legs and arms around herself, as though to shield at the dark turn of her thoughts. Sailing in f*cking circles. Thats all we do.

Kana blinked and let in the cool air.

The helmswoman shivered and exhaled into a sigh, then braced herself against the quaterstaff and righted herself upwards. The dog nipped then bit then chomped and pulled at the stick. She looked from where the breeze had passed to the dog, the same vacant stare in her eyes. Mirthlessly wrenched her quaterstaff from the play. "Go away". Kana slung her quarterstaff over her back, then fixed Tanner with a look caught halfway between becalmed and melancholic. She gave her head a few furtive shakes by way of answering, then set herself towards wordlessly stalking for the helm. The bottle was left where it was, rolling on with a nudge from the dog's snout.

Now

What sleep there had been to be had had come on fitful and tempestuous, and Kana found herself awaking to an air temperature not dissimilar to the cursed wind what had blown away her courage earlier in the day. Rest and weighing anchor had gone aways to restoring it full-well, near full-and as she rose the helmswoman greeted the cold like any other night on the water: with a great deal of cursing and a few bottles of hooch liberated from her stash. After securing a tepache or four for herself, Kana gave her shoulders a good roll and took a hale breath of sea-air in, noting that it had returned to the temperature she had been expected. Need to find meself a good blanket...She ambled up top to where the others were.

Kana braced her good hand on her hip and squinted at the coastline. She shrugged, then let the fingers of her bad hand flit over the eagle feather on her necklace. "M'inclined to agree on waitin', though maybe we should hold to our anchor somewhere less open than these waters, just'n case one'o them prowlers decides to come back this way. Dont want to get squashed between them and whatever the yonder land we're setting to march on holds." Kana carefully took out a mason's jar of tepahce and tapped it's waxseal against the top of her quaterstaff until it broke. She took a hearty swig of the drink and then gave her lips a good smack to drive away a bit of the sweetness that assaulted her tongue. "How longs it gonna take to find this thing once we put boots to shore? Come day I'm of the mind we need to stow the ship somewheres close enough to bushwack outta here quick but away from the eyes of other vessels."
    Last edited by n0ble; 2020-06-01 at 11:03 AM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh drags her eyes open, picks herself up, and heads out to the ship's deck to see what's going on. She's been dreaming, the last day's events playing out again between shades and shadows speaking languages she certainly doesn't know, but also certainly has no problem understanding. She can see roughness just beyond the horizon, but she's powerless to stop it. Powerless to even warn the others, though she tries her best. It's tempting to stay that way, asleep and comfortable in the knowledge that there's nothing she can do, but instead she forces herself back into the present.

She finds her way to where the others are meeting, a little late for the beginning of the conversation, but hopefully not too late to see what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: 3SC's Skull & Shackles II

Fueryon Blackscale - Sea Dog

Fury had slept in the crow’s best again, awakening when he heard some commotion below. Rested, he rose and peered into the darkness, scanning the horizon. Climbing down, he joined the others and stood silently in the back. He didn’t care if they went now or later - the night held no terrors for him. Instead he was curious as to how things played out between the group after the events of yesterday.

Fury doesn’t have anything to add ... he can see at night, but isn’t going to disturb the dynamic right now.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 51 AC: 17 CMB/D: +10/21
    F +6 R +3 W +2 Initiative +2
    Perception +10; Climb +12; Swim +13; Intimidate +17; Rage 14/14 rounds
    Equipment: +1 longspear (+11, 1d8+7)
    Effects: n/a
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Lodan replies to Catrina's shrug with another. "Well, your arguments make sense, I admit. I guess I don't feel like waiting, too itchy to stay put."

"In the end, you're the captain, Captain Red," he adds, for once seriously.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

In the dim light on deck, it looks like Catrina relaxes just a little bit. It's hard to be sure, and she isn't look tense before, but when Lodan agrees, an energy that was almost impossible to perceive a moment before dissipates. She nods, simply, before adding. "I don't want to, either, but it's for the best. Try to relax for a few more hours, at least..."

She turns to Kana. "Good work tonight. You can rest now, too. I'll take the helm until it's time to get moving again."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Your decision now made, the night crew of the Wyrmborn begin to bring the ship about according to Kana's guidance. Those with the ability to see at night spot the edges of the rocks, and are able to push the ship into a somewhat more sheltered inlet on the shore not too far away from the rocks. By the time the call comes up that you're about as close to land as you can get, the moonlight off of the waves is obscured by shore on three sides of the vessel. The chain tumbles through the water, and the familiar grinding noise of the anchor finding purchase in between the sand and rocks at the bottom of the bay reverberates through the main deck. You are safe for the evening.

Dawn breaks coolly, with a bit of cloud cover and wind coming in from the north-west. Although there was no rain to speak of, beads of chilly dew cling to the ropes and planks of the Wyrmborn. You'll have the sun for hours yet, but this is a day that promises a bit more than calm in the way of weather. For all that though, daybreak has lifted the pall over your surroundings, allowing you to fully appreciate the sight of Blackwarn's Gallows.

Rocky islets and a massive stone arch jut out of the ocean, causing the waters to churn and foam. The arch is taller than your ship's mast, and would clearly be visible from the wider shipping lanes that pass by these isles. Thick chains hang from the arch, and corpses dangle several body-lengths from the top. You spy even more bodies in the sand around the arch, arrayed in such a manner that their purpose here as nautical scarecrows cannot be questioned. The island coast is only a short row from the arch, but only a few small stretches of golden beach are accessible along the rocky shoreline. A small cave is visible on the shoreline; the ocean water flows freely in and out of it.

"There it is," Lanteri says, the mate and her contingent arriving on deck not long after breakfast is served. "Rahil Harkalm's last resting place. The Besmarans weren't too happy with him when he went raiding their temples. Rahadoumi to a fault, that one. I reckon that he's one of those left swinging under that arch. With any luck, the horn fragment is still on his person right where Warvil said it would be."

Spoiler: Perception DC 22
    Show
    Those of you with especially keen eyesight notice something strange: a glint of something reflective on the eastern horizon. It flashes once, twice, then is gone.

Show
    The Roll20 map is now up for Blackwarn's Gallows, if you want to take a look at the place! I'm going to leave it up to you all once more how you want to proceed here. Your ship obviously can't get in that close, but you have 2 ship's boats that you can equip with people to get in and find the piece of the horn.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-04 at 08:30 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh looks out at the island, memories of grindylows popping unbidden into her head. Her eyes dart around, scanning the rest of the horizon for anything suspicious. In her opinion, (fortune and misfortune being her bread and butter,) saying the name of chance aloud as Lanteri just has is a surefire way to find yourself abandoned by it. While she sees nothing, the rising sun reflecting off the water and into her eyes in a most unpleasant way, it does little to put her at ease.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+11)[13]
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2020-06-04 at 08:15 AM.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina frowns, eyeing the corpses warily. "Well, we've got our work cut out for us, then. I figure we'll make landfall, bringing most of the crew- obviously strength of arms could be the difference between life and death on this rock." Her eyes scan the shoreline- for just a moment, she thinks she's spotted something, but the early morning sun reflecting off the chains and breakwater must be playing with her eyes.

She points to the dangling corpses. "One of us will have to climb up there and cut them down, unless someone's a good enough shot to play robin hood with it."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Lodan spent the night on the sterncastle, staring at the sky, drifting in and out of consciousness. Whenever dawn comes, not feeling any rested, he drags himself behind Lanteri.

He watches the arch, the corpses reminding him of rotten fish caught on the lines of an unlucky fisher. "A glorious sight to start a glorious day of pirating work."

He then turns back to Lanteri, raising an eyebrow. "Don't know why, I imagined the man living here like a half-mad hermit or something. Those guys," he goes on with his thumb indicating behind his shoulder, towards the hanged men, "look pretty ripe. How do you plan telling our man apart? Any tatoo or distinctive scar?"

Show
    Sleepless night? Fort - (1d20+1)[16] vs. DC 15

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Fury was standing tall in the crow's nest come daybreak. He had stood watch for the last few hours before the sun rose, finding something comforting in the darkness before the dawn. He had watched for signs of any ships from the open ocean, knowing the best way to catch a pirate was to find him sleeping at anchor. The moonlight made it easy to watch for anything swimming up or moving in from the shore, as well. When the others began to rouse and gather on the deck, he climbed down to join the Captain and others. As he descended, he caught sight of something, pausing mid-climb before sliding most of the way down.

Stalking forward, he moved to stand by the Captain's left side, leaning in to hiss, "Glintsss at sssea ... eassst. Twiccce ..." His eyes flickered to Lanteri, a clear question in his eyes. Had she mentioned anything to anyone before? Every pirate worth its salt knew the best way to grab a major haul was to steal it from those that fought for it first.

He may not be a diplomat, but he has eyessss!
    Show
    HPs: 51 AC: 17 CMB/D: +10/21

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

It is not Lanteri who replies to Lodan's question, but rather Jasper Hinsom. Shaking his sandy blond hair out of his face, the sea singer slaps his left leg with a grin on his face. "The way I heard it, this wasn't the first time that Harkalm got himself deep in with the sharks. The man had a peg leg, surely that's where he stashed the piece." Noting the deepening circles under the first mate's eyes, the other man walks over to clap him gently on the arm.

Meanwhile, the grey-eyed Varossa seems to have heard Fury's warning, as she too surveys the horizon to the east with a narrowed gaze. She doesn't say anything to the implied accusation, and in fact doesn't seem to look or speak to the nagaji at all after she sees him clambering down the main mast. Creed gives the sea dog a dark look, but seems to think better of pursuing the matter further.

"That may very well be a spyglass," she says after a moment's consideration of the water. "An intelligent pursuer would drop anchor with the body of their ship below the horizon line and pull in their sails, that way there's no silhouette to see. They would also place a scout up in the crow's nest with a glass to check on us periodically. That's what I would do if I were aiming to ambush some prey."

"Don't know about ye," comes the husky, still-slurred voice of Ambrose 'Fishguts' Kroop from behind you all, "but I've not much stomach for bein' prey. If we go ashore, we're puttin' ourselves at awful risk of bein' caught between ship and shoal. What's our plan then, cap'n?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-04 at 05:38 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Catrina grunts at Hiss' comment, frowning sourly. "I do, on occasion, hate being right."

She looks Eastward for a long few moments, shaking her head as the source of the glints refuses to show itself again. "Well, it's not a not a noblewoman's vanity," she mutters, having come to the same conclusion as Lanteri. "I hear ya, Kroop. I'm of the same mind."

She eyes the cook with a wicked gleam. "Bait, however, might just be another matter..."

Show
    So I see the map, but am still not quite clear on the details. I'd really like to find a way to stage an ambush on the would-be-ambushers. I've got a few thoughts in mind:

1: Send a raiding crew "away" in a skiff, either near the rocky shores where they would be able to sneakily board a ship approaching from the east.
    2: Send only one or two people away in the skiff, with everyone else except Hiss going belowdecks. Hiss goes up top to watch for incoming, and we prepare to ambush any would-be boarders.
    3: Weigh anchor and sail out to meet them- give our recently-acquired artillerist some exercise.
    4: Try to make quick work of the retrieval, and be back onboard before a ship could travel from the horizon to attacking distance.

Any thoughts?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana gave the glinting that was adding to her headache a good stare, then yawned and stretched up onto the balls of her feet until her back cracked with a nice popping sound "Huh. Might be that shiny in the distance is a spyglas-" People started talking over her and Kana clammed up to munch on whatever breakfast had turned out to be. She listened, then hawked some phlegm over the deck and started to check her gear over. Her hands found the laces of her boot and started to undue them. Would be no good to throw down wearing something apt to get waterlogged. "If that glass has seen us, its seens us. Little use in getting all hopped up to go at them out there when we command the waters here, far as I reckon. Means we get to a say as to what they sail into." Kana cricked the last of the fatigue from her neck and made sure her good boot was loosened before kicking it off. It made a lazy lace over heel spin before arching into the water with a dull splash. Kana looked at the path the boot had taken and despaired of her aim. "F*ck."

"Ye need a worm te dangle out past the shipsdeck." She sat down and bit at the leather of her other boot and pulled to try and remove it, then moved her eyes to where the laces were still done up. She grumbled, unlaced it, then promptly threw it over her shoulder from where she sat and into the water. And the depths take the other boot too! Kana rose to standing and gave her head a ponderous scratch at the state of the air currents about. She shrugged "I'll do it."

She turned her scrutiny to Lanterni, "That lusty elf captain you were courting 'fore we came along and ruined her day-she sail these waters?"
    Last edited by n0ble; 2020-06-04 at 09:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh yawns a bit, and gives a moment's thought to the idea of ambush. "I've got a few potions of Air Bubble I whipped up, though they don't really last that long. Don't know how we'd use them, but they're something we have if we need it."
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Fury glanced between the others, responding to their comments with a question of his own. "Ambusssh... but their ssship? Or oursss?" He knew a few of the crew were excellent swimmers, but whether it was better to go to the other ship or defend their own vessel remained to be seen.”

Just an ideal
    Show
    Hps: 51 AC: 17 CMB/D: +10/21

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

The assembly of important people on deck seems to be drawing some attention, as several other crew members have clambered down from the rigging or else emerged from below to stand at attention and wait for their orders. With the ship safely at anchor, it isn't like there is much else that needs doing. Kroop gives an aggravated curse at the 'planning' going on, before apparently washing his hands of this nonsense and clambering back down the ladder into the hold.

"I very much doubt that the ship lying in wait is the Last Song. I was not foolish enough to share the location of the Three Reasons to Live with her before confirming our arrangement, an arrangement that you saw fit to sunder before it ever began. If that is Captain Llara, then she somehow followed us here without ever being seen." Lanteri exhales slowly. "While she is a good enough sailor, I can't see her being that able. No, chances are that this is a lone vulture or zealot, waiting for someone fool enough to pick at Besmara's rightful bones."

When Thysh brings up the idea of potions, she gives the gnome a glance. "Those will let folk breathe underwater, right? That would definitely come in handy... Creed, do you have anything that might complement her - sorry, I've forgotten your name - product?"

The mongrel man gives a cavernous sigh. "As we spend nearly all of our time on or around water, it would indeed stand to reason that I have readied solutions to aid in aquatic combat, wouldn't it?" He puts a bag down on the deck, opening it and putting his arm entirely too far into the receptacle before producing four vials. Each one is full of a murky green liquid that looks like it's been left out in the sun just a little too long.

"These are all essences of the ocean. If you drink one, you'll get fish hands and feet and be able to swim underwater perfectly for... about eight minutes. They won't help you breathe, but otherwise they've got you covered."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-05 at 09:15 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Lodan recoils from Hinsom's touch and frowns at the singer. He then looks away, his expression even more uneasy.

When he sees the rest of the crew gathering, he starts bellowing: "Oi, you lot, last I checked we're still at sea, not in a tavern. This ain't no Hurricane King's election, nor are we in Galt, so officers do the thinking here and sailors, that means y'all, get back to work at once. Last one back at his tasks we'll be the one rowing all of us back and forth to those gallows. Medlard, Toppin, get a skiff ready, but don't launch before I say so. Cusswel, double check those knots on the upper rigging. Maheem, are you finished with those hull patches from yesterday? Yeah? Well, the deck ain't going to swab itself. Chop-chop, back to work."

With the crew back to their tasks, Lodan joins back the officers. He makes a disgusted face as the elf explains the effect of his potions. "So it transforms you into a squelcher or something?"

"I'd rather avoid fighting if we can. If not, getting them to come to us at a moment and in a place we choose seems best. Anyways, we know nothing about their strength. Maybe they're a bigger fish than we can chew, even with surprise on our side. Whatever happens, we can't capture their ship, we barely got enough to sail the Wyrmborn. Managing to delay them or prevent them from pursuing would be enough. One thing we could use is those shoals to stick them in place."

"My vote goes to bird-girl flying up at them to take a peek, see the size of their ship and crew, and what artillery they've got on deck. We'd get an idea of how long they need to close in and whether the Wyrmborn is faster than them."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Mm. Shame." Wouldve been nice to see something pretty on depths-damned journey, but Kana'd long been divested of the notion that the crushing indigo of the ocean's waters held anything she would name as pretty. Well. Almost anything.

She rose and spoke to Tanner without an drop of humour. "Kana, Tanner. Kana. You ferget it or give **** to that which aids you again and I'll put so much wind up you as to conjure a tornado in yer belly." She thought to apologize, but only relented a bit in the darkness of her thoughts. Maybe just enough to swell him up. Kana pictured it: the first mate all puffed up to comically swollen volumes with air, floating high above the sails. Found it went some-ways to soothing her mind, though not nearly enough for her liking. Then someone else could go an look at the ship. She spat over the deck. "F*ck it. Not like we can suss anything out until we know what confronts us. I'll get to goin 'there. Y'all set yourselves to doing something here. Change it or dont based on what I brings back with me. But either way we should fix to doing something now while we still have the time to. I'm fer the c*nts with the spyglass."

She shrugged, then left for the part of the gunwale that oversaw the terminus of her boots journies. One had drifted far and away to be rhythmically bounced in time with the surfs pounding against the shoals. The other had remained sedentary as its companions new home, held in place by a few fish that were daring enough to snack on the footwear's leather. Kana wasnt sure which shoe had it worse off. She sighed and gave her shoulders a good roll, one that brought her arms and the rest her body into a standing streamlined position. Kana bent her knees slightly and then hauled herself over the gunwale, de-booted feet offering up a few kicks as she went through the air.

Kana flapped her wings before she hit the surf and let out a squawk that held some of a gull's orneriness mixed plenty with her own. She beat her wings, rose a bit but not so much as to breach the cover provided by what scrub was on the island ahead, and kept going to where the spyglass had been.

Show

Expending a use of wildshape to turn into a seagull.
    Any rolls need to be made and I can do them OOC (thinking maybe stealth, fly and perception?)

Last edited by n0ble; 2020-06-06 at 12:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Lodan frowns at Kana but adds nothing more.

Once she's changed and flown away, thinking of Jarred Bagrid for some reason, he just adds: "Somebody's got thin skin..."