New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Nothing Special: It's Something Special!

Katie Cook's wonderful, amazing, and completely gorgeous webcomic Nothing Special has recently returned with Season Three.

So, now is the perfect opportunity to binge-read the first two seasons: you can find the first episode right here.

Fantasy! Adventure! Magic! Adorkable teen romance! Spirits of deceased vegetables! Demons! Fairies! Pop culture references! Occasional kitties! Radish! It's got something for everyone.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2020-04-08 at 03:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Nothing Special: It's Something Special!

Ooooh! It's back?!? I LOVE Nothing Special! Just what I needed right now.

The art is so cute and expressive; the characters extremely well developed. The setting and lore is interesting. The jokes are funny and plot is clearly and competently planned (which is unusual in comics).

My favorite parts are all the sound effects written out in cursive particle effects (you'll see what I mean), and all the fun little background details.

The new update:

I liked the lore dump on wards, runes and different kinds of magic. I don't know how Callie can find it boring, but I understand the pull of casual games when you are supposed to be listening.
    I can't wait to see what Declan and Lasser have been up to since the break.

Any guesses on what the main plot will be this time, and how it will be related to spell weaving, as well as Lasser's Dad?
    "The error is to be human"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The little background details are always fun to look out for, along with cameo inserts of Katie and her family & friends.

Next chapter is up, and we have more on magical runes. Still no sign of Declan or Lasser, other than learning that the crepe stand girl has been flirting with Declan, and (from the previous chapter) Lasser is banned from the sushi roll stand (he knows what he did!).

Now, will Callie untangle all of her Dad's protective wards, set half of Draken on fire, or both? Are the wards keeping Lasser's father away, and will Callie accidentally removing them allow him to make a move?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Well, you win the cookie for "set half of Draken on fire". I do notice that all of the townsfolk are more worried than any of the protagonists about the gate being down, or any of the other damage.

It's nice to see DeCal back together.

If overloading and destroying a bunch of skillfully-woven magic doesn't defeat an antagonist in this season I will eat everyone's hat.
    "The error is to be human"