New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ochre Jellies can't escape a Forcecage

Ochre Jellies have Amorphous, which allows them to move through gaps as small as 1". But Forcecage specifies "a creature inside the cage can't leave it by nonmagical means". Just another point in favour of the mighty Forcecage, I guess!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ochre Jellies can't escape a Forcecage

But it's a magical ooze, you could make a reasonable argument that the amorphous ability is a magical ability so it would be leaving the cage through magical means.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    But it's a magical ooze, you could make a reasonable argument that the amorphous ability is a magical ability so it would be leaving the cage through magical means.
    Funnily enough, the Sage Advice FAQ WRT the Anti-Magic Field spell says that just because a creature is magical and does something that's not mundane (like a dragon breathing fire) the entity isn't magical. I could see a DM ruling either way on this, even though I'd expect most DMs to let the ooze escape through the bars.

Of course, oozes are chump monsters in 5E D&D by the time you get Forcecage, so c'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

According to the SRD, forcecage's bars, when used in that form, are only 1/2 inch apart, so even if the DM rules it as magical means, it still wouldn't allow them to get out. Its simply too fine of a space for them to thread.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

OK, then, insect swarms.

I think that the intention was just that they're bars, and saying that creatures can't get through was implicitly assuming creatures bigger than a half-inch.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Ochre Jellies have Amorphous, which allows them to move through gaps as small as 1". But Forcecage specifies "a creature inside the cage can't leave it by nonmagical means". Just another point in favour of the mighty Forcecage, I guess!
    Unless it's small enough to get through the bars of course. Presuming you use a barred cage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    An Ochre Jelly isn't magical in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    Of course, oozes are chump monsters in 5E D&D by the time you get Forcecage, so c'est la vie.
    Bounded Accuracy! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    According to the SRD, forcecage's bars, when used in that form, are only 1/2 inch apart, so even if the DM rules it as magical means, it still wouldn't allow them to get out. Its simply too fine of a space for them to thread.
    Dang, I didn't pay attention to that part, there goes my whole thread

Thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    OK, then, insect swarms.

I think that the intention was just that they're bars, and saying that creatures can't get through was implicitly assuming creatures bigger than a half-inch.
    Hard to say, with such a sweeping prohibition to leaving non-magically.

But yes, insect swarms. Creatures in a gaseous form would also qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    Unless it's small enough to get through the bars of course. Presuming you use a barred cage.
    Ochre Jellies are Large.

Yes, the cage version.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

An Ochre Jelly isn't magical in any way.

Ochre Jellies are Large.

Yes, the cage version.

I know they're large, but they can squeeze down to being small enough to get through the bars.

Same deal if you Forcecaged a fly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Bounded Accuracy! ;-)
    There are clearly limits to how universally that design ethos has been applied. It really only seems to apply to numeric concerns (for example, you are unlikely to get an AC so high that the monsters you face at first level cannot hit you). There are plenty of monsters that can be defeated by force cage, or even a simple Fly spell.

That said, Force Cage (and force effects in general) are sometimes seen as problematic specifically because they are hard stops against certain opponents (or anyone who has run out of specific resources). It is interesting that they didn't change force effects to have AC and hit points, such that an ochre jelly or ogre (or champion fighter) couldn't brute force their way out. There certainly is genre fiction where a strong enough something overloads a force field and ruptures it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Bounded Accuracy! ;-)
    I mean...bounded accuracy doesn't matter much in this case. Bounded Accuracy is less of a "This CR 2 should be able to counter a 7th level spell" and more of a "If I had enough peasants, they could kill that level 13 Wizard."
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D