New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

confused Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

I registered for the sole purpose of asking whether Roy is supposed to be Dwayne Johnson. Ever since the end of the first book I've had the uncanny feeling that's it's Dwayne reading the lines Rich is writing.

Does anyone have suggestions for people to play the other parts?
    Last edited by Curtis Cook; 2020-04-08 at 09:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

There have been numerous threads like that, all dead now. Which means this is now the "who should play this character" thread!

And while I love me some Dwayne Johnson (he always seems like he's just having a blast, which I like), I think Terry Crews edges him out to me.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

I'm gonna put my 2cp on Samuel L. Jackson. He can in fact play roles without profanity, and he has that perfect "you've gotta be ****ing me" look that would suit Roy so well.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

I love Samuel Jackson but he's passed 70 at this point and 20 something Roy seems a little too much of a stretch. Heck at this point Dwayne is stretching it (he's turning 48 next month)

I think in the end, I'd prefer it animated if only then it doesn't matter the ages, just the voices.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    I love Samuel Jackson but he's passed 70 at this point and 20 something Roy seems a little too much of a stretch. Heck at this point Dwayne is stretching it (he's turning 48 next month)

I think in the end, I'd prefer it animated if only then it doesn't matter the ages, just the voices.
    I would prefer it animated because I don't think the comic would really work in anything that can't provide sticks.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    I love Samuel Jackson but he's passed 70 at this point and 20 something Roy seems a little too much of a stretch. Heck at this point Dwayne is stretching it (he's turning 48 next month).
    Age aside, Sam Jackson is a bean pole. Also I don't really all the appeal he has for most people in general.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-04-08 at 07:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Thumbs up Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And while I love me some Dwayne Johnson (he always seems like he's just having a blast, which I like), I think Terry Crews edges him out to me.
    Terry Crews is the wrong 'Rock'. (jk)

Thank you all for responding; apparently this is a very active site! I'm accustomed to not getting responses within the first day, much less the first hour.

I had to look up Terry Crews as the name didn't ring a bell — and for good reason. It happens that I'm totally unfamiliar with his work. It looks like Crews has a sense of humor, which suits Roy well.

While Jackson does show an acerbic wit, I see Roy as more laid-back and a roll-with-the-punches kind of guy who's always very supportive of his teammates and willing to cut a ton of slack, which I've only seen from Jackson the one or two times I've seen him work with children. The rest of the time he's treating the adults (characters) around him like they're children.

Johnson seems very confident in his own abilities and willing to let the people around him shine, or learn their own lessons from their mistakes. His turns in the Jumanji remake and Baywatch spoof illustrate these well — Moana not so much.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I don't know why but something doesn't quite click for me with Crews as Roy. Maybe it's because he's pretty easily bothered in most of the stuff I've seen him, and that's not Roy to me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Off-subject: To me, Xykon sounds like Tim Curry, while Redcloak sounds like Tony Jay.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Off-subject: To me, Xykon sounds like Tim Curry, while Redcloak sounds like Tony Jay.
    NOT off-subject! In the initial post I asked whether people had suggestions for actors (or athletes?) to play other parts.

I'm not as solid on the other main characters, but I do have an image of Karen Gillan as Haley and maybe the ever-so-superior Reese Witherspoon as Vaarsuvius.

Maybe one of those boy-band guys as Elan? Zac Efron from New Year's Eve/Baywatch springs to mind, though he might not be 'innocent' enough.

I really have no clue on Durkon or Belkar, though I'd like a genuine Scot for Durkon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Canonically, Xykon sounds a bit like James Earl Jones playing Vader and Mufasa, at least enough to want to do an impression immediately after becoming a lich.
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yeah, last thread like this I was in I suggested the Rock as Roy. He does comedy well enough, and I think he can do that "look" that Roy often has to give when Belkar or Elan says or does something annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    I'm gonna put my 2cp on Samuel L. Jackson.
    He would make a fine Eugene Greenhilt.

On second thought, I have another nomination for Roy, now that I have seen the movie Black Panther: Michael B. Jordan. I think he would be a good Roy.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-04-09 at 08:42 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Canonically, Xykon sounds a bit like James Earl Jones playing Vader and Mufasa, at least enough to want to do an impression immediately after becoming a lich.
    Is that something that Rich has shared with us?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Is that something that Rich has shared with us?
    It’s in SOD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    I think Tim Curry could pull off the level of zany evil that embodies . Getting the voice right would probably require an absurd amount of sound engineering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Related, but somewhat different question: if you (yes, you, the one reading this post) could voice a character from OOTS, who would it be?

Personally, I think I would be Tsukiko.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

17. - Top - End - #17

GreataxeFighterGirl

Lien.

If we're talking voice-acting, you can't go wrong with the Rock as Roy...maybe Saoirse Ronan for Haley? Emma Stone? I dunno. I feel like Michael Fassbender's voice could also work for something...maybe Kubota. Maybe.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    Related, but somewhat different question: if you (yes, you, the one reading this post) could voice a character from OOTS, who would it be?
    Greyview.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Nale looks like a fun part to play.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    I'm sorry that I don't read the comic often enough to know the characters as well as you guys do, but I think I could do a good job as that Paladin with the blue hair who's with Ochul and recently surrendered to the 'Mystery Voice'.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Cook View Post
    I'm sorry that I don't read the comic often enough to know the characters as well as you guys do, but I think I could do a good job as that Paladin with the blue hair who's with Ochul and recently surrendered to the 'Mystery Voice'.
    You’ll have to fight understatement for the role, though.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Greyview.

Grey Wolf
    When icy jaws of death find you, the only certainty will be that Grey Wolf would make an awesome Greyview.

Nod, get treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

smile Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You’ll have to fight understatement for the role, though.
    Ah, so THAT'S Lien!

Okay. So, I could be a goblin, maybe?

Or a horde of goblins?

24. - Top - End - #24

I dunno, lets call me Redcloak.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I honestly never imagined Roy as being like super huge bodybuilder in terms of physique. Like, if someone of Dwayne's size did the whole arena scene, it wouldn't look like it was such a one-sided fight, plus a less extreme physique could communicate how Roy is supposed to be at least to some extent an all rounder(Although at this point he's as strong as an ice giant, but even the comic lampshades how silly it is considering he's still a regular dude).

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    I honestly never imagined Roy as being like super huge bodybuilder in terms of physique. Like, if someone of Dwayne's size did the whole arena scene, it wouldn't look like it was such a one-sided fight
    Spoiler: I'd say that depends on how big Thog is, wouldn't you?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I never understand why this forum, and society in general, insists on having men play roles they are WAY to old to play. I mean how on earth can people think 71 year old Samuel L Jackson can play a role of a 20 something? Or Terry Crews, who is 51, or even The Rock, who is 47? I've also noticed this is pretty much exclusive to the male characters: Ive never seen anyone suggest, say, Sigourney Weaver play Haley.

Here's a wild idea: how about we cast someone who is (-gasp-) age appropriate for the role? I know that's a crazy concept, but it just might work!

(My suggestion is Winston Duke, the guy who plays M'Baku in the MCU)

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: The kid who played Micah in heroes is 24 now and is, apparently, pretty built:

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT 2: also the kid from the Hunger Games:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-04-10 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I never understand why this forum, and society in general, insists on having men play roles they are WAY to old to play. I mean how on earth can people think 71 year old Samuel L Jackson can play a role of a 20 something? Or Terry Crews, who is 51, or even The Rock, who is 47?
    Two things:
    1)
    We tend to think of actors as the role we most closely associate with them. When someone tells me ‘Sam Jackson’ I picture Jules from Pulp Fiction and it takes a conscious effort to remember he’s not that young anymore. It’s the curse of pictures, just ask Dorian Gray.

2)
    Roy is a stick figure with no mark of age and within his group acts mature and seen-it-all, playing both the role of the authority and of the straight man which projects an air of age.
    I tend to think of him as thirty-something unlike Elan or Haley who act more young.

3) I lied
    Make-up and cinema magic can make a lot to help actors portray younger people (not to mention child labour laws*). A Star is a guarantee of drawing the public in and (usually of competence) this guarantee is generally acquired by time. Besides there is also a tendency of actor playing older roles (especially women*).

*But that’s another discussion.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Two things:
    1)
    We tend to think of actors as the role we most closely associate with them. When someone tells me ‘Sam Jackson’ I picture Jules from Pulp Fiction and it takes a conscious effort to remember he’s not that young anymore. It’s the curse of pictures, just ask Dorian Gray.

2)
    Roy is a stick figure with no mark of age and within his group acts mature and seen-it-all, playing both the role of the authority and of the straight man which projects an air of age.
    I tend to think of him as thirty-something unlike Elan or Haley who act more young.

3) I lied
    Make-up and cinema magic can make a lot to help actors portray younger people (not to mention child labour laws*). A Star is a guarantee of drawing the public in and (usually of competence) this guarantee is generally acquired by time. Besides there is also a tendency of actor playing older roles (especially women*).

*But that’s another discussion.
    As I pointed out, though, this is pretty much exclusive to male actors. So there must be more to it than "well we remember them being young"
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-04-10 at 11:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I’m guessing none of the playgrounders are studio execs.
    Forum Wisdom