New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Xykon is Mark Hammil

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

wink Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    Samuel L. Jackson, Angelina Jolie, Owen Wilson, Tilda Swinton, Michael Keaton, and I never identified who Durkon was supposed to be--he had a pretty distinctive look, and I don't think it was John Rhys-Davies, no.
    I'm assuming Owen Wilson was Elan and Jackson of course as Roy, but I can't for the life of me figure out who Jolie, Swinton and Keaton would've played.

Goblins, probably.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Jolie had been objectified, like Haley. Tilda had to be V because she played androgynous characters—think Gabriel from Keanu's Constantine. That leaves us with Michael Keaton as Belkar... because he played a caped crusader?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    That leaves us with Michael Keaton as Belkar... because he played a caped crusader?
    Some of Michael Keaton's characters have been pretty Belkarish in their evilness.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Some of Michael Keaton's characters have been pretty Belkarish in their evilness.
    Like Johnny Dangerously.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Like Johnny Dangerously.
    The people in our local gaming group still say, "Farging Bastich!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Cook View Post
    The people in our local gaming group still say, "Farging Bastich!"
    I have a few friends who still drop the occasional "fargin' war" or "fargin' ice hole!" line at opportune moments. That movie had another great throw away line, Joe Piscopo, something like:

"My mother did that to me ... once!"

(Been too long, I need to go and see that movie again to refresh my pointless one-liner collection)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-04-14 at 11:10 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I have a few friends who still drop the occasional "fargin' war" or "fargin' ice hole!" line at opportune moments. That movie had another great throw away line, Joe Piscopo, something like:

"My mother did that to me ... once!"

(Been too long, I need to go and see that movie again to refresh my pointless one-liner collection)
    You shouldn't hang me on a hook. My motha hung me on a hook once... ONCE!

The line about the .88 magnum aged poorly, unfortunately. But even the trailer was well made!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

You shouldn't hang me on a hook. My motha hung me on a hook once... ONCE!

The line about the .88 magnum aged poorly, unfortunately. But even the trailer was well made!
    We've veered off topic here, but this thread has been a lot of fun, and I've learned some things.

My favorite quote from a Michael Keaton movie comes from "Mr. Mom".
    Jack Butler: Gonna rip these walls out and, of course rewire it.
    Ron Richardson: You gonna make it all 220?
    Jack: Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Then later in the movie he dreams that his wife has shot him and is going to run off with Ron. They're standing over his body. (paraphrases)

Caroline: Yeah, I shot him.
    Ron: What'd you use, a 38?
    Caroline: 38, 39, whatever it took.

And so the 'inappropriately add one to the previous number' meme was born. Well, one, two. Whatever it takes.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

I’ve always thought that Tim Curry would be the perfect Xykon. You need somebody who can pull off a fairly harmless-seeming ham evil... right up until all hell breaks loose. Tim Curry seems like the man for the role.

Also... am I the only one who sees Mel Gibson as Julio Scoundrel? The aging, but still iconic sex symbol? The part seems built for him (unless you really needed a Latino Scoundrel I suppose).

Played as New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Played as the United Blemmyae Tribes in Empire!6

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Also... am I the only one who sees Mel Gibson as Julio Scoundrel? The aging, but still iconic sex symbol? The part seems built for him (unless you really needed a Latino Scoundrel I suppose).
    I feel like Julio Scoundrel does need to be latino, he's clearly not white, draws inspiration from characters and tropes from latin america and his name just doesn't sound like that of a white dude.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I feel like Julio Scoundrel does need to be latino, he's clearly not white, draws inspiration from characters and tropes from latin america and his name just doesn't sound like that of a white dude.
    So Antonio Banderas.

13. - Top - End - #73

So Antonio Banderas.
    Yeah, I suppose so.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So Antonio Banderas.
    Considering that Banderas has played a lot of the characters that inspired Scoundrél (eg Zorro), that seems most appropriate.

15. - Top - End - #75

PaladinGuy

Why are people only considering African actors for Roy? How about some southern Indian / Tamil actors like Bala William? How about some Malay or Polynesian actors like Jason Momoa or Daniel Logan?

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Why are people only considering African actors for Roy? How about some southern Indian / Tamil actors like Bala William? How about some Malay or Polynesian actors like Jason Momoa or Daniel Logan?
    .... Like the first suggestion was Dwayne Johnson.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

.... Like the first suggestion was Dwayne Johnson.
    There also was Jason Momoa.

Edit: also while a fair share of African-American actors have been proposed I’m not sure any African ones were?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-04-16 at 03:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Because Roy is dark-skinned enough that it's difficult to parse him as anything but? (Not impossible, but I feel like a lot of, say, Indian people who become internationally recognizable tend to be paler, because of the interplay between culture, socioeconomic stuff, and geography.) And aren't there bits of book commentary that specify Roy as black?

And I think lumping all the non-white ethnicities as interchangeable could lead to some... uncomfortable implications. And more to the point, implications I imagine Rich himself would find very awkward at best.

By way of analogy, Ricardo Montalban, a Latino man, playing Kahn Noonien Singh, an Indian man, is just... weird. (Yes, product of its time and all, but still weird.)
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-04-16 at 04:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Seeing as Julio is out, I’m going to push for Mel Gibson as Tarquin instead. That role might suit him better anyway.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Antonio Banderas is white.
    ungelic is us

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

annoyed Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Quote Originally Posted by hroţila View Post
    Antonio Banderas is white.
    So Spanish does not equal Hispanic? I'd suggest Andy Garcia, but he's getting a little long in the tooth (as is Banderas, which I consider a stronger strike against him).

I did a Google search for 'hispanic actors', and out of the first twenty listed only three were both male and in the appropriate age band — Freddie Prinze Jr., Eddie Cibrian and David Gallagher. Probably our best bet would be to cast a flexible woman (Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, Eva Longoria, Alexa Vega), or else go a little older (Valente Rodriguez, Benjamin Bratt, Esai Morales).

Probably our best bet would be to CGI Ricardo Montalban.

22. - Top - End - #82

PaladinGuy

So Spanish does not equal Hispanic? I'd suggest Andy Garcia, but he's getting a little long in the tooth (as is Banderas, which I consider a stronger strike against him).
    Banderas is perfect for Scoundrel. That he's aging is just fine. I like the idea of Gibson for Tarquin, but Garcia is also a good fit. But for me the best fit would be Jean Claude van Damme.

For Roy's grandfather, how about Morgan Freeman?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

So Spanish does not equal Hispanic?
    It's both complicated and political, so I won't go to deep into the explanation, but "yes and no". In the US, "hispanic origin" definition ranges from "only former Spanish colonies" (note this excludes not just Spain, but Brasil too) to "everywhere south of the US plus Spain and Portugal".

Banderas is both white and hispanic. Which is why when the Oscars tried to count him as a PoC, it went down badly. But I see no reason why he wouldn't fit Julio's character.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

If we could grab actors at any point in their life for this, I would suggest Danny Kaye for Elan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

While I will always love and adore Tim Curry, he's had a stroke and I don't think he'd pull off the manic Xykon like he would have when he was younger. Mark Hamill though is always fun.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Banderas is perfect for Scoundrel. That he's aging is just fine. I like the idea of Gibson for Tarquin, but Garcia is also a good fit. But for me the best fit would be Jean Claude van Damme.

For Roy's grandfather, how about Morgan Freeman?
    The Freeman idea is so perfect that it's almost typecasting. How about the recently introduced sister? There are an abundance of young black actresses, such as Camille Hyde (Alexandra Cabot on "Katy Keene") and Ashley Nichole Williams (Abigail Bellweather on "Motherland: Fort Salem").

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's both complicated and political, so I won't go to deep into the explanation, but "yes and no". In the US, "hispanic origin" definition ranges from "only former Spanish colonies" (note this excludes not just Spain, but Brasil too) to "everywhere south of the US plus Spain and Portugal".

Banderas is both white and hispanic. Which is why when the Oscars tried to count him as a PoC, it went down badly. But I see no reason why he wouldn't fit Julio's character.

Grey Wolf
    Interesting; thank you for the explanation. My best friend is a Cuban woman who evacuated by plane in the late '50s (both her parents were in the transitional government between the Batista and Castro regimes), and she's as white as anybody I've ever met. On the other hand, Portugal (oddly) and Spain really fall into the Mediterranean category with Italy and Greece, so I can see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    If we could grab actors at any point in their life for this, I would suggest Danny Kaye for Elan.
    Oh, he'd be a great choice!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, and Tilda Swinton as Varsuvius. I mean, come on.

Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

I put a lot of thought into some non-actors for this post. Or at least, not Hollywood actors, and acting is not their main gig. More to the point, YouTube personalities!

Spoiler: Main Cast
    Show
    I watch a lot of Youtubers, and I feel there are certain people who are just uncannily good for certain parts.

It all began while reading Elan's lines in particular. Elan is this slightly irritating, naive, somewhat oblivious, perky / peppy, charismatic, and often loud character. Sometimes so loud that it is actually harmful to those around him.

There is one youtuber who meets all of these criteria and then some.

The comparisons continue, Elan is especially knowledgeable in his niche, being a bard and understanding narrative structure, and having unexpected skill points in odd places and talents that aren't particularly combat friendly. But he can also be actually useful in certain combat situations and, especially, helpful in a party, as opposed to on his own.

The obvious comparison is to one of The Runaway Guys, Chuggaaconroy.

I have taken to reading literally all of Elan's lines in Chugga's voice. Every memorable moment involving Elan makes absolutely perfect sense if it were being read by this person.

And because ProtonJon is often in videos bantering with Chugga in The Runaway Guys collaborations, along with other projects they do together, I began thinking of where ProtonJon fits.

ProtonJon is sarcastic, snarky, worldly, competent, highly experienced in almost all video games (he completes like hundreds a year, and got famous by playing Kaizo mario and other difficult hacks) and very persistent. He is also comically unlucky, as it seems like the gods of random chance are always conspiring against him. But he is also one of the kindest people in real life, as opposed to his character of playing a bit of a jerk in the collaborations they do. He's patient, merciful, tolerant, and protective of his vitriolic best buddy Chugga, and all of his friends, and even people who have been a jerk to him. He instructed people not to doxx or attack someone who lied about having cancer to trick people into playing his Super Mario world romhack, which he only played to satisfy the supposedly dying wish of someone who had cancer, having long since given up on playing romhacks, because he finds them irritating. He deleted all the attempts to doxx this guy and shut off the comments as well. This is far from the only example, he's instructed mods to unban people after they deliberately insulted and trolled him and got him to snap at them, but they were making a valid point as well. That's the sort of guy this is. He's also low-key hilarious almost all of the time, but he never sounds like he's straining or trying to be hilarious.

I was thinking, due to his sense of humor, if he wouldn't make sense as Belkar, but it just doesn't work. Belkar is a bit too one-dimensional (even Rich has written comics addressing Belkar's lack of depth and character arc, and his arc is basically now pretending to have depth and an arc, leading to actual character growth). So Belkar isn't the right fit, temperamentally, even though Jon can be a playful jerk and a bit of a troll during multiplayer games.

He makes the most sense as Roy, to me. Because he and Chuggaa have this vitriolic best buddies kind of banter, and they have mirroring opposite kind of personalities. Jon is worldly, knowledgeable, and a veteran of lots and lots of games Chuggaa has never played, and often plays the role of a mentor, even a suffering mentor, for Chuggaa, when they do collaborative projects, showing Chuggaa games that he never finished as a child, and helping guide him through the playthrough and even helping with particularly difficult parts. Elan annoys Roy, Chuggaa annoys Jon. But almost never in a way that makes them actual adversaries. It's just how they play off of one another.

Jon's cynical and sarcastic side would play well in the webcomic as Roy, being skeptical of the gods' plans, defiant against his father's abuse and selfish wishes, would match up perfectly with all of the scenes where Roy and Elan play off of one another, being a perfect match for that same dynamic with Chugga, and his caring-for-others, even his opponents or enemies, would match up perfectly with all the scenes where Roy doesn't kill someone even though they might be evil. For example, On the Origin of PCs, when he doesn't kill the orcs who are simply camping out for an Iron Golems concert, even though that is their mission.

Plus all the times Roy was willing to sacrifice himself for others, namely against Durkon-vampire, against Xykon, and even when it might mean dying just to stop the gods from destroying the universe. It just fits with Jon's more heroic and caring for others side of his personality. Jon's willing to endure some **** if it means helping others, which is kind of rare to see in an online internet personality. He's also willing to be merciful to those who do bad things, especially if they have a point or if they try to redeem themselves by apologizing. So he's tough, but not wrathful. And by tough, I mean he will totally crush you if you versus him in just about any video game.

So ProtonJon is basically a near-perfect fit for Roy, and Chuggaa is an absolutely perfect fit for Elan.

For bonus points, ProtonJon would make a fantastic Thog. He does voices, a lot of them, and when he voiced Big the Cat during their Sonic Adventure playthrough, he was utterly hilarious as he voiced that derpy and dumb character with broken grammar and limited vocabulary (except when it was funny otherwise). Particularly when Big the Cat got deep and talked about Nietzsche, whom he called "Neetches", and encouraged people to buy his audiobook.

His snarky and sarcastic commentary and voice also lends itself well to playing some of the recurring Demon Roaches parts.

The only guy I watch online with a Scottish accent that could reasonably fit for Durkon's voice is DDRJake, who does not work with any of the Runaway Guys. So this would be a bit of a cross-over.

That said, he does fit a bit with Durkon's personality.

Durkon is usually pretty chill, almost passive, letting others take a leadership role. You probably won't find many people online who are more chill and unemotional than DDRjake. When he's making jokes, playing a game he enjoys, or even playing a game he hates, there's almost no variation to the man's tone. He's the most deadpan snarker ever, you can hardly ever detect that he's making a deliberate joke unless you get the context of it. He's not humorless, but he doesn't emote his humor at all. He has a noticeable Scottish accent, and it is not at all hard on the ears. It's downright musical and chill to listen to. Playing Durkon would actually require DDRJake to emote more than he usually does, and I have no idea if he has any acting chops. But if he could do Durkon's more emotional scenes, he would be perfect for the role, and not just because of the accent.

In particular, when Durkon becomes vampire Durkon, DDRJake is basically absolutely perfect for the role. When he plays games, DDRJake often takes the most ruthless, brutal, and immoral route to a straight up victory, in grand strategy games or in civilization management games, you can't get a more cruel, ruthless, or cunning leader who is both devastating and terrifyingly effective. Since Vampire Durkon is one of the main antagonists of this atory, Jake would embody that particular character perfectly. Playing the role of a passive and diplomatic persona, but secretly being evil and cruel. All with the proper accent.

He's downright bone-chilling at times. Just watch him play Frostpunk sometime and you'll understand his reckless disregard for human life and comfort in pursuit of a victory. There is no exaggeration here, when the vampires are almost cartoonishly sadistic and cruel in this webcomic, DDRJake would absolutely nail all of those lines without altering any aspect of his online persona. Such cruelties are trivial for him, and so commonplace as to be banal and rote. He doesn't even play it up like scenery-chewing villains often do, he just callously and coldly does what he does.

It's not a totally perfect fit, there may be better, but from youtubers I know, there is no one better. The only weakness I see here is when Durkon has to have an emotional scene, or the vampire Durkon gloats. Jake doesn't really do that sort of thing. Maybe if he has hidden acting chops. Otherwise, he's a perfect fit.

Actually, even though he's a native Scot, he might have to play up his natural Scottish accent a bit more to match Durkon's nearly incomprehensible speech. DDRJake is well spoken, so again, to match how I picture Durkon, he would need to have some acting ability.

Therefore maybe he isn't quite the perfect fit, but how would I know unless he did an audition? I think he could do it. It's not that much of a stretch. But if he can't act, then we would need a different Scot.

I picture Durkon as sounding exactly like Gimli, so if we were doing actors, the same actor would get the part. I don't know how well Jake could mimic Gimli. Maybe someone else would be a better voice fit, but Jake is also a fine pick for all of the above reasons.

Vaarsuvius as a character is loquacious when it is his/her time to speak lines, excessively verbose even, and although s/he is an elf, has been known to emote quite a bit, especially in a threatening manner, such as declaring s/he is about to destroy his/her opponent, or when s/he sold hir soul to the demons in exchange for ultimate arcane power. Vaar is also a bit tsundere in my opinion. Vaar has that same arc with hir familiar, being cold and callous at first, and later, attempting to improve that relationship. And with Belkar, they were initially hot blooded enemies, but at times, the elf was the only one in Belkar's corner, considering his point of view, or coming to his rescue. Come to think of it, Vaar is very tsundere.

You need someone with a loud and forceful, confident, eloquent voice capable of clear enunciation, who is a powerful personality and capable of playing angry, aggressive, assertive, cold, distant, callous, but also, capable of changing for the better.

I noticed a voice that often collaborates with The Runaway Guys that meets all of those qualities during the collaborations, as opposed to her own solo projects. Particularly when she works with Chuggaa.

If you know her work, you obviously know that I am referring to MasaeAnela.

The aspects of her personality I find that most resemble Vaarsuvius are when she works with Chuggaa, or anyone else that might irritate her or piss her off. She has also been known to reject being called "cute", and reject being "shipped" with anyone. There is a vibe about her that makes it very clear her romantic life is her own business and no one else's, and she is not at all a flirt. Much like Vaarsuvius.

She has a hair trigger temper and is scary when she gets angry or has an opportunity to torment someone in a playful way. But she is not really a cruel person at all. And she is also definitely not heroic either, in any of their collaborative projects, she is aggressive and defensive, protective of herself above others, and has a very strong independent streak.

She just fits Vaarsuvius very well, with that neutral with cruel tendencies type of personality, but not cruel for its own sake, only when it serves her interests. She is capable of destroying those who oppose her without mercy, but she is also capable of working in a group with people that irritate her, and even come to their aid when necessary. Just like Vaarsuvius.

She also has a softer, contemplative, intellectual, and chill side, which is most often expressed in her own solo projects. When she is by herself, she is almost exactly like Vaarsuvius on a good day, or a calm day, when Vaar is just being a valued and helpful team member, and typically one of the only competent ones in the bunch.

And like Vaarsuvius, her competence has limits. She struggles in certain games and gets frustrated. Vaar has been known to struggle when direct application of the most powerful magic spells at hir disposal doesn't work. In collaborative projects, Masae is also not typically the one who wins every encounter, game, or versus mode. But she isn't bad either. So the limits to Vaarsuvius' application in every situation are sort of mirrored by Masae not being overpowered either. But when she puts her mind to it, she is also clever and rational and able to outthink, so like Vaarsuvius, even when she is outmatched, you shouldn't count her out. She has depths.

I think what makes her perfect for the part is how she goes from calm and pleasant in her solo projects to harsh and snappy in collaborative ones. Her voice is also very clear, loud, assertive, and intimidating despite how civilized it sounds. Basically, you'd have to hear her snap off at Chuggaa a few times and irritatedly tolerate him at other times, and you'd see how she would make a perfect Vaarsuvius for all of Vaar's most dramatic scenes.

She isn't someone who rambles or filibusters, but I feel confident if she was acting and reading lines, she could pull off those lengthy tirades no problem. She talks non-stop during her solo youtube projects, so she has no issue talking at length. She is just probably not as wordy when getting a point across as Vaar. But otherwise, the persona and voice is a perfect match, and I see no issue with the differences in her own personality being set aside to read Vaar's lines.

When it comes to Belkar, the voice needs to be able to emote well, make lots of dirty jokes and gags, and it needs to be boastful and assertive and aggressive when needed, but it also needs to come across as someone who doesn't take any of this too seriously.

Belkar's personality is selfish and violent, but otherwise fun to be around as long as you are not on his bad side. The "core" of his voice therefore needs to be someone who is actually pretty chill, and likes to have fun and mess around, but also be capable of a range of emoting. The actual specifics of Belkar being violent aren't that essential to the voice aspect.

Of the youtubers I know, the unlikely match for Belkar to me is actually still in The Runaway Guys, filling out the roster with NintendoCapriSun.

Here's the thing, NintendoCapriSun is in some aspects the opposite of Belkar's actual personality. For example, in their collaborative projects, while Tim (NCS) can be competitive and competent (particularly with retro games), he is also known to be quite the teddy bear.

He's more of a caring and passive, compassionate mentor kind of person, when he works with others. He's been known to give advice to folks that he collaborates with, and is the opposite of ProtonJon's more vitriolic mentor or trickster mentor style. He is usually serious about giving help, and unserious about all the jokes he makes. He doesn't really troll very much, and is usually a paragon as opposed to a renegade when he's on a team.

So, at his core, he's a knowledgeable, competent, virtuous kitten. Who tells lots and lots and lots of fart jokes, and engages in innuendo and toilet humor at the drop of a hat. Any hat.

In other words, he matches Belkar's chill and not-serious approach to the OOTS structure and universe. Belkar is not all that seriously invested in the plot, or the NPCs, or anyone else around him, but he does like to make burns and jokes constantly. He's the comic relief of the gang, even though he is competent and dangerous in a pinch.

What's funny is that, unlike the others, the aspects of Tim's personality that most closely match Belkar's more sadistic, aggressive, violent, loud side, prone to emotional outbursts, are when he does his solo projects away from The Runaway Guys.

It is in those settings, when the feelings of those around him are no longer being taken into account, and it is just him versus the video game, that all of Belkar's darkest aspects come bubbling up to the surface.

Tim is known to get enraged (for him) and rant (albeit not at length) about a game screwing him over, and he's been known to get serious, aggressive, and determined when he needs to defeat the challenge in front of him. He is more likely to show irritation, anger, shock, surprise, and otherwise get very loud, when he is on his own, as opposed to how he tends to take a chill backseat during collaborative projects.

Tim is basically a backwards Belkar from the mirror universe. I'm dead serious.

Whereas Belkar has been an unreliable, cold, callous, trolly teammate, Tim is the exact opposite. A reliable, virtuous, loyal paragon of a teammate who doesn't troll his friends. But when Belkar is on his own, he is chill, almost passive (except for the violence) not taking things too seriously outside of combat, and just an endless stream of jokes and innuendo and toilet humor. Tim is like that, except when he is in a group.

And while Belkar is evil, Tim is good. He's mirror universe Belkar, in an uncanny way.

But all the aspects of Belkar's personality are there, they are just being expressed in the opposite situations, and in the opposite alignment, so to speak.

And Tim nails both aspects of Belkar's personality, and his voice is exactly the kind of voice I picture when I hear Belkar speak.

Belkar is a halfling ranger Barbarian with a dim view of humans and non-halfling life forms, or any life forms, and is most definitely not cultured or well-mannered. Tim, while having an appreciation for all life, also kind of has a twisted take on everything, making toilet jokes and sexual jokes and ranting about random stuff that has nothing to do with the plot of what is happening, all the time. He's like an outsider observing either the game that he is currently playing, or society and life in general, and he rips on all of it, doesn't take it seriously, and he doesn't sound anything like the way I picture Vaarsuvius / MasaeAnela talking, or the serious way Durkon / DDRJake talks, or the snarky straight man that Roy / ProtonJon would sound like.

He's personally cultured, but he speaks in a kind of a mixed southern twang that is indicative of his having grown up in the south but lived in a lot of different states, and he doesn't take himself too seriously, and although Tim himself is incredibly smart and has a deep vocabulary, he talks like a regular person who doesn't really give a darn about the social niceties such as politeness.

I also picture him as the guy who could attend a corporate board meeting, dressed completely wrong, like a slob, and making actual farts and fart jokes during the whole meeting, going off-topic, not taking it seriously, and generally taking a dump on the entire concept of being prim and proper.

He just has that Belkar vibe. Their personalities in real life are like mirror universe opposites, like if there were a Linear Guild where Belkar's nearly identical opposite was Good instead of evil, but they are also somehow an entirely perfect match.

I can't think of a better person to play Belkar.

Tim would laugh at everything in the OOTS universe, not take it seriously, not pay close attention, be competent in any fight, and emote perfectly. And he has the chops to be able to play the team troll, even if that's not how he would personally behave. He can do it. He would nail every scene where Belkar is a large ham, and he would also nail every scene where Belkar has to emote for a change. He would nail every burn and joke. And his voice and general attitude are a perfect match.

I know, it's funny that all of the Runaway Guys perfectly fit someone in the OOTS universe. Seems like quite a coincidence, as if the only people I watch on Youtube are these guys, and thus, I forced these matches. But no, I am subscribed to probably 50 other channels and watch others regularly. These guys just so happen to all have personalities that fit extremely well in the Order of the Stick.

Haley is a little bit more difficult for me to place. She has a tendency to make wisecracks, and have her own selfish agenda about things (in the beginning, a bit, but that faded drastically over time to become the near-perfect teammate), and be a bit greedy. She is a rogue, and thus, chaotic. She's also one of the OOTS' more lusty characters, more worldly in the matters of romance, and more likely to be involved with innuendo. She can be serious, but unless the situation is dire, she tends to take a more carefree attitude about things, and crack wise. She is also a skilled liar, able to talk her way out of a lot of situations, so she is cunning and charismatic. That said, she had her shot at being the leader of the team, and while she rose to the occasion, she also was greatly relieved to not have that responsibility put on her. She is better at doing her own thing than leading a team, and better at following direction than doing her own thing sometimes. With Roy around, Haley becomes more competent, I think. There have been many times that she improved or became more combat-effective by following Roy's lead than simply acting on her own initiative. Roy has been a mentor of sorts to her. And she has been romantically paired with the team's bard, who is naive and oblivious to her affections at first, and not especially knowledgeable about subtext.

You might be able to see where this is going, especially if you remember who I cast as Roy, and as Elan.

In a lot of ways, Lucahjin can match Haley's personality.

She's been known to have to explain sexual innuendo to Chuggaaconroy on dozens of occasions where they have done crossover projects. Her worldliness and tendency to make raunchy jokes or innuendo perfectly matches Haley's greater adult-oriented nature when compared with Elan, who also perfectly matches Chuggaa's own naivete and obliviousness. She's done many crossover projects with ProtonJon, wherein Jon plays the mentor figure who helps her improve her skills, most notably in the Banjo-Kazooie playthrough on her channel, or the Fortune Street episode where she first joins The Runaway Guys as they play that. Jon was very much a mentor and teacher figure there, explaining how to play.

Jon also happens to be one of the inspirations for Lucahjin to get into Youtube playthroughs of video games to begin with, much like Roy was the one who recruited Haley.

Although she and Jon are romantically involved and she and Chugga are very much not, this is acting and she could play that role.

Not just her own voice and personality, but the strong similarities between her and Jon's relationship and Haley and Roy's relationship, and the personality dynamic between her and Chugga and Haley and Elan, makes her kind of a natural fit for the cast.

If she did multiple voices, I could also see her playing one hell of a Sabine.

Which makes sense, since Nale would be played by Chugga still, and Sabine is Haley's evil opposite. Lucah might even be an even more perfect match for Sabine than she is as Haley.

Haley might mean more acting on her part, whereas Sabine is literally perfect for her. I can't picture anyone else as Sabine, the lusty temptress. (No one makes more perverted jokes than Lucahjin, not even NCS)

Lucahjin is also gifted at dozens of voices, and her Old Man voice that she uses often, particularly for the judge in the Phoenix Wright series, would be perfect for Lord Shojo, since he's a wacky old guy who acts a bit mental and delusional.

Speaking of other voices, MasaeAnela would also make for one heck of a Miko Miyazaki, and no, I definitely don't think so just because of her ethnicity being an exact match. It is Miko's assertiveness and aggressive, bold, and terrifying aspects that make Masae a good match for the voice. Much for the same reason she would make an excellent Vaarsuvius.

I am sure there may be some others who could deliver a performance that is approximately as good, as Miko is kind of an easy and one-note character to voice, but Masae would wreck the part.

For the main villains, their speaking time is typically limited, and you need a badass voice to carry their scenes which are either full of gravitas, or are comedy relief.

Xykon needs someone who can do a deep voice, but is also charismatic and funny. I can't think of a Youtuber more charismatic or funnier than Patty, aka Pcull44444. His couch commentaries during AGDQ are legendary. He snarks, he sings, he cracks endless jokes, he does a thousand voices, and his natural voice is pretty deep, and he can go deeper and do impressive ranges.

Redcloak needs someone who can voice a goblin, one that can sound threatening when needed for the emotionally dramatic scenes, and otherwise just sound like a villain the rest of the time. I think Tom Fawkes as Lord Donator in the TRG streams does a perfect overlord villain voice.

There's probably more I can add to this cast but this is running long for now. I also haven't had time to proofread this, so more editing for me later.

So, that fills out the main cast.

Roy Greenhilt, Thog, Demon Roaches: ProtonJon

Elan the Bard, Nale: Chuggaaconroy

Haley Starshine, Sabine, Lord Shojo: Lucahjin

Vaarsuvius, Miko Miyazaki: MasaeAnela

Belkar Bitterleaf, Zz'dtri: NintendoCapriSun (AKA Tim)

Durkon Thundershield: DDRJake

Xykon the Lich: Pcull44444 (AKA Patty)

Redcloak: Tom Fawkes (as his Lord Donator voice)

I kind of want to link to examples of each of these, so it will make more sense, but I have to step away and I don't want to lose the above post since I spent like an hour on it. So, maybe I might edit them in later. Plus they're trivial to find on Youtube or twitch so it's no big if I forget. And I will probably be the only person who is this enthusiastic about casting this particular group, so... this might mostly be a post for myself. If someone quote-replies to this post, make sure to keep the spoiler tags so it's not a giant wall for people to have to scroll past, please.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2020-04-18 at 01:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

PaladinGuy

I have not heard of any of those.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

eek Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

I have not heard of any of those.
    And that makes two of us.

Well, it's a different take on the question.