New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1199 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Thou hath been swordsage'd!
    Yeah, it took a while to write that up. Considered stopping after Elan's first line but decided to press on since I am not a quitter.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are they worried about Sending in close proximity to the enemy just due to the casting time or for some other reason?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
    Are they worried about Sending in close proximity to the enemy just due to the casting time or for some other reason?
    Better safe than sorry - it has a verbal component and the casting time might have been longer than the remaining time on their Invisibility or flight spells.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I too would like to know what happened to O-Chul and Lien. Also, I love Belkar‘s description of the paladins.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I too would like to know what happened to O-Chul and Lien. Also, I love Belkar‘s description of the paladins.
    I'm more amused that Belkar mostly just described some of their physical traits and demeanor, and Minrah got who he was talking about immediately.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm more amused that Belkar mostly just described some of their physical traits and demeanor, and Minrah got who he was talking about immediately.
    Because she got the story-dump from Elan, who most likely used some illusions to illustrate some aspects and characters of the story.

7. - Top - End - #37

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Because she got the story-dump from Elan, who most likely used some illusions to illustrate some aspects and characters of the story.
    Summon Plot Exposition seems suitable.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan67 View Post
    I could get why Xykon lowered his defences: he assumes he has backup copy in the Astral plane. But why Redcloak is so reluctant to organize better defences?
    Well, they are entering the dungeon and attacking monsters every day. They might not want to spare the extra spell slots to set up and maintain defenses.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Did anyone else get the impression that Redcloak is so focused on getting to the final gate that he’s throwing caution to the wind a bit? Xykon’s not as much of a planner so without Redcloak being the responsible one it won’t get done.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Did anyone else get the impression that Redcloak is so focused on getting to the final gate that he’s throwing caution to the wind a bit? Xykon’s not as much of a planner so without Redcloak being the responsible one it won’t get done.
    Yes. I got that impression when he made his points on efficency.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-04-09 at 08:52 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #41

WolfInSheepsClothing

That and his push for more doors. I hope we see more Team Evil soon, I’m really curious how things will go in terms of the search, Redcloak’s growing desperation, and MiTD’s sabotage. With the distrust in top of that it seems like a very unstable situation.

12. - Top - End - #42

It's not going to happen, but my first thought was that Roy's last line was the perfect setup for Miko to reveal her inexplicable recovery.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

It'll be interesting to see if that Sending actually gets through -- whether the new players can block incoming communications (or want to) will tell us something about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Everything we’ve seen from Redcloak in the last two books emphasizes that he wants to be done with Xykon as soon as possible and that the Plan, and the fight as a whole, has become something of a slog from him. He basically is talking through gritten teeth every moment he’s around Xykon, he hates this dungeon-crawling business with just killing innocent monsters because they’re in the way (makes sense that that would be Redcloak’s least favourite kind of fight), he doesn’t even enjoy killing paladins any more, and what he wants to do are productive things like the Gobbotopia-bugbear trade deals he proposed to Oona.

All of which are indications that if the Order presents the chance of obtaining his goals through peaceful cooperation rather than risking the world’s destruction and hoping the next word is better, they have a decent shot at talking him into accepting it. It won’t be easy, but the foundation is there.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2020-04-09 at 09:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

“Primate-centric”? Are elves, halflings, and dwarves even considered primates? Boy, way to lump all humanoid species into the same taxonomic order, Blackwing.

In other words, chu-chu-chu-check your privilege!
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-04-09 at 11:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    “Primate-centric”? Are elves and dwarves even considered primates? Boy, way to lump all humanoid species into the same taxonomic order, Blackwing.

In other words, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C3IhWcJH0 ]chu-chu-chu-check your privilege![/url]
    According to a black dragon, elves are primates.

17. - Top - End - #47

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Everything we’ve seen from Redcloak in the last two books emphasizes that he wants to be done with Xykon as soon as possible and that the Plan, and the fight as a whole, has become something of a slog from him. He basically is talking through gritten teeth every moment he’s around Xykon, he hates this dungeon-crawling business with just killing innocent monsters because they’re in the way (makes sense that that would be Redcloak’s least favourite kind of fight), he doesn’t even enjoy killing paladins any more, and what he wants to do are productive things like the Gobbotopia-bugbear trade deals he proposed to Oona.

All of which are indications that if the Order presents the chance of obtaining his goals through peaceful cooperation rather than risking the world’s destruction and hoping the next word is better, they have a decent shot at talking him into accepting it. It won’t be easy, but the foundation is there.
    I agree with this. Though I think that many of his motives for wanting to be done with Xykon don’t lend themselves to letting him drop the plan so I think it’s a mixed bad. He’s lost the fixation on revenge which is an improvement,

Spoiler
    Show
    lt seems like the drive to avoid feeling shame/guilt for his past actions is as strong or stronger than ever, especially after losing the eye. It seems like he’s also getting desperate to get the vindication/resolution he thins completing the plan will bring. This will make it very difficult to deal with him since he’s so determined, but it could also mean that he’s finding it harder and harder to keep deluding himself and thus make it easier for the Order to break through his obsession.

18. - Top - End - #48

GreataxeFighterGirl

Blackwing is always just pure gold.

I think it might be plausible that the paladins have waken up, and their captors might force them to say specific stuff in order to lure the Order into a trap? Elsewise the six -- sorry, ten -- of them have absolutely no chance against Team Evil as of right now. (Can they win with the two paladins? They definitely could pull it off if Serini and RC joined their side).

Still not sure how the possible Order-Redcloak alliance will work, since Haley probably wants to feather him on sight.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I think it might be plausible that the paladins have waken up
    If they haven't woken up in the thirty-odd hours since their capture, I will be very worried about their health bith long and short term.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If they haven't woken up in the thirty-odd hours since their capture, I will be very worried about their health bith long and short term.
    Definitely an upcoming trap, then. How else would the Order get to meet the new voices?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wait a minute, this is strip #1199. Oooh, maybe the Sending WILL work after all.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There are a number of ways that they could be kept not-woken-up, both magical and non-.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    Wait a minute, this is strip #1199. Oooh, maybe the Sending WILL work after all.
    We don’t always get dramatic stuff on big-number strips, but the last several comics have felt like they’re dragging things out a little, so this could be a setup for something big in 1200.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    "We're mad about the extra hands comment"
    Never change Blackwing.
    that one made me crack up hardcore.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    According to a black dragon, elves are primates.
    Also, Blackwing previously called V a mammal.

26. - Top - End - #56

Ah, high level play, where the opinion poll needs to include sidekicks, class features and intelligent magic items.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

And in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, the elven ghost discusses breastfeeding with the Katos, saying "After the first fifteen years of breastfeeding, it gets much easier."
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Ah, high level play, where the opinion poll needs to include sidekicks, class features and intelligent magic items.
    Intelligent items do have egos, after all.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #59

MindFlayer

Nobody expects the corvid interjection.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

I can't wait to see what happened to the paladins.