New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Paranatural: And the New Forum Thread

Link to the latest strip
    Link to the start of the comic

Hey there, Playground! Here's my attempt at getting a forum thread started for Paranatural, the urban fantasy comedy webcomic by Zack Morrison. For those not in the know, the comic follows Max Puckett, a new arrival to the small town of Mayview who finds himself entangled in the extra-normal world of ghosts and spirits and falls in with the Activity Club, a junior-high organization of students who fight dangerous spirits and are led by the (allegedly) mysterious Mr. Richard Spender. At least, that's the idea at first: the scope of the comic rapidly expands outwards and incorporates a huge and developed cast that only seems to get bigger every chapter. There's much to see and read.

I only stumbled on the comic recently, but it's still one of the most consistently funny, well-written, and beautifully drawn webcomics I've seen in a very long time, and I was surprised the forum didn't have a dedicated thread for it (there's an old one from two years ago, but it doesn't seem to have lasted long). Now that chapter 7 has begun in earnest, I figured I'd give it a shot. Any other fans of the (Paranatural) Activity Club feel like giving their two cents?

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 1
    Show
    Mr. Garcia being a (former?) Cousinhood operative both explains a lot and raises even more questions.

Feels weird to see Mr. Spender wearing something other than a tailored suit. Makes him seem a lot more vulnerable than normal. But he's still refusing to mend fences with Mina, so I do wonder if he actually took anything away from the events of chapter 5.

The opening chapter blurb from last update still has me thinking. It refers to the "three remaining veteran members of the Activity Club". I'm guessing that means Isabel, Ed, and Isaac. But does it also mean that Dimitri isn't the only former member running around? And what about the vaguely alluded-to adventures Spender and Mina had when they were the same age as the kids? I strongly believe we're going to find out what happened between Spender and Lucifer when the former was thirteen in this chapter, but I don't know what else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Paranatural: And the New Forum Thread

shame the comic comment section was deactivated, maybe this thread will pick up the slack.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #3

It is over now but I wanted to say I found the last arc confusing, in the sense that I was confused that the story switched to that arc for some reason it didn't really fit imo.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    It is over now but I wanted to say I found the last arc confusing, in the sense that I was confused that the story switched to that arc for some reason it didn't really fit imo.
    I can think of a number of reasons why, at least.

• Taking a break from the perspective of the Activity Club. It gives us a chance to see how weird Mayview looks from the perspective of someone not involved in the world of spirits (answer: still really freaking weird).
    • Developing characters. Zack loves to flesh out the secondary cast, and Stephen was the least-developed member of Johnny's gang for a while before that chapter came out. It also gives us some insight into Davy and what his whole deal is, without having to contort the story so he could make more appearances.
    • It gives both reader and writer a break with a short, mostly self-contained story after the sprawling openness of Chapter 5, which was very good but also kind of exhausting to get through. Not sure where the latest chapter will fit in on that front; hopefully somewhere in-between.
    • It allows Zack to flex their artistic muscles and do something a little more experimental with the framing device of the chapter. I'm not sure the whole DJ Mothman and Prof. Bigfoot thing worked for me, but I could see how it would make a nice change of pace from a writer's perspective.

Could be any of those reasons. Could be none of them. Shrug, I say.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

My main issue with the otherwise delightful Chapter 6 is that it feels Zack still has loads of story left to tell with the main plot, and that he shouldn't waste time with "filler" side stuff. I want him to be able to finish the main comic before he either loses focus & the plot sprawls into an incomprehensible mess (like Erfworld), or he loses the time/drive/resources to finish (too many other webcomics I've followed).

The comic started April 30, 2011. (I was introduced to the comic by a guest comic he did at Paradox Space, a Homestuck spinoff.). For almost 9 years now, we have had plot progress, but there's still a lot more to go, at least without rushing things. This little side-story took us from Jan 2019 to March 2020. I know he needs to do what he feels inspired to do to stave off burnout, but I also think he won't want to do this for the next 40 years. I don't think this comic is his main source of income, like other big ones (Sluggy Freelance, Schlock Mercenary, Order of the Stick, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal).

As a side note, Alex was my favourite character introduced in chapter 5, so it was nice to see her have a tiny cameo in chapter 6. I wonder, given the time spent on her, if she'll have any relevance in the future.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 2
    Show
    So Mr. Garcia is at least still semi-active when it comes to monster hunting. That might explain that time Max saw him floating in a river? Not so much how that crossbow ended up at Spender's place, though.

Curious whether the Cousinhood has some alternative method of seeing spirits and ghosts, or whether they're divorced from that side of the supernatural entirely and "Monsters" like vampires are just visible if you know where to look.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Moon's not full just yet"?
    So he's a werewolf/therianthrope of some kind?
    Or something else connected to Luna?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-04-17 at 10:54 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    "Moon's not full just yet"?
    So he's a werewolf/therianthrope of some kind?
    Or something else connected to Luna?
    Sounds to me more like he's going werewolf hunting than a werewolf himself. The Cousinhood are monster hunters, remember.

...that being said, he definitely could be a werewolf. Stranger character reveals have happened.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Sounds to me more like he's going werewolf hunting than a werewolf himself. The Cousinhood are monster hunters, remember.

...that being said, he definitely could be a werewolf. Stranger character reveals have happened.
    Being paired with a "I'll be fine, don't worry." makes it sound kinda suspicious to me.
    Makes it sound like it's about him, not something he's hunting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Being paired with a "I'll be fine, don't worry." makes it sound kinda suspicious to me.
    Makes it sound like it's about him, not something he's hunting.
    "I'll be fine [because my prey won't be able to fully transform into a horrifying death machine]" is a perfectly valid interpretation and you know it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    "I'll be fine [because my prey won't be able to fully transform into a horrifying death machine]" is a perfectly valid interpretation and you know it.
    Maybe, but it wasn't the first thing I thought of. I build myself a little molehill, might as well half heartedly pretend to defend it.
    (Originally I misread it as "It just isn't full moon yet" which makes it read very differently)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No update this week. That's a bad sign only two pages into the new chapter. Also, isn't this comic supposed to be updating twice a week?

Maybe Zack posted something on Twitter, I wouldn't know.

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

No update this week. That's a bad sign only two pages into the new chapter. Also, isn't this comic supposed to be updating twice a week?

Maybe Zack posted something on Twitter, I wouldn't know.
    He posted under a comic long ago that it‘s only updated on Friday.
    and the occasional skip is quite normal.
    * my emphasis

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 3
    Show
    Lots of ambiguous wording getting thrown out here. I'm inclined to believe the "Her" Spender and Garcia keep referring to is the "angel" that Doorman and Nin serve, for no other reason other than that it'd be convenient, and we have enough factions running around anyway.
    Last edited by KatsOfLoathing; 2020-05-01 at 07:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

good advice in the last second to panel
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2020-05-01 at 08:29 AM.
    * my emphasis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    good advice in the last second to panel
    I have a feeling the relationship between Spender and Zarei is going to make up a big chunk of this chapter.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floogal View Post
    My main issue with the otherwise delightful Chapter 6 is that it feels Zack still has loads of story left to tell with the main plot, and that he shouldn't waste time with "filler" side stuff. I want him to be able to finish the main comic before he either loses focus & the plot sprawls into an incomprehensible mess (like Erfworld), or he loses the time/drive/resources to finish (too many other webcomics I've followed).
    Actually, I'd wager Stephen's side story wasn't filler at all. It let Zack cover some of the less-fleshed out characters pretty easily, but more importantly he also was able to give some serious details on the vampires without having the Activity Club have to find out about them or it being a non-sequitur. While the whole Mothman radio thing felt a bit iffy, the amount of information we got with the vampires probably would have had to come up sooner or later.

Right now it sounds like we have two main long-term conflicts that the Activity Club is subject to, with the first one being in the town (as represented by Davy and the vampires) and a second one in terms of spirits (as represented by...either Doorman's group or the people the dogs were reporting to, it's rather ambiguous). I'd say there's another side in the form of the Activity Consortium, but for brevity I'd say they're close enough to being "good" for all intents and purposes.

There's still a lot of stuff that the plot has to reveal or trim away, but Chapter 6 helped give some background to let Zack maneuver through the plot more readily.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Right now it sounds like we have two main long-term conflicts that the Activity Club is subject to, with the first one being in the town (as represented by Davy and the vampires) and a second one in terms of spirits (as represented by...either Doorman's group or the people the dogs were reporting to, it's rather ambiguous). I'd say there's another side in the form of the Activity Consortium, but for brevity I'd say they're close enough to being "good" for all intents and purposes.

There's still a lot of stuff that the plot has to reveal or trim away, but Chapter 6 helped give some background to let Zack maneuver through the plot more readily.
    Yeah, there's a lot of factions in play. That's not even counting the "Broken God" possessing Max (which may or may not be tied to either of the spirit factions), the vice principal/"The Witch" and whatever her deal is, and the Cousinhood. Also, the people the Pixhellhounds were reporting to were in turn reporting to somebody else. It's complex, in a word.

Doorman and Nin claim to be the "good guys" in the spirit conflict, but neither of them particularly care for humans and they were willing to work with Forge, who's not exactly a nice guy himself. Though the black robe dudes can command the Pixhellhounds, who instinctively obey the most evil person in their midst, so they're probably the bad guys in that situation.

Also, I'd like other opinions on a question I've been pondering for a bit: is Lisa a vampire? She certainly seems to know about the supernatural, and there are a few scenes in Chapter 5 where her eyes do the same ghostly-glow thing as Cody's (and they're the same shade when fully open, too). Thoughts?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, there's a lot of factions in play. That's not even counting the "Broken God" possessing Max (which may or may not be tied to either of the spirit factions), the vice principal/"The Witch" and whatever her deal is, and the Cousinhood. Also, the people the Pixhellhounds were reporting to were in turn reporting to somebody else. It's complex, in a word.

Doorman and Nin claim to be the "good guys" in the spirit conflict, but neither of them particularly care for humans and they were willing to work with Forge, who's not exactly a nice guy himself. Though the black robe dudes can command the Pixhellhounds, who instinctively obey the most evil person in their midst, so they're probably the bad guys in that situation.
    Oh shoot, I forgot about the vice principal and the spirit possessing Max. It'd be both hilarious and probably save a lot of time if it turns out the vice principal is just a terrible person that Zarei hates, but otherwise has no real role in the story. A bit like the gym teacher from Dr. McNinja.

Personally, I'm going to assume the Cousinhood isn't going to be overly relevant unless you count Garcia.

There's no evidence to suggest the ominous spirits (?) are backing any given side except for that they're almost certainly working against the angel.

Also, I'd like other opinions on a question I've been pondering for a bit: is Lisa a vampire? She certainly seems to know about the supernatural, and there are a few scenes in Chapter 5 where her eyes do the same ghostly-glow thing as Cody's (and they're the same shade when fully open, too). Thoughts?
    What page does she do the glowing eye bit? Lisa might be a vampire, but given the Davy/Cody interactions she's on Cody's side if she is. Davy specifically is not the one in charge of the..."operations" at the middle school, and Cody is against his father. Assuming Lisa isn't a vampire sent to keep an eye on Cody, I'd assume she's either just a spooky person who has an inkling about what's going on, or doing stuff under Cody.

EDIT: Unrelated, I just noticed that at https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-136 "Mr. Spender" only knows about Isabel's shoulder because Hijack is talking through him. (Hijack takes over at a bit before page 100 or something, right? When Spender opens the door for him)
    Huh, looking back and rereading this with that one tidbit in mind makes this feel very intricately arranged.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-05-03 at 05:35 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh shoot, I forgot about the vice principal and the spirit possessing Max. It'd be both hilarious and probably save a lot of time if it turns out the vice principal is just a terrible person that Zarei hates, but otherwise has no real role in the story. A bit like the gym teacher from Dr. McNinja.
    I forgot about Max's spirit too until my second read-through.

Davy also makes reference to the vice principal (as "the witch", before we learn who that refers to), so she's definitely supernatural to some degree. Why she reacted the way she did when she crossed paths with Mina is what I'm really curious about. Doesn't recognize her somehow? Chose not to instigate a conflict in front of innocent bystanders? Something else?

Personally, I'm going to assume the Cousinhood isn't going to be overly relevant unless you count Garcia.
    Fair enough. This story is definitely set to expand beyond Mayview at some point, though, given how many outside factions have an interest in the town, so if/when that happens I expect them to play a bigger role.

There's no evidence to suggest the ominous spirits (?) are backing any given side except for that they're almost certainly working against the angel.
    Speaking of, I'm very curious what exactly the angel's deal is. She doesn't really fit in with anything we know regarding how spirits act and behave. Zack also said that demons are not a thing in the comic's universe (though they might've been joking), so that leaves me wondering where angels fit in, if they do at all.

What page does she do the glowing eye bit? Lisa might be a vampire, but given the Davy/Cody interactions she's on Cody's side if she is. Davy specifically is not the one in charge of the..."operations" at the middle school, and Cody is against his father. Assuming Lisa isn't a vampire sent to keep an eye on Cody, I'd assume she's either just a spooky person who has an inkling about what's going on, or doing stuff under Cody.
    Here and here. For reference, Cody. There's also her dialogue on this page, which I definitely don't think is just a setup for a cheap gag.

As for Lisa and Cody being connected... I dunno. They're part of the same friend group (which also includes Ed, Violet, and Jeff), but we've yet to see them interact outside of that context. They're also the leaders of the Student Council and Resistance at Mayview respectively, which has... interesting implications for the ongoing school plot.

EDIT: Unrelated, I just noticed that at https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-136 "Mr. Spender" only knows about Isabel's shoulder because Hijack is talking through him. (Hijack takes over at a bit before page 100 or something, right? When Spender opens the door for him)
    Huh, looking back and rereading this with that one tidbit in mind makes this feel very intricately arranged.
    Yeah, several of the things that Hijack!Spender says and does really only make sense on a second read-through. And/or have a more tragic light since Isabel thinks her mentor is looking out for her, when really it's an empathetic spirit noticing that she's in pain.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I forgot about Max's spirit too until my second read-through.

Davy also makes reference to the vice principal (as "the witch", before we learn who that refers to), so she's definitely supernatural to some degree. Why she reacted the way she did when she crossed paths with Mina is what I'm really curious about. Doesn't recognize her somehow? Chose not to instigate a conflict in front of innocent bystanders? Something else?
    It's reasonable to assume that the VP was at least going to be supernatural in some regard. It doesn't stop her from being yet another thing on the story's plate though, which is annoying for predictions.

Speaking of, I'm very curious what exactly the angel's deal is. She doesn't really fit in with anything we know regarding how spirits act and behave. Zack also said that demons are not a thing in the comic's universe (though they might've been joking), so that leaves me wondering where angels fit in, if they do at all.
    I'd imagine "angel" is more of a title given to a strong spirit with an angelic appearance. Sphinxes "exist" as what seems to be a subsection of spirits. One of the assumptions with this kind of story is either that the afterlife in the stereotypical sense does not exist, or exists in such a way that it can barely be seen in the main story.

As for Lisa and Cody being connected... I dunno. They're part of the same friend group (which also includes Ed, Violet, and Jeff), but we've yet to see them interact outside of that context. They're also the leaders of the Student Council and Resistance at Mayview respectively, which has... interesting implications for the ongoing school plot.
    This is certainly something that's got plenty of meat on its bones, but we have to wait for a bit longer. I'm pretty much only assuming that if Lisa is a vampire and not sent by Davy, then she's working for Cody or something to that general effect. No better way to keep a town running happily than by playing the game from both sides, after all, and this applies to overwhelmingly elaborate middle school plots too.

You could also see them as being representative of opposite ends of a friend group too, with both sides trying to get what they want out of the deal. Of course, that's more just the school itself, and in that case Lisa being supernatural isn't as relevant, though it would be fitting.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A discovery while rereading the last few pages of Chapter 6: One of the members of the cult that the psychic lady is a part of is the same person that the Pixhellhounds report to. I'd thought he (they?) was some kind of humanoid spirit, but this suggests they're actually human, which raises... all kinds of additional questions.

I'd imagine "angel" is more of a title given to a strong spirit with an angelic appearance. Sphinxes "exist" as what seems to be a subsection of spirits. One of the assumptions with this kind of story is either that the afterlife in the stereotypical sense does not exist, or exists in such a way that it can barely be seen in the main story.
    I could see that being a possibility, though the divine imagery surrounding her still leaves me wondering.

This is certainly something that's got plenty of meat on its bones, but we have to wait for a bit longer. I'm pretty much only assuming that if Lisa is a vampire and not sent by Davy, then she's working for Cody or something to that general effect. No better way to keep a town running happily than by playing the game from both sides, after all, and this applies to overwhelmingly elaborate middle school plots too.

You could also see them as being representative of opposite ends of a friend group too, with both sides trying to get what they want out of the deal. Of course, that's more just the school itself, and in that case Lisa being supernatural isn't as relevant, though it would be fitting.
    Yeah, her being a vampire is still up in the air. I am definitely in favor of "spooky girl with some knowledge of the supernatural" at the very least. Suzy also calls her a "witch" at one point which, given the whole thing with the vice principal, definitely feels like a deliberate word choice by Zack.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

It occurred to me that in this context, "witch" could hypothetically refer to a member of a cult instead of actual magic power. Given that we know Mayview does, in fact, have it's own local Doom Cultists, it's plausible that the Vice Principal has political power within the town. In a bit of a stretch, since we know Davy wants to cover the land that makes up the circumference of the two hills (presumably linked to whatever power lays in Mayview), "the balance of power" may refer to having the VP be occupied with the school to stop her from trying to use her influence in the cult to counteract Davy's efforts.

A cult would also be something that could traumatize a child, especially given the VP's behavior.

It's perfectly plausible that the cult is also mixed up in this supernatural stuff, and maaaay happen to be related to the dark robe guys (seems to be the same outfits, they could have a spectral or two in it), though it's equally possible that the cult mentioned is completely irrelevant and just is going to show the many stacked layers of sinister plans that are occurring in the town.

-Squire Doodad

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It occurred to me that in this context, "witch" could hypothetically refer to a member of a cult instead of actual magic power. Given that we know Mayview does, in fact, have it's own local Doom Cultists, it's plausible that the Vice Principal has political power within the town. In a bit of a stretch, since we know Davy wants to cover the land that makes up the circumference of the two hills (presumably linked to whatever power lays in Mayview), "the balance of power" may refer to having the VP be occupied with the school to stop her from trying to use her influence in the cult to counteract Davy's efforts.
    Given that the cult and Davy are involved in both human and spirit affairs (though those two tend to go hand-in-hand in Mayview, it seems), I could certainly see something along those lines being a possibility.

It's perfectly plausible that the cult is also mixed up in this supernatural stuff, and maaaay happen to be related to the dark robe guys (seems to be the same outfits, they could have a spectral or two in it), though it's equally possible that the cult mentioned is completely irrelevant and just is going to show the many stacked layers of sinister plans that are occurring in the town.
    The cult is definitely mixed up in supernatural stuff. If you look at the two pages I linked in my last post, the broad-shouldered cultist with the translator spirit sitting on his shoulder appears in both. It might be two different characters, but I strongly doubt it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The cult is definitely mixed up in supernatural stuff. If you look at the two pages I linked in my last post, the broad-shouldered cultist with the translator spirit sitting on his shoulder appears in both. It might be two different characters, but I strongly doubt it.
    I didn't notice the translator spirit. Yup, another side to this conflict.

And here I thought Chapter 6 was going to give us background to lower the number of loose ends

-Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 4
    Show
    Alright, let's get this show on the road (probably by explaining what happened to Ed's parents).

Peep the edge of Dimitri's afro in the picture on the right. And I guess Spender used a shovel as a tool at some point?
    Last edited by KatsOfLoathing; 2020-05-08 at 09:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 4
    Show
    Alright, let's get this show on the road (probably by explaining what happened to Ed's parents).

Peep the edge of Dimitri's afro in the picture on the right. And I guess Spender used a shovel as a tool at some point?
    I mean, what did you think happened before Lucifer dragged him out of a lake? That Spender just magically shot proton torpedoes anyways?
    I am looking forward to shovel spirit though.

-Squire Doodad

28. - Top - End - #28

Thanks for reminding me of that comic. I forgot about it when it went on hiatus.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 5
    Show
    Good to know Zarei and Spender haven't changed much since their teenage years.

Two-year-old Ed is freaking adorable. And apparently had already broken through as a spectral? Wonder how relevant that detail is going to be.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 5
    Show
    Two-year-old Ed is freaking adorable. And apparently had already broken through as a spectral? Wonder how relevant that detail is going to be.
    Well, implications already abound in this strip ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to meet his mother - for the first time maybe - in Boss Leader's dreamworld? That's a kid that's already had less-than-ordinary experiences, right there.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.