New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Blood Oath

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Blood Oath

I'm running an Earthdawn campaign and I've run into a question that will most likely come up in the gaming the session. Here is the setup:

The party is currently traveling through a jungle on a treasure hunt. They stopped at a native village and the party's fighter agreed to a blood oath with the village elder in exchange for medical help for one of the party members. To fullfill the oath he has one year to attack someone to keep the location of the native village hidden from outsiders. The "attacking part" is something the fighter insisted on because until he fullfills the oath he gets an attack roll bonus. During the next session after the party has travelled on they will run into a nobleman's hunting party that is tracking down an escaped slave. Would attacking that hunting party fullfill the oath? On the one if the hunting party found the native village that would be really bad for the village, but the hunting party is not looking for it and it is fairly unlikely that they would stumble upon it by accident. What do you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Blood Oath

I'd say attacking the hunting party will only count if the hunting party is likely to stumble upon it on their own. You're not keeping anything a secret if you start randomly murdering anyone nearby... that encourages people to come looking for them.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.